713A 8th Ave
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://ilfornonyc.com/
- Phone: 2122471978
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Sarah Pouzar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Il Forno
iL Forno Italian Kitchen is a Hell"s Kitchen gem. Bringing modern Italian to a whole new level. Everything that comes from our kitchen is prepared from scratch with the utmost care by Executive Chef Sarah Pouzar. So whether you stop in for a glass of wine and one of our artisan pizzas, or a full and rich Italian supper, iL Forno will take care of you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Forno reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (7)good for groups (6)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (5)great for outdoor dining (4)romantic (4)special occasion (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- broadway district findmaggieDined on 8/30/2014quaint, italy-like bistro ambiance with wonderful food and great service. will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- mgs7540VIPDined on 8/27/2014The food was good, but the bread was stale. The staff was accommodating and apologetic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the olive dinner rolls!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/6/2014Food was good. Service was friendly. Great spot to eat before the theater. But I must say, more than anything, I loved the olive rolls!Special Features:
- Not the Best..not the Worstmcollins0920Dined on 8/2/2014IlForno didn't meet our expectations as hoped for. The food was average, tasty, but nothing spectacular. The thing that bothered me the most was our waitress. She was very inattentive and not very knowledgeable about the menu. If you need a sub par meal in a hurry then I would recommend IlForno. .otherwise there are many other great restaurants to visit while in NY.
- Creative Food PreparationFlorenceVIPDined on 8/2/2014Not an extensive menu, but the foods are very creatively prepared. The pesto sauce with asparagus for the fuscilli was excellent, as was the thin crust brick oven pizza.Special Features:
- It was OKOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/23/2014The food & atmosphere was good. Went there for a meal before a broadway show. But the service was not so good....
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014The place is charming....and the food was delicious. The perfect pizza, a little different, not your average pizza.... the staff was very friendly and very attentive. gets very crowded...need a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accommodating!partyof5Dined on 7/1/2014We were late and the restaurant staff made sure we were in and out and able to make it to our show. Food was good and the atmosphere was lively.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bustling RestaurantManhattaniteVIPDined on 6/30/2014Definitely a vibrant restaurant scene in Times Square. We were probably the only native New Yorker among tourists in the place for dinner. We both ordered the prix-fixe dinner which was excellent. Caesar salad & mushroom risotto were delicious. They ran out of the peach tart, but offered any dessert replacement. The NY cheese cake was fine, but not amazing. The maitre'd, waiter and wait staff were all great. I loved the decor...sort of tromphe l'oeil including 2 ancient-style chandliers. Restaurant was full on a Monday, with only an occasional wait line. Definitely will come again. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great findGreatfindtodineDined on 6/29/2014Il Forno's had a limited menu, but everything we had was better then good, even the house wine. Restaurant was right in the center of all the action and we loved the decor. The only negative was when it got really busy, the waiter had trouble keeping up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok Food, Disappointing ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/2014The menu here is pretty limited but the selections are pretty good and the prices are fair. The service was pretty fast when we sat down, but the waitress took forever (20 minutes) to bring the check when we asked for it. We had to ask 3 times. We also watched one guy seated at the table next to us wait for 30 minutes for someone to take his order; he left and no one else noticed.Special Features:
- Good...IloveNYCDined on 6/8/2014Went with my husband and I had the Black Label pizza which was very good. However, what really blew me away, was the roasted brussel sprouts. I could have eaten a plate of those for dinner. Husband had the chicken. Said it was too spicy and dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great after show dinnerChrisDined on 5/31/2014We were shown right to our table by friendly staff. Food was very good but skimpy on the portions for the price paid. Food served quickly and hot. We had a very nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 32 reviews are from the Il Forno reviews archive.
- UnexpectedSelinaKDined on 5/18/2014We read positive reviews about it, even we didn't expect too much (few choice of pizza for exemple) it was a really surprise! Pizzas were great, the staff nice and smily and the price reasonable! As we stayed in the neighborhood we went back twice! A good place to eat :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brick oven yummyirmaDined on 5/4/2014Great location for pre or post theatre dining, nice space, with good service, and yummy brick oven pizzas made to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TamboNYCDined on 5/3/2014Service was not good from the phone call to let them know I was running 10 mins late, staff were rude and waiters inattentive. Portions are very small and prices high
- In the weedsLocalFoodieVIPDined on 5/2/2014I LOVE the food at Il Forno. However, the last two times I have visited my order has been completely forgotten, as in, the waiter forgot to put it in the system. The food is so good that it's tempting to give il Forno a pass. But twice in a row? Just a little extra tweak in the service department should do the trick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodkp736Dined on 4/26/2014We went here for dinner on a Saturday night and they had a table open on short notice. Fairly casual interior with nice ambiance. Wild mushroom risotto was excellent and the prosciutto pizza was also very good. Carrot cake for dessert was nothing special. They seemed understaffed and the service was a little off all night: salad came before the bottle of wine arrived, and then the main course came before we were done with the salad, but then we sat around for 20 minutes waiting for the underwhelming carrot cake. We would come back for the food, but maybe not on a busy Saturday night.Special Features:
- Inexpensive theater findRondolaDined on 4/18/2014Great little neighborhood Italian restaurant. Wonderful pasta and right in the theater district. Terrific prix-fix option for $26. Restaurant a little crowded, a little loud, but nothing unmanageable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place to go before a showOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/16/2014Great food, superior service and the place to go before a show. But use OPEN TABLE--reservations are needed on most nights especially 90 minutes before show time. NYers and tourists all seem to love Il Forno. Most folks order the flat breads or pastas. I prefer their salmon dishes and the mushroom risotto. Limited but fine selection of wines by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Eating ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/12/2014This restaurant is convenient to the theater district with a very pleasant atmosphere. Outdoor dining is available. I had the soup of the day which was Italian Wedding Soup and quite delicious. For a main course I had the Papardelle which was also very good. They also have a selection of 3-course lunches which are a very good value. Although we didn't have the pizza, we could smell it from the table next to us and it almost made me sorry I didn't order it. Maybe next time. The only slip up was that we had made a reservation with Open Table but they had no record of it. When we got there, it didn't seem to matter because we were the only ones there, but within 15 minutes, the place was packed.Special Features:
- Theatre district findjuchegoesDined on 4/9/2014Srprisingly good simple food within the theatre district. Freshly made pasta sauce; excellent pizza.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for before or after theaterTF1204Dined on 4/5/2014Great location. A bit noisy, but it's the theatre district and on a Saturday between the matinee and evening shows, that's what you're going to find. Reasonable prices, good service. Food was terrific. I had the prix fixe but the waitress forgot to bring my dessert. Although, I forgot to ask! Definitely a good choice if you're in the theater district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fast and friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2014Great food, fast and friendly service. Great pre-theater choice!Special Features:
- Very attentive, friendly service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2014Very attentive, friendly service. It's a "grown-up" restaurant, but the food is appealing to kids without offer the boring chicken finger or burger options at so many other places.Special Features:
- Attentive staff, very goodSusieDined on 3/29/2014Attentive staff, very good food, reasonably priced with the prix fixe a very good value., restaurant is small and noisy. A good choice pretheaterSpecial Features:
- no reason to returnOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/2014Risotto was good, service friendly. Way too noisy. Nothing notable on the menu. No compelling reason to return.
- wonderful wine and food pairingcindyDined on 3/11/2014While I am NOT a fan of goat cheese and a lot of the entres included it, other food choices were very well presented, tasted wonderful and good wine pairing choices by the server. Lovely experience . Have been there twice and would make it my restaurant of choice when going to the theater. Enjoy the price fix option as well( less with goat cheese please!!!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoyed this restaurant.DeirdraDined on 3/8/2014I enjoyed this restaurant. It was quite busy before theater goers left and it Emptied out and quieted down. I had pizza, very tasty. My friend had the pasta, she said it was very good. They have a nice wine selection. The staff wad very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad choiceSmall4bitesDined on 2/28/2014The good was mediocre at best. No healthy options. Vegetables not tecognizable and not edible. The prices outrageous. Italian restaurant that didn't know how to make expresso drink. I was so disappointed as a pre-theatre choice.
- Do not go to this resturantFoodie87Dined on 12/30/2013The food was luke warm and took for ever to make. Our waitress didn't come over for about 10 minutes and when she finally came it was only once to take our order and we didn't see her after that. We didn't have water or any drinks for pretty much the whole meal. The food again was bland and terrible. I would not feed this food to my dog it was that bad.
- Food and service good. ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/28/2013Food and service good. Excellent for pre theatre meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I hate it.Luv2travelDined on 12/24/2013Poor service, few options, too spicy for a italian food.
- Good place but they had some issuesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/15/2013No high chair for my fifteen month old daughter. They were helpful even with that issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodpaulaVIPDined on 12/13/2013the food was very good and the menu was a bit different. the only negative is the restaurant is small and it is a bit tight getting in and out. I would go back as the food was very good as was the service. it is a great neighborhood restaurant with reasonable prcesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/5/2013We were staying across the street and wanted a close, convenient restaurant. Il Forno fit the bill. The food was excellent and service was good. The food was served in a relatively short time. The only complaint would be that the Caesar Salad was basically just lettuce with a very limited amount of dressing. The arugula salad was outstanding. All-in-all, a very nice dinner.Special Features:
- simple but extraordinarily tastyoutstandingVIPDined on 11/29/2013had the black garlic sauce penne with chicken and it was outstanding. simple menu but terrific kitchen. the pizettas were dry. a free glass of wine means a free glass of any wine on the by the glass menu - not just the house wine. for a pre or after theater meal, Il Forno is a great findI would recommend this to a friend.
- YikesCityMan124VIPDined on 11/25/2013I chose this restaurant based on positive reviews, but this was a truly awful dining experience. They were out of half of the items on the menu, including certain wines. The techno-remixes that were blaring belied the convivial Italian attitude they were trying to convey. The food was poor at best. The only thing going for this place was that it was in a convenient location. That's not nearly enough to get me to go back here.
- needs balance and scopebkkdineDined on 11/24/2013First of all, the food was great. Not big selection, but everything we had was very good. What was lacking was what they DID NOT have---cappuccino, expresso ( they were out of expresso beans at 7 pm?), decaf coffee, frangelica---basics for an Italian restaurant. The service was spotty--3 of us got soup, and we each had to ask for a soup spoon--the server went back each time to get one instead of bringing 3. The bread came when the meal was over. It was a very cold, windy evening and they do not have a screen/shelter between the front door and the tables, so each time someone came in or out, we felt a blast of cold air--and we were towards the center of the restaurant. Its a great location for the theatre crowd.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for right before theatreMeliDined on 11/23/2013Great dinner for right before theatre. We had a group of 11 with 4 kids and they couldn't be more accommodating. Service was very friendly. Dinner came out fast and it was delicious. Make sure you save time for the cheesecake. It is some of the best kept secret in the city.Special Features: