Il Fornello on King
214 King St. West
Toronto, ON M5H 3S6Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
ItalianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Il Fornello on King
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornello.com/
- Phone: 4169772855
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 4:00 pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm, Sunday: 4:30 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Ryan Kowalyk
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Il Fornello on King
Located in the very heart of the entertainment District, Il FORNELLO is directly across the street from Roy Thompson Hall and just steps from both the Princes of Wales and Royal Alexander Theatre. It's the perfect spot for pre-theatre dinning and is also close to The Rogers Centre.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornello on King reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (42)special occasion (37)great for lunch (30)neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (18)kid-friendly (15)notable wine list (12)romantic (7)late-night find (5)hot spot (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- First time disappointedFirstdisapointmentDined on 8/21/2014Ordered steak medium rare but it came medium well. Our waiter was great to try and make me happy. Bought me desert and discounted meal. Been here many times...first time I am disappointed with my meal. Also, the last two times, there was a funky smell when you walk in. Could be parmesan cheese but it smells worse then that. You have to fix this cause it's a real turn off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great design but poor food.ksdsDined on 8/21/2014The restaurant had a very nicely designed interior and feel to it. However, the food was not very good. I had the grilled calamari and it was practically tasteless. My friend had a pear and gorgonzola pizza which was tasty but it was served burnt.
- Summer LunchVanessaDined on 8/15/2014Went during the Summer Prix Fixe menu offering. The food was fantastic and the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GF PizzaGFfriendlyDined on 8/12/2014Il Fornello has great options for people with a gluten/nut allergy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alleyDined on 8/5/2014I had great linguine, 3 others enjoved their pizzas and beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunctionalEatoutalotDined on 7/22/2014Took the family before a Jays' game and it was fine. Food was passable but not notable. One had the Summerlicious menu. Others didn't. Service was okay but not exceptional. If you need a quick meal before something it works ....
- Odd smell in foyer, pizzas are goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014Menu looks good, but an average italian restaurant. No homemade pasta or bread, pizzas were tasty. Service was quick.Special Features:
- Sal30Dined on 6/21/2014The quality of food continues to be outstanding, and I think that is mainly what keeps me coming back. If I am dining downtown, noon or evening, it is the first restaurant I consider. The chicken asiago entree I had was excellent - tops. Our waiter was also excellent, serving us well in a very busy situation, including excellent handling of separate checks at our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food with a flareluvtorDined on 6/21/2014We have been going to IlFornellos for years and now that we live in London, Ontario look forward to dining on our trips back to Toronto - food is always great and the staff serves with pride! Seasonings are delicate and memorable always prepared with perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- niceexperienceDined on 6/20/2014Timely service for our dinner as we were going to a concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect before theatre diningGronkDined on 6/20/2014If you're headed for the theatre on King St., this is the perfect dining experience. The food is consistently good. Staff are aware of the need of patrons who have limited time and are friendly and efficient. My cocktail was made to my liking - less sweet. The salads were huge and pasta was yummy.Special Features:
- Great Pre-Theatre DiningHappyDinerDined on 6/20/2014We were here before a TSO concert. Only complaint was that the gentleman at the front desk tried to give us a table beside the cash/service table (maybe because there were 2 women?) but when we asked for another, we were seated at a better located table immediately. It's crowded but that is what you expect pre-theatre. Food and service here are consistently good. Had the daily feature of spaghetti with asparagus and smoked salmon which was delicious as was the grilled calamari for an appetizer. Love going here and will go again.Special Features:
- Service poor, not going back.JuleDined on 6/20/2014I was not impressed by the service at this restaurant. While the food was good, it is simply not enough to have me return to the restaurant.
- Service was averageLuv2dineDined on 6/19/2014The good was good and service was average. Server did okay just not at the level that you would expect of this restaurant based on previous reviews and quality of food.Special Features:
- Washrooms need helpOutandaboutDined on 6/14/2014Everything was great, food, service etc. The washrooms however, were very dingy, not what one would expect after looking at the dining room. Way nicer washrooms at East Side Mario'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceDinewithmeDined on 6/14/2014Went there right before a show at the princess of Wales theater. We let the staff know and we were able to get in and out of the restaurant within the hour, without compromising service or food quality. Gnocchi was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fanatastic serverFredDined on 6/14/2014We were a group and there were food allergies, vegetarians and kids among us. The server was fantastic with splitting orders and remembering who split what order - especially since we ended up playing musical chairs! We chose Il Fornello because it catered to everyone's tastes in the group, but the server made it the best choice yet.Special Features:
- Always reliablewonkykneesDined on 6/11/2014Il Fornello on King offers good food, service and an adequate wine selection all at reasonable prices and a short walk from Roy Thompson Hall and theatres. Never startling. Rarely disappointing. Always reliable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceSukieDined on 6/6/2014The staff were very helpful and friendly, the food was delicious and we really appreciated the gluten free menu options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodTimdDined on 6/6/2014I have been to this location a few times and the food is always good. It is not the outstanding of Terroni or Mercatto, but quite good. This time the service was excellent, attentive and pleasant. I will be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fast and easyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/6/2014We arrived late due to traffic and were concerned that we could finish dinner and still get to the theatre on time to see the Lion King. Our server brought our food out within 5 minutes and the pressure was immediately off. The pastas were excellent.Special Features:
- Very busy, but food reliablesusgerDined on 6/6/2014Handy location for entertainment district, but very busy and noisy pre-theatre. Reliable casual Italian standards, especially good Pizza. Service attentive. Alcohol mediocre and over-priced.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jared was perfect!weloveTO2Dined on 6/6/2014Loved loved loved it here. So close to our venue. Employees were quick attentative and experienced. We had apps, dinner dessert and drinks!! Thank you for a great time Jared!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceHappyplaceDined on 6/5/2014Had dinner before going to Roy Thomson Hall. Food was excellent, location excellent. It was a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceAlwaysluv2dineDined on 6/4/2014Quite enjoyable...ambiance was nice...server was very good...enjoyable time...will go backSpecial Features:
- Great food, but not fine diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014The food was great, but we were disappointed that we had paper napkins instead of linen and we had to keep our cutlery from our appetizers for our main courses, it made it seem like it was not a fine dining restaurant because of this
- FantasticdebgolfsDined on 6/2/2014We arrived to a packed restaurant because of an event at Roy Thomson Hall, but this did not deter the experience. Our server was awesome, food arrived hot & we got out of there on time to enjoy our event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/29/2014Great food great service. Noisy, but still able to carry a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Ideal Location for Theatre-goersBaronetDined on 5/25/2014Both the serving and kitchen staff are trained to meet the needs of theatre-goers and persons attending events at Roy Thomson Hall.Special Features:
- Well donemichelinVIPDined on 5/24/2014Waitress was outstanding and the food was good. Got us out in good time fit the T SOSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- theatre diningjaneyDined on 5/23/2014We enjoyed dinner before the theatre on Friday night but were very happy we had reserved a table. The restaurant was very noisy, hard to have a quiet conversation but the food was good and the service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very reliable eating choiceSal30Dined on 5/23/2014Excellent as usual - been there many times. The only reason I did not rate the food outstanding was that the calamari in the linguini di mare was exceptionally tough. We had one of the best waiters I have had there: he was friendly, smiling, without overdoing it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/21/2014We dine @ Il Fornello everytime we attend a concert @ RTH. The location is perfect, & we can make a reservation . We enjoy the food & the wine list. The only complaint is the stairs to get in as we have my 87 yr old mother with us. I doubt there is anything you can do about this, but since the restaurant is patronized by many theatre & concert goers, who tend to be older, perhaps better accessibiliy could be explored.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch and a MatineeMiltonAnnieDined on 5/21/2014I am so glad we reserved....I picked Il Fornello mostly on location...just a few steps to the theatre. It was Wednesday, matinee day....the restaurant was packed but our table was ready. Service was great..we both had a caesar salad with grilled salmon. Service was excellent. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Good foodMurrayflanDined on 5/16/2014The food here is good but not great. Chicken Parm was very good. Veal Marsala was tough and plain. Service was ok but ambiance was basic. Paper tablecloths and paper napkins seemed a little cheesey.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstanding!mcleianhDined on 5/16/2014I usually dine at Il Fornello before going to the theatre in the evening and, without exception, the restaurant never lets me down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceMarcoleDined on 5/16/2014We were a party of six and we had a great dining experience...from the seating to the food to the exceptional and friendly service...we couldn't ask for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceLoveItalianfoodDined on 5/15/2014I've used Il Fornello for a group event and I brought my daughter here today for her birthday. Excellent food and service. Loud crowd but everyone seems to be enjoying themselves regardless. The food is worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HOTtatsDined on 5/14/2014For the first time we were in the back dining room. Service staff was awesome but the room was CRAZY HOT! My favorite pasta (the funghi) has been taken off the menu which made me sad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulPreTheatreMealDined on 5/14/2014We had a wonderful dinner and our server was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.