Il Pizzaiolo - Mt. Lebanon
703 Washington Road
Mount Lebanon, PA 15228Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Il Pizzaiolo - Mt. Lebanon
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://ilpizzaiolo.com/
- Phone: 4123444123
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner: Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday 12:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday 12:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Il Pizzaiolo - Mt. Lebanon
Opened in 1996 by Pittsburgh native Ron Molinaro, Il Pizzaiolo started with a simple credo: create Neapolitan pizza using old-world techniques and the highest-quality ingredients available. Since then, the restaurant has become a vibrant gathering place for lovers of Neapolitan pizza, pasta and Italian wine. Nearly everything on the menu is hand-made. And if it’s not made in-house, it’s imported from the best artisans, cheese-makers and salumeria in the world. Mozzarella di Bufala comes direct from Naples every Thursday and the pizzas are baked at 1000˚ in a handcrafted, wood-fired brick oven for less than 90 seconds. This, along with perfectly leavened dough, San Marzano tomatoes and extra virgin olive oil, produces the most authentic Neapolitan pizza possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Il Pizzaiolo - Mt. Lebanon - Best Restaurants in Mt. Lebanon ›
Il Pizzaiolo - Mt. Lebanon reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)great for outdoor dining (41)fit for foodies (33)notable wine list (31)special occasion (27)romantic (20)great for lunch (20)good for groups (17)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (15)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (9)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Never disappointed....Rob15216Dined on 9/15/2014As always, the service, the food and the overall experience was great. I brought out of town corporate guests, and they had an amazing time. Thank you!Special Features:
- Superb as AlwaysChablis33Dined on 9/15/2014Whatever you order at Il Pizziolo in Mt. Lebanon is wonderful. The wait staff is super friendly and helpful to guide you to new selections, because, if you're a regular, as you will likely become, you may tend to order the same wonderful dishes over and over again. I love their soups, antipasti, and pizza--best!!!Special Features:
- Secret patioluvgoodfoodDined on 9/7/2014Really nice patio where one feels as if they are not in Pittsburgh! It's refreshing to find something other that a chain at this level.It's like sitting in your private secret garden.Food is VERY good with variety,great wines also.Service also very attentive.Highly recommend Il PizzaolioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pasta & meatballs!LarisDined on 9/4/2014We had been wanting to try Il Pizzaiolo for quite some time, and now we are so happy we did. We did not get any of their popular wood-fire pizza, but I definitely recommend getting one of their dishes with homemade pasta. Not all of the pasta on the menu is homemade, so ask your waiter or waitress. I had the bolognese on homemade pasta & it was delicious. My husband had the rigatoni with meatballs - rigatoni is not homemade but the meatballs are & totally worth it (we had them as an appetizer & he wanted more). Everything was fabulous. Will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Best martinis in town. Food is consistently excellent. A dinner on the patio on a nice summer night, can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine Bar and Pizza!margarDined on 8/26/2014Great service at the Wine Bar. Excellent recommendations on wine and food by our server. TVs in the wine bar dining area were playing a strange movie, but it was easy not to watchSpecial Features:
- Delizioso !!ciaoDined on 8/15/2014The food and drinks were, once again, delizioso! It is our go-to restaurant when we want exceptional food and the only place my daughter requests when she comes home from college. The wait staff is very knowledgeable, friendly and efficient, regardless of how busy they are. The penne a la vodka was cooked perfectly al dente, gnocchi with mozzarella is a real treat, and the drinks are unique. I've never had a disappointing meal yet and ready to come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great meal at Il PizmbluvssbhDined on 8/9/2014We have eaten here many times as we live in walking distance. This time we brought out-of-towners with 2 picky teens. We shared the arancini and a salad, both were terrific. All the adults and one teen had pasta, all good. FYI the pasta is served al dente. The linguine with clams was loaded with little necks in the shell. The youngest wanted pepperoni pizza (not on the menu) and they happily made her one. It is loud and can be difficult to speak but has a great vibe. If your not familiar with Italian wines the we have found the waiters to be knowledgeable and helpful with recommendations.Special Features:
- Our favorite2ndfiftyDined on 8/6/2014We celebrate all our special occasions here! The food is wonderful and all freshly prepared. The ambience is chic but comfortable and reminds us of where we used to live, New York. What a gem for the South Hills!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian diningKCOMODined on 8/2/2014Excellent wine list. Great beer selection. All Italian. Pizza is excellent. Pasta dishes are awesome. Unique drink menu with a cozy bar in the back building. We will continue to dine here. Love it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We live in Boston, MA...DJulianIIVIPDined on 8/2/2014But we are originally from the Pittsburgh area. No matter how busy we are whenever we visit, we always make time to stop at Il Pizzaiolo! We only have great things to say about this restaurant! We will continue to visit again and again.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Ill Pizzaiolo is one of the best restaurants in the burgh (my favorite) - everything was fantastic - we had the Arancini, 2 types of pizza (Sausage and Arugula/Proscuitto), and the Eggplant. Service was great, as was the wine - will keep coming back here!Special Features:
- mwallace3544VIPDined on 7/29/2014Had the wedding soup and it was exceptional. Also ordered a cheese and meat plate and this was just ok. My server was very knowledgable about the wine list even though it was new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchRetiredDined on 7/29/2014Server was extremely knowledgeable and recommended wine. Best Gnocchi I've had. Wish they would open in the North Hills.Special Features:
- Just amazing, as always.PinchvalveDined on 7/25/2014Our other party was running a little late, but the staff was very friendly and allowed us to sit in the bar and enjoy a glass of wine while we waited. (without giving up our reservation or threatening us like some places do.) I decided not to make any decisions, and left the wine and food suggestions up to the staff. The bar staff came through with an excellent choice, and our waitress did not disappoint with a short rib Ziti that was out of this world and a chilled Red that was unusual, but amazing. The rest of the meals in our party were equally amazing. Nothing disappointed, and the entire staff was friendly, attentive and accommodating. We ended the night back in the bar, which is the ideal spot for a nightcap.Special Features:
- Amazing food, great staffTK101Dined on 7/24/2014I can't say enough about how good the food is. I've never had a bad meal here, and try something new each time I come. Favorites are the arancini, tagliatelle bolognese, and the many veal dishes. And the pizza is perfect - just like in Italy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2014Always Fabulous! Enjoy ti every time. The staff, the food, the manager always a treat!Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014I'll say that the food was good and warm when it arrived, but the prices are too high. The service was friendly enough, but pretty inattentive and the food took a long time to arrive. 45 minutes is a bit too long to wait for lunch. So $80 (including tip) for a lunch for two that took almost two hours when there are many comparable options in the Mt. Lebanon area will have us going elsewhere.
- Patio under tree, rain, romanticPhantomDinerDined on 7/18/2014The waiter was very good, the food excellent. It was like sitting in Europe out on the patio and when the rain started and almost everyone had to go in, we didn't, cause we were under a tree and didn't even know it was raining. A very nice eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014We took friends for the first time so we wanted reservations so we didn't wait all night.! We got there and wanted outside terrace dining. They told us that we could not use our reservation for that area, but we were seated in the back bar, which has such a great feel we loved that! Our food was good, but came out in weird timing. We actually thought that they forgot our main course since it took a while to come to the table. We ordered a few appetizers, salad, pizzas, and pasta. The food was very good!The entire dining experience was almost 2 hours. The wine list is a little challenging to read. The server and bartender did a nice job in finding something comparable to what we wanted The food is a little pricey for pizza and pasta.Special Features:
- great outdoor atmosphereBuckeye412Dined on 7/17/2014I prefer the outdoor patio than their dining room. Food was good along with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian foodLeslDined on 7/9/2014Food is very good. Prices have gotten much higher lately...quite pricey . Pizzas more $ and size is smaller. Used to be able to share between 2 of us....not anymore...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014We enjoy eating outside for our anniversary every year! Cute, cozy, & romantic at outdoor tables! Fabulous waiters & waitresses! Yummy food! Fantastic desserts made by Jody!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love it here.RobertoVIPDined on 7/6/2014The food at this restaurant is always amazing - I've never been disappointed. Everyone in our party of 7 was happy with their meals.Special Features:
- WinefoodshoewomanVIPDined on 7/3/2014Food and service great. A bit loud this time...but we love going here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artisan Pizza!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2014Our server was great, as was the food!! However, it was all overpriced. We ordered 2 glasses of wine, one large salad, 2 pizzas, 2 desserts, 2 coffees = $95. We were supposed to have bread at the table w/our salad, but they were out of bread. Odd. The salad and pizzas (1- spicy salami; 1- mushroom) were excellent!! The lemon dessert was also very good. The pear dessert was bland.Special Features:
- Not bad, but not impressedAmandaDined on 7/1/2014My friends all had great things to say about this place, but I wasn't impressed. We sat in the wine bar, waited over an hour, despite there only being one table sat at. The food was average at best. The service was so-so, probably would've been better if the bartender didn't have to watch the bar (which was full) and 3 tables by herself. There was 9 of us, so maybe the experience would be better with only 2-4, but I don't think I'll be itching to get back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Il Pizzaiola ReviewPizzaDined on 6/27/2014This was our 3rd visit and each time we have been to Il Pizzaiola we have been very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014Food was really delicious and arrived quickly. Both my husband and I were happy with our choices. Only complaint was after my husband and I had ordered and gotten our food, we heard our waiter and then another waiter mention a special they were offering, we were never told there was a special. We wouldn't have ordered it on this night once we heard what it was, but it could have been something we wanted so should have had the option to choose it,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KikkiDined on 6/12/2014Nice place but very noisy. Service good in general. Of the six diners they got one of the orders wrong but ended up taking the entree off of the final bill.Special Features:
- Love il pizzaioloOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2014Il pizzaiolo has some of the best pizza in Pittsburgh. Try the prosciutto and arugula.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pass on the Pasta, Get the PizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014The prociutto arugala pizza is incredible but you can't go wrong with any pizza on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightSColombDined on 6/6/2014My wife and I ate in the wine bar for a Friday night date night. We had delicious wine and started with the arancini followed by the prosciutto and arugula pizza. Everything was great. There was a very noisy table next to us, but it was Friday night and we were in the bar so we knew what to expect. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/5/2014Great pizza, excellent wine; the wine bar was too noisy we should have sat outside on the patio which is always very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always molto bello!AllieDined on 6/5/2014Dining alfresco in the beautiful garden on the consistently delicious Il Pizzaiolo food is one of my favorite things to do! Incredibly enjoyable... feels like a little touch of Italy and the wait staff are always calm yet courteous, knowledgable and there only when you need them! Will always remain a "special treat" to me!Special Features:
- That's Amore!alyssaannDined on 6/3/2014I have come to Il Pizzaiolo on multiple occasions and most recently did so for my boyfriend's birthday. Our reserved table was ready the moment that we stepped in the door and our server was attentive throughout the entire evening. We each had the lasagne, which was absolutely delicious. Il Pizzaiolo never fails to satisfy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/1/2014Always the best! Best Pizza anywhere and Sunday Ragu is out of this world!!!Special Features:
- DisappointingGmanJaxDined on 5/30/2014We saw the reviews of this place and decided to check it out. Our food was ok, but the prices here are unbelievable. My wife had the lasagna and I had the rigatoni and meatballs. Lasagna was very good, rigatoni and meatballs was average. We each had a glass of wine and our bill with tip (20%) was $75.00. I just relocated here but I think there are probably better options.
- The following 55 reviews are from the Il Pizzaiolo - Mt. Lebanon reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/15/2014The food was very tasty and we didn't have to wait long for it. The service was friendly and responsive. The restaurant was a bit loud, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al frescoSushi4meDined on 5/12/2014Food is amazing and best Italian cuisine in Pittsburgh! Service is attentive and ambience is delightful. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.