Il Pizzaiolo - Mt. Lebanon
703 Washington Road
Mount Lebanon, PA 15228Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Il Pizzaiolo - Mt. Lebanon
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://ilpizzaiolo.com/
- Phone: (412) 344-4123
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner: Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday 12:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday 12:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Il Pizzaiolo - Mt. Lebanon
Opened in 1996 by Pittsburgh native Ron Molinaro, Il Pizzaiolo started with a simple credo: create Neapolitan pizza using old-world techniques and the highest-quality ingredients available. Since then, the restaurant has become a vibrant gathering place for lovers of Neapolitan pizza, pasta and Italian wine. Nearly everything on the menu is hand-made. And if it’s not made in-house, it’s imported from the best artisans, cheese-makers and salumeria in the world. Mozzarella di Bufala comes direct from Naples every Thursday and the pizzas are baked at 1000˚ in a handcrafted, wood-fired brick oven for less than 90 seconds. This, along with perfectly leavened dough, San Marzano tomatoes and extra virgin olive oil, produces the most authentic Neapolitan pizza possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Il Pizzaiolo - Mt. Lebanon - Best Restaurants in Mt. Lebanon ›
Il Pizzaiolo - Mt. Lebanon reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (54)fit for foodies (40)notable wine list (39)great for outdoor dining (30)special occasion (29)romantic (19)hot spot (19)good for groups (18)great for lunch (17)vibrant bar scene (14)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (7)scenic view (3)Show More
- always awesomeMtLebomcb1Dined on 11/15/2014Il Pizz is always a good choice. The food is amazing and I have never had bad service. It's worth the wait although so much easier now that available through Open Table. It's the perfect neighborhood place and I would recommend it to anyone looking for amazing pizza or authentic gourmet Italian food. We pick this as out number 1 place and "go to" in Mt. Lebo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food - expensive wine listPickymuchDined on 11/8/2014NO BYOB/corkage fee available here, you are going to be forced into paying two times market rate for a bottle of wine. The food is remarkably good but the place is super loud, making conversation very difficult. They have a very cool secondary building that houses a very European style bar. Also an outdoor space that looks pretty fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian StyleTonyJDined on 11/8/2014I must say, the menu, the setting, and the ambiance all coincide with an authentic Italian feel. The list of micro-brews from breweries in Italy was an especially surprising touch...very good! Finally in closing, their Neapolitan pizzas reminded me of the pizza I had in Italy when visiting....yeah, it's that authentic. :):):) -TonySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating Italian is good for youPersonDined on 11/6/2014Il Pizzaiolo never disappoints. Italian food requires the best simple ingredients with a flawless execution, and Il P delivers. The restaurant is comfortable but lively and I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Eveningluvs2eatDined on 11/5/2014We had the opportunity to dine in the wine bar. The atmosphere was terrific. Our service was outstanding and the food was great! We tried several appetizers and our entire group had pasta dishes - everyone cleaned their plates! I would recommend this restaurant to everyone and I will certainly go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, good food but loudPTDorDined on 10/23/2014This was our first visit to his restaurant after a miserable experience at their Market Square location. It was like night and day and overall an enjoyable experience. The fried pasta app was good (big), the mussels and manila clams linguine we're both good although the pasta was salty. The pizza crust bread was a nice touch. Service was very good though. Young kid was knowledgeable and attentive and knew the menu very well. He was able to discuss gluten free options easily. Only real complaint was noise level. The dining room is very loud. I am not a fan of young kids (high school or early college age) as hosts. They just go through the motions more like robots and don't like to go much out of the way to help. Happy to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still greatLeslDined on 10/18/2014We have been going here since it opened. About 15 years. Most negative is the noise level in the main restaurant and the wine bar. Prices have gone up and size of pizzas shrunken...but still good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow down!winerdinerDined on 10/16/2014The ambiance was fantastic, the food was excellent, the wine was delicious but the employees just wanted to leave. We had an 8:30 reservation and the minute we sat down it was apparent that the servers had somewhere to go. We finished with our meals by 9:45 and wanted to have a drink by the fire but it had already been turned off for the night. The employees need to be trained that closing at 10:00 means that employees start end of shift work after that. Its so annoying when you drop a few hundred for a relaxing night out and the servers just want you to leave.Special Features:
- Birthday35Dined on 10/15/2014Dinner was great. the accoustics in the wine bar make it a little hard to hear conversations at times. We also had someone who was getting texts at a very loud volume which was annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pizza & PastaSIB225Dined on 10/12/2014We all had either a Pizza or a Pasta. They were all terrific, especially the pastas--perfectly cooked, terrific sauce, interesting combinations. Everything made with fresh simple ingredients cooked perfectly. Staff was friendly and attentive. A real neighborhood gem; worth driving out of Pittsburgh to to Mt. Lebanon for.Special Features:
- One of our favorite places!NotQuiteAFoodieDined on 10/10/2014Wonderful food, atmosphere and service. We love to sit in the wine bar area. The ambiance makes you forget you're in PA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian Dining in PittsburghWynkDined on 10/10/2014By far, best restaurant in Pittsburgh (both locations) for the highest quality food, ingredients, and flavors of Italian cuisine. IlPizzaiolo has recreated the best of Italy in Pittsburgh. Ambiance is warm, cozy, and happening. Service is excellent and not hurried. Wait staff is always educated on the menu, and professional. A consistent outstanding experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great, price too high.boosieDined on 10/8/2014The food is some of the best I have had in Pittsburgh, however the prices are just way too high. I am surprised that they can get away with charging so much for simple Italian dishes.Special Features:
- Great Desserts!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014Way overpriced & very very noisy. Could not hear the person sitting across from me. Highly recommend the desserts, the best part of the Neal! Received my cafe latte & it was COLD. Will not hurry back there unless for the dessert.I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014I really enjoyed our recent meal for our parents' 40th anniversary. The food was excellent! The only thing I can suggest is to put up some panels on the walls or ceilings to cut down on the noise. It was difficult to hear the conversation at our table over the other conversations. I will definitely eat there again, though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High decibelTravelerDined on 9/27/20143 yrs ago, our table was nicely situated outside within the interior courtyard. At that time, the evening/food were pleasant, very enjoyable. However, this time, we quickly realized our venue choice was a mistake, as conversation was virtually impossible with our out of town guests. Unfortunately, we departed the restaurant disappointed prior to ordering, & after we called/reserved a table at a different restaurant nearby. Our table at Il Pizziola was located within the entry dining area near the street. The noise level was an unbearable echo chamber equivalent to a German brewery bar (crowded, Clanging silverware & dishes, screaming child, loud conversations). Recommend: only reserve a table in wine bar or within interior courtyard.Special Features:
- Great food, a bit loudGandKDined on 9/27/2014Our first time at Il Pizzaiolo. The entrees were great, dessert was great. The noise level was a bit loud, especially with the child that was screaming. We were a bit over dressed, as we saw a number of people casual, but we also saw a large number of what must have been High School home coming couple come in that were in formal dress too. Our server - (Sorry, I'm terrible with names...Rudolph, I think?) was great. He spent extra time explaining which pastas were made on site and which imported, and also helped us with the wine list and dessert menu. Overall, a very nice place and a very good dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il PizzaiolobackagainDined on 9/26/2014We live in the neighborhood and often want to venture away, but "Il Piz" just cant be beat. There are three unique spaces within, all of which deliver wonderful atmosphere. First is the restaurant out front, eating in front of the brick oven, on the busting 'uptown' Mt. Lebanon thoroughfare. This is where you run into friends and neighbors always....if you want more romance, or privacy or just feel like lingering, ask if the courtyard is open, and you are transported into an Italian piazza.....finally, the wine bar in the back is yet another fantastic space, uber cool and where folks unwind after a busy week and louge on cool sofas.....feels like a secret club......But all this means nothing without the fabulous food. Thanks Il PizSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long Wait for TableOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/20/2014We had a 8pm reservation for 4 for dinner. We showed up at 7:30pm and checked in with the hostess and went up to the wine bar for drinks. After checking back in the hostess on two occasions we still didn't get seated at our table for dinner until 9:20pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2014inside was very noisy, outside tables were very nice & quiet.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Very nice neighborhood restaurant. Food was very good and high quality. Nice change of pace from the usual Italian fare. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local FavoriteLynnDined on 9/19/2014Il Pizzaiolo is a neighborhood gem. Hard to find a bowl of pasta that so closely matches an authentic Italy experience. We love the food and atmosphere and are never disappointed with our meals.Special Features:
- Never disappointed....Rob15216VIPDined on 9/15/2014As always, the service, the food and the overall experience was great. I brought out of town corporate guests, and they had an amazing time. Thank you!Special Features:
- Superb as AlwaysChablis33VIPDined on 9/15/2014Whatever you order at Il Pizziolo in Mt. Lebanon is wonderful. The wait staff is super friendly and helpful to guide you to new selections, because, if you're a regular, as you will likely become, you may tend to order the same wonderful dishes over and over again. I love their soups, antipasti, and pizza--best!!!Special Features:
- Secret patioluvgoodfoodDined on 9/7/2014Really nice patio where one feels as if they are not in Pittsburgh! It's refreshing to find something other that a chain at this level.It's like sitting in your private secret garden.Food is VERY good with variety,great wines also.Service also very attentive.Highly recommend Il PizzaolioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pasta & meatballs!LarisDined on 9/4/2014We had been wanting to try Il Pizzaiolo for quite some time, and now we are so happy we did. We did not get any of their popular wood-fire pizza, but I definitely recommend getting one of their dishes with homemade pasta. Not all of the pasta on the menu is homemade, so ask your waiter or waitress. I had the bolognese on homemade pasta & it was delicious. My husband had the rigatoni with meatballs - rigatoni is not homemade but the meatballs are & totally worth it (we had them as an appetizer & he wanted more). Everything was fabulous. Will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Best martinis in town. Food is consistently excellent. A dinner on the patio on a nice summer night, can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine Bar and Pizza!margarDined on 8/26/2014Great service at the Wine Bar. Excellent recommendations on wine and food by our server. TVs in the wine bar dining area were playing a strange movie, but it was easy not to watchSpecial Features:
- Delizioso !!ciaoDined on 8/15/2014The food and drinks were, once again, delizioso! It is our go-to restaurant when we want exceptional food and the only place my daughter requests when she comes home from college. The wait staff is very knowledgeable, friendly and efficient, regardless of how busy they are. The penne a la vodka was cooked perfectly al dente, gnocchi with mozzarella is a real treat, and the drinks are unique. I've never had a disappointing meal yet and ready to come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great meal at Il PizmbluvssbhDined on 8/9/2014We have eaten here many times as we live in walking distance. This time we brought out-of-towners with 2 picky teens. We shared the arancini and a salad, both were terrific. All the adults and one teen had pasta, all good. FYI the pasta is served al dente. The linguine with clams was loaded with little necks in the shell. The youngest wanted pepperoni pizza (not on the menu) and they happily made her one. It is loud and can be difficult to speak but has a great vibe. If your not familiar with Italian wines the we have found the waiters to be knowledgeable and helpful with recommendations.Special Features:
- Our favorite2ndfiftyDined on 8/6/2014We celebrate all our special occasions here! The food is wonderful and all freshly prepared. The ambience is chic but comfortable and reminds us of where we used to live, New York. What a gem for the South Hills!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian diningKCOMODined on 8/2/2014Excellent wine list. Great beer selection. All Italian. Pizza is excellent. Pasta dishes are awesome. Unique drink menu with a cozy bar in the back building. We will continue to dine here. Love it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We live in Boston, MA...DJulianIIVIPDined on 8/2/2014But we are originally from the Pittsburgh area. No matter how busy we are whenever we visit, we always make time to stop at Il Pizzaiolo! We only have great things to say about this restaurant! We will continue to visit again and again.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Ill Pizzaiolo is one of the best restaurants in the burgh (my favorite) - everything was fantastic - we had the Arancini, 2 types of pizza (Sausage and Arugula/Proscuitto), and the Eggplant. Service was great, as was the wine - will keep coming back here!Special Features:
- mwallace3544VIPDined on 7/29/2014Had the wedding soup and it was exceptional. Also ordered a cheese and meat plate and this was just ok. My server was very knowledgable about the wine list even though it was new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchRetiredDined on 7/29/2014Server was extremely knowledgeable and recommended wine. Best Gnocchi I've had. Wish they would open in the North Hills.Special Features:
- Just amazing, as always.PinchvalveDined on 7/25/2014Our other party was running a little late, but the staff was very friendly and allowed us to sit in the bar and enjoy a glass of wine while we waited. (without giving up our reservation or threatening us like some places do.) I decided not to make any decisions, and left the wine and food suggestions up to the staff. The bar staff came through with an excellent choice, and our waitress did not disappoint with a short rib Ziti that was out of this world and a chilled Red that was unusual, but amazing. The rest of the meals in our party were equally amazing. Nothing disappointed, and the entire staff was friendly, attentive and accommodating. We ended the night back in the bar, which is the ideal spot for a nightcap.Special Features:
- Amazing food, great staffTK101Dined on 7/24/2014I can't say enough about how good the food is. I've never had a bad meal here, and try something new each time I come. Favorites are the arancini, tagliatelle bolognese, and the many veal dishes. And the pizza is perfect - just like in Italy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 77 reviews are from the Il Pizzaiolo - Mt. Lebanon reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/21/2014Always Fabulous! Enjoy ti every time. The staff, the food, the manager always a treat!Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014I'll say that the food was good and warm when it arrived, but the prices are too high. The service was friendly enough, but pretty inattentive and the food took a long time to arrive. 45 minutes is a bit too long to wait for lunch. So $80 (including tip) for a lunch for two that took almost two hours when there are many comparable options in the Mt. Lebanon area will have us going elsewhere.