2233 B-180a Kalakaua Ave.
Honolulu, HI 96815Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.illupino.com/index.php
- Phone: 8089223400x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 6:00am - 11:30am
Brunch Saturday/Sunday 6:00am - 12:00pm
Lunch: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Saturday/Sunday 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Happy Hour: Every Day 4:00pm - 6:30pm
Happy Hour Saturday/Sunday 12pm-6:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:30am,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:30am
Late Night Happy Hour: Thursday - Sunday 10:30pm - 12:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Italian
- Executive Chef: James Donahue
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Il Lupino
Il Lupino Trattoria & Wine Bar is the perfect place to experience the wonderful flavors of Italy. Whether it is in our beautifully appointed dining room or al fresco in the courtyard, you will be surrounded by handcrafted Italian appointments while you enjoy our fresh selection of Italian classics.Continued
If you would prefer small plates and socializing, enjoy hand-carved Italian meats, cheeses, and stone-oven baked thin crust pizza in our elegant wine bar, complete with a full selection of authentic Italian spirits and wines.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Il Lupino - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Il Lupino reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (32)fit for foodies (29)romantic (28)special occasion (25)notable wine list (22)neighborhood gem (16)good for groups (15)scenic view (12)hot spot (9)great for lunch (7)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- so soluv2dine5001Dined on 10/16/2014Caesar salad-bland. Just Romaine and croutons by any other name. Character? Nice location. Pleasant staff. Very nice and helpful.
- DamapatDined on 10/4/2014A delightful evening and great food. Only reasons not five stars overall are the noise level and crowded seating. If not an issue to you than il Lupino is five stars. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Italian in HonoluluOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014Better than the national chains, or some other locals' "favorites."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeNucleusDined on 9/30/2014Food and service was great will come back for my birthdaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphereGGZplace2dineDined on 9/27/2014It was a birthday celebration and we dined in the outdoor area. Service was excellent and the staff was friendly and personable.Special Features:
- Great food, horrible service!overstreetjjDined on 9/12/2014Waiters knowledge of the wine list/service lacked greatly. We asked for more bread FIVE times!. Our entrees came, we decided on more wine. Our waiter didn't check after food delivery; thus, waited. We couldn't find him, asked a waitress to tell him. After taking our wine order (we were waiting to eat our entrees), we waited but finally ate. By the time our wine came, we had just a few bites left so declined the bottle. Our sparkling water ran out with no one noticing, so grabbed our assistant who had still water. As we waited for the dessert menu/order and thereafter, we had nothing but empty glasses (we would've loved to have filled). The assistant waiter wasn't perfect but at least noted our discontent, our waiter seemed clueless.Special Features:
- Disappointing pastareviewerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Although the appetizers were delicious, and the cocktails very good, the pasta was uninspiring to say the least. My spaghetti was an over-cooked sticky mess, well past al dente, and my companion's linguine was no better.
- Food was deliciousSebishDined on 9/6/2014Excellent food, great service and impressive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome DiningjimbDined on 9/4/2014The food was awesome as was the service. A great place to have a nice quiet dinner. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excelent food service below averagechammeleonDined on 8/31/2014The food was great, BUT it took to them 25 minutes to get a glass to drink champagne, we were 4 people and they only had 3 champagne glasses available, they ran out of "dinner wear" and the occupancy was 85% aprox.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two visits, both awesome!DaveVIPDined on 8/31/2014We were pleasantly surprised with our first visit to Il Lupino, which we found while wandering around. So we booked for a second night and had a great experience again! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentGyleseyDined on 8/23/2014Decent food but overpriced for what it is (though I guess that's what you get on the strip in Waikiki). Service was ok apart from one particular waiter who was just appalling.
- Wake up to a Ginger Shot!!volcanomanVIPDined on 8/23/2014This is one of the nicest and well priced restaurants in the Waikiki area. It is very convenient, right in the heart of the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. You can sometimes hear Hawaiian chants because the courtyard is directly adjacent. My wife started with a ginger shot that looked like it was very strong...her eyes rolled back into her head...My eggs benedict was very good, my wife ate the loco moco, and the patty was one of the best I have had the opportunity to taste. We shared a waffle too, which was the highlight. This place is easy to recommend and the service was very good too.Special Features:
- DeliciousHare1Dined on 8/20/2014Excellent food, great cocktails. Very good suggestions by the waiter. We are Italians and very rarely visit Italian restaurants abroad. This time we did following our daughter's request and it was well worth! Just one remark: a spoon was provided for spaghetti. In Italy we do not use spoon with spaghetti. Anyway, great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Save your money/Overall terribleNJBobDined on 8/8/2014My worst dining experience on Oahu.The table was smack in the middle of the aisle.The air conditioner leaked the entire evening on my daughter.My wife could not sit properly at the table for fear of being run over.Service was slow and when the food arrived they did not place one plate with the person who ordered it.Food was so-so.If you are going to charge Il Mulino prices ($48 for a veal chop)you had better produce Il Mulino quality.I complained to the waiter and they sent the maitre 'de over but she basically told me they were busy. Busy? Really? On a Friday night in a tourist trap? How unusual.I guess being located in a mall in Waikiki guarantees a steady customer base of tourists;otherwise I don't understand how they get away with this.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014Wait staff was excellent, but table was small for a party of 5 adults. One guest was staring at a mirror all dinner. Half moon table was poor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tropical GemFrenchbreadVIPDined on 7/31/2014I had the gnocchi with bolognese. Il Lupino has THE best gnocchi on the planet. Yes, better than NYC and Boston's North End. They are the lightest little pillows of freshness I've ever had. The sauce was delicious and I was pleased that it was not over salted like so many places do. I had a wonderful glass of chardonnay (it was just too hot to have a red!) The wine list was exhaustive, exotic, and reasonably priced. My waiter and assistant servers were all pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Loaction, So so foodjackVIPDined on 7/30/2014Location is very nice, easy to access from waikiki, shopping center and Shearaton hotel. Nice environment, exotic atmosphere... If you sit outside is somewhat romantic. Eventhough they advertize that they are a wine bar and they have nice wine list, I don't think so. So so wines are listed then wine price goes to $500 or $600. Not much wine from $100~$300. Service is extremely slow and food are not much impressive.Special Features:
- Nice food nice serviceSteveVIPDined on 7/20/2014We had a nice dinner at this casual trattoria. We started with the Caprese. Then on to the Griled Salmon and the Pasta with meat sauce. Everything was good. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/20/2014Salmon Benedict was very good. Our server was also very attentive to our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JamesDDined on 7/19/2014Very good food. Lots of traditional Italian favourites but some had a Hawaiin touch. A very good wine list, extensive but not overwhelming.Special Features:
- Wait staff and entree needs attnDon1Dined on 7/17/2014Wait staff unorganized and slow. Entree needs attention, bland, no character. Dining room inside and out both tightly packed, may have exceeded max capacity. Would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. Should have heeded the reviews from yelp.
- Fun pretty local- food hit and missAvidTraveler6Dined on 7/16/2014We loved the location and ambience in the restaurant. Our table on the patio was just lovely. The waitstaff was very attentive and the Bolognese pasta was delicious. We did not,however, enjoy our salads. The caprice salad tomatoes were crunchy and tasteless. The Caesar salad had far too much dressing with a very strong anchovy taste. They could do better in that regard. But, hey, give it a try. Maybe things will be better for you!Special Features:
- Fantastic restaurantKimmerKDined on 7/14/2014The food and service were exceptional! Loved it and would highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We visited twiceNewarkDined on 7/11/2014The pizzas were excellent. The Tagliatelle Bolognese my husband had was also very good. We also enjoyed the Brussels Sprout side dish. Delicious. Being in Waikiki, one should not expect bargain prices. The Prosciutto pizza, while delicious, was $24; it was enough to serve 2-3, though. The wine was good, but also expensive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy HourTrainerTVIPDined on 7/7/2014We stopped in for Happy Hour and were very pleased. The bartender, Zack, was great...very personable. We returned later for a dinner reservation, and were very disappointed with the service. They were very slow and we observed the manager go around to some, but not all tables checking to see if things were ok. It seemed as if he only wanted to talk to tables with a lot of people at them. The hostess at the door was very uptight and didn't smile at all. The place (with the exception of the bartender) needs some serious customer service training, especially the manager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect lat night in HawaiialicelouiseDined on 7/3/2014We found this place by chance and we are so glad we did ! Amazing service and equally amazing food and wine. I would defiantly recommend it to anyone! 5 starsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was horriblePlaza3795VIPDined on 6/28/2014We arrived a few minutes past our 7:30pm reservation and were told by the hostess that they were "taking a break from seating at the moment." When we were finally taken to our table we were told that the kitchen was "backed up" and to please be patient. While we waited for our food we proceeded to watch as a table complained to the manager that they wanted a charge taken off of their bill and the manager refused. Then a Japanese couple left shortly after ordering and were frustrated when there was no effort to understand what they were saying or try to find someone who could translate. Finally at 9:30 - 2 hours after our reservation we received our entrees. Its too bad that the service is so terrible because the food is half decent.
- don't order the steakbos8VIPDined on 6/28/2014Our waiter was quite emphatic that ordering the steak would be a good idea since the restaurant is associated to Wolfgang's Steak house restaurant. Unfortunately one of our steaks ordered medium was cooked very un-evenly at first... We sent the steak back and it came back rare. Already this was after everyone else had finished their meal.. so the person who ordered this cut around the rarest parts. When we sent the plate back partly eaten and the manager which we had to ask for came by.. she refused to do anything but offer a limoncello for the troubles. This is not acceptable of any restaurant and certainly not one that puts forward a skilled steak kitchen. The unapologetic treatment from the manager is inexcusable.
- Superb in every wayPartyof6Dined on 6/24/2014I am so happy that I came across Ilupino when I was researching places to go for dinner while visiting Waikiki. I was a little worried when I found out they did not have a specific kids menu but the spaghetti bolognese was a huge hit with all four of my children. The bruschetta was one of the best I have ever had as well. Everything that we ordered was amazing and the service was top notch. Excellent place to try for a high quality, wonderful dining experience different from the typical hawaiian food elsewhere. I would highly recommend il lupino!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gem in WaikikiKonaBlueDined on 6/24/2014It was purely by accident that I stumbled into this place, but a very happy accident! Outstanding, fresh Italian cuisine with a contemporary accent. I especially appreciated the server's offer to make something "off the menu" to suit my vegetarian, no-mushroom palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 330 reviews are from the Il Lupino reviews archive.
- Good food but a long waitBruceVIPDined on 6/22/2014Ate at this restaurant 3 days ago- we were seated promptly and our order was taken about 5 minutes later- after another 5 minutes the waitress returned to tell us that 3 of the items that we had ordered were not available- we placed our orders again- this time we waited about 30 minutes for our food to arrive- received several very apologetic comments from the wait staff about the long wait, but no explanation- food was reasonable, but not great- not sure we would return to this restaurant if we were in Honolulu again
- Incredible Service and foodCampbellVIPDined on 6/16/2014The food was really fresh and the service was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diner at Il LupinoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Great food, especially seafood. Nice ambience, especially outdoorSpecial Features:
- This Was GoodTBlankleyDined on 6/11/2014This restaurant is a find, a totally unexpected oasis of Europe located in mid Waikiki. Weather permitting, eat outdoors and enjoy the calm parade of strollers through the gardens and pathways between the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. There is no view of the ocean here...this is not a "Hawaiian" restaurant. It is a delightful break from the Hawaii norm! It is easy to overeat at this restaurant because the portion sizes are good, particularly if you enjoy charcuterie and choose it as an appetizer. Trust your server, they are knowledgeable. This is not haut cuisine - it doesn't strive to be - but all in all it is a very nice dining experience.Special Features:
- An oasis in the midst of Waikikigtkyl72Dined on 6/8/2014We love going to Il Lupino for breakfast / brunch on Sunday's ... if you go around 10:45 to 11:15, the place is quite peaceful as the changeover from breakfast to lunch is taking place. A flute of Champagne and a great breakfast; the sun and wafting breezes; what more do you want?Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/29/2014Wife and I had our evening dinner here and it went so well we returned the next day for lunch. I had the local catch for the day and wife enjoyed a salad. Food and service is why we will again patronize this restaurant. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Italian restaurantHonolulu2012Dined on 5/22/2014Despite the fact that we reserved our table was not found. We were not able to sit outside as requested, but ended up close to the kitchen (hectic, busy). The service was excellent, the food was good. Beverages very high price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!LocalDined on 5/11/2014Our first time. We live here and my mom and I decided here for our Mother's day celebration. Efficient service and very upbeat. The food was amazing and prices were very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Location, Bad Italian FoodinkyxDined on 5/10/2014Wow, Il Lupino wins for its location next to the Royal Hawaiian and Sheraton, but calling this Italian? No way. I cook better than their chefs, and I'm only a part-time family chef. So we ordered the scallops which was very salty, not having been rinsed, and then having the tops covered in capers. It was beyond "salty", more like, preserved for later consumption. Guess the first clue the restaurant relies on location to survive is the bread that lacked flavor, substance and a "made here" from our ovens origin. Go if you're desperate, but not for the food.