Il Forno Restaurant
900 N. Glebe Rd
Arlington, VA 22203Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Forno Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.myilforno.com/
- Phone: 7038072050x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary American, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Wine
A word from Il Forno Restaurant
Il Forno Restaurant is coming to the ground floor of the Virginia Tech Research Center building. “Il Forno” means “The Oven” so look for excellent pizza from their oven, being imported from Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Forno Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (17)good for groups (10)romantic (9)special occasion (8)great for lunch (8)notable wine list (5)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- zaykaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/9/2014Interesting combinations and great presentation. Enjoyed the choices. Yummy limoncello sorbet dessert.Special Features:
- Quite a find!dinearoundVIPDined on 9/5/2014We dined at Il Forno as a last minute outing. Next time it will be a destination. From the owner's warm greeting to the delicious dessert, Il Forno was excellent. There were mouth-watering options on the menu and in the specials. The arugula salad was fresh and crisp, with a light dressing that didn't overwhelm it. My companion's Caesar salad was also first-rate. The linguine pasta with clams also contained pancetta, and was delicious. The cannoli and gelato were great. We look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service is outstandingNebraskaVIPDined on 9/5/2014Food is superb! Highly recommend. Amazing veal piccata; great seasonal food. Sommelier matched entree with perfect wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most underrated in Ballston!MarianaLVIPDined on 9/4/2014Great service, excellent lamb chops, solid wine selection. What more could you want? Was empty when we were there--guess the word hasn't gotten out yet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Italian without driving TO DCPrimeRibLoverVIPDined on 8/26/2014We are thrilled to find such great Italian food close to our home in Arlington. Now we can dine fine Italian without having to schlep into DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JaneDined on 8/26/2014The food prep is unique and tantalizing. By far one of the best in the area. Plus free parking in the basement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood findOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/21/2014Excellent choices, and very friendly and knowledgeable staff. All four of us enjoyed on our first visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingRaspberryberetDined on 8/2/2014Food over sauced and over seasoned. Not subtle at all. Watery martini. Over priced evening. Great wait staff but won't be returning.
- EnjoyedRhsteelDined on 7/19/2014Our first trip to Arlington; the waiters were very attentive, and the food was great.Special Features:
- Impeccable ServicedsboxerDined on 7/15/2014The food is excellent and the service the maitre de restaurant provides is impeccable. It's the second time I have dined here and I'm sure I'll be back.Special Features:
- Great for quiet moments w/ companyDekiruDined on 7/9/2014If you want to talk, eat great food, drink nice wine, and share a quiet moment with a dear friend - all at a reasonable price - then come to Il FornoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Empty Restaraunt...ChrisVIPDined on 7/7/2014Pleasant experience. Tasty food. Restaraunt was empty, not quite sure why. Extremely attentive staff. Only item we were not a fan of was the hand written note on the check as to the suggested tip. Found that a bit tacky.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TERRIBLEShayDined on 6/21/2014The first three items I wanted weren't available (booze and food, both). The food I ended up getting was very bland, and the server could not understand anything we said. It was a frustrating, disappointing, and VERY over-priced experience.
- Good but something lackingFalcon48Dined on 6/20/2014Went for dinner with a friend. Seated quickly; the waiter was perhaps a little too attentive and too anxious to go over specials when we wanted to relax with drinks. My mixed salad with walnuts, cranberries, and raspberry vinagrette was a bit too sweet with too much dressing. We shared a platter of various hams and cheeses. The ham was surprisingly unimpressive; too little cheese. The beef checks were excellent; even my friend, who at first didn't want to try them, thought them great. We shared a pinapple dessert that also was very good. The wine list is very reasonable with good wines at decent prices. When we left, we both felt that it had been a good, but not a great experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findBobFDined on 6/18/2014Searched online for a moderately priced Italian reataurant close to our hotel. Menu was very appealing so we decided to give it a try. Would definitely come back. I got to converse a bit in Italian with the staff with my newly acquired skills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il Forno is the best in BallstonBT50VIPDined on 6/14/2014I can't understand why this place isn't jammed with people. The food and service are fabulous. I believe it was once under other management and maybe wasn't as good, but if you didn't like it before, you should definitely try it again now. It is our new favorite place in Arlington.Special Features:
- Lovely Experience!PlainJaneVIPDined on 6/13/2014Il Forno made an evening with a group of friends a lovely experience! The food is truly Italian, sophisticated but not pretentious. The service was gracious, welcoming, and very efficient. It seemed the staff was proud of their food, service, and ambiance, and really cared about their guests. Even something as simple as crostini really stood out. I especially appreciated that our part of six could all hear each other and easily converse at our round table. Whether having a serious business meeting or catching up with friends, I will gladly return to Il Forno!Special Features:
- best food in a long timearlingtonianDined on 5/31/2014I have been to il forno several times for lunch and food has always been great. This was my first time for dinner. The service was exceptional. Far superior then its 'big' competitor at the Wilson/Glebe intersection. Food was also outstanding, started with muusels for the table. Main course was scallops & shrimp on skewer cooked to perfection. Table companion had baby lamb chops and claimed, "best she ever had". Did not have dessert. Cappuccino was frothed with such expertise, it brought back memories of my first cappuccino in Italy. I'll For no is truly a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mookieVIPDined on 5/27/2014A very nice scene for a quiet delicious meal. Cant go wrong here. Food and service is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 46 reviews are from the Il Forno Restaurant reviews archive.
- perfectionperfectoDined on 5/19/2014As I went in immediately the manager greeted us with a huge smile and sat us in the perfect seat next to a window. Not too long after Anthony our waiter came to us and answered all of our questions with fine details and recommended that we try a spaghetti with seafood and a chicken roll type of dish so me and my wife tried both and we fell in love. Anthony made us laugh the entire night and even said I look like Nicholas cage. I will definitely be back with friends, hungry for more. As we left the host/manager gave us his card, shook our hands and made us feel very much at home. This restaurant is top shelf material.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood gemLuvtheOBXDined on 5/10/2014We so enjoyed our dining experience at Il Forno. The waiters were attentive and the food was delicious. The veal porterhouse was cooked to perfection and melt-in-your-mouth delicious; the pappardelle pasta was oh-so-yummy and the seafood special was to die for! This was our first dining experience there and we look forward to returning. Il Forno's food rivals and is truly finer quality than the food at more expensive restaurants. A must go to for Italian food lovers.
- A very pleasant eveningLandNDined on 5/9/2014Good food, decent wine, all together a fine evening. We live nearby; we'll go again. The service was accommodating dealing with allergies, and thoughtful suggestions.Special Features:
- A Little Expensive For The QuantityShabotDined on 5/7/2014Good food, although I found myself a little hungry afterwards. Spaghetti ai frutti di mare tasted good, although aside from two large shrimp, the dish contained only tiny mussels, clams, and salad-sized shrimp. Gnocchi was quite good. An awkward moment was when the server offered cheese and we accepted, but were then recommended that it wouldn't taste right on the frutti di mare and it would be a bit too heavy for the gnocchi. So perhaps they shouldn't have offered?
- Great Food and Service!FitFoodieVIPDined on 5/3/2014This is definitely a hidden gem! Great food, lovely presentation, and top-notch service. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good PizzaTashDined on 4/28/2014Nice staff, courteous owner, good meal, great service revisitSpecial Features:
- Fabulous authentic Italian!erikarlDined on 4/19/2014We spent 2 weeks in Northern Italy last summer and the food here is at least as good if not better than most of the meals we had there! The owner greeted us warmly, service was perfect, bread hot and delicious- even the olive oil served with bread was excellent. Lovely complimentary bruschetta. Beef carpaccio was fabulous. Seafood pasta fresh and very tasty. Veal Marsala delicate and tender, delicious gratinated potatoes. Cocktails great and reasonable. We stayed at the Westin across the street and HIGHLY recommend this over the (other Italian) restaurant in Westin. Classy modern design, impeccably clean, nice low lighting, plenty of room to stretch out... You can't miss at Il Forno!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quite and tastyeat4funDined on 4/14/2014Our meals were delicious and well presented. The service staff were pleasant. Only down side was parking. The parking structure immediately adjacent that touts "restaurant parking" is not for Il Forno so parking was nearly as expensive as a meal! They told us after the meal that they validate for the parking that is behind the restaurant, not off of Glebe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening!TerriVIPDined on 4/11/20145 ladies on the loose in Washington DC really lucked into this place! Great menu. Waiter was terrific and customized appetizer and salad platters for the table so we could sample a variety (and didn't charge us an arm and a leg for it either). He didn't bat an eye when we ordered different courses all out of order. The wine list was very Italian and he guided us to terrific values that we really enjoyed. Some of the online info emphasized their pizzas, but the chef has changed direction and the pizzas are not the centerpiece. They have some but don't go thinking this is a pizzeria. It is a wonderful Italian place with a fresh, light touch. FANTASTIC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's REALLY ItalianLizGVIPDined on 4/2/2014From the Maitre d, to the pizza oven, to the menu this restaurant is authentic Italian. We love it. The bar is inviting and comfortable and the dinner is oh-so-enjoyable. I arrived early to wait for my two dinner companions and was treated like a friend from the moment I stepped in the door. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants to feel special...and like they stepped into Italy for just a couple of hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerbreakfastloverVIPDined on 4/1/2014Great find in Ballston. Picked it randomly because of location. Everything was great.Special Features:
- New Local Fave!LuvLocalDined on 3/22/2014Delightful first experience! The food was both beautiful and delicioso!!! The manager, Piero, made us feel like we were on vacation in one of our favorite locales in the world ... Bella Italia. Our server, Tarik, was wonderful. He gave us suggestions for food & wine ... all were spot-on. We can't wait to return for another wonderful meal. :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemWinegirl512Dined on 3/22/2014Our first visit was very fun. Our server, Antonio was very solicitous and helpful when it came to menu suggestions and wine selections. We enjoyed the lamb chops, pizza and Caesar salad. Also, it was very nice to have the water served without ice. It was not very crowded, and I will say the food is better than expected! A very welcome, pleasant surprise!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerJRHJDined on 3/17/2014The pizza prepared in the old oven was excellent. I highly recommend the Gorgonzola salad dressing. The pineapple shaving dessert was like nothing I had ever had. It was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good find in BallstonSteveDined on 3/15/2014Good Italian Restaurant in Ballston. Away from the younger crowds in Clarendon. The menu was fairly broad with a lot of choices, including pizza. The restaurant is not a pizza joint, however. Very nice, modern decor with huge windows. Food was very good. Service was a little slow. Not sure why because it wasn't very crowded when we were there. Fortunately we weren't in any hurry and the wait didn't bother us too much. First cappuccino came out luke warm but the second one was nice and hot.Special Features:
- ReunionLDA173Dined on 2/28/2014Met here with some friends after a long time apart. The food was good, the prices reasonable and the service perfect. There was lots of catching up and long stories between everyone at the table and the waiters never rushed us and bent over backwards to make everything perfect.Special Features:
- Nice new addition to Ballston areaSpaGirl54VIPDined on 2/27/2014Il Forno is in a good location near Ballston with parking underneath the building. The quality of the italian food is very good. enjoySpecial Features:
- Wonderful!DekiruDined on 2/17/2014Second time here... I'll be back! Great dining experience. Exceptional ambiance, prompt and courteous service, and the waiter provided a good recommendation for our wine. The place is very clean, with a nice window view of the neighborhood, or you can select a quiet corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great business lunch locationOldTown05Dined on 1/16/2014Service was spot on. They didn't hover or overly service the table. We are able to talk and then enjoy our lunch.Special Features:
- Crisp new italian place to exploreOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/8/2014My 9th visit here in as many weeks - mostly personal and friends/family but this time I was with an ex-colleague. We enjoyed the dishes and service. We had a window table and got great service. New Manager has done a good job of adding new and fresh menu items - exciting. They have a few specials in the past that I really liked ... one stands out, I don't know what it's called... but it's shaved pineapples, with balsamic reduction with raspberry and sorbet inside of a crisp eatable cup... it's just out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgotten aboutPennu1Dined on 11/30/2013Once a big party showed up at a table near us our server forgot we existed. Had to ask another server to get the bill. She told the manager who told our server. Fifty cent tip was the result. No comment by the manager to us about this.Special Features: