Il Fornaio - Walnut Creek
1430 Mt. Diablo Blvd.
Walnut Creek, CA 94596Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Walnut Creek
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 9252960100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Mario Radilla
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Delivery service available for orders over $100 in the Walnut Creek area.
A word from Il Fornaio - Walnut Creek
Il Fornaio means 'the baker' in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornaio - Walnut Creek reviews from OpenTable diners
211 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (110)special occasion (89)great for lunch (84)good for groups (79)fit for foodies (55)neighborhood gem (50)romantic (48)great for brunch (44)notable wine list (38)kid-friendly (30)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (18)late-night find (8)scenic view (6)Show More
- Fantastic service!Table4TDDined on 9/19/2014A very nice setting, dinner menu full of great choices, excellent dessert, & service is professional & friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Great food for lunch, great setting. Everything was very good. The seafood was perfectly fresh, and the service was very nice.Special Features:
- AbbyVIPDined on 9/16/2014Our waiter was very attentive, knowledgeable and very funny. Food is delicious there.Special Features:
- Love this restaurentAllenVIPDined on 9/12/2014Food was good as always. Best waitstaff ever. Everyone is so friendly. Would recommend it to all of our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingcheftoddDined on 9/10/2014It had been a year since I ventured into this great spot Without a doubt the food was off the hook- the service was outstanding! I highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Great menufoodieVIPDined on 9/9/2014I love the specials and the opportunity to try dishes from different areas of Italy.Special Features:
- Great experienceEllaDined on 9/6/2014Loved our server. She was the greatest. Great food. Every time we are at the restaurant, it gets better and better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious!madeleineDined on 9/5/2014Il Fornaio is consistently good........lovely restaurant.......regional dishes were excellent! Service--the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pork too fat-GREAT server responseTedSVIPDined on 9/2/2014Both my wife and her mother's pork belly was way too fat. ( I don't know the Italian name) My wife's was almost total fat. We usually don't complain but this time she did and the waiter, Ramiro B. was very attentive. He took her plate away and returned with a complete credit for her entire meal. She was very pleased and we will continue to frequent El Fornaio and will recommend it to our friends. Thank you...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014My ravioli sauce had artichoke heart leaves which were a little bit woody. My friend had the fish dish which smelled a little fishy.Special Features:
- Horrible serviceJPeazyDined on 8/31/2014The food was good, but the service was horrible. I made a reservation for the evening, when we all got there the place was semi-empty. They sat us quickly, but we waiting over 25 minutes for anyone to notice us. We had to flag a random waiter to get any sort of service and she wasn't friendly at all. Our food came in slowly and the servers hardly paid any attention to their customers. Some of them were just hanging around the hostess booth chatting. Since, the food was good I had to at least give them 2 stars.Special Features:
- wonderful spotBenildoDined on 8/27/2014Always welcoming. Great place! I have never had a bad experience at Il FornaioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch at Il FornaioOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014We had lunch here last weekend and the food was great. I highly recommend the 1/2 rotisserie chicken for its smoky flavor and tender meat. My daughter loved the cheese pizza and my wife enjoyed her split chicken breast with wing meat. The restaurant's interior is well appointed and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il FornaioCordVIPDined on 8/13/2014Very good service and food. Nice wine list, but a little pricey for the wine. You can get salads and entrees in smaller potions for a lower cost. We dine there often..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for groupsChingVIPDined on 8/12/2014As usual, good food and service. Will come back again just for the panna cota. YummySpecial Features:
- foodie4lunchDined on 8/12/2014we enjoyed our lunch. easy to find this restaurant and parking lot is a plusSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There has been a changeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/9/2014We are frequent many year diners and have always enjoyed the Il Fornaio experience but have noticed on the last several visits a change in their quality of food. Their baked bread was one of the main draws for us and now they cheapened their product to shades above Wonder bread. If you enjoy Wonder Bread, you will love it. Secondly, the Pomodoro sauce had to have at least 1/4 cup oil on the bottom of the plate, smacks a lot of poor quality control particularly when we told the waiter we were on a low fat diet.
- Foodie2Dined on 8/8/2014Just needed a little more attentive service. The entrees took some time to get to our table, but were quite tasty. We enjoy Il Fornaio at other locations, but it was just a little under par with the service.Special Features:
- Front deskOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/7/2014Arrogant front desk people. 5 open outside tables and they seated us at the crappiest one ear the door. Clueless to customer service. Will not return for a long time. Prima is our Italian spot from now on
- Poor experienceEatout2Dined on 8/6/2014I haven't been to Il Fornaio in Walnut Creek is a few years. It use to be one of my favorite local restaurants with good food and great atmosphere. This restaurant has changed dramatically and not for the better. There were not many customers at 7:30 (always seemed packed before) yet the service was very slow and the food took forever to get. When it was finally delivered 4 of our 6 entrees were bland and tasteless. I guess they rely on location and past reputation now instead of good food and great service. With so many choices I won't bother to go there again.
- Great mealmadeleineDined on 8/1/2014Il Fornaio is always good! The food is quality food and we like to eat there.Special Features:
- lovely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/31/2014Great reliable menu and food. The spinach salad was delicious, as always, and we tried the crispy polenta which was very good. Our main courses were the sea bass, a special for that night and it was wonderful. Portions were generous and service was outstanding. Eating outside on a warm night is lovely, but a large table with 6 children at 8:30 next to us can be a problem when you are looking for a quiet dinner. All in all, a great dinner, and we will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good place to celebratebecketteDined on 7/31/2014Interesting dishes that vary with the seasons. Perhaps the best chain in the country so if you travel this can be a good choice wherever they are located.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il Fornaio, Walnut Creekmike3Dined on 7/30/2014Great place. Great food, especially the scallopine.Special Features:
- A Restaurant in DeclineCarlVIPDined on 7/30/2014The food was fair; nothing special. The service was slow and not attentive. With all the strong competition in Walnut Creek, there's no need to return.Special Features:
- Nice lunch spotFoodyoneVIPDined on 7/30/2014Beautiful setting for lunch on either the outdoor patio or the attractive and comfortable dining room. Service is very good and friendly. Nice selection of Italian white wines. Entrees and salads are good but undistinguished. Desserts are delicious! Lots of other places do Italian food as well or better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 happy local dinersFrench19Dined on 7/29/2014We were prompted to dine at Il Fornaio this time because of the promotion for free corkage during July. We had an absolutely delicious dinner and fabulous service. I forgot my free corkage coupon, and the waiter did not hesitate to remove the charge from our bill. Now this is first class service. We frequent your happy hour and it was such a delight to have a sit down dinner in the dining room. Sometimes we forget how lucky we are to have a great local restaurant within a few miles of four home.Special Features:
- PriceySF14Dined on 7/28/2014We came here for a last night family dinner to celebrate. The appetizers were very good with copious portions. Our table was split on the main course as 2 were pleased but the other 2 who both ordered the veal were disappointed. The meat was chewy and the vegetables were undercooked. We told our waiter at the end of the meal when he asked us how everything was. To compensate he kindly offered us desert. I hope to be served refined food when paying a high price, unfortunately I felt the level not up to par.Special Features:
- One of my favorite placessteve02aDined on 7/27/2014I've been going to Il Fornaio for years. It's never disappointed me. They always have a great menu list. It's Italian. It's great. If you're not a fan of Italian food, this place isn't for you. If you love Italian, then go! I went on a Sunday late afternoon. Pretty slow n' quiet. I know Friday/Saturday night can be packed with a wait time and very energetic. And of course I'll be going back! It's one of my fav. places in Walnut Creek (even if WC has terrible parking).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014We're regulars and there is a good reason. The food and service is always good. Yes the bar staff and waiters all know us and take good care of us, but it looks as though they do it for everyone!Special Features:
- Great service and nice ambiencemadeleineDined on 7/23/2014We enjoy Il Fornaio--food is consistently good. Sven is excellent. Nice dining outdoors and in.Special Features:
- KiwiGirl2014Dined on 7/20/2014Re-connected with a old friend from high school and we had a lovely dinner and great service! Since it was Sunday night and less of a crowd, we got to pick our table towards the back to be alone and catch up on 48 years of life! The server was excellent, tended to our needs and seemed to sense our need for a place to be sit where we didn't have to whisper and could be as energetic as we like!. I have always loved Il Fornaio for the delicious breads & pasta, but I have never had anything I didn't like there. The bar is big and open and usually lots of activity and overall a great place to meet someone who hasn't been there before. It was a GREAT night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experienceByrdmanDined on 7/18/2014The staff is the best. I asked for the best waiter and they delivered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Nice Patiocalichick925Dined on 7/18/2014As usual the food was outstanding, fresh and delicious! The chefs were great substituting with no issues a menu item for me. The wait staff is quick and friendly. Alway have had great service here.Special Features:
- The BestBling4foodDined on 7/17/2014Il Fornaio has always been my go to place for most events. The food is good, prices reasonable, and the acoustics allow for pleasant conversation. Excellent service! Great for group dinners. I had a birthday event there 2 years ago and we all had a great time. Il Fornaio in Walnut Creek is one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014Really enjoyed our food; staff was attentive, thoughtful, helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/12/2014Our waiter was somewhat engaging. The food, only moderately so.
- LBDCDined on 7/11/2014This was a great little find. Went here to celebrate a friend's birthday. Food was good, ambiance was beautiful and the prices were fair but the service was a little slow...I attribute that to the LARGE private dinner party of more than 30. Food was extended and the wait staff in my opinion was strained a bit due to that. However, I'd certainly return.Special Features:
- Bad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014Our meal was a fish medley. The prawns and the white fish were good but the salmon and the scallops had a "fishy" taste and the squid was so over cooked it was like rubber. The entire dish was over powered by too much butter and the vegetables were very over cooked. Not a pleasant experience!
- Grams70Dined on 7/10/2014Good casual restaurant. Food servings were very big- took some homeSpecial Features: