Il Fornaio - Walnut Creek
1430 Mt. Diablo Blvd.
Walnut Creek, CA 94596Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Walnut Creek
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 9252960100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Mario Radilla
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Delivery service available for orders over $100 in the Walnut Creek area.
A word from Il Fornaio - Walnut Creek
Il Fornaio means 'the baker' in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornaio - Walnut Creek reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (96)good for groups (69)great for lunch (68)special occasion (67)fit for foodies (52)neighborhood gem (48)romantic (37)great for brunch (35)notable wine list (28)kid-friendly (27)vibrant bar scene (15)hot spot (14)scenic view (4)late-night find (4)Show More
- Very pleasantShellDined on 10/25/2014We had a nice, pleasant meal. We ordered brunch dishes including the waffle with whipped cream and strawberries. The waffle could have had less whipped topping, it was lost in all that cream. The eggs were well cooked and served with potatoes. Service was good and overall we had a very enjoyable mealSpecial Features:
- A satisfying taste of Italy!wcfoodieDined on 10/24/2014I've been to Il Fornaio several times over the years, but I really appreciated it on this last visit. The pasta dishes were unique and the pasta itself fresh. Our server was able to recommend just the right Italian red for my taste. She was attentive all evening, but didn't hover. I don't write many reviews, but I am happy to say that I recommend Il Fornaio if you're looking for fresh and interesting Italian food.Special Features:
- Good, solid dining experienceHeidiAVIPDined on 10/24/2014Good food and service. Nice to find free range chicken and some organic vegetable options. Decent wine list. Overall, we were happy.Special Features:
- Dinner and a moviefoodieVIPDined on 10/21/2014We had dinner after a late afternoon movie and as usual, everything was great.Special Features:
- Near missFoggySFDined on 10/18/2014Hadn't been to Il Fornaio for some due to desire to avoid carbs, so I was looking forward to returning with out of town guests who love Italian food. We went for dinner and were seated in the loggia on a warm October night. The outer doors were open and we were seated right next to the doors so could enjoy the warm breeze. That part was great, but the food was only mediocre and service similar. I was so disappointed that three out of four dinners were rated only B- or C. My sausage raviolis in butter and brown sugar were great but the canneloni, butternut squash ravs and risotto specials were bland or downright unappetizing. So go maybe for the atmosphere, or the plain spaghetti. But if you are looking for gourmet Italian, pass on by.Special Features:
- Reliable but not memorableNummVIPDined on 10/18/2014We go to Il Fornaio occasionally as my daughter loves the place. My wife and I don't mind going there but it would not be on our list as the food is marginal. The food is nothing special. They do have a great location close to Broadway Shopping Plaza.
- Classy ItalianLovetocookandeatDined on 10/17/2014This restaurant has a nice atmosphere inside and out on the patio. It feels grand and classy, perfect for any meal, a business lunch, happy hour or a romantic dinner to celebrate any occasion. The food is classic Italian with a bit of an upscale vibe. The service is good, and happy hour is my favorite time because they have $6 pizza and $6 glasses of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eats at reasonable prices.hokey1950Dined on 10/12/2014My friend and I had lunch there on Sunday. We ordered the same dish, except hers was gluten free. The food was delicious, particularly the gravy. Definitely homemade with nice chunks of fresh tomatoes. The pasta was excellent and the sea food was fresh. Great ambiance sitting outside, yet it was quiet enough to have a good conversation. The service could have been a little better. It seemed that once we did not order any wine or alcohol, the service slowed. Overall a great experience.Special Features:
- really good food w/ ample portionsbikersVIPDined on 10/11/2014We had a great meal (petto di pollo for me) & a delicious lemon dessert. It is so nice to have good food and have enough of it to make you walk away feeling "full & very satisfied." The house chopped salad and calamari were good as always! An extra treat was leaving w/ a gift of soup starter which I will make today!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chain Restaurant with ok foodNummVIPDined on 10/11/2014Nothing special about Il Fornaio: Reasonable prices, average food, convenient location.Special Features:
- Awesome ServiceEatsOutDined on 10/5/2014Our server, Michael, was very attentive and knowledgeable when asked about food recommendations and overall great customer service. Good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining!MMS0BAYDined on 10/4/2014Our reservation was 5:45 on a Saturday. The server was attentive but sensitive to not hovering and made the dining experience very pleasant! The food was delicious! The ambience, food and service made for a very relaxing dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/3/2014Il Fornaio is always a great place for a business lunch or dinner. The waitress was great. And the food is always consistent and good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was a little slowBarbieVIPDined on 9/27/2014First time visiting and have to say service was a little slow. Got our appetizer before our drinks came. We did notice that tables that ordered a bottle of wine got their drinks before our individual glasses were served. Appetizer was some tempura thing - veggies were all a little soggy for me. Dinner was good for all of us as was dessert. It was pretty warm in the restaurant, we asked for the doors to be open which they complied until right at the end where the bus boy asked if he could close the door and then only closed the one closest to us? What's up with that? Either close them all or leave ours open as we asked for the air. Felt like we were treated differently for a table of 4 women.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall pretty goodKJ56Dined on 9/27/2014Overall the food was good. The only things that I wasn't as happy with was the kids pasta serving and the waiter's attitude. My 7 year old daughter ordered pasta with Parmesan and what came was a very small serving. Maybe a dozen pasta tubes that she polished off quickly and was still hungry. For the service itself, the waiter was rather gruff and not very friendly. Just seemed to be going through the motions and not looking to provide much more than taking orders and delivering the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Best part was our server Sherry. She was just great, did not hesitate to fill our every need, and with a smile to boot!Special Features:
- Favorite SpotSuzanLawDined on 9/21/2014This restaurant has a varied menu. I love their salads and chicken dishes. I appreciate that calories are listed next to every item. I am continuously surprised at the wonderful meal I can have for 700 calories which allows me to have 1 scope of their very decadent salted caramel gelator for 125 calories. Love the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulWalnutCreekDinerDined on 9/20/2014Great place, great food, great service but too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic service!Table4TDDined on 9/19/2014A very nice setting, dinner menu full of great choices, excellent dessert, & service is professional & friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Great food for lunch, great setting. Everything was very good. The seafood was perfectly fresh, and the service was very nice.Special Features:
- AbbyVIPDined on 9/16/2014Our waiter was very attentive, knowledgeable and very funny. Food is delicious there.Special Features:
- Love this restaurentAllenVIPDined on 9/12/2014Food was good as always. Best waitstaff ever. Everyone is so friendly. Would recommend it to all of our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingcheftoddDined on 9/10/2014It had been a year since I ventured into this great spot Without a doubt the food was off the hook- the service was outstanding! I highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Great menufoodieVIPDined on 9/9/2014I love the specials and the opportunity to try dishes from different areas of Italy.Special Features:
- Great experienceEllaDined on 9/6/2014Loved our server. She was the greatest. Great food. Every time we are at the restaurant, it gets better and better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious!madeleineVIPDined on 9/5/2014Il Fornaio is consistently good........lovely restaurant.......regional dishes were excellent! Service--the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pork too fat-GREAT server responseTedSVIPDined on 9/2/2014Both my wife and her mother's pork belly was way too fat. ( I don't know the Italian name) My wife's was almost total fat. We usually don't complain but this time she did and the waiter, Ramiro B. was very attentive. He took her plate away and returned with a complete credit for her entire meal. She was very pleased and we will continue to frequent El Fornaio and will recommend it to our friends. Thank you...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014My ravioli sauce had artichoke heart leaves which were a little bit woody. My friend had the fish dish which smelled a little fishy.Special Features:
- Horrible serviceJPeazyDined on 8/31/2014The food was good, but the service was horrible. I made a reservation for the evening, when we all got there the place was semi-empty. They sat us quickly, but we waiting over 25 minutes for anyone to notice us. We had to flag a random waiter to get any sort of service and she wasn't friendly at all. Our food came in slowly and the servers hardly paid any attention to their customers. Some of them were just hanging around the hostess booth chatting. Since, the food was good I had to at least give them 2 stars.Special Features:
- wonderful spotBenildoDined on 8/27/2014Always welcoming. Great place! I have never had a bad experience at Il FornaioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch at Il FornaioOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014We had lunch here last weekend and the food was great. I highly recommend the 1/2 rotisserie chicken for its smoky flavor and tender meat. My daughter loved the cheese pizza and my wife enjoyed her split chicken breast with wing meat. The restaurant's interior is well appointed and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il FornaioCordVIPDined on 8/13/2014Very good service and food. Nice wine list, but a little pricey for the wine. You can get salads and entrees in smaller potions for a lower cost. We dine there often..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for groupsChingVIPDined on 8/12/2014As usual, good food and service. Will come back again just for the panna cota. YummySpecial Features:
- foodie4lunchDined on 8/12/2014we enjoyed our lunch. easy to find this restaurant and parking lot is a plusSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There has been a changeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/9/2014We are frequent many year diners and have always enjoyed the Il Fornaio experience but have noticed on the last several visits a change in their quality of food. Their baked bread was one of the main draws for us and now they cheapened their product to shades above Wonder bread. If you enjoy Wonder Bread, you will love it. Secondly, the Pomodoro sauce had to have at least 1/4 cup oil on the bottom of the plate, smacks a lot of poor quality control particularly when we told the waiter we were on a low fat diet.
- Foodie2Dined on 8/8/2014Just needed a little more attentive service. The entrees took some time to get to our table, but were quite tasty. We enjoy Il Fornaio at other locations, but it was just a little under par with the service.Special Features:
- Front deskOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/7/2014Arrogant front desk people. 5 open outside tables and they seated us at the crappiest one ear the door. Clueless to customer service. Will not return for a long time. Prima is our Italian spot from now on
- Poor experienceEatout2Dined on 8/6/2014I haven't been to Il Fornaio in Walnut Creek is a few years. It use to be one of my favorite local restaurants with good food and great atmosphere. This restaurant has changed dramatically and not for the better. There were not many customers at 7:30 (always seemed packed before) yet the service was very slow and the food took forever to get. When it was finally delivered 4 of our 6 entrees were bland and tasteless. I guess they rely on location and past reputation now instead of good food and great service. With so many choices I won't bother to go there again.
- Great mealmadeleineVIPDined on 8/1/2014Il Fornaio is always good! The food is quality food and we like to eat there.Special Features:
- lovely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/31/2014Great reliable menu and food. The spinach salad was delicious, as always, and we tried the crispy polenta which was very good. Our main courses were the sea bass, a special for that night and it was wonderful. Portions were generous and service was outstanding. Eating outside on a warm night is lovely, but a large table with 6 children at 8:30 next to us can be a problem when you are looking for a quiet dinner. All in all, a great dinner, and we will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.