Il Fornello on King
214 King St. West
Toronto, ON M5H 3S6Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
ItalianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Il Fornello on King
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornello.com/
- Phone: 4169772855
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 4:00 pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm, Sunday: 4:30 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Ryan Kowalyk
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Il Fornello on King
Located in the very heart of the entertainment District, Il FORNELLO is directly across the street from Roy Thompson Hall and just steps from both the Princes of Wales and Royal Alexander Theatre. It's the perfect spot for pre-theatre dinning and is also close to The Rogers Centre.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornello on King reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (38)great for lunch (29)special occasion (27)fit for foodies (24)neighborhood gem (24)kid-friendly (11)notable wine list (9)romantic (7)hot spot (7)great for brunch (5)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014Typical chain restaurant. Food was average, service friendly, ambience so so. Would go back as the price was right.Special Features:
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014My husband and I visited the restaurant before seeing a show at the Princess of Wales theatre. Service was very friendly, food and drinks arrived quickly and everything we had was delicious! Ambience was just what we were looking for. Wonderful and filling choice before seeing a show! We will return again when visiting Toronto and will suggest this restaurant to our friends and family. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stay away from the back room!LocalSocializerDined on 9/26/2014I've been to the King location several times and the food is reliable good - the features specials were particularly good this last visit... Our only problem was the seating - they have opened up 'back room' beside the bathrooms that few like a basement makeover and it horrible... The rest of my party arrived before me and were already seated so I was quite surprised to walk past many empty tables in the main dining room (which is quite lovely) to squeeze into the jam packed basement-feeling back room - and it affected our experience for sure... And we had a reservation so this was not a walk-in... We will likely go back but all future reservations will definitely specify 'main dining room'!
- Pre-show dinnermayner3Dined on 9/26/2014Great, reliable and fresh food. Perfect spot before the theatre. The Royal Alex is right next door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014After an expensive meal - a no complementary soft drink refill policy cheapened the experience. I won't come back.Special Features:
- It used to be really goodLovingfoodVIPDined on 9/25/2014Il Fornello has gone down hill over the years. The food is still good but the space needs a major update. When we walked in on Friday, there was a very foul smell in the air....like rotten olives. Not a nice smell to have over lunch...especially with a client.Special Features:
- Pre theatre dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Service was fast so no problem getting to the theatre on time.Special Features:
- I think we expected something more.WineAndDineDined on 9/23/2014The service was OUTSTANDING. Our server was prompt, friendly and efficient. The food however was bland despite it's beautiful presentation. Fresh and flavorful ingredients go a long way and sadly was exactly what our Pesce and Lamb Shank lacked. We ran up a $200 dollar bill and had a great evening but with other great restaurants nearby I don't think we will return.Special Features:
- Slow-Cooked Food Served Quickly!MrMarkMemphisDined on 9/23/2014In the heart of the theatre district, this restaurant is the perfect choice for pre-theatre dining. Our waitress was all over need for speed and was extremely attentive (filling water glasses, refilling wine glasses, bringing the bill, etc.). We had chicken parm and asiago stuffed chicken and both were exquisite. They both tasted like they had been slowly baked. Delicious. The sides were fresh and hot. We shared a charcuterie board. Again, very nice and right-sized as it turned out. Tables were a bit close together, but that's my only complaint. Il Fornello on King is now is my permanent pre-threatre dinner auto-choice.Special Features:
- eightfromhamiltonDined on 9/20/2014We had a very friendly good server. We were a table of 8 and everyone raved about their dinner. DeliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for pre-theatre dinnerQuinby44Dined on 9/20/2014There was 8 of us for dinner and everyone left very satisfied with food and the service. The server was great!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014My husband and I brought our mothers here for dinner before seeing Wicked for their birthdays. It was just perfect for the occasion. The service was amazing and the food from start to finish was enjoyed by all four of us. We all ordered very different meals and everyone enjoyed the food. The atmosphere was lively and fun; we will certainly be back!Special Features:
- SteverDined on 9/19/2014Good food at decent prices. Have rarely been disappointed. Service was pretty good considering how busy the place was. King street location was a little loud, but the place was fullSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeptemberStinkyDined on 9/18/2014Love this place - always predictable food (GOOD) and service is really very good. ONLY ISSUE...odd smell in the building I think - not just the restaurant and unfortunately, the day my colleagues and I chose to entertain a Broker and client the smell was particularly strong and the staff were trying to perform some repair to the pipes almost directly at the entrance to the table settings. I think they actually recognized the restaurant was becoming busier and thankfully ceased all the banging. Can't wait for the smell to be gone - that said, I can manage it because the food and service are stellar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blandsandy1Dined on 9/16/2014The sauce was very bland - we had chicken marinara, pasta and seafood pasta. The pizza was also not spicy enough. From previous visits (not in a while) I remember the sauce as chunkier and more vibrant and what we had tasted like it came out of a can. SorrySpecial Features:
- average fooddowntownerDined on 9/15/2014good for non-discerning groups who need a place for lunch. OK pizza and pasta, but nothing special. Decent service.Special Features:
- First time disappointedFirstdisapointmentDined on 8/21/2014Ordered steak medium rare but it came medium well. Our waiter was great to try and make me happy. Bought me desert and discounted meal. Been here many times...first time I am disappointed with my meal. Also, the last two times, there was a funky smell when you walk in. Could be parmesan cheese but it smells worse then that. You have to fix this cause it's a real turn off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great design but poor food.ksdsDined on 8/21/2014The restaurant had a very nicely designed interior and feel to it. However, the food was not very good. I had the grilled calamari and it was practically tasteless. My friend had a pear and gorgonzola pizza which was tasty but it was served burnt.
- Summer LunchVanessaDined on 8/15/2014Went during the Summer Prix Fixe menu offering. The food was fantastic and the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GF PizzaGFfriendlyDined on 8/12/2014Il Fornello has great options for people with a gluten/nut allergy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunctionalEatoutalotDined on 7/22/2014Took the family before a Jays' game and it was fine. Food was passable but not notable. One had the Summerlicious menu. Others didn't. Service was okay but not exceptional. If you need a quick meal before something it works ....
- Odd smell in foyer, pizzas are goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014Menu looks good, but an average italian restaurant. No homemade pasta or bread, pizzas were tasty. Service was quick.Special Features:
- Sal30Dined on 6/21/2014The quality of food continues to be outstanding, and I think that is mainly what keeps me coming back. If I am dining downtown, noon or evening, it is the first restaurant I consider. The chicken asiago entree I had was excellent - tops. Our waiter was also excellent, serving us well in a very busy situation, including excellent handling of separate checks at our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food with a flareluvtorDined on 6/21/2014We have been going to IlFornellos for years and now that we live in London, Ontario look forward to dining on our trips back to Toronto - food is always great and the staff serves with pride! Seasonings are delicate and memorable always prepared with perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- niceexperienceDined on 6/20/2014Timely service for our dinner as we were going to a concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect before theatre diningGronkDined on 6/20/2014If you're headed for the theatre on King St., this is the perfect dining experience. The food is consistently good. Staff are aware of the need of patrons who have limited time and are friendly and efficient. My cocktail was made to my liking - less sweet. The salads were huge and pasta was yummy.Special Features:
- Great Pre-Theatre DiningHappyDinerDined on 6/20/2014We were here before a TSO concert. Only complaint was that the gentleman at the front desk tried to give us a table beside the cash/service table (maybe because there were 2 women?) but when we asked for another, we were seated at a better located table immediately. It's crowded but that is what you expect pre-theatre. Food and service here are consistently good. Had the daily feature of spaghetti with asparagus and smoked salmon which was delicious as was the grilled calamari for an appetizer. Love going here and will go again.Special Features:
- Service poor, not going back.JuleDined on 6/20/2014I was not impressed by the service at this restaurant. While the food was good, it is simply not enough to have me return to the restaurant.
- Service was averageLuv2dineDined on 6/19/2014The good was good and service was average. Server did okay just not at the level that you would expect of this restaurant based on previous reviews and quality of food.Special Features:
- Washrooms need helpOutandaboutDined on 6/14/2014Everything was great, food, service etc. The washrooms however, were very dingy, not what one would expect after looking at the dining room. Way nicer washrooms at East Side Mario'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceDinewithmeDined on 6/14/2014Went there right before a show at the princess of Wales theater. We let the staff know and we were able to get in and out of the restaurant within the hour, without compromising service or food quality. Gnocchi was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fanatastic serverFredDined on 6/14/2014We were a group and there were food allergies, vegetarians and kids among us. The server was fantastic with splitting orders and remembering who split what order - especially since we ended up playing musical chairs! We chose Il Fornello because it catered to everyone's tastes in the group, but the server made it the best choice yet.Special Features:
- Always reliablewonkykneesDined on 6/11/2014Il Fornello on King offers good food, service and an adequate wine selection all at reasonable prices and a short walk from Roy Thompson Hall and theatres. Never startling. Rarely disappointing. Always reliable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceSukieDined on 6/6/2014The staff were very helpful and friendly, the food was delicious and we really appreciated the gluten free menu options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodTimdVIPDined on 6/6/2014I have been to this location a few times and the food is always good. It is not the outstanding of Terroni or Mercatto, but quite good. This time the service was excellent, attentive and pleasant. I will be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fast and easyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/6/2014We arrived late due to traffic and were concerned that we could finish dinner and still get to the theatre on time to see the Lion King. Our server brought our food out within 5 minutes and the pressure was immediately off. The pastas were excellent.Special Features:
- Very busy, but food reliablesusgerDined on 6/6/2014Handy location for entertainment district, but very busy and noisy pre-theatre. Reliable casual Italian standards, especially good Pizza. Service attentive. Alcohol mediocre and over-priced.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jared was perfect!weloveTO2Dined on 6/6/2014Loved loved loved it here. So close to our venue. Employees were quick attentative and experienced. We had apps, dinner dessert and drinks!! Thank you for a great time Jared!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceHappyplaceDined on 6/5/2014Had dinner before going to Roy Thomson Hall. Food was excellent, location excellent. It was a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceAlwaysluv2dineDined on 6/4/2014Quite enjoyable...ambiance was nice...server was very good...enjoyable time...will go backSpecial Features: