1505 East Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27514Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sienahotel.com/IlPalio.aspx
- Phone: (919) 918-2545
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 6:30am - 10:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Brunch Sunday: 11:30 - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Friday & Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Teddy Diggs
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Private dining and meeting sapce available from 2 - 200. Please contact the Catering & Sales team at 919.929.4000 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entertainment: Live music Friday & Saturday Nights 6:30pm - 9:30pm
- Special Events: Private dining available to up to 100 guests. Please contact the Catering & Sales team at 919.929.4000 or via email: email@example.com
A word from Il Palio
Il Palio is a farm-to-fork restaurant dedicated to providing tantilizing dishes using only the freshest ingredients. Know for its Italian influence, Il Palio takes pride in creating tastes from the old country while offering new, interesting flavors. With over 400 wines to choose from, there is a perfect compliment to any meal. Il Palio has consistently been awarded the prestigious AAA Four Diamond Award and is acclaimed by Condé Nast.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Il Palio - Best Restaurants in Chapel Hill ›
Il Palio reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (27)fit for foodies (26)romantic (24)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (6)good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (5)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- EricCVIPDined on 11/22/2014Very surprised at what a good hotel resurant, we really enjoyed it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il Palio at the Siena hotelzcakesDined on 11/21/2014Il Palio is a great choice for Italian dining slightly off the beaten track in Chapel Hill. It is located in the upscale Siena hotel. There is a great wine list, featuring Italian and domestic wines, as well as a knowledgeable sommelier to help with your choice. Price points for wine are extremely varied, so there will be something for all budgets. The chef's homemade rosemary bread is terrific; you might have to stop yourself from eating too much. The soup and salad choices are somewhat limited but the offerings are imaginative and of high quality. We sampled the chestnut soup and the spinach beet salad, both of which were quite good. There are a variety of pastas from which to choose and the venue offers these in both small and large plates; great for sampling. The signature dish in my opinion is the Beef Florentine which is served for the table. We found a great strategy was to order two small pasta dishes to share and then also share the beef dish amongst three people. Two things should be noted; the chef's use of high quality olive oil is quite liberal; we found it in every dish as well as sprinkled over the beef. Also, the meals at Il Palio are not for those who are counting calories. The dessert selection was reasonable; we shared the lemon bomboloni, small sugar donuts served with a lemon cream and it was plenty to share for 3 people. With conservative ordering and a moderate wine choice, plan on about $80 per personSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary in italyBdayVIPDined on 11/8/2014We stayed at the hotel for anniversary weekend & decided to eat at the hotel restaurant. The service was outstanding. Food was good, but don't expect large portions for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014We really enjoyed the food. The lemon dessert was amazing, and the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- All-around great!link50VIPDined on 10/31/2014This is our favorite special occasion place in Chapel Hill, even with all the great restaurants in town. Wonderful wines, food, service! A lovely evening.Special Features:
- retirementDined on 10/21/2014Excellent experience! I love the service and food. It was perfect for the occasion. I would recommend it to everybody.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il Palio Chapel HillLovetoeatDined on 10/20/2014Il Palio is a lovely choice for a special occasion romantic dinner. The food is authentic Italian and reminds us of very nice dinners in Italy. Service is impeccable and food quality is outstanding. Everything is fresh with olive oils, etc from Italy and of the highest quality. The wines feature top quality Italian wines. This is our go to spot in the area for special occasions. We have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Great Expectations DashedJHG8VIPDined on 10/19/2014Reviews gave it high marks. Unfortunately, salt was the predominant seasoning on our bread, salads and my monk-fish piccatta. Fish is a delicate food that doesn't require any seasoning, yet this was drowned in salt, lemon, capers and oil. Didn't finish it and told the kitchen why. My wife's specialty pasta was quite good. Service was charming. Very costly. May try in a year, if they change the chef.
- Wonderful!WonderWomanDined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed three meals at Il Palio during our recent stay at The Siena. First, was a lovely lunch for 11 people for our daughter's birthday. Everything was delicious and the service was wonderful - they graciously made accommodations for anything we requested. We also enjoyed a late night room service dinner and an outstanding breakfast the next morning. The staff was very welcoming. We'll definitely visit again!Special Features:
- Still lovely and special..ZaketteDined on 10/2/2014A perfect place for great food and communication where one can hear the conversation.Special Features:
- Worth a splurgelynfordDined on 9/26/2014It's not cheap, but boy, is it worth it. The food is the best you'll find this side of Italy. Amazing. The service perfect. Just go there. You'll love it.Special Features:
- OutstandingHchoirDined on 9/26/2014Great from start to finish. The menu is not long and appears to change quite frequently, but there was more than ample variety and everything was first rate. There is a team approach to service and it was well-coordinated. Although the wine list is not extensive it is well-chosen, and I especially appreciated the availability of some higher-end wines by the glass. The atmosphere was very pleasant and there is outdoor dining available. If you are in the Durham/Chapel hill area and looking for a fine Italian meal this is definitely a place to check out.Special Features:
- BravoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014This is a wonderful restaurant with authentic Italian food, a step or two up from the usual trattoria style Italian place one finds in the US.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Amazing food, great atmosphere and very attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/6/2014We have dined at Il Palio perhaps a half dozen times now. The service staff here always performs at a high level. They consistently (1) anticipate needs, (2) adjust their service pattern to diner needs/desires, and (3) make diners feel perfectly comfortable during the entire meal. This level and reliability of service makes dining at Il Palio a real pleasure, especially since the food also delivers on taste and presentation.Special Features:
- Excellent ItalianSpydurmDined on 9/6/2014The service: We asked for and received a quiet table away from traffic. We were greeted with wishes related to the occasion noted in the reservation and the service remained exceptional throughout our evening. The food: The sopressata appetizer was great. My braised see scallops with local shrooms entree was an incredible taste combination that just made me crave the next bite. My wife's beef entree was also delicious. The Bombolino dessert, freshly fried lightly sugared doughnut-hole like pastries - served with a lemon-curd whipped cream, were a wonderful conclusion to the meal. The wine list is notable for the quality of the offerings and the sommelier was attentive and helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceDrmom63Dined on 9/5/2014I really wanted to like this restaurant. The setting was lovely. The food was ok, but not great. My mussels were good, but their take on Eggplant Parmesan was unbreaded and essentially mush. My son liked the Pasta Nero with shrimp, but my husband thought the lasagna was nothing special. Wine was marked up considerably. Hardly a bottle less than $70. All in all, I found it disappointing. With so many wonderful restaurants in Chapel Hill, I doubt I will go back again.Special Features:
- Great for date nightTHMD27516Dined on 8/30/2014Excellent wine list with impeccable service and atmosphere. Great for a dinner out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseAstuteObserverVIPDined on 8/27/2014Is what we had at lunch two days ago. Truly Italian inspired good. Well served in a a pleasant environment. Can't comment on other restaurants in this area but if seeking good Italian food I would not hesitate choosing Il Palio.Special Features:
- Outstanding RestaurantGCfoodluvrDined on 8/23/2014The food and service at Il Palio never disappoint, both are outstanding. We dine at the restaurant each time we visit our son at college and the area (4-5 times a year), we would be there more often but live in NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TuckDined on 8/20/2014We went there for our wedding anniversary. Everything was splendid, as it has always been.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/17/2014Delicious food and excellant service! Will return!
- Inventive Italian Dishesdmlehman6VIPDined on 8/16/2014This was my 2nd trip to Il Palio - this time on purpose. The first instance we wandered in by chance as we were staying at the hotel. This time round, to celebrate my birthday on a return trip. Foccacia made onsite, steeped in olive oil - great start! Linguine with clams - small portion, just right on the pasta. 4 clams - maybe a little stingy. Sauce fantastic. Others ate lasagna and enjoyed it. The bombolone dessert doughnuts are the best. There are more menu choices than some reviewers here have suggested. Starters, pastas, mains. It's a bit on the pricey side, but thoroughly enjoyable and they have wonderful service. Recommend and will return.Special Features:
- Romantic packageSteak2dieforDined on 8/9/2014Just recently stayed at the hotel and the restaurant was part of the romantic package, don't usually have high hopes for hotel restaurants, but the food was awesome..great Italian..good service and great wine.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014Our meal was superb. The service outstanding and a quite atmosphere to allow conversation. I had veal and pork meatballs with a pomodoro sauce and I am still thinking about them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 573 reviews are from the Il Palio reviews archive.
- Excellent Service, ambience, foodpgallVIPDined on 7/26/2014We celebrated our anniversary at Il Palio - it was a quiet night in the restaurant and we enjoyed lingering over our meal. We enjoyed the prosciutto with melon appetizer, and two pasta dishes. Bombolini dessert with lemon curd was wonderful. Wine by the quartino is the best deal. Prices were within line for the excellent service except the overpriced bottle of sparkling water. All in all, a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- VickieDined on 7/18/2014After the reviews we read on Trip Advisor, we were very disappointed by the food. That being said, the service was extraordinary, and the restaurant itself was lovely.Special Features:
- Disappointing DinnerFoodieDined on 7/5/2014My wife and I had dinner at Il Palio on Saturday, July 5th. There were two other tables (other than ours) with seated dinner patrons. You could hear a pin drop! The menu was bleak, with only 4 entrees. My wife ordered a sea bass fillet, which was dry and tasteless, and appeared to be more of a snapper than sea bass. I ordered a lobster pasta, which contained lots of pasta and very little lobster pieces. The salad and dessert were excellent, the entrees not so much. Service was very good. Very disappointed to see this once-heralded restaurant slip like this.
- New Chef Hits His Stride at PalioJMLinPNSVIPDined on 6/30/2014Wow! We loved it. We ate in the bar the first night and had room service the others. The food was uniformly wonderful...I love the kale caesar , and the pastas were perfect al dente and sauced to perfection. If you order the whole fish or the roast baby chicken, ask them to bone the fish and disjoint the chicken...it'll be a lot easier to eat, and they will do that...arranging everything beautifully on a new plate. Chris at the bar is loads of fun and picks good wines when asked for his opinion. We're definitely happy with the experience and will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 6/21/2014The menu is limited but that is because it changes frequently and every dish is presented like an artwork and the tast is amazing! There was a piano player that played ambient music live! The decorations are good but boring/plain compared to overseas. The waiter was extremely knowledgeable and very good at anticipating needs.Special Features:
- Great Father's Day BrunchRebkop21Dined on 6/13/2014We had awesome service & wonderful food! They offer brunch every Sunday. We definitely will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but limited lunch optionsSunnyDined on 5/22/2014This is a beautiful restaurant with excellent service. The lunch menu, however, is limited. There is a need for more small items which are not so pricey. Many people in our culture do not wish a big meal at the noon hour. I would suggest a variety of salads, with and without seafood or chicken, a choice of two to three seasonal soups, and a variety of sandwiches or light items. Our group of five women all chose the same item from the menu, simply because it was one of the lighter, less expensive options.Special Features:
- DisappointedJessieDined on 5/11/2014Noticeable decline in both food quality and atmosphere since our last visit. The place was half-empty yet we were shown to a table that was clearly brought in from the patio. The food was okay, but nothing special. Really not what we were expecting after making a reservation months in advance for Mother's Day weekend. The only bright spot was the attentive service.
- Wonderful Mothers Day BrunchbirdieDined on 5/11/2014We had a delicious three course prix fixe brunch at It Palio. The food was wonderful and the service couldn't have been better. Mothers Day weekend in Chapel Hill is always challenging for both diners and restaurants because it is graduation weekend for both UNC and Duke. Il Palio handled it perfectly. You wouldn't have even known that it was a busier than usual weekend. What a treat for mothers and grads!Special Features:
- Chapel Hill gem at the Siena Hotel.WineB4DineDined on 5/10/2014Had dinner celebrating son's graduation. Very relaxed atmosphere--did not feel rushed. Sommelier on site made excellent sparkling wine suggestions. Food was fantastic (though pricey) with VERY attentive, friendly service. Breakfast was reasonably priced. Special occasion restaurant--would dine there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time at Il PalioKittyVIPDined on 5/8/2014We enjoyed our second visit to Il Palio with friends. Have met the new manager through a wine class he is teaching. Thought the food was excellent and atmosphere pleasant and relaxing. I am not a fan of hotel restaurants, but this one is very good.Special Features:
- Chef Teddy Diggs Does It Again!MangiaBeneVIPDined on 5/4/2014Wow! I write a lot of reviews for this restaurant because I frequent at least once a week now...it's that good! I am always amazed at Chef Teddy Diggs creativity and this past weeks dinner blew me away! I saw on the menu right away a soup titled Stinging Nettles soup. I'm familiar with Stinging Nettles but never dreamed you could eat them let alone make a soup out of them so of course I had to order a bowl and boy am I glad I did! It was delicious and served with a perfectly poached egg which you break and mix up into the soup...what a great presentation! His menu changes practically daily so I don't know if this will be offered again but if you see it on there I encourage you to give it a try...you'll be glad you did!Special Features:
- coopsterVIPDined on 4/28/2014good hotel restaurant. good service, friendly ambience. convenient off of hotel lobby.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il Palio Misses AgainMuzzaDined on 4/24/2014Probably giving up on this spot. Asked for a quiet table for 5 and was given a large table for 8 at which we couldn't hear one another. Asked for another table. Were placed in front of the kitchen entrance and the activity and hovering staff made the experience feel chaaotic and quite noisy. Limited menu and servings were miniscule but good. Waiter was very inexperienced but tried to do a good job. We were all disappointed on this birthday occasion for two members of the party. with each changing chef, we've come back but finally would not recommend this restaurant again.
- unhappyDined on 4/24/2014Il Palio is back to its former elegant self! We loved everything--imaginative, delicious food, great service, highly recommend!Special Features: