2025 Sansom St.
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ilpittore.com/
- Phone: 2153914900
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Chris Painter
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Counter Seating, Wine
A word from Il Pittore
Nestled on a small side street at the edge of Rittenhouse Square, Il Pittore brings the romantic spirit of Italy to Philadelphia. Its quaint ambiance, created by rich woods, hand-painted murals and a rooftop herb garden, invokes the cozy feeling of a villa in the Italian countryside. Highly acclaimed Chef Chris Painter uses his culinary artistry to bring the fresh flavors of Italian ingredients to a truly modern menu. To accompany your meal, our sommelier will adeptly assist you with a selection from our 200 bottle Italian wine list. On the first floor, a dining counter for 12 and a communal table for 8 bring people together in a vibrant social setting to share a glass of wine and a bowl of pasta. The main dining room on the second floor provides guests with a more traditional a la carte dining experience. A large bay window, skylight, communal table and comfortable banquette seating set the mood for a memorable meal. We look forward to your visit. Ciao and grazie!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Il Pittore - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Il Pittore reviews from OpenTable diners
181 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (127)special occasion (123)notable wine list (96)romantic (89)neighborhood gem (69)hot spot (20)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Luv2eatLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/26/2014We have had dinner here several time, however our most recent experience was outstanding. We decided to have three courses because everything sounded wonderful. Each course went beyond what we expected. The wine that was recommended was excellent and we appreciated the suggestion. The staff is very knowledgeable about the wine and the food. We could not have had a better evening.Special Features:
- Best Dining Experience EverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014I went here for dinner after I proposed to my girlfriend. We sat at the bar waiting for our table and the bartender noticed my now fiances ring and congratualted us and told us that they would take care of us and make the night even more special. They weren't lying. It was amazing. We in no way asked for any kind of special treatment but felt absoultly special with the service they provided us. The food was outstanding, presented with passion. The flavors were far beyond what we expected. The way this place takes care of their customers is incredible. They made us feel comfortable while taking the time to explain the menu and letting us sample wine before purchase. They make the dining experience truly unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014The food is fabulous. We had a great meal, and a wonderful time. Linger over your meal, because it is excellent Have the roasted pig - it is "to die for" good. Wish I had had room for dessert, since the three courses I did have were delisious and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2014Amazing food and exceptional service - Matt took great care of us and we will definitely be going back. Too many great choices to try them all in only one visit.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Food was incredible and the service was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Painter's":perfect food & service!pafrog11VIPDined on 8/22/2014We have dined here several times, taking the 120 mile round trip journey for the sole purpose of having dinner. The other couples, "foodies" all, who we've introduced to the restaurant, have raved about the food and the service. Several of the wait staff are culinary school students or graduates and are extremely well versed on the menu. Chef Painter and his staff do an outstanding job in both the front and the back of the house!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary DiningPowysianVIPDined on 8/21/2014My wife and I had been to Il Pittore about a year ago and liked it very much. When we went again on Thursday night with another couple, everything seemed to have been taken up several notches in quality.We ordered a variety of dishes and shared most of them. The flavors, the textures, the presentations were all remarkably fine. The service was friendly, casual, and unobtrusive. When the evening's one flaw was detected--my wife found her desert sorbet too icy--the waiter quickly agreed and replaced it with a perfect substitute; management was profusely apologetic and refused to charge for the replacement. The list of mostly Italian wines was imaginatively chosen and wide ranging. No finer dining experience can be found in this city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!AnniVIPDined on 8/20/2014This is my second time at Il Pittore and I didn't expect the same overall experience. But we did! Perfection!Special Features:
- ExcellentKarenrVIPDined on 8/18/2014We've been here on several occasions. The ricotta appetizer was wonderful. The sommelier was spot on with his choice based on my criteria. I had the short ribs, mostly due to the table beside us that ordered it earlier - the aroma was fabulous. The suckling pig was delicious as well. Our server was very attentive without being intrusive. We all had a wonderful meal, in a lovely place, with first rate service. Well done Il Pitore! We will return soon. Best of all, it is in our neighborhood!Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014My wife and I recently had dinner at Il Pittore. This was one of the best meals we have had in recent memory. Walking up to the restaurant I was a little apprehensive but that feeling left as soon as I entered. The second floor dinning room was open and quite nice, not sitting on top of the next table was a welcome change. The food was very good but what made the dining experience was the service. This was the best service I have received in a long time. If you go, do yourself a favor and let the manager select wines to accompany your different courses. Overall this was a great night and we will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food!ew1802Dined on 8/16/2014My husband and I enjoyed the 4-course chef menu this past weekend. Although we were unsure if we would like each course when reading the menu, we were delighted to fall in love with everything on the plate! We have been to the restaurant twice and we will continue to go back because of the outstanding food!Special Features:
- Not quite worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014First question they ask is "sparkling or still water?" I did not realize that the still water was an $8 bottle of water and not tap water. I thought that was a little sneaky. A guest should not have to ask for tap water to get free water, it should be offered. Good food but not the "best chef in the city" as the staff had claimed. Service was good and they treated us to a couple glasses of wine for waiting so long which was nice. The meal took about 2.5 hours which was a little excessive. Just a little too expensive for the small portions of food, some of which was great, and some very forgettable. Did not feel like we got $250 worth. Too many other great options in the city to recommend spending that kind of money there.Special Features:
- Fantastic!!!TyapaDined on 8/9/2014Great menu!!! All pasta dishes were out of this world! Highly recommend to all Italian food lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014wine by glass is enough for tasting 2 spoon of soup for $15.00 4 small piece of red beets and 2 small piece of golden beets for $13.00 2 inche by 1 inche gelato I think costs $6.00 Entree was good You should be fluent in Italian to understand the mnues.
- Great Budiness DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014Dinner for 6 was perfect. Diverse gourmet menu had something for every one. Expensive but reliable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the right stuff!CrustyCurmudgeonVIPDined on 8/1/2014Our son & the wife of the couple with us had career advances & there's no better place to celebrate success than Il Pittore. Work's been very busy, & once home we've been cooking or staying in our suburban neighborhood this summer. So we really needed to return to a special place. We schlepped back into town after a long Fri at work & were welcomed & rewarded from ciao to ciao! Sockeye crudo, lamb sausage, salads, pastas w/mushrooms & with peppers, amazing fish - everything done to perfection, beautifully presented & served with style by wonderful people. As always, we were guided to great wines, new to us, at fair prices. This is la dolce vita - we're grateful that Il Pittore is there & that we can enjoy it. A word to the wise: do it too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- drewDined on 8/1/2014Terrible. Food average. Overpriced. Nothing notable. Service was, although exceptional.Special Features:
- Excellent meal and service!TKAGMADined on 7/27/2014Our family of four enjoyed an outstanding meal this past weekend. Every dish was amazing , especially the pasta. The service was perfect. One of our best meals ever! We highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PRETENTIOUS & NOT WORTH IT!NYCRunnerVIPDined on 7/26/2014Nice ambiance,"robotic" servers that keep saying everything is home-made. The meal took 3 plus hours! There was 1hour & 10 minutes between courses. No apology, no nothing. The older man in the table near us fell asleep waiting for his meal. The Crudo of salmon & Pappardelle w/boar & bread basket & cheesecake were the best things. Suckling pig, short ribs, lamb chops, pork chop were uninspired, under cooked or over salted. At 3 lamb chops for $36 you could expect them to be special.The brussels sprouts which the waiter pushed hard on were hard, not good! The dark chocolate tart was barely recognizable. If good service is sloooow & robotic with average/minus food for $100 per person this is your spot. Homemade does not = good.Special Features:
- Not worth the $FoofoobunnyDined on 7/26/2014Service was amazing!!Although the food was good...it didn't leave enough of an impression with me to justify the cost.Special Features:
- Great food and excellent service!MichaelSDined on 7/25/2014Our visit to Il Pittore was outstanding. The staff that greeted us upon our arrival were pleasant and courteous. The food was simply delicious. The Gnocchi melted in my mouth and was extremely flavorful. My short rib entree was also very good. My wife thoroughly enjoyed the Striped Bass. The service was also wonderful.Special Features:
- Good food, loudlittlebigDined on 7/23/2014From our arrival to our leaving, the staff were gracious and made us feel welcome, and we rate the service as great. The food was between good and very good (some items very good, others not so), and it would have been better with much less salt in the sauces. Our main criticism with Il Pittore is the noise level. The restaurant played rock music loudly, which caused the patrons to speak louder to have a discussion. The lack of sound-absorbing surfaces in the dining room made the noise level more than acceptable for us.Special Features:
- AmazingomzngDined on 7/22/2014This place is like the spa equivalent of food. You will be taken care of here and it will feel great. Food had a slight twist and it was good.Special Features:
- MemorablePhillyPhoodieVIPDined on 7/19/2014My husband and I had our third dinner at Il Pittore. The food and service are excellent and seem to get better with each visit. We especially enjoyed the home made pasta, prepared perfectly with generous portions. Our waiter was appropriately attentive but not obtrusive. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Perfect Birthday Cebrationangelap1276Dined on 7/18/2014We had dinner to celebrate my fiancé's birthday on the recommendation of a co-worker and couldn't be more pleased. We dined in a group of 6 (all of us new to the restaurant) and there was not a single complaint from beginning to end. Our waiter was extremely knowledgable on the chef selections and made a perfect wine recommendation based on our preferences - he even went so far as to steam the label off of the bottle so we could take it with us for future purchase! Il Pettore was classy and high-end without being overwhelming or pretentious. One of the most enjoyable meals we have had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional DinnerSeriousEater63VIPDined on 7/18/2014We came for a celebratory dinner and Il Pittore did not disappoint. The food was amazing from antipasti to desserts. The service was very friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. Il Pittore is a prime example of a hidden gem and should not be missed.Special Features:
- Rittenhouse Gem for Special TimesPhillyByChoiceDined on 7/17/2014This was our third meal in the past 18 months at Il Pittore so we obviously like the food. The beet salad was perfect, the francobolli pasta delicious, the short ribs a lighter version of this menu stable. But it seems as if the prices keep climbing each time we dine at Il Pittore. This meal cost $300 for two, including an 18% tip, cocktails and a moderate bottle of wine. This seems on the high side for a meal with two antipasti, one primi and one secondi (not each but as our respective main courses), and one shared dessert. We'll likely return but only for a special occassion rather than as neighborhood regulars.Special Features:
- A pleasantly surprising experienceRichVIPDined on 7/12/2014I wasn't expecting to be as impressed as I was. From the tastefully decorated decor, to the personal, professional service to the fabulous food, the evening just kept building into a great dining experience. We were offered a "taste" of a couple wines by the glass so we could decide on one we liked. The food we couldn't finish was conveniently left downstairs at the hostess stand. Overall classy, but so comfortable.Special Features:
- Perfect for business diningErikaDined on 7/11/2014Went out with some colleagues and we all agreed that the food, service and ambiance was perfect. They brought the wines we ordered by the glass to the table for us to taste, which was a nice touch. We started with salads, king salmon crudo and kale lollipops. The plates were tiny, but perfect for everyone to have a taste. The small plate pasta dishes we ordered next were all very tasty, we could not decide which was the best. I had the suckling pig, and it was amazing with crispy skin, although could be too salty for some tastes. Snapper and veal were the other table favorites. A touch of sorbet for dessert was perfect. It felt as though we had the attention of the full staff and they answered our many questions with smiles!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- three hours later. . .PBfromSBVIPDined on 7/8/2014Everything about this restaurant is wonderful, but only go if you're willing to spend a LOT of time along with a lot of money. We waited an hour or more between courses. Our meal took three hours, and it was a Tuesday night. It was delicious, and ridiculous.Special Features:
- Great Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/2/2014This was a wonderful place to spend my birthday. Aside from the pastas bring "to die for", everyone that greeted us, whether it was at reception, wait staff, etc. Recognized my birthday and made me feel special. Service was outstanding and food very well prepared. Just wish we didn't have a large party next to us, but I did ask for a table by the window, so groups have to sit somewhere. Great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Unique Italian Adventuremc2GaltDined on 7/2/2014I thought I knew what Italian food was but I was in for a pleasant surprise. The food was quite unique from the roast pig to the broshetta with mushrooms that was exceptional. The waiter was knowledgable about the dishes to a level I have rarely seen. Although not inexpensive, I felt it was well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StewartVIPDined on 6/29/2014Fantastic – this is one of the best Italian restaurants in Philly. Each preparation was perfect. Fresh made pastas were excellent – my wife had the Swiss chard & cheese filled ravioli & I had the goat braised corzetta. The slow cooked suckling pig was incredible as was the roasted rack of rabbit. The parking arrangement with the near-by parking lot is good deal. We will be back!Special Features:
- Great menu and beautiful spotBB83Dined on 6/28/2014Our entire experience was enjoyable. The staff was very friendly and our food and drinks were perfectly detailed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best of ItalyRobbylouDined on 6/28/2014First time at Il Pittore. We loved it and will absolutely go again. Each course was well-described, beautifully presented and had a perfect combination of ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, SMALL portionsNicoleAnnVIPDined on 6/27/2014Incredible food and ambiance but the portions were EXTREMELY small. Almost ridiculous. Everything we ate was top notch- all amazing creations..but for the money, the portions should have been bigger. Unfortunate disappointment.Special Features:
- A DECENT GESTUREgotcwc83VIPDined on 6/27/2014One would think something made of wheat, egg and water would always end up flawless but not so. Such attribute is none so manifest at our last visit at Il PIttore. We tried the Tasting Menu there a year ago and gave it a second go recently. Though the second visit was not a disappointment, there were many hits or misses this time. The pasta they called tajarin consisted of very thin strands (thinner than Angel's Hair) which just did not justify its raison d'etre - why not just serve us spaghetti? There was a "postage stamp"-looking pasta which was a bit too high on the salt-meter and too low on flavor. The roasted scallop appetizer came with a pea emulsion and the two textures (the cuddly scallop and the gritty pea mixture) simply clashed.
- Tasting Menu Perfecto!ChicagoLanceVIPDined on 6/24/2014I took my mother here for a nice evening out and we decided to have the chef's tasting menu with wine pairings. While tasting menus can be a bit pricey - this one was definitely worth it. We had a sampling of the best they had to offer and the pairings were fantastic! Surprisingly both of our favorite was their asparagus soup - wow, it was so rich and creamy ... trying to replicate it for myself! The service was fantastic, attentive and we never wanting for anything. They didn't rush us through our meal at all.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceKatieDined on 6/24/2014The food was outstanding, but what I really have to rave about is the service. Three gentlemen regularly and promptly appeared at out table for any needs-- clearing plates, refilling water, resetting the places, etc. It really made it feel like a special dining experience. Kevin was our primary server, and he was very charismatic and attentive. If I could give Il Pittore 10 stars out of five for service, I would!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best italian foodKateVIPDined on 6/22/2014My son and I had dinner at Il Pittore and it was wonderful! The short ribs and beef tenderloin were melt in your mouth delicious! The pasta and desserts equally wonderful. Add in great service and you can't go wrong. Best meal all year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.