Il Fornello on King
214 King St. West
Toronto, ON M5H 3S6Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
ItalianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Il Fornello on King
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornello.com/
- Phone: 4169772855
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 4:00 pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm, Sunday: 4:30 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Ryan Kowalyk
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Il Fornello on King
Located in the very heart of the entertainment District, Il FORNELLO is directly across the street from Roy Thompson Hall and just steps from both the Princes of Wales and Royal Alexander Theatre. It's the perfect spot for pre-theatre dinning and is also close to The Rogers Centre.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornello on King reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (46)fit for foodies (34)great for lunch (30)special occasion (29)neighborhood gem (24)notable wine list (13)kid-friendly (12)hot spot (8)great for brunch (6)romantic (6)late-night find (2)Show More
- Great before a show!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014We chose Il Fornello because we were going to see a show at The Princess of Wales. Our dinner was served quickly and it was delicious. They also have a large selection for my Daughter who must eat gluten free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early Sunday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Fully enjoyed our meals. Our food was served quickly and tasted very good. My Fettuccine Alfredo with chicken was the best I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TawnyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Awesome food, wonderful service & great atmosphere. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going to the theatreTonbridgeDined on 10/17/2014A good sized restaurant that caters to theatre goes. When I asked if we would be out in time for the theatre the waitress said " the whole restaurant is going to the theatres". The food was okay but the whole place was so noisy you could barely hear above the din. We were out in plenty of time. I wouldn't go there again.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014From the plastic take out style butter packages, to the rough (and LOUD) waitress, to the extremely over-garlicy entree, I would not recommend nor return to this restaurant.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2014excellent traditional Italian food, cooked fresh/to order. service is efficient and personal; good teamwork. noise level, conversation, is high, but ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does what says on the tinBritfoodieDined on 10/15/2014Efficient and friendly. Pizzas are good and starters ok. Wine options pretty limited.Special Features:
- Outstanding service and foodlovegoodfoodDined on 10/15/2014We had come for lunch prior to going to the nearby concert, because the location was so convenient. Our waiter was absolutely tops - fast, friendly, efficient. And the food was tops as well. Delicious! We would come back just for the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/14/2014Ou dinner on Tues evening was excellent. The noise level was quite high, higher than we would like. I have requested seating in the back room when I do my on-line res, but haven't been seated there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetoeatoutDined on 10/14/2014Had a wonderful waiter, were seated promptly. food came in a timely manner.I had pasta in meat sauce. the portion was small and it kept repeating on me all night which made me wonder if the meat was all that fresh. My friend had the salmon and she enjoyed her dish very much and it looked very fresh. It is better on King then at Bayview Village where the menu has been reduced in selection choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful as always!BryandinesDined on 10/11/2014I always enjoy Il Fornello, and have eaten in most if not all of its branches. This location (King St West) is perfect for before-theatre dining, and that is why I was there recently. I almost always have the same thing: the pollo pesto on pasta, though their other chicken dishes, such as chicken asiago, are also excellent. A delightful pino grigio accompanied this meal, and a small salad served as an appetizer. This was more than enough food, and my guest ordered similarly, not even having a salad. All in all it was a pleasant start to our evening, and I will certainly eat there again in future.Special Features:
- Great for before the theatreSusabenDined on 10/11/2014The waitress asked if we were going to a play in order to ensure that our food arrived on time without our feeling rushed. Service was prompt and staff was pleasant. Our meals were delicious. Prices are reasonable for the Entertainment District. I would highly recommend Il Fornello.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our experience thoroughlymmlTOisgreatDined on 10/3/2014Warmly welcomed. Server was friendly, prompt, engaging and knowledgeable. His wine recommendation was dead on. Accessible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- none of the above would applysusyDined on 10/2/2014this restaurantexperience was totally unsatisfactory. Noisy, rushed and food too spicy and unappealingSpecial Features:
- NotAFoodieVIPDined on 10/2/2014Food very mediocre. Not impressed at all with the server. Didn't know the difference between a walnut and pecan, and not willing to accept any guidance even though it clearly said pecans on the menu.
- Surprisingly bad foodoutinthecityDined on 10/2/2014I was recently at this restaurant and was very disappointed by rhe quality of the food. I sent the appetizer back and my pasta with sausage tasted mediocre at best. My other half felt the same way about the food. It lacked flavor or was just bad. When you go out to eat, you want to eat something that is better than what you can make at home. This was not the case. The restaurant chefs need to make a dramatic improvement to the quality of food beong served there.
- CrobDined on 9/27/2014Typical chain restaurant. Food was average, service friendly, ambience so so. Would go back as the price was right.Special Features:
- Great experience!diningtogetherDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I visited the restaurant before seeing a show at the Princess of Wales theatre. Service was very friendly, food and drinks arrived quickly and everything we had was delicious! Ambience was just what we were looking for. Wonderful and filling choice before seeing a show! We will return again when visiting Toronto and will suggest this restaurant to our friends and family. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stay away from the back room!LocalSocializerDined on 9/26/2014I've been to the King location several times and the food is reliable good - the features specials were particularly good this last visit... Our only problem was the seating - they have opened up 'back room' beside the bathrooms that few like a basement makeover and it horrible... The rest of my party arrived before me and were already seated so I was quite surprised to walk past many empty tables in the main dining room (which is quite lovely) to squeeze into the jam packed basement-feeling back room - and it affected our experience for sure... And we had a reservation so this was not a walk-in... We will likely go back but all future reservations will definitely specify 'main dining room'!
