2025 Sansom St.
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ilpittore.com/
- Phone: 2153914900
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Chris Painter
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Counter Seating, Wine
A word from Il Pittore
Nestled on a small side street at the edge of Rittenhouse Square, Il Pittore brings the romantic spirit of Italy to Philadelphia. Its quaint ambiance, created by rich woods, hand-painted murals and a rooftop herb garden, invokes the cozy feeling of a villa in the Italian countryside. Highly acclaimed Chef Chris Painter uses his culinary artistry to bring the fresh flavors of Italian ingredients to a truly modern menu. To accompany your meal, our sommelier will adeptly assist you with a selection from our 200 bottle Italian wine list. On the first floor, a dining counter for 12 and a communal table for 8 bring people together in a vibrant social setting to share a glass of wine and a bowl of pasta. The main dining room on the second floor provides guests with a more traditional a la carte dining experience. A large bay window, skylight, communal table and comfortable banquette seating set the mood for a memorable meal. We look forward to your visit. Ciao and grazie!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Il Pittore - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Il Pittore reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (137)special occasion (116)notable wine list (96)romantic (86)neighborhood gem (61)good for groups (28)hot spot (23)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (4)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- WonderfulWhynotDined on 10/19/2014Delicious food, great beverage menu, excellent service. What more do you need?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentDrMarkDined on 10/19/2014Great service. The tasting menu was generous and delicious-too much food so don't eat the bread (which is made there-bread sticks with fennel, etc and is delicious). Small cozy atmosphere-nice but not elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceJoanVIPDined on 10/19/2014Il Pittore was a most wonderful experience. My husband and I had dinner there very late one Sunday afternoon. I never had better service. They attended to every detail, filling our glasses, asking if everything was okay, clearing our table and giving us clean silverware for each course. They were not intrusive and were very friendly without being annoying. The cauliflower soup was delicious. We had suckling pig that melted in your mouth. Lobster tortellini and pansotti with sage brown butter was incredible. The sorbet and gelato trio for dessert was a fine ending. This restaurant is the whole experience of dining out.Special Features:
- Wonderful!MB17Dined on 10/17/2014Great for a special occasion. Good food. Impeccable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!OTpatronVIPDined on 10/17/2014Our party of 4 had a most pleasant experience at Il Pittore on a very busy Friday night. The food was exceptional as was the service from 2 personable and professional waiters. I hope I need to travel to Philadelphia soon so I can visit this restaurant again! ....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mealLLurieVIPDined on 10/17/2014Lovely entree's and wine list. Service was good but server constantly upselling which tarnished the experience a bit.Special Features:
- Amazing food & even better serviceFoodieinPhillyVIPDined on 10/13/2014The service was among the best in the city--manager, waiters, bus boys, etc were all so attentive and made the experience among the best in Philly in a long time. The food was also delicious--every course was out of this world. Would definitely recommend (although afraid to because we want to make sure we are able to get reservations in the future easily!)Special Features:
- ConsigliabileIncontestabileDined on 10/9/2014Exceptional food and service. Where else in town can you get vino bianco di Locorotondo? Gorgeous maitresses d'. Expensive. Waiter warns that portions for primi (pasta dishes) are small with lame excuse that such are characteristic of northern Italian cuisine. Nobody speaks Italian. Barman never heard of Punt e Mes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quality food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/9/2014very satisfied with both food and service. as a new yorker, i was pleasantly suprised to experience such a great meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/6/2014the food was very creative and extremely good. The pork was the best I have had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date Spot for FoodiesKmil321VIPDined on 10/4/2014Every course was well portioned and well prepared. Service beyond exceeded expectations. It was a nice romantic, quiet spot for our anniversary. The ambiance is classy and refined, but rustic with a beautiful sky light roof. Can't wait to go back, everything was perfect!Special Features:
- Another solid meal at Il PittoreJerry67VIPDined on 10/1/2014Very wam reception at the door, which is always nice to see and amazingly not the norm in the industry. The wait staff is friendly while still being professional and they are wonderfully knowledgeable about the food on the menu. The food is consistently very good to great. Of note, you will not find fresher pasta any where else. A carefully curated 'by the glass' wine list allows for good pairings whatever you choose to eat. Ambiance is really nice -- white table cloths but in a more relaxed environs. Thankfully, it is not super noisy here either. My second visit, and both were excellent. I am a fan.Special Features:
- FantasticPixieDined on 9/28/2014Had dinner here on 9/29 for the first time, have to tell you everything was wonderful, their signature roasted pig was to die for, my sister-in-law had one of the specials which was the Duck and it was unbelieveable!l Arugula Salad was great and big enough to share. Warm breads, extensive wine menu. Dessert was shared and that was the orange cheesecake that was incredible, a little small but well worth it when you are full from everything else. Service was impecable. Would recommend this to anyone which I have done already.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okay.Taster1984Dined on 9/26/2014Dinner was really just okay, but the service was pitiful. The bartender was rude and the hostess was dressed for a night out in the club, and by that I mean as she walked us up to our table on the second floor her skin tight skirt road up showing her butt. Really unappetizing and uncomfortable for my husband who was directly behind her, not mention a mood killer since we were out celebrating our annivery. Matt out main server was great and helpful but food was just okay for the price.Special Features:
- It took ages to get our foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/23/2014We arrived at 8pm on a Tuesday night, party of 3. We made a quick order: an appetizer salad and salumi to share and 3 main courses. We we didn't get our main courses until 9:30pm. We waited and waited and waited. The waiter apologized a few times and brought some prosciutto to keep us going, but there is no excuse for taking 1 hour to cook a dish on a quiet Tuesday evening.
- ExquisiteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014Wasn't sure what to expect. When we arrived there wasn't much happening downstairs, but were greeted with a pleasant smiling hostess and staff. We went upstairs and were seated right away. I had called ahead to let them know it was my daughters birthday and the staff surprisingly greeted her with a Happy Birthday!! We tried several dishes & every course was delicious! Red & Golden Beets, Pumpkin soup, Ravioli, Braised Short Ribs and Gelato & Sorbet to end the meal. The service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly amazinganon073621Dined on 9/21/2014Absolutely delicious. I think this was actually the best meal I've ever had. I went with one other person and we had pumpkin soup with hazelnut bread, some sort of sausage and lentil appetizer, suckling pig ravioli, the Corzetti (pasta coins, braised goat, mint, and chili oil), and the Roasted Rack of Rabbit, along with two cocktails. The meal was a little pricey ($130+tip for two people, but given everything we got that doesn't seem so bad), but that's literally my only negative. Every single aspect of the meal was superlative. Every dish we had was so different, but all equally amazing. Wow. The person I was with said it was better than Vetri, where he'd been a couple weeks prior. Amazing, amazing meal. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- SAT. NITE LAST MINUTEReredishDined on 9/20/2014WE WERE LUCKY TO GET A RESERVATION ON SAT. NIGHT AT 9PM LAST MINUTE. I HAD THE COIN PASTA WHICH WAS PERFECTLY AL DENTE, THE WAY I LIKE IT, AND HAD JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF SAUCE. ALSO HAD MY FAVORITE, THE BEEF SHORTRIB, WHICH NEVER DISAPPOINTS. MELTS IN YOUR MOUTH! A MUST TRY.Special Features:
- A fantastic Anniversary mealAmyODined on 9/19/2014Il Pittore is a beautiful little Italian restaurant. Everything from the staff to the decorations to the menu design helped to enhance our dining experience. The food itself was absolutely delicious & we tried everything! They have a very comprehensive wine list, though very expensive bottles in general. My husband and I had a fantastic meal from bread to dessert and everything in between.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small very small portionsFoodie54VIPDined on 9/16/2014I had dinner at this intimate restaurant with my son we were impressed by the professionalism of the wait staff My only critique is the price point of the entrees and really tiny portions! I would love to go back they need to revisit the size Of the portions very pricey!!Special Features:
- Amazing food and serviceFoodgloriousfoodDined on 9/13/2014One of the best evenings ever - food is amazing and all very fresh. Service is perfect. Wine list and stewards are incredible.Special Features:
- One of the BestSandyDVIPDined on 9/12/2014It was our third time there and we are never disappointed. Their specials, homemade pasta, great list of wines keeps this restaurant at the top of our list and we have hit a lot of the city notable places. The service is first rate. When we are asked where to get great Italian food in the city, this is our first response and out first choice.Special Features:
- Nice food, great serviceMeMeDined on 9/12/2014Had brussel sprouts side as appetizer and suckling pig main; ricotta cheesecake for desert. All excellent! Service was attentive and helpful from start to finish. Only complaint is over-priced and under-poured wine. $14 a glass, for what had to be less than 4 oz... comes out to over $110/bottle for some nice but not extraordinary wine. that's ridiculousSpecial Features:
- Delicious Italian!foodsnobVIPDined on 9/11/2014Stunning meal - our first one in Philadelphia for a quick 3 day weekend trip. Small bar downstairs, where we had a great bartender who recommended lovely drinks to start. Moved to a table upstairs, right at our reservation time. Ambiance is great - it's small and quaint. We started with a cheese board and the bread basket. Could have stopped there! Everything was great. There was one salad at the table, but it was enough for four of us to taste / enjoy. The pastas were hard to choose from, but all were delicious. And a small enough portion that having a main course didn't seem ridiculous. The suckling pig was probably the highlight of the meal. Delicious! Would recommend to others visiting Philly!Special Features:
- Food was good, service very slowRed74VIPDined on 9/10/2014When I go to a fine dining restaurant, I do not expect a fast food experience. I enjoy dining and having food served within a reasonable time frame. The food at Il Pittore is very good, but not exceptional. The service may have been the slowest I have ever experienced. We did not receive our second or main course until well after an hour from when the order was placed. Il Pittore is not shy about their wine prices and do have a nice selection but servings of wine are quite a bit smaller that at most fine dining restaurants I have visited. There a many wonderful restaurants in Philly, I would not bother going back to this one.Special Features:
- Almost PerfectCWrightVIPDined on 9/8/2014The service was exceptional. The wine list is a bit unapproachable, there are reasonably priced Barolo's and Brunello's not all of them have to be over $130. We should have done the tasting menu, as the consistency would have been better. Our first two courses were great, baked ricotta should really be shared by at least two as it is far to large for one. The pasta dishes were cooked perfect, there could have been more lobster in the lobster tortellini. The entrees were however disappointed, the chef seemed to run out of steam. Both the rabbit and the pork belly were dry. Not sure how you make pork belly dry, but it was. The flavors were good, but overcooked meat trumps flavor every time. Despite that we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent enough but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/7/2014Pleasant space, white tablecloths, good stemware and decent food but tries too hard to be upscale; for instance the cheapest options include a $60 bottle of ok wine accompanied by a very nice sommelier (the beer selection is fairly priced but that would not be fair to the food). The food itself is enjoyable enough but finer touches were missing, the 'roasted' in the otherwise excellent tomato soup was undetectable as was the 'brown' in the butter sauce for the fish which probably would have benefited from not being served in a pile. I'm not in favor of large portions, particularly if I can get quality instead, but these seemed particularly stingy for the price. Unfortunately, there are many better value/quality options in town.
- OutstandingsatchDined on 9/6/2014A wonderful restaurant with impeccable food and an attentive and gracious staff. A Philadelphia gem.Special Features:
- FantasticJDK2014Dined on 9/6/2014Wasn't sure what to expect but man did Chef Painter and staff pay it off. From the hospitality to Frank's favorite Super Tuscan and of course the fabulous meal, I haven't had an overall dinner experience like that in a long time. I wish I could be more specific on each dish but there wasn't one thing we tried all night that we didn't thoroughly enjoy. Fantastic!Special Features:
- Primo Italian.iflyarmyDined on 9/5/2014Great food and fantastic service. The wine list is incredible but comes with a price. A meal to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding serviceMauriceDined on 9/5/2014The pasta dishes were excellent as well as the rest of the menu. We were a party of six and most of us had two courses although we were pushed to have three. My husband had the pasta with swordfish and it was delicious. Service was impeccable. It's a all hands on deck attitude. Waiter was quite knowledgeable about all aspects of the menu although pushed for the higher priced wines and when my husband chose the lower priced wines the waiter suggested getting double. Not wise when you have to drive home. The finish was dessert, I had small chocolate filled with a warm hazelnut creme with a vanilla cream dip. It was wonderful. My friend had the chocolate tart which was a little bland but refreshing. Very professional & cordial staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/4/2014We are a tough crowd but we had a wonderful experience from the moment we walked in to when we left the restaurant. The management and our server were all very knowledgable, polite, and attentive to our needs without being disruptive to the meal. The food was outstanding. Two of my family members are vegetarians and they had plenty of options to choose from. We tried four different pastas plus multiple appetizers, sides, and entrees and we loved everything. The specials of the evening were well prepared and very flavorful. All of the pastas were al dente and true Italian in flavor. The only criticism we had is that the food was too rich--it could have done with a bit less butter.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and serviceNYCPHLVIPDined on 9/4/2014Nice open space. A great place for a special occasion although we tend to go on regular nights as well. :) Vegetarian selection is limited but well prepared.Special Features:
- Must go placeluv2eatVIPDined on 9/4/2014I've eaten here numerous times. The food and the service is consistently excellent. This is probably my favorite Italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful surprisegmanDined on 8/31/2014Matthew waited on us he was an excellent guide for the evenings tour of Italy. Everything we ate was excellent and timed perfectly. We never waited to long for the next course. The duck and lamb were both the highlight of the night, dessert was very well done and really completed our meal. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good foodLeCoupeDined on 8/31/2014Excellent food, very knowledgeable waitstaff, bar tender was great. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great italian food; formal settingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/31/2014The food and service were impeccable. Delicious Italian food plated in a classically trained way. Menu is very large and there were a lot of specials so hard to decide! Also thoroughly enjoyed the wine list. Will not be my "go to" in center city based on ambiance alone - very formal and would prefer amazing food and service in a more laid back setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableeatingfromnytocaDined on 8/30/2014Must try the pastas--the restaurants forte. The suckling pig was also very good. The beef short rib was only average but besides this particular dish, everything was absolutely delicious. The staff were also extremely knowledgeable and accommodated my daughters food allergies. Our server was very careful in going over the ingredients and was genuinely concerned about getting good food to the table for her. The service gave this restaurant an extra star. Bravo to the servers and even the hostess who was also very gracious.Special Features:
- I want to go again!DCKD14Dined on 8/30/2014We celebrated our anniversary here and had a fantastic experience. Everything from the water to the wine to everything we ordered to eat was nothing short of incredible. The staff was extremely professional. We had Larry and Michael as our services and they were personal, fun and they helped to make our dining experience really enjoyable. The wine list is extensive and the server who helped us make our choice picked a wine that was exactly what we described that we wanted. I would definitely recommend this for an awesome all around dining experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful Evening!kwyrofskyVIPDined on 8/27/2014I had been to Il Pittore once before with my husband and knew it would be a good choice for dinner with my parents and son. Six of us went Wednesday evening and all agreed the food and service were spectacular. Our waiter (I think his name was Matthew) was outstanding. Attentive, knowledgeable, without being pretentious. His suggestion were excellent, and he was pleasant with a good sense of humor. The food as well as the varied choices pleased even the foodies amount us. In addition, when we quickly needed to exit to see a show - we were assisted promptly. One final note, the noise volume is excellent here. It is lively, but all 6 of us could hear each other easily. A nice change from many popular restaurants. THANK YOU!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.