Il Fornello on King
214 King St. West
Toronto, ON M5H 3S6Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
ItalianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Il Fornello on King
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornello.com/
- Phone: (416) 977-2855
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 4:00 pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm, Sunday: 4:30 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Ryan Kowalyk
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Il Fornello on King
Located in the very heart of the entertainment District, Il FORNELLO is directly across the street from Roy Thompson Hall and just steps from both the Princes of Wales and Royal Alexander Theatre. It's the perfect spot for pre-theatre dinning and is also close to The Rogers Centre.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornello on King reviews from OpenTable diners
203 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (85)fit for foodies (52)special occasion (48)great for lunch (48)neighborhood gem (44)kid-friendly (20)notable wine list (18)hot spot (17)romantic (12)great for brunch (7)late-night find (5)scenic view (4)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/25/2014Good and fast service. Great for before the theatre. Food all came together and was nice and hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect spot for dinner before theatre or symphonyMusicDined on 11/22/2014Il Fornello is one of my favourite spots to catch dinner before theatre or the symphony. Fast and friendly service, consistently good food, reasonable pricing, they make sure they get you out in time for your show. It's noisy but not ridiculously so.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to theatresOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/20/2014If you are looking to be close to the theatre or are in a hurry, Il Fornello is a good choice. Good food, reasonable price and quick service. However it is very busy and at times frenetic so not a leisurely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for pre theatre dinnerMonaLisaDined on 11/19/2014this location is geared to meet the demands of theatre and concert goers, and they know how and when to move, but there is so much pressure and such a hectic pace that servers are running, but missing patron`s trying to catch their eye. Food is fresh and well prepared. Perfect place for a pizza and salad, so you won`t sleep through the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NONEDined on 11/18/2014Are you kidding?!?! It's not enough that i took the time to complete your survey but in order to submit my feedback i must submit a review at least 50 characters in length?! This field should not be mandatory!Special Features:
- Good for theatre crowd, business lunch and groupsmoandmavensDined on 11/16/2014Only complaint is slower than normal service. Have been there before and never had this problem prior. Normal Italian type cuisine. Like the pizzas. Great ice cream desertsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Pizza!TORONTOGALDined on 11/13/2014Had dinner with some friends at Il Fornello on King before a show. The pizza was excellent (the one with figs). My friend had Pasta and it was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Acceptable but not excitingJaneDined on 11/13/2014Three of us visited the restaurant for a 5:45 reservation on a Thursday with a 5:45pm reservation. The restaurant is well located for the King St. theatres. Our waitress came to our table with alomost no wait and brought us glasses of water and offered us drinks. We ordered a 1/2 litre of house wine which was quite acceptable for a quick meal. Two of us ordered the Penne Capri and one the Cannelloni Formaggio . The Penne contained a good number of small vegetables and plenty of chicken but lacked any depth of flavour. The sauce was watery and tasteless. Our friend said that the Cannelloni was bland and very heavy. We were disappointed with our meals and would rather have paid a little more to have a more flavourful meal.Special Features:
- Perfect pre-theatre spotMissDinesOutalotDined on 11/12/2014Excellent food. Quick and efficient service. A well-run restaurant that caters to the theatre crowd. Never felt rushed. Very accommodating when we called to say we were stuck in traffic. Seated immediately. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent and ReliablelillianDined on 11/12/2014We can always count on Il Fornello before the symphony or a play...good food and reliable service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mainstay of entertainment districtDonnasnumber1hostDined on 11/8/2014Welcome civil; not overly friendly. Requested window table but was one row away -- still OK but not close enough to gaze at theatre throngs. Still nice view of bright lights and streetcars. Speaking of lights, one was too bright, shining in from stairs outside and detracting from dinner enjoyment. Tables rather close together. Another patron removed his coat above our bread plate, dropping unknown small objects. Close encounters with server's behind as that table was taken care of. Server friendly, efficient, knowledgeable. Cocktails a bit slow in arriving while food plates arrived too fast. Impression they wanted us out. Food quite good but a bit too much oily sauce in the pasta. Also too much meat; should only be 25% of plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Il FornellotheatredinersdodinnerDined on 11/6/2014The service was fantastic! Very quick and accurate - the waitress was quite attentive. Upon entering, though, there was a horrendous smell - we almost turned around to leave! Stinky cheese perhaps? It dissipated as the meal went on, thankfully. A great experience overall, especially for those trying to catch a show.Special Features:
- Great Pre-Show DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014We enjoyed our dinner before the show at this restaurant. Service was fabulous and our food arrived very quickly. Our dishes were hot and very tasty.Special Features:
- Pretty good!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014Everything was excellent, but the waiter was a little too attentive. Felt a bit like hovering, but nothing to bother me or effect the tip. Pizza was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kimmydDined on 11/5/2014Food was delicious and the service was great. The perfect place to go before the theatre.....so close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food/serviceDowntownerDined on 11/5/2014We arrived the restaurant an hour early and they were fine and seated us right away. The server was nice but she could use a little bit more smile at the beginning until almost the end of our dinner my husband started to joke with her and she was a little relax. Dinner was good, food were very fresh and delicious. The glutin free pasta was very cooked perfectly.Special Features:
- DinnerKahoona5Dined on 11/5/2014Well organized service staff, our server especially was nice, knowledgeable and all around great. The Arctic char was terribly bland, tasted like a baseball glove the risotto was also tasteless
- Concert nightPartof9Dined on 11/1/2014We arrived early. About an hour before our reservation. They were kind enough to seat us since the restaurant was pretty empty at the time. Since our waitress had not started her shift it was harder than usual to get served drinks but eventually we got what we wanted. Once our party had arrived the restaurant was very busy. Our waitress did her best to serve us. The wine was excellent, the food also very good. The appetizer with crustini and raw beef was outstanding. There is always room for improvement for desserts in all restaurants. All in all, a very nice evening before going to Roy Thomson hall. I'll go to this restaurant again before a concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and great foodSueMDined on 11/1/2014perfect for pre or post theatre dining, service was quick but not rushedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulCIndyVIPDined on 10/29/2014Had a wonderful meal and great service before heading to the theatre. Portion sizes were perfect and everything way very fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kai4mckieDined on 10/29/2014Six of us ladies went to the theatre and to Il Fornello for an early dinner. Everything from the service to the food to the table was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long in the toothFun4allDined on 10/28/2014We have eaten here many times and each time the food gets worse. The pizza was dry,with little cheese and over cooked. The chicken tetrazzini had enough garlic for three people and the potatoes were inedible. This once fine restaurant has fallen a long way. We won't be back.
- fair at bestMrGoodcatDined on 10/26/2014Food was cold and the beer wasn't. The sound of the servers and bussers putting the dishes away at the wait station was deafening and made me jump each time it seemed they threw them in. Our server was polite but wasn't very helpful as far as suggestions. Chocolate cake for dessert was dry and boring. Not worth the $175 price tag for the 4 of us. Not the "after a show downtown" experience i had hoped for.Special Features:
- Ooooops, Bad choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Service in general was excellent, but unfortunately the culinary skills lack passion and quality. The Lamb shank was dry, I understand that shank have to be prepared before hand 24 hours prior to service, with this said. My product looked and taste like it was wrapped in plastic wrap upon storing, then left in the plastic throw into a micro wave the bone and meat clearly showed signs of micro wave use. Furthermore the meat was dry and tasted of age, stored longer the 72 hour period or has been frozen.
- Before TheatreDoodleDined on 10/25/2014My husband and I had tickets to the Princess of Wales theatre and wanted a place nearby to have dinner beforehand. Il Fornello fit the bill for us. Good food and great location. It was packed with people and there was a line up at the door, so clearly a popular spot. It was a bit noisy but otherwise a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We fell into a winner!JewelsDined on 10/24/2014My boyfriend and I had dinner at Il Fornello on King on Friday night, Oct 24th at 6:30. We had a very nice table by the window. We told our waitress, Kathleen, we had theater tickets & had to be out by a certain time. She was fantastic. Knowledgeable of the menu, very friendly, but still very professional. My salmon was terrific, my boyfriend said his chicken parmigian was pretty good, but the fabulous waitress & ambiance of the restaurant made it a really wonderful experience. I recommend this restaurant & I'd ask for Kathleen's section.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theatre dininghondagingeraleDined on 10/21/2014Great location and very good food. We had tickets for a performance down the street. The staff was respective of our time constraints but still provided a very pleasurable dining experience. We were given great menu advise and both thoroughly enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Great food! Took my team out to Il Fornello for lunch - everyone really enjoyed the food. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before a show!WuliNuChemDined on 10/19/2014We chose Il Fornello because we were going to see a show at The Princess of Wales. Our dinner was served quickly and it was delicious. They also have a large selection for my Daughter who must eat gluten free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early Sunday DinnerMormondinerDined on 10/19/2014Fully enjoyed our meals. Our food was served quickly and tasted very good. My Fettuccine Alfredo with chicken was the best I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TawnyLuv2eatDined on 10/19/2014Awesome food, wonderful service & great atmosphere. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going to the theatreTonbridgeDined on 10/17/2014A good sized restaurant that caters to theatre goes. When I asked if we would be out in time for the theatre the waitress said " the whole restaurant is going to the theatres". The food was okay but the whole place was so noisy you could barely hear above the din. We were out in plenty of time. I wouldn't go there again.
- DisappointingPaulNewmanDined on 10/17/2014From the plastic take out style butter packages, to the rough (and LOUD) waitress, to the extremely over-garlicy entree, I would not recommend nor return to this restaurant.
- twojaysDined on 10/16/2014excellent traditional Italian food, cooked fresh/to order. service is efficient and personal; good teamwork. noise level, conversation, is high, but ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does what says on the tinBritfoodieDined on 10/15/2014Efficient and friendly. Pizzas are good and starters ok. Wine options pretty limited.Special Features:
- Outstanding service and foodlovegoodfoodDined on 10/15/2014We had come for lunch prior to going to the nearby concert, because the location was so convenient. Our waiter was absolutely tops - fast, friendly, efficient. And the food was tops as well. Delicious! We would come back just for the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/14/2014Ou dinner on Tues evening was excellent. The noise level was quite high, higher than we would like. I have requested seating in the back room when I do my on-line res, but haven't been seated there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetoeatoutDined on 10/14/2014Had a wonderful waiter, were seated promptly. food came in a timely manner.I had pasta in meat sauce. the portion was small and it kept repeating on me all night which made me wonder if the meat was all that fresh. My friend had the salmon and she enjoyed her dish very much and it looked very fresh. It is better on King then at Bayview Village where the menu has been reduced in selection choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful as always!BryandinesDined on 10/11/2014I always enjoy Il Fornello, and have eaten in most if not all of its branches. This location (King St West) is perfect for before-theatre dining, and that is why I was there recently. I almost always have the same thing: the pollo pesto on pasta, though their other chicken dishes, such as chicken asiago, are also excellent. A delightful pino grigio accompanied this meal, and a small salad served as an appetizer. This was more than enough food, and my guest ordered similarly, not even having a salad. All in all it was a pleasant start to our evening, and I will certainly eat there again in future.Special Features:
- Great for before the theatreSusabenDined on 10/11/2014The waitress asked if we were going to a play in order to ensure that our food arrived on time without our feeling rushed. Service was prompt and staff was pleasant. Our meals were delicious. Prices are reasonable for the Entertainment District. I would highly recommend Il Fornello.Special Features: