2025 Sansom St.
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ilpittore.com/
- Phone: (215) 391-4900
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Chris Painter
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Counter Seating, Wine
A word from Il Pittore
Nestled on a small side street at the edge of Rittenhouse Square, Il Pittore brings the romantic spirit of Italy to Philadelphia. Its quaint ambiance, created by rich woods, hand-painted murals and a rooftop herb garden, invokes the cozy feeling of a villa in the Italian countryside. Highly acclaimed Chef Chris Painter uses his culinary artistry to bring the fresh flavors of Italian ingredients to a truly modern menu. To accompany your meal, our sommelier will adeptly assist you with a selection from our 200 bottle Italian wine list. On the first floor, a dining counter for 12 and a communal table for 8 bring people together in a vibrant social setting to share a glass of wine and a bowl of pasta. The main dining room on the second floor provides guests with a more traditional a la carte dining experience. A large bay window, skylight, communal table and comfortable banquette seating set the mood for a memorable meal. We look forward to your visit. Ciao and grazie!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Il Pittore - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Il Pittore reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (156)special occasion (136)notable wine list (111)romantic (103)neighborhood gem (72)hot spot (28)good for groups (26)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (3)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Wonderful dining experience.SatnitedinerVIPDined on 11/22/2014Can't say enough good things about this restaurant. Service was exceptional. Food fantastic. Nothing else to say. Definitely one of the best restaurants in Phila.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phily GemGsnowVIPDined on 11/21/2014if you are traveling to Philadelphia on business or pleasure, you will love taking a business associate, client, or your significant other to this great restaurant. The dishes are all very good and some are great. I have eaten at Il Pittore on 6 occasions and walk away every time very satisfied. From the homemade breadsticks and breads, to the Primi, Secondi, to your main dish you will not be dissapointed. The wine selection is great and Frank (Sommelier) will be very friendly and helpful. The staff is very professional, well informed and very polite. I can't wait for my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth every penny; you get what you pay for!DIneoutoftenVIPDined on 11/19/2014While many patrons might consider the menu pricey, the experience, the service and the food are worth every penny! The food is always delicious and beautifully plated; the service kind, efficient and friendly; the sommelier and wine list stellar! It has become one of our most favorite and special places to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything but the duckFetchMeDined on 11/16/2014ll Pittore continues to be one of our favorite restaurants. The service is excellent and knowledgable. The food is of a very high quality and the servers are patient and helpful. A recent visit found us with the usual superb food with the exception of one duck breast entree ( a dish we are quite familiar with) that was chewy and of very poor quality. It was an unusual experience for an exceptional restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You get what you pay for!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Great service...great food...great spirits. You are just going to pay for it...you get what you pay for. Dont hold back...you only live once...take someone special here and you won't regret it.Special Features:
- JVEZD8VIPDined on 11/15/2014The food here is wonderful, I just wish it weren't so expensive so that I'd feel that I could go more often. The pastas are a highlight, but portions are modest if you're going to have that as your entree. Wines by the glass ranged in the $13-16 range. Service is friendly and attentive. The tab adds up quickly, but you will have an excellent meal that is definitely worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CopiouseatsVIPDined on 11/14/2014There were 4 of us and the food was excellent. The secondi pasta dishes were excellent, and for the entrees 3 of us had the halibut, excellent, and one had the red snapper, also excellent. The bread is terrific, which is important to us, and the wine pricey, but very good. We had white and red. Service is impeccable, and very attentive. Will come back again for special occasions, as I said, it is on the expensive side, my husband told me not to as when I asked him how much the dinner was! If you are looking for something special with excellent food and wine and service, this is the place for you. Our friends loved it too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gooooodsjnyhnDined on 11/14/2014They didnt forget about the special birthday request! The waiter was impressive, food was great (little on the saltier side).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow servicevickiVIPDined on 11/13/2014Although the food was good, service is slow. Sat down at our table at 7, we received our entrees at 9:15.Special Features:
- Terrific food and serviceEsmeraldaVIPDined on 11/13/2014This was our first time at this restaurant. It was a wonderful surprise. The food was carefully prepared, delicious and unusual. The service could not have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional ServiceMissyVIPDined on 11/10/2014The staff knew we were running close on time to make it to ourplay. They made sure that we enjoyed a lovely meal, not feel rushed and were able to get out with just enough time. I don't think I have ever been so pampered by a weight staff. Kudos to every member of that staff!Special Features:
- Fantastic Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014Wow! What an amazing meal! From the beet salad to the rabbit manicotti to the braised boar shoulder, the intense flavors won me over. Each dish had so much complexity. You could really tell how much effort the chef put into his food. The sommelier was completely knowledgeable and accommodating. The chocolate mousse for dessert was exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat customer gives reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014This is the 5th time over the last two years we have dined here. Always had a great meal with very attentive and helpful wait staff. My wife and I rate this as one of best center city restaurants. Their menu changes often which keeps us coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice!PhoodieDined on 11/6/2014Pricey but great options. The pasta dishes were the best/tastiest choices. I had the bass which was fine. My boyfriend had the rabbit which was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Restaurant in the CitysechsgangVIPDined on 11/6/2014Il Pittore continues to be one of the best restaurants in the city with every visit. The menu changes often and with every change comes a new amazing culinary experience. The flavors even the most simple dish's have are always surprising and the pastas are literally some of the best I've ever had. The entree/secondi's are all absolutely fantastic as well and always prove to be amazing and filling. As far as dessert, one never needs to speak more than "an order of bambaloni please" to get one of the best desserts in the city. Keep up the good work.Special Features:
- A Good MealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/6/2014Il Pittore was very good. The service was very attentive, although the waiter did consistently try to up-sell drinks, sides and desserts. The food was good, but a little expensive for the portion size. We would definitely recommend this restaurant for a special occasion.Special Features:
- What a find!JojoVIPDined on 11/5/2014Amazing from beginning to end. A must go to when you are in Philly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PureFoodieDined on 11/5/2014The food was very good, and well presented. The lamb sausage was quite good, and the fusilli w/blue crab was a good combination of flavors. Definitely a keeper for future dining options in Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have been here many times...NYCPHLVIPDined on 11/2/2014..will return many times more. Thank you for making the wonderful food (with vegetarian options) even better with the exceptional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & serviceeburgerDined on 11/2/2014Service was great, food was great, and for foodies, real white truffles! They have a fantastic selection of Amaro selection. The manager, Michael was extremely knowledgeable and helpful with the selection of a flight of Amaro, including some of his personal favorites. Went with my wife for a quiet weekend away - this was a great anchor meal to a fantastic weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Quintissential Neighborhood GemDonLVIPDined on 10/31/2014Uniformly creative and excellent dishes....professional, attentive service...and no doubt the most knowledgable and charming Sommelier in town (Francis ) make il Pittore a consistently unique dining experience.....!Special Features:
- hhwdsfarnsworthVIPDined on 10/31/2014We had a very good meal. Everthing was delicious - appetizers, pasta and mains. The staff was warm, attentive and well informed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!LanaVIPDined on 10/29/2014I didn't realize when making the reservation that this is a high-end establishment. The food was amazing! Everything was made from scratch and really unique. It's not the most affordable meal, but it's well worth the investment and absolutely perfect for a special event or date night. Definitely try the lamb ravioli and the trout (who knew trout could be so good?).Special Features:
- Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/28/2014I dinned with three of my business associates at Il Pittore. We had an excellent meal. It is clear why this place is one of Philly's top spots. The food was great, the service was great. If you entertain for business as I do, aren't you tired of the same ubiquitous steak house? Try Il Pittore and give your clients and different dining experience. Ask for Kevin, he'll take good care of you!Special Features:
- BoomerDined on 10/25/2014I went to dinner here to celebrate my special birthday with my famly. The service and food were outstanding. We also ordered several bottles of wines which were just incredible. They have a very extensive wine list. We had the Braised octopus and raw scallops for appetizers. The pastas and duck were amazing as our Primo choices. For our main entrees, we had the veal shoulder, lamb chops and the Suckling pig which were amazing as well. Everyone made me feel so special and it made my birthday quite memorable. Thank you to the entire staff and even the chef. I was able to meet him for a few minutes before we left which really topped off our wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Lovely, RomanticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014I loved the ambiance, the food was delicious, and the service was great. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Love this placeThomVIPDined on 10/24/2014We have never been disappointed with the food or service. Kevin the waiter is great, and Michael the manager is on top of things (and knows his wines!). We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- WonderfulWhynotDined on 10/19/2014Delicious food, great beverage menu, excellent service. What more do you need?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentDrMarkDined on 10/19/2014Great service. The tasting menu was generous and delicious-too much food so don't eat the bread (which is made there-bread sticks with fennel, etc and is delicious). Small cozy atmosphere-nice but not elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceJoanVIPDined on 10/19/2014Il Pittore was a most wonderful experience. My husband and I had dinner there very late one Sunday afternoon. I never had better service. They attended to every detail, filling our glasses, asking if everything was okay, clearing our table and giving us clean silverware for each course. They were not intrusive and were very friendly without being annoying. The cauliflower soup was delicious. We had suckling pig that melted in your mouth. Lobster tortellini and pansotti with sage brown butter was incredible. The sorbet and gelato trio for dessert was a fine ending. This restaurant is the whole experience of dining out.Special Features:
- Wonderful!MB17Dined on 10/17/2014Great for a special occasion. Good food. Impeccable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!OTpatronVIPDined on 10/17/2014Our party of 4 had a most pleasant experience at Il Pittore on a very busy Friday night. The food was exceptional as was the service from 2 personable and professional waiters. I hope I need to travel to Philadelphia soon so I can visit this restaurant again! ....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mealLLurieVIPDined on 10/17/2014Lovely entree's and wine list. Service was good but server constantly upselling which tarnished the experience a bit.Special Features:
- Amazing food & even better serviceFoodieinPhillyVIPDined on 10/13/2014The service was among the best in the city--manager, waiters, bus boys, etc were all so attentive and made the experience among the best in Philly in a long time. The food was also delicious--every course was out of this world. Would definitely recommend (although afraid to because we want to make sure we are able to get reservations in the future easily!)Special Features:
- ConsigliabileIncontestabileDined on 10/9/2014Exceptional food and service. Where else in town can you get vino bianco di Locorotondo? Gorgeous maitresses d'. Expensive. Waiter warns that portions for primi (pasta dishes) are small with lame excuse that such are characteristic of northern Italian cuisine. Nobody speaks Italian. Barman never heard of Punt e Mes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quality food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/9/2014very satisfied with both food and service. as a new yorker, i was pleasantly suprised to experience such a great meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/6/2014the food was very creative and extremely good. The pork was the best I have had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date Spot for FoodiesKmil321VIPDined on 10/4/2014Every course was well portioned and well prepared. Service beyond exceeded expectations. It was a nice romantic, quiet spot for our anniversary. The ambiance is classy and refined, but rustic with a beautiful sky light roof. Can't wait to go back, everything was perfect!Special Features:
- Another solid meal at Il PittoreJerry67VIPDined on 10/1/2014Very wam reception at the door, which is always nice to see and amazingly not the norm in the industry. The wait staff is friendly while still being professional and they are wonderfully knowledgeable about the food on the menu. The food is consistently very good to great. Of note, you will not find fresher pasta any where else. A carefully curated 'by the glass' wine list allows for good pairings whatever you choose to eat. Ambiance is really nice -- white table cloths but in a more relaxed environs. Thankfully, it is not super noisy here either. My second visit, and both were excellent. I am a fan.Special Features:
- FantasticPixieDined on 9/28/2014Had dinner here on 9/29 for the first time, have to tell you everything was wonderful, their signature roasted pig was to die for, my sister-in-law had one of the specials which was the Duck and it was unbelieveable!l Arugula Salad was great and big enough to share. Warm breads, extensive wine menu. Dessert was shared and that was the orange cheesecake that was incredible, a little small but well worth it when you are full from everything else. Service was impecable. Would recommend this to anyone which I have done already.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.