- Pre-show dinnermayner3Dined on 9/26/2014Great, reliable and fresh food. Perfect spot before the theatre. The Royal Alex is right next door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- donlaw315Dined on 9/26/2014After an expensive meal - a no complementary soft drink refill policy cheapened the experience. I won't come back.Special Features:
- A good time...hard2pleezDined on 9/25/2014Thank heavens we reserved as the handy downtown location is busy busy. Perfect for Roy Thompson Hall subscribers. At first I was chagrined to be put at a walkway, bar-side location by the hostess...this should not happen for people who reserved, especially as there was an empty table next door. Our waitress (A plus) moved us quickly and then proceeded to make our evening a lot of fun. She was humorous and professionally attentive without intruding. Wine, salads and entrees (all delicious by the way)were whisked to and from our table. We liked the happy, noisy, buzzing ambiance of the room. You feel the pulse of a great city and this kick-started a great evening. Food company wine and music? Life is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It used to be really goodLovingfoodVIPDined on 9/25/2014Il Fornello has gone down hill over the years. The food is still good but the space needs a major update. When we walked in on Friday, there was a very foul smell in the air....like rotten olives. Not a nice smell to have over lunch...especially with a client.Special Features:
- Pre theatre dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Service was fast so no problem getting to the theatre on time.Special Features:
- I think we expected something more.WineAndDineDined on 9/23/2014The service was OUTSTANDING. Our server was prompt, friendly and efficient. The food however was bland despite it's beautiful presentation. Fresh and flavorful ingredients go a long way and sadly was exactly what our Pesce and Lamb Shank lacked. We ran up a $200 dollar bill and had a great evening but with other great restaurants nearby I don't think we will return.Special Features:
- Slow-Cooked Food Served Quickly!MrMarkMemphisDined on 9/23/2014In the heart of the theatre district, this restaurant is the perfect choice for pre-theatre dining. Our waitress was all over need for speed and was extremely attentive (filling water glasses, refilling wine glasses, bringing the bill, etc.). We had chicken parm and asiago stuffed chicken and both were exquisite. They both tasted like they had been slowly baked. Delicious. The sides were fresh and hot. We shared a charcuterie board. Again, very nice and right-sized as it turned out. Tables were a bit close together, but that's my only complaint. Il Fornello on King is now is my permanent pre-threatre dinner auto-choice.Special Features:
- eightfromhamiltonDined on 9/20/2014We had a very friendly good server. We were a table of 8 and everyone raved about their dinner. DeliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for pre-theatre dinnerQuinby44Dined on 9/20/2014There was 8 of us for dinner and everyone left very satisfied with food and the service. The server was great!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014My husband and I brought our mothers here for dinner before seeing Wicked for their birthdays. It was just perfect for the occasion. The service was amazing and the food from start to finish was enjoyed by all four of us. We all ordered very different meals and everyone enjoyed the food. The atmosphere was lively and fun; we will certainly be back!Special Features:
- SteverDined on 9/19/2014Good food at decent prices. Have rarely been disappointed. Service was pretty good considering how busy the place was. King street location was a little loud, but the place was fullSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeptemberStinkyDined on 9/18/2014Love this place - always predictable food (GOOD) and service is really very good. ONLY ISSUE...odd smell in the building I think - not just the restaurant and unfortunately, the day my colleagues and I chose to entertain a Broker and client the smell was particularly strong and the staff were trying to perform some repair to the pipes almost directly at the entrance to the table settings. I think they actually recognized the restaurant was becoming busier and thankfully ceased all the banging. Can't wait for the smell to be gone - that said, I can manage it because the food and service are stellar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blandsandy1Dined on 9/16/2014The sauce was very bland - we had chicken marinara, pasta and seafood pasta. The pizza was also not spicy enough. From previous visits (not in a while) I remember the sauce as chunkier and more vibrant and what we had tasted like it came out of a can. SorrySpecial Features:
- average fooddowntownerDined on 9/15/2014good for non-discerning groups who need a place for lunch. OK pizza and pasta, but nothing special. Decent service.Special Features:
- First time disappointedFirstdisapointmentDined on 8/21/2014Ordered steak medium rare but it came medium well. Our waiter was great to try and make me happy. Bought me desert and discounted meal. Been here many times...first time I am disappointed with my meal. Also, the last two times, there was a funky smell when you walk in. Could be parmesan cheese but it smells worse then that. You have to fix this cause it's a real turn off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great design but poor food.ksdsDined on 8/21/2014The restaurant had a very nicely designed interior and feel to it. However, the food was not very good. I had the grilled calamari and it was practically tasteless. My friend had a pear and gorgonzola pizza which was tasty but it was served burnt.
- Summer LunchVanessaDined on 8/15/2014Went during the Summer Prix Fixe menu offering. The food was fantastic and the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GF PizzaGFfriendlyDined on 8/12/2014Il Fornello has great options for people with a gluten/nut allergy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alleyDined on 8/5/2014I had great linguine, 3 others enjoved their pizzas and beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunctionalEatoutalotDined on 7/22/2014Took the family before a Jays' game and it was fine. Food was passable but not notable. One had the Summerlicious menu. Others didn't. Service was okay but not exceptional. If you need a quick meal before something it works ....
- The following 1019 reviews are from the Il Fornello on King reviews archive.
- Odd smell in foyer, pizzas are goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014Menu looks good, but an average italian restaurant. No homemade pasta or bread, pizzas were tasty. Service was quick.Special Features: