2901 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90405Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornocaffe.com/
- Phone: 3104501241
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm Dinner: Moonday - Thursday 5:30pm - 10:00pm Dinner: Friday - Saturday 5:30 - 10:30pm Dinner: Sunday 5:00pm - 9:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday - 5:30pm - 10:00pm Dinner: Friday - Saturday - 5:30pm - 10:30pm Dinner: Sunday - 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Domenico Salvatore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full catering service available, office catering, at home cooking, to go pick up.
- Private Party Facilities: Il Forno has everything you need to create the perfect party, office meeting, family or social event. Whether at your location (office, home, etc.) or ours, we can plan and deliver a custom menu for your guests. We can accommodate any event including Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, Birthdays, Anniversaries, Graduations, and Office parties. For your special event, Il Forno offers two Private dining areas. For more information on our catering services please call or email us.
- Private Party Contact: Sorin Costache 3104501241
A word from Il Forno
The “food, owners and servers are all so very Italian” at this “neighborhood favorite” next to Santa Monica Airport (and its branch on Colorado Avenue) where locals go for “delicious, unpretentious”, “reasonably priced” fare and “friendly”, “attentive” service in a “low-key” setting that’s “perfect” when “you want a tablecloth but don’t want to get dressed up.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Forno reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)great for outdoor dining (21)fit for foodies (16)good for groups (15)great for lunch (14)special occasion (12)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (8)romantic (6)late-night find (4)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Quick and YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Went for a quick dinner at 6:45 with some friends as we had theatre tickets for a nearby 8pm play. Seated us quickly, very accommodating to our time constraints. Enjoyed wine and various pasta specials for the evening. Cauliflower soup and Caesar salad - all delicious. Great service too. I'll be back when I can enjoy a bit more leisurely. Btw, Noises Off play was very funny and enjoyable too!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Selections!luv2dineDined on 10/17/2014The menu selections are outstanding! There are many different pastas dinners from which to choose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Solidfoodie007VIPDined on 10/16/2014Il Forno is always a solid choice. The staff is always friendly and the food always consistent.Special Features:
- Best Dining Experience EverwicketcricketDined on 9/28/2014This establishment is the heart of Northern Italy in Santa Monica. The atmosphere, the staff, the food, the entire vibe is amazing. Last time I stopped by was aprroximately 20 yrs ago. I recently went back and was happy to see that some things have not changed. Il Forno has always maintained that wonderful customer service, they really do treat you like family.Special Features:
- great neighborhood cafeLASFDined on 9/27/2014I have been going to Il Forno for many years, consistently good. A wonderful neighborhood restaurant, nice atmosphere. My only issue is our waiter got two orders wrong. The portions are good, and the bread it the best !
- Reliably goodluv2eatDined on 9/19/2014Very good food in a nice setting. The staff is very nice, and the owners seem to care about their customers. Parking is free and has easy access to the restaurant, which is a bonus.Special Features:
- Wonderful place to sit outsideJoecaliforniaDined on 9/12/2014Sat outside, we had a wonderful Italian meal. Everything was excellent - food, service, ambiance. Very reasonable for Santa Monica. Our bill for 3 people, including 2 glasses of wine, antipasto app, 3 meals, and 2 desserts was $100.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/8/2014We loved the appetizer of the day...barrata cheese, melon and prosciutto as well as the house made pappadelle pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itLindaVIPDined on 9/4/2014Great for business and friend lunches - lovely outdoor nooks that are good for private conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true gem that's always consistentSharbearVIPDined on 8/31/2014Great food, service, location, parking -- I dare you to find something wrong with this place. It's always a wonderful place to go for dinner. I haven't had lunch here, but I'm sure it's just as good!Special Features:
- Excellent food with a smileMarkBDined on 8/26/2014Always a please dining here. Great favors and selection. Wait staff very. Ice and patient. May be a little pricey for middle of the week but perfect for weekend relaxed dinners. A bit noisy at times unless you are there early.Special Features:
- Always Solidfoodie007VIPDined on 8/25/2014Il Forno is always a solid choice. The food and serving are excellent.
- Poor Service, OK foodMelissaBVIPDined on 8/17/2014They were clearly under staffed the night we went, it made for a less than great dinner experience. The food was fine, not worth dealing with the lack of service though. Probably won't be back.Special Features:
- Mangia MangiaLinkemanDined on 8/11/2014My buddy and I met for a bite the other evening. We arrived at 6:30 and were warmly greeted and seated. There was an array of folk enjoying their food. Families with children, couples, business types, etc. I had Domenico's Pizza which was fantastic, and my pal had pasta bolognese which was very tasty. I have lived in the area for over 30 years and this was my first visit to Il Forno. It will not be my last.Special Features:
- Good- and Prices Won't Choke YouKailuaKweenDined on 8/9/2014We used to bring the kids here when they were little for the casual atmosphere and good food. After 10 years away, not much has changed, except the kids can order wine. Seafood linguine w/red bell pepper sauce was a highlight. Complimentary Bruschetta had big chunks of fresh tomatoe, but was a little too heavy on the garlic for my taste. Pear and goat cheese salad w/hazelnuts hit the spot. The mushroom sauce on the rolled chicken made up for the chicken being a little dry. Excellent pizza margherita. I would have licked the tiramisu plate, but not in front of the kids. And free parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AS13Dined on 7/19/2014Had great pasta and a calzone at Il Forno, would definitely be back!Special Features:
- YummyVIPDined on 6/29/2014Great family friendly local. Well recommended, and frequented often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome experienceilforno1fanDined on 6/28/2014We love this restaurant, we have been going there since we started dating (10 yrs ago or so)! We got married, now have 2 children that enjoy the food, especially the dulce de la casa (tiramisu) we're totally recommend you this place!! The staff is so friendly ;-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 342 reviews are from the Il Forno reviews archive.
- Can't say enough about Il Forno!dwprodsDined on 6/20/2014Whether you are local to the neighborhood, working close by, or traveling here to meet friends, Il Forno is one of those rare restaurants where you are able to feel a part of things. The food, service and ambience are predictably excellent as is the bread. There are three great eating environments: a more formal dining room that works better for me at night, a casual interior dining area that feels outside because of all the windows, and a nest of outside tables that on a summer day is the perfect setting for a business lunch or meal with friends. Il Forno has always been a gem - and it has continued to polish its act with age.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a winnerHealthyEaterDined on 6/19/2014We love this place! Wonderful wait staff. Friendly atmosphere. Consistently good food. Something on the menu for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeJeanPierreDined on 6/17/2014After going to Il Forno since 1986 and moving away I went back to find the same outstanding quality and service since they opened in 1986. Many of the original staff is still there and remememberd me. Just a gem without the unecessry hipe and exagertions so typical of LA. Drive up, parkyourself and eat. No silly Valet Parking and show off people . This place is about food! Jean-Pierre BieriSpecial Features:
- YummyVIPDined on 6/14/2014Always good! Great food and service, in a low key neighbourhood spot. Would definitely recommend if youa re local.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!finedineNwineDined on 6/1/2014Great food, great wine list. Very fresh food. Plan to go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfecto!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/1/2014I knew I'd love the pasta I'd ordered, because I could smell the sweet aroma of the wine added to the meat sauce. The service was great, and the outdoor patio perfect.Special Features:
- Love it!DonnaVIPDined on 6/1/2014Well overdue for a reivew. My husband and I eat here regularly. So many wonderful choices and EVERYTHING is delicious! The service is outstanding and the quality of food is fresh. You can tell that the owners take pride in what they serve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodDonnJulieVIPDined on 5/31/2014We had a lovely meal last Saturday night. The food was outstanding. Restaurant very busy and quite noisy. We arrived a little bit late for our reservation but were seated immediately. there was a brief hiccup in service--had to ask for our appetizer to be brought out twice--kitchen snafu and very busy waiter. Waiter was very apologetic and gave us complementary dessert and coffee. We will definitively be back.Special Features:
- Best in the WestSheilaDined on 5/25/2014Il Forno among the best Italian restaurants on the westside of LA. The neighborhood loves it. People come from all over to sit on a beautiful summer night and enjoy the whole experience. I eat there eight or nine times a week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great exoerience.....HealthyEaterDined on 5/17/2014Love this restaurant, and always enjoy the food and service. It's a great place to take guests when you want to have a delicious meal in a relaxed atmosphere!Special Features:
- Great Italian flavor...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014The food at this restaurant was very good. The taste of all the pasta dishes were sophisticated but not overwhelming. Highly Recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day lunch!CheriDined on 5/11/2014We had a very nice lunch for Mother's Day. The service was excellent. The food was delicious. The restaurant was very quiet. I assume it was because they aren't typically open on Sundays. This was the first time we had dined here. I definetly would come here again and frequently if I lived closer. Will absolutely recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StacyDined on 5/8/2014amazing food amazing service... LOVE LOVE this placeSpecial Features:
- Great Italian RestaurantkdizzleDined on 4/30/2014My boyfriend and I went here on our first date and we return every year on our anniversary for a delicious Italian meal in a great atmosphere! The food is great, there is a nice wine list, and yummy tiramisu for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itEmmabellaDined on 4/24/2014Went to dinner with my boyfriend and my grandparents (whom are usually very picky) and they all loved it! It was all of our first time and it was really incredible. Everything was perfect from how my AMAZING lamb was prepared to the fluffiness and warmness of the bread and (amazing) dip they served with it. Definitely recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pm61Dined on 4/24/2014nice neighborhood spot. food can at times be uneven. Pizza good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great.don24Dined on 4/19/2014I've come here since I can remember, late nineties I think. I am always happy and satisfied with the food and service. it has that nice Italian family thing goin on too. the chef may come to your table and ask you about the food. it's in an odd sort of place considering how good it is. pretty consistent over the years for an best-kept-secret kind of place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pizza outside of Italy!!!Lucky1VIPDined on 4/13/2014What a wonderful surprise this restaurant was! It was our first time dining there and din't know what to expect. Food was absolutely delicious. Everything was fresh and well prepared and beautifully presented. Pizza was amazing..thin crusted and reminded us of the best of Italy. Gnocci were also wonderful..tomatoes in Caprese salad were fresh and tasted home grown. The bread was so good, hard to resist. The atmosphere was friendly, busy and cheerful with a range of families with children and couples.Service was attentive and pleasant. We look forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il Forno is a favorite!PatMarguliesVIPDined on 4/10/2014We love Il Forno, on Ocean Park Blvd... delicious food, wonderful service, marvelous menu. I keep ordering the same thing each time as I cannot get away from it! Great wine list; by the glass too. I cannot wait to return! Thank you Il Forno!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect BirthdayLuvitalianDined on 4/5/2014We love authentic Italian....and Il Forno is the place! Bruschetta and bread were outstanding. Husband has the scampi and I had the veal. Both were prepared perfectly. Shared the chocolate raspberry cake for dessert. It was husband's birthday and this dinner was a hit. We look forward to many returns.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always great food!Love2eatVIPDined on 4/4/2014Home comfort food! Great atmosphere and always excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite neighborhood spotBHReviewer2VIPDined on 4/3/2014We have been dining at Il Forno for many, many years. The food and service are always consistently good -don't miss the fresh artichoke salad, the branzino or the tuna carpaccio!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.