11359 Santa Monica Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90025Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ilgrano.com/
- Phone: (310) 477-7886
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday -Friday: 11:30am - 2:15pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5;30pm -10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Marino
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room
- Catering: At your place or ours! Experienced catering staff for intimate dinners of 8 or large functions of 300 catered to fulfill all your needs and requests for complete event function.
- Private Party Facilities: 1 dining room max 12
1 dining room max 30, with separate entrance, restroom, complete privacy.
- Private Party Contact: Sal 310 477 7886
A word from Il Grano
Il Grano's contemporary Italian cuisine is served in a comfortable and modern atmosphere. Chef Sal Marino's top quality seafood, produce from local organic farms and his own garden, and all natural meats are the basis for the authentic Italian cuisine which has earned him a James Beard nominee for Best Chef and recognition by Bon Appetit, Food & Wine, Gourmet, Wine Spectator, Angeleno, LA Times and more. Seasonal menus, spectacular seafood tasting dinners beginning with the signature crudo-raw impeccably fresh fish (LA Times), the ever changing popular vegetarian tasting menu (culminating with Tomato Wednesday starting in July highlighting over 40 varieties of heirloom tomatoes grown in his garden) assure you a wonderfully different experience each visit. Award winning Wine Spectator wine list with 1,000 selections including over 100 wines under $60.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Grano reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (57)neighborhood gem (48)special occasion (33)notable wine list (24)romantic (23)great for lunch (21)good for groups (8)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- How have I missed this place for 17 years!!plumdumplingsDined on 11/15/2014Found it just looking for an open rez in SM on a Saturday night. What a find! Interesting menu, beautiful well prepared food, professional service, and a wine list and wine atmosphere to die for. As is the nature of things, good wine and good food have found themselves coming together here. We lucked out because it's truffle season and Il Grano had several perfect, plain truffle dishes available. You can't beat a perfectly cooked egg with a big shaving of white truffle on it. And the truffle portions were very generous (for the US) and very fairly priced. We didn't manage to get into the fish and seafood which they are known for, but it seems that most every table ordered a salt encrusted fish that gets set free tableside. Looked great as did all the dishes passing by. Enjoyed the dessert menu with both regular offerings and small bites. What a great idea! That way you can have a big dinner and still have some dessert ;) This is obviously a neighborhood and foodie gem. Most of the diners seemed to know someone else and chef/owner Sal knows everyone. And if he doesn't, he's going to meet you. Truly excited to have found a killer westside restaurant and will definitely be back again. Also looking forward to checking out the goodies and having a meal next door at La Bottega.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing return visitJHG1VIPDined on 11/1/2014Sometimes third time is not a charm. Had been there twice for lunch and it was great. The third time - dinner -was a major disappointment. The persimmon/burrata/arugula salad was tasteless; the papradelle was covered with some tasteless sauce and a few pieces of pheasant; the pear crumble came straight from the fridge to the microwave to the table - twice - and was warm on the outside and cold on the inside. Fruit cobblers and crumbles are supposed to be served hot - but not here. The osso buco was small and not good and the squash/ginger soup was barely passable. The service was peculiar - a brand new server who didn't know much and had to keep checking with someone for virtually every question. The one bright spot was the wine.
- Superb Experience!SherylVIPDined on 10/29/2014We were among only 2 tables in the restaurant on a weeknight - perhaps due to the final game of the World Series. Our food was beyond scruptious - every detail delectable. The service was fine though a bit distracted a few times but overall very professional and helpful. I recommend Il Grano highly - you will be delighted!Special Features:
- Don't Miss Out On This Gem!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2014This restaurant is known for it's impeccable seafood. The Crudo plate (all raw seafood) was the freshest fish I have ever had at a restaurant. The scallop tasted like it had just been taken from the water and the blue-eyed tuna was the perfect texture. Our main courses were equally spectacular from squid ink pasta with sea urchin to clams in red sauce with bottarga shaved table-side to your liking over the top. Sal the chef/owner, came out with each course to chat and see how we were doing. We ordered two desserts, one with a strawberry basil sorbet and a great pear tart, both of which I was very reluctant to share. Easy to park, close to the Nuart Theater, everyone should try this place! Reminds me of the restaurants I love back East!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BranzinoNavaDined on 10/13/2014Homegrown seasonal vegetables and the best Branzino in Salt in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!BorisDined on 9/26/2014Outstanding in every way! The food was excellent, imaginative menu, fresh ingredients, deliciously prepared, meticulously served. Excellent service, friendly, unobtrusive. Loved being able to have 1/2 glass of wine paired to each course. One of the better dinners we've had in a long time.Special Features:
- Have to experience tomato WednesdayMikeVIPDined on 9/24/2014If you have never experienced tomato wednesday, well you have three more weeks… Amazing. Pizza Gazpacho Calamari stuffed with Caponata Spaghetti with the freshest clams Amazing Caprese I'll be back next week!!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/23/2014absolutely magnificent food, beautiful atmosphere (for those of us who enjoy serenity with our meals), elegant service.Special Features:
- borntoeatVIPDined on 9/20/2014Went with a BBE discount and found the food was excellent (burrata filled pockets in fresh cherry tomato sauce that was bursting with flavors and freshness; Grilled octopus; black cod; stuffed zucchini blossoms), service was equally good and it was quiet that you can actually have a conversation without yelling! Definitely will return even without the incentive of discount. It is a little on the pricy side however but really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasant experienceepicureanVIPDined on 9/20/2014We enjoy our dining experience at Il Grano because of the delicious food and excellent service. The seasonal menus (e.g., Tomato Wednesdays, featuring heriloom tomatoes from their organic garden) shouldn't be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il Grano = sublimeAri111Dined on 9/11/2014In June 2014, an acquaintance who manages an auction house invited me to lunch, and we went to Il Grano. I'd never heard of it; since then, I've eaten there on 5 occasions. To summarize, the ingredients are fresh (Note: Sal picks the vegetables from a garden located behind the restaurant), the food prep is simple and innovative, the wait staff are attentive in an unobtrusive manner, and the tasting menu can be adjusted to one's personal taste. Moreover, given the quality of the food, the pricing is extremely reasonable. Il Grano is a wonderful and pleasant surprise in L.A., providing exceptional food in an unpretentious, cool atmosphere. I hope that new diners' experiences at Il Grano mirrors that of my guests and me.Special Features:
- We could have dined all night...DoctoralVIPDined on 9/6/2014Personal attentive service - a warm feeling they were very happy we were there even though they were full - each course prepared and presented with care - try the open face ravioli (aperto) or any pasta, for that matter and the black cod a la "foam" - next time one of the very appealing "Tasting menus"Special Features:
- One of the bestPrivateDInerVIPDined on 9/3/2014This Chef is not only a good Chef but he goes all his own fruits, vegetables and herbs! This year he had over 20 varieties of the most delicious tomatoes you would ever want to taste. It is not on one of the main drives like San Vicente, Wilshire or Montana etc. because I sometimes forget it but after this last meal, his Wednesday Tomato Night, my friend and I are determined to return. The parking is easy, which makes it nice as well. No valet, you don't need one. If you like Italian, I say definitely give this little gem a try.Special Features:
- Never Disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/2/2014From the grilled artisan sources organic peach with burrata, to the pasta fungi, to the albacore, to the mini-dessert sweets + lovely wine ... lie was good. Thank you, Il Grano!Special Features:
- Exquisite dinner!FoodisTheatreVIPDined on 8/29/2014Though the neighborhood is slow in its revitalization, this restaurant is state-of-the-art. Everything from the knowledgeable and attentive wait staff and the simple elegance of the atmostphere to the beautifully prepared dishes, I would not hesitate to fine-dine at Il Grano. Complimentary champagne for our anniversary, followed by an amuse-bouche of tuna tartar... appetizers of Fiori and Caprese, entrees were the Caramelle and Paccheri a Ragu imperiale with sides of Vegetali al forno and Rapini, finishing with dessert of Albian Strawberry Tarts and Cioccolato. Would not have changed one bite. (Visit Il Grano's website for menu descriptions.) Chef Sal came by toward the end to make sure we had enjoyed our meal. Enjoyed? An understatement!Special Features:
- All around wonderfullarryDined on 8/26/2014Sal Marino , the owner treats everyone like an old friend. The food is delicious and authentic. One must try Sal's home grown tomatos.Special Features:
- PookiePookieVIPDined on 8/26/2014This chef is wonderful and grows his own tomatoes which he serves in various delicious recipes. I had the homemade pasta with summer truffles shaved on top. It was divine. The wine list is excellent with a focus on good Italian wines. Excellent seafood. The service is excellent and attentive. I wish I could have lunch and dinner here daily!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014Very good food and quality wines at a reasonable. Excellent service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tomato Wednesday!lravVIPDined on 8/20/2014I went with a group of 13 of us in the private room. The chef helped create a custom tasting menu within our budget and every single item was amazing, considering they were grown from the chef's private garden. LOVE this place. Total hidden gem.Special Features:
- We were underwhelmed.LisaVIPDined on 8/14/2014We had heard such great things about Il Grano, specifically about the fish. My husband and I both ordered fish entrees. They were mediocre at best especially given the price point. We won't go back.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back!BHReviewer2VIPDined on 8/13/2014We hadn't been to Il Grano for a number of months & decided to go for our anniversary. On Wednesday during the summer a Pomodoro/Tomato menu, fresh from Sal's garden is offered. All small plates to share. Everything we had was delicious & innovative - focaccia with tomatoes, tomato sushi, burrata, seared tuna with tomatoes, the potato gnocci melted in your mouth and even tomato sorbet that was truly an treat. The service was exceptional - our waiter was out to please - he was concerned we didn't like the wine we had ordered, we had stated it was unusual, and he brought another for us to try. We look forward to returning next Wednesday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatLeneVIPDined on 8/13/2014consistently good, fresh food; attentive wait staffSpecial Features:
- rosieVIPDined on 8/7/2014Uses top ingredients to make a special dining experience.Special Features:
- Consistenly GoodJHG1VIPDined on 8/6/2014Wednesday is tomato day during the summer and the green zebra gazpacho was outstanding as was the san marzano tomato pizza. The tomato sorbet is an experiment .... Definitely worth making Il Grano a regular dining spot!Special Features:
- Il Grano is living on its pastWouldliketogobackDined on 8/2/2014Both food and service used to be very good. Service is abominable. The current wait-staff should be fired and new staff brought in with training provided by professionals. If food were extraordinary, I would go back even with "bad" service. Alas, this is not the case. I will never go back to Il Grano. Sal needs to reinvent the restaurant.
- Great date nightloveFOODDined on 8/2/2014I went here with my husband and we really enjoyed it. We never felt rushed by the staff and very much enjoyed our wine. The red snapper crudo was awesome but my favorite was the squid ink pasta with sea urchin sauce, it was incredible!Special Features:
- jaowDined on 8/2/2014Some of the food was very good and artistic. My dish was not. Was the salmon frozen? The service was very slow. But is was sufficiently quiet so we could talk to our friends. We were a table of 6.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/26/2014It was a terrible experience. The service was extremely slow. One dish was undercooked. The vegetables in one dish were not properly washed, so they had grit in them. Although we dined starting at 7:30, one of the desserts was sold out by the time we finally reached that part of our meal.
- wonderful ambiancestevenDined on 7/26/2014Beautiful and delicious food and gracious service. we loved everything about out experience. highly recommended !Special Features:
- foodBebrVIPDined on 7/24/2014food was good but highly salted. Chef came out to greet all his customers, nice touchI would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestJimcaltiusVIPDined on 7/24/2014Awesome food and service! This is a gem and Sal is a master chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 312 reviews are from the Il Grano reviews archive.
- Just greatJHG1VIPDined on 7/14/2014Excellent food, excellent service, nicely furnished and all around great experience (and bottomless glass of diet coke!). Highly recommended for lunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointingPaliDinerVIPDined on 7/12/2014We have had many good meals there, but this one was way off. The food was overly salted, to the point of being inedible. I asked for my mail dish to have no salt & they put 10 times the normal salt on the vege's to make up for it. My wife's fish tasted old like it was about to go bad. she didn't eat it, and noone asked if there was something wrong. Since it took so long to get the food, we didn't complain or send it back. I would say it was a different chef, but the owner/chef was out and around in the dining room. Server was very nice, but very slow, took multiple requests to get more water or bread or to get my dirty bread plate replaced. To top it off, we had a groupon for 30% off and they only reduced the bill by 20%, not right!!
- Very mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/12/2014Was very disappointed with the food. Would absolutely not return! There are so many wonderful Italian restaurants in this city. Don't waste your money here!
- Consistently wonderfulAnonVIPDined on 6/26/2014Excellent meals, imaginativeely prepared, hand-sourced often from the Chef’s own vegetable, herb, and fruit gardens. This past lunch, the grilled apricots and burrata were the stand-out, and the bolognese and whole-wheat pasta -- divine.Special Features:
- Shhh Best Kept Secret in WLA!JimcaltiusVIPDined on 6/17/2014Food awesome, service awesome, satisfaction level uber-awesome! Already booked for next week :)Special Features:
- I love this placesdp90404VIPDined on 6/4/2014Il Grano is a great place for a business meeting or a quiet meal with a sig other. Food is generally excellent. Very reasonable wine list. Chef/owner Sal is extremely friendly and available. I have been going for years and hope to continue to do soSpecial Features:
- Still TerrificencinocarolDined on 5/22/2014We had eaten at Il Grano years ago and being Valley dwellers who don't do dinner on the Westside very often, hadn't been back until a few nights ago. Although the menu seemed different, the choices were very interesting. Each of us had something different (salmon, rabbit, goat and salt-encrusted bronzino) and did tastings all around ... so all of us gave each dish a thumb's-up! Desserts were equally intriguing. I was so happy that they had mini-tarts (I had nectarine) so I wouldn't feel as guilty as usual when I splurge on dessert. The wine list was great, as was the service. We would come back here any time!Special Features:
- Remarkable food in a quiet settingTomLAVIPDined on 5/5/2014I went to Il Grano for a quick bite before the movies, and was blown away by the quality of the food--inventive, fresh and remarkably good. The crudo in particular was marvelous. The service was just the perfect balance between attentive and unobtrusive. The chef came out and greeted the diners, and his energy and enthusiasm were obvious.Special Features:
- quite retreatundertheradarVIPDined on 5/2/2014Food was terrific, as was the service. And it's nice to be able to hear yourself talk. But there's hardly anyone in the restaurant on a Friday night! People should know that they'll have a great meal here: terrific seafood and pastas. But maybe we should be happy that this neighborhood beauty appears to be undiscovered.Special Features: