2025 Sansom St.
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ilpittore.com/
- Phone: 2153914900
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Chris Painter
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Counter Seating, Wine
A word from Il Pittore
Nestled on a small side street at the edge of Rittenhouse Square, Il Pittore brings the romantic spirit of Italy to Philadelphia. Its quaint ambiance, created by rich woods, hand-painted murals and a rooftop herb garden, invokes the cozy feeling of a villa in the Italian countryside. Highly acclaimed Chef Chris Painter uses his culinary artistry to bring the fresh flavors of Italian ingredients to a truly modern menu. To accompany your meal, our sommelier will adeptly assist you with a selection from our 200 bottle Italian wine list. On the first floor, a dining counter for 12 and a communal table for 8 bring people together in a vibrant social setting to share a glass of wine and a bowl of pasta. The main dining room on the second floor provides guests with a more traditional a la carte dining experience. A large bay window, skylight, communal table and comfortable banquette seating set the mood for a memorable meal. We look forward to your visit. Ciao and grazie!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Il Pittore - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Il Pittore reviews from OpenTable diners
188 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (137)special occasion (127)notable wine list (99)romantic (96)neighborhood gem (65)hot spot (23)good for groups (22)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Amazing food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/13/2014One of the best evenings ever - food is amazing and all very fresh. Service is perfect. Wine list and stewards are incredible.Special Features:
- One of the BestSandyDVIPDined on 9/12/2014It was our third time there and we are never disappointed. Their specials, homemade pasta, great list of wines keeps this restaurant at the top of our list and we have hit a lot of the city notable places. The service is first rate. When we are asked where to get great Italian food in the city, this is our first response and out first choice.Special Features:
- Nice food, great serviceMeMeDined on 9/12/2014Had brussel sprouts side as appetizer and suckling pig main; ricotta cheesecake for desert. All excellent! Service was attentive and helpful from start to finish. Only complaint is over-priced and under-poured wine. $14 a glass, for what had to be less than 4 oz... comes out to over $110/bottle for some nice but not extraordinary wine. that's ridiculousSpecial Features:
- Delicious Italian!foodsnobVIPDined on 9/11/2014Stunning meal - our first one in Philadelphia for a quick 3 day weekend trip. Small bar downstairs, where we had a great bartender who recommended lovely drinks to start. Moved to a table upstairs, right at our reservation time. Ambiance is great - it's small and quaint. We started with a cheese board and the bread basket. Could have stopped there! Everything was great. There was one salad at the table, but it was enough for four of us to taste / enjoy. The pastas were hard to choose from, but all were delicious. And a small enough portion that having a main course didn't seem ridiculous. The suckling pig was probably the highlight of the meal. Delicious! Would recommend to others visiting Philly!Special Features:
- Food was good, service very slowOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/10/2014When I go to a fine dining restaurant, I do not expect a fast food experience. I enjoy dining and having food served within a reasonable time frame. The food at Il Pittore is very good, but not exceptional. The service may have been the slowest I have ever experienced. We did not receive our second or main course until well after an hour from when the order was placed. Il Pittore is not shy about their wine prices and do have a nice selection but servings of wine are quite a bit smaller that at most fine dining restaurants I have visited. There a many wonderful restaurants in Philly, I would not bother going back to this one.Special Features:
- Almost PerfectCWrightVIPDined on 9/8/2014The service was exceptional. The wine list is a bit unapproachable, there are reasonably priced Barolo's and Brunello's not all of them have to be over $130. We should have done the tasting menu, as the consistency would have been better. Our first two courses were great, baked ricotta should really be shared by at least two as it is far to large for one. The pasta dishes were cooked perfect, there could have been more lobster in the lobster tortellini. The entrees were however disappointed, the chef seemed to run out of steam. Both the rabbit and the pork belly were dry. Not sure how you make pork belly dry, but it was. The flavors were good, but overcooked meat trumps flavor every time. Despite that we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent enough but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/7/2014Pleasant space, white tablecloths, good stemware and decent food but tries too hard to be upscale; for instance the cheapest options include a $60 bottle of ok wine accompanied by a very nice sommelier (the beer selection is fairly priced but that would not be fair to the food). The food itself is enjoyable enough but finer touches were missing, the 'roasted' in the otherwise excellent tomato soup was undetectable as was the 'brown' in the butter sauce for the fish which probably would have benefited from not being served in a pile. I'm not in favor of large portions, particularly if I can get quality instead, but these seemed particularly stingy for the price. Unfortunately, there are many better value/quality options in town.
- OutstandingsatchDined on 9/6/2014A wonderful restaurant with impeccable food and an attentive and gracious staff. A Philadelphia gem.Special Features:
- FantasticJDK2014Dined on 9/6/2014Wasn't sure what to expect but man did Chef Painter and staff pay it off. From the hospitality to Frank's favorite Super Tuscan and of course the fabulous meal, I haven't had an overall dinner experience like that in a long time. I wish I could be more specific on each dish but there wasn't one thing we tried all night that we didn't thoroughly enjoy. Fantastic!Special Features:
- Primo Italian.iflyarmyDined on 9/5/2014Great food and fantastic service. The wine list is incredible but comes with a price. A meal to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding serviceMauriceDined on 9/5/2014The pasta dishes were excellent as well as the rest of the menu. We were a party of six and most of us had two courses although we were pushed to have three. My husband had the pasta with swordfish and it was delicious. Service was impeccable. It's a all hands on deck attitude. Waiter was quite knowledgeable about all aspects of the menu although pushed for the higher priced wines and when my husband chose the lower priced wines the waiter suggested getting double. Not wise when you have to drive home. The finish was dessert, I had small chocolate filled with a warm hazelnut creme with a vanilla cream dip. It was wonderful. My friend had the chocolate tart which was a little bland but refreshing. Very professional & cordial staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/4/2014We are a tough crowd but we had a wonderful experience from the moment we walked in to when we left the restaurant. The management and our server were all very knowledgable, polite, and attentive to our needs without being disruptive to the meal. The food was outstanding. Two of my family members are vegetarians and they had plenty of options to choose from. We tried four different pastas plus multiple appetizers, sides, and entrees and we loved everything. The specials of the evening were well prepared and very flavorful. All of the pastas were al dente and true Italian in flavor. The only criticism we had is that the food was too rich--it could have done with a bit less butter.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and serviceNYCPHLVIPDined on 9/4/2014Nice open space. A great place for a special occasion although we tend to go on regular nights as well. :) Vegetarian selection is limited but well prepared.Special Features:
- wonderful surprisegmanDined on 8/31/2014Matthew waited on us he was an excellent guide for the evenings tour of Italy. Everything we ate was excellent and timed perfectly. We never waited to long for the next course. The duck and lamb were both the highlight of the night, dessert was very well done and really completed our meal. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good foodLeCoupeDined on 8/31/2014Excellent food, very knowledgeable waitstaff, bar tender was great. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great italian food; formal settingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/31/2014The food and service were impeccable. Delicious Italian food plated in a classically trained way. Menu is very large and there were a lot of specials so hard to decide! Also thoroughly enjoyed the wine list. Will not be my "go to" in center city based on ambiance alone - very formal and would prefer amazing food and service in a more laid back setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableeatingfromnytocaDined on 8/30/2014Must try the pastas--the restaurants forte. The suckling pig was also very good. The beef short rib was only average but besides this particular dish, everything was absolutely delicious. The staff were also extremely knowledgeable and accommodated my daughters food allergies. Our server was very careful in going over the ingredients and was genuinely concerned about getting good food to the table for her. The service gave this restaurant an extra star. Bravo to the servers and even the hostess who was also very gracious.Special Features:
- I want to go again!DCKD14Dined on 8/30/2014We celebrated our anniversary here and had a fantastic experience. Everything from the water to the wine to everything we ordered to eat was nothing short of incredible. The staff was extremely professional. We had Larry and Michael as our services and they were personal, fun and they helped to make our dining experience really enjoyable. The wine list is extensive and the server who helped us make our choice picked a wine that was exactly what we described that we wanted. I would definitely recommend this for an awesome all around dining experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful Evening!kwyrofskyVIPDined on 8/27/2014I had been to Il Pittore once before with my husband and knew it would be a good choice for dinner with my parents and son. Six of us went Wednesday evening and all agreed the food and service were spectacular. Our waiter (I think his name was Matthew) was outstanding. Attentive, knowledgeable, without being pretentious. His suggestion were excellent, and he was pleasant with a good sense of humor. The food as well as the varied choices pleased even the foodies amount us. In addition, when we quickly needed to exit to see a show - we were assisted promptly. One final note, the noise volume is excellent here. It is lively, but all 6 of us could hear each other easily. A nice change from many popular restaurants. THANK YOU!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2eatLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/26/2014We have had dinner here several time, however our most recent experience was outstanding. We decided to have three courses because everything sounded wonderful. Each course went beyond what we expected. The wine that was recommended was excellent and we appreciated the suggestion. The staff is very knowledgeable about the wine and the food. We could not have had a better evening.Special Features:
- Best Dining Experience EverfoodloveandbeerDined on 8/25/2014I went here for dinner after I proposed to my girlfriend. We sat at the bar waiting for our table and the bartender noticed my now fiances ring and congratualted us and told us that they would take care of us and make the night even more special. They weren't lying. It was amazing. We in no way asked for any kind of special treatment but felt absoultly special with the service they provided us. The food was outstanding, presented with passion. The flavors were far beyond what we expected. The way this place takes care of their customers is incredible. They made us feel comfortable while taking the time to explain the menu and letting us sample wine before purchase. They make the dining experience truly unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- barjaymacDined on 8/24/2014The food is fabulous. We had a great meal, and a wonderful time. Linger over your meal, because it is excellent Have the roasted pig - it is "to die for" good. Wish I had had room for dessert, since the three courses I did have were delisious and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2014Amazing food and exceptional service - Matt took great care of us and we will definitely be going back. Too many great choices to try them all in only one visit.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Food was incredible and the service was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Painter's":perfect food & service!pafrog11VIPDined on 8/22/2014We have dined here several times, taking the 120 mile round trip journey for the sole purpose of having dinner. The other couples, "foodies" all, who we've introduced to the restaurant, have raved about the food and the service. Several of the wait staff are culinary school students or graduates and are extremely well versed on the menu. Chef Painter and his staff do an outstanding job in both the front and the back of the house!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary DiningPowysianVIPDined on 8/21/2014My wife and I had been to Il Pittore about a year ago and liked it very much. When we went again on Thursday night with another couple, everything seemed to have been taken up several notches in quality.We ordered a variety of dishes and shared most of them. The flavors, the textures, the presentations were all remarkably fine. The service was friendly, casual, and unobtrusive. When the evening's one flaw was detected--my wife found her desert sorbet too icy--the waiter quickly agreed and replaced it with a perfect substitute; management was profusely apologetic and refused to charge for the replacement. The list of mostly Italian wines was imaginatively chosen and wide ranging. No finer dining experience can be found in this city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!AnniVIPDined on 8/20/2014This is my second time at Il Pittore and I didn't expect the same overall experience. But we did! Perfection!Special Features:
- ExcellentKarenrVIPDined on 8/18/2014We've been here on several occasions. The ricotta appetizer was wonderful. The sommelier was spot on with his choice based on my criteria. I had the short ribs, mostly due to the table beside us that ordered it earlier - the aroma was fabulous. The suckling pig was delicious as well. Our server was very attentive without being intrusive. We all had a wonderful meal, in a lovely place, with first rate service. Well done Il Pitore! We will return soon. Best of all, it is in our neighborhood!Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014My wife and I recently had dinner at Il Pittore. This was one of the best meals we have had in recent memory. Walking up to the restaurant I was a little apprehensive but that feeling left as soon as I entered. The second floor dinning room was open and quite nice, not sitting on top of the next table was a welcome change. The food was very good but what made the dining experience was the service. This was the best service I have received in a long time. If you go, do yourself a favor and let the manager select wines to accompany your different courses. Overall this was a great night and we will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food!ew1802Dined on 8/16/2014My husband and I enjoyed the 4-course chef menu this past weekend. Although we were unsure if we would like each course when reading the menu, we were delighted to fall in love with everything on the plate! We have been to the restaurant twice and we will continue to go back because of the outstanding food!Special Features:
- Not quite worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014First question they ask is "sparkling or still water?" I did not realize that the still water was an $8 bottle of water and not tap water. I thought that was a little sneaky. A guest should not have to ask for tap water to get free water, it should be offered. Good food but not the "best chef in the city" as the staff had claimed. Service was good and they treated us to a couple glasses of wine for waiting so long which was nice. The meal took about 2.5 hours which was a little excessive. Just a little too expensive for the small portions of food, some of which was great, and some very forgettable. Did not feel like we got $250 worth. Too many other great options in the city to recommend spending that kind of money there.Special Features:
- Fantastic!!!TyapaDined on 8/9/2014Great menu!!! All pasta dishes were out of this world! Highly recommend to all Italian food lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014wine by glass is enough for tasting 2 spoon of soup for $15.00 4 small piece of red beets and 2 small piece of golden beets for $13.00 2 inche by 1 inche gelato I think costs $6.00 Entree was good You should be fluent in Italian to understand the mnues.
- Great Budiness DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014Dinner for 6 was perfect. Diverse gourmet menu had something for every one. Expensive but reliable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the right stuff!CrustyCurmudgeonVIPDined on 8/1/2014Our son & the wife of the couple with us had career advances & there's no better place to celebrate success than Il Pittore. Work's been very busy, & once home we've been cooking or staying in our suburban neighborhood this summer. So we really needed to return to a special place. We schlepped back into town after a long Fri at work & were welcomed & rewarded from ciao to ciao! Sockeye crudo, lamb sausage, salads, pastas w/mushrooms & with peppers, amazing fish - everything done to perfection, beautifully presented & served with style by wonderful people. As always, we were guided to great wines, new to us, at fair prices. This is la dolce vita - we're grateful that Il Pittore is there & that we can enjoy it. A word to the wise: do it too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- drewDined on 8/1/2014Terrible. Food average. Overpriced. Nothing notable. Service was, although exceptional.Special Features:
- Excellent meal and service!TKAGMADined on 7/27/2014Our family of four enjoyed an outstanding meal this past weekend. Every dish was amazing , especially the pasta. The service was perfect. One of our best meals ever! We highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PRETENTIOUS & NOT WORTH IT!NYCRunnerVIPDined on 7/26/2014Nice ambiance,"robotic" servers that keep saying everything is home-made. The meal took 3 plus hours! There was 1hour & 10 minutes between courses. No apology, no nothing. The older man in the table near us fell asleep waiting for his meal. The Crudo of salmon & Pappardelle w/boar & bread basket & cheesecake were the best things. Suckling pig, short ribs, lamb chops, pork chop were uninspired, under cooked or over salted. At 3 lamb chops for $36 you could expect them to be special.The brussels sprouts which the waiter pushed hard on were hard, not good! The dark chocolate tart was barely recognizable. If good service is sloooow & robotic with average/minus food for $100 per person this is your spot. Homemade does not = good.Special Features:
- Not worth the $FoofoobunnyDined on 7/26/2014Service was amazing!!Although the food was good...it didn't leave enough of an impression with me to justify the cost.Special Features:
- Great food and excellent service!MichaelSDined on 7/25/2014Our visit to Il Pittore was outstanding. The staff that greeted us upon our arrival were pleasant and courteous. The food was simply delicious. The Gnocchi melted in my mouth and was extremely flavorful. My short rib entree was also very good. My wife thoroughly enjoyed the Striped Bass. The service was also wonderful.Special Features: