Il Fornaio - Santa Monica
1551 Ocean Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Santa Monica
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 3104517800
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday, 11:30am - 2:00pm. Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 3:00pm; Saturday - Sunday, 11:30am - 3:00pm. Dinner: Sunday - Friday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm; Saturday, 3:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Luis Escobar
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer off-site catering for any size function. Perfect for corporate, family and holiday events. Let us bring Il Fornaio to you.
- Private Party Facilities: Il Fornaio- Santa Monica offers 5 rooms for private dining that can seat up to 250 people. Our restaurant is great for hosting birthday parties, wedding rehearsals, business luncheons, holiday parties and many other events.
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 8885762434
- Cross Street: Colorado
- Public Transit: Blue Line #7 & RTD
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Our valet is located on Ocean Ave between Broadway and Colorado. However, due to city construction, Colorado Street is now closed from 2nd street. Therefore, you will need to either come down Broadway or Pico Street to reach our valet and restaurant. Our valet cost is $5.50 with validation. There is also a free public lot available for three hours, one block away.
A word from Il Fornaio - Santa Monica
Step inside Il Fornaio and take a culinary journey through Italy. Early mornings bring rustic, crisp crusted bread hot from the oven accompanied by the scent of fresh brewed espresso. During lunch and dinner hours, pastas and flavorful sauces simmer while meats and vegetables roast over hot coals. Bottles of wine from small, regional wineries are uncorked to complement the dishes, which have been crafted in the custom of Italy's chefs, bakers and homemakers. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornaio - Santa Monica reviews from OpenTable diners
- Had Thanksgiving dinner hereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2012Had Thanksgiving dinner here with my fiance. Service was excellent with very friendly and acomodating staff. We ordered the Turkey. My soup was almost tasteless. The turkey, with mashed and sweet potatoes green beans, and stuffing came on a large platter from which we were to serve ourselves. Family style, not classy. There was only enough green beans for one person. The potatoes were plain. The turkey was good, but the gravy, like the soup, was almost tasteless. No cranberry sauce. Dessert was good, but again, really nothing special. We will not be going back. It just wasn't special, and with so many excellent restaurants, why return?
- Il Fornaio in Santa MonicaByAnyOtherNameVIPDined on 11/19/2012Il Fornaio in Santa Monica is our go to every time we visit LA. We love, love, love the food. Know all the staples on the menu, but try to make it to their regional dinners. Even though it was over, they still had some menu items from the specials and we thoroughly enjoyed them. We recommend this restaurant to everyone we know.Special Features:
- Open Table What Happened?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/15/2012My review is for Open Table...my reservation was not in the restaurants computer. Luckily it was a weekday and i was able to get a table right away.Special Features:
- They do a great job with theOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/10/2012They do a great job with the food at this location. I am a big fan of the antipasto and pastas. Nice wine selection too.
- Standard Italian fair. TheBaronDined on 11/5/2012Standard Italian fair. The restaurant was not that crowded but still the service was disappointingly neglectful. If you go without great expectations, it is fine. I think it used to be better though.Special Features:
- The service was fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/12/2012The service was fantastic. Authentic Italian food - everyone loved their meals and we really enjoyed sitting on the patio. :)Special Features:
- nice location and more moderatelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2012nice location and more moderately priced than other restaurants on Ocean Avenue. Easy parking.Special Features:
- We had to ask to have theSteenieDined on 9/13/2012We had to ask to have the music turned down a few times as the restaurant was quiet and we were trying to have a meeting. The waitress remembered us from our previous visit which was a nice touch.Special Features:
- Can always count onFberryVIPDined on 9/5/2012Good food, always good specials. Great place for privacy.Special Features:
- Overall the restaurant feltlovefamilystyleDined on 8/31/2012Overall the restaurant felt a bit faded and the food was fine but ordinarySpecial Features:
- Have been various times beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2012Have been various times before during business trips from the UK. This visit was as a family on holiday. Food and service good and enjoyable.Special Features:
- Just OkOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2012The "Special" of seafood linguini with spicy tomato sauce was lacking sauce and too spicy. Adding some plain marinara sauce saved the day. Worse I think is the bar inventory -- please add Southern Comfort to your well. The highlight was the carpaccio-- excellent beef and deliciously dressed. Well done.
- Bad Time at the beachbillyDined on 8/11/2012I am sorry but I can not write anything good about our experience. We had reservations at 7:30 arrived promptly and the six of us were sat at a table for 8-10. We sat for 10 minutes before even being noticed and by then we were ready to order. We ordered Calamari, Two soups, two pastas, salad.and pizza. Everything was brought out sporadically, the calamari was so-so, tasted like they took it out of the freezer and deep fried it , let it sit around a few minutes and served it cold. The sauce that came with it, nothing special. The soup, cold. The pizza, cold, the paste, not so great. After we were done eating it so long to clear the plates that I stacked them in a pile on the table because I wanted them away from in front of me.
- Our go-to restaurant whencariDined on 8/7/2012Our go-to restaurant when we meet our son for dinner. Always good.Special Features:
- Food was very good but serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/4/2012Food was very good but service was poor. Ended up having to go to the bar to get a glass of wine with dinner.
- first table was next to aShebedbDined on 8/4/2012first table was next to a huge party way too loud and no ambience next table was perfectSpecial Features:
- Decent food, great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2012Decent Italian food. Service is professional and friendly on all fronts. The place itself is a bit old-fashioned, and tbe croud eclectic.Special Features:
- I met a friend at Il FornaioEskimoDined on 7/26/2012I met a friend at Il Fornaio who was in town for a few days. The food is always consistent and this time was no exception. Our waitress was lovely, helpful and made good suggestions. We were not rushed at all, and that was appreciated.Special Features:
- Service was extremely slow.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2012Service was extremely slow. Booth back was damaged. Worn environment. Very disappointed in Santa Monica, Ocean Blvd location.
- We went at 4:30 PM. The placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/14/2012We went at 4:30 PM. The place was practically empty, which was fine with us. But then an older couple came in and were seating right behind us. They were obnoxiously loud and annoying. Why were they seated right next to us, when the restaurant was empty? They spoiled an otherwise enjoyable meal.Special Features:
- Despite calling in advance,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/7/2012Despite calling in advance, our table for 7 was not ready on-time, requiring another 20 minute wait. The service was rushed, with one main dish arriving 10 minutes following everyone else's main course (after the wrong dish was delivered). Yet another ordered dish never arrived. When this was brought to the waitresses' attention, there was little if any acknowledgement. The portions were undersized and the taste of most dishes was only fair. Will not return to this restaurant.
- The food was very good andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/2/2012The food was very good and the dishes were interesting--- not your typical red sauce Italian restaurant. The waiter should choose a new career---he was horrible and had an attitude.
- It was easy place to get inlisa0810Dined on 6/30/2012It was easy place to get in and out of for those who were at the Pier. Not the greatest food but then again, what can you expect in the Touristy section of Santa Monica?
- Has seen better days. Needs improvOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/29/2012They were understaffed. The service was slow albeit very good. My duck dish was "tough."Special Features:
- Lunch stopOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/24/2012I should have thought about avoiding coming on the weekend in Santa Monica, it's crazy trying to find parking and even the valet for this place.the staff was friendly and service was great. The food was good (veg pizza a tad bland). It was my second visit there. On arrival I saw two huge, walk-in groups get seated, so they were readily accommodating.Special Features:
- It is not a $$ price rating.jamesDined on 6/23/2012It is not a $$ price rating. Food items more expensive than that and customers need to know. Attentive waitress. Pleasant environment once inside. Parking is terrible on a Saturday night in Santa Monica. Budget 20 minutes to drive 1/2 mile from freeway and to park in a crowded multiple level structure.Special Features:
- their overall service fromThEaterVIPDined on 6/17/2012their overall service from valet to meal is heading down hill fast! No valet showed up to take our car, had to get and stamp our own parking ticket and leave the car. Water and bread service arrives late, waiter already taking order for drinks and still no water and bread. Received meal cold, had to send it back. I think they are cutting back on help thus the bad service. Good recipes, bad execution all around.
- made a reservation for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2012made a reservation for lunch party of 6, the restaurant was almost empty and it took for ever for our food to be served, I had to ask for parmesan to top the pasta. Waitress did not pay attention to our table. plants blocked the view from the patio tables to see the ocean and the pier, why be at that location if you can't see out?
- Great ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/5/2012Staff and service could not have been friendlier. Food was excellent, even accommodated my friend's need to have one of the dishes prepared without cheese. Definitely will go backSpecial Features:
- A great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/27/2012Great place. One of the best Italian restaurants I've been to and the prices were very reasonable. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- We have gone to the regionalOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/19/2012We have gone to the regional dinners for a long time. We even switched locations so we could have better food. The food has not improved in our opinion and we will not be going back.
- table service is horrible.ThEaterVIPDined on 5/18/2012table service is horrible. It has heading down hill for a while and now it is the worse. Don't expect to get water when you sit down nor the bread. Your waiter will take your order before you even get the basics (water and bread). Sorry I use to love this place. Looking for another place to eat
- Disappointed DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/16/2012Sadly, the quality of food at Il Fornaio has not been up to its previous standards. The house salad was tasteless, and the risotto of the day was done so poorly, it tasted like undone white rice, with only a few pieces of shrimp tossed in. My friend's food was likewise disappointing. I would not return.
- It was alright. A bit pricey,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012It was alright. A bit pricey, portions were smaller than expected, food came out lukewarm. They brought me the wrong entree, but they got my actual plate out quickly. Overall, I don't think I'd recommend this to a family member (and probably not going to be returning; it's nothing special).Special Features:
- PerfectJLWTVVIPDined on 5/13/2012It is not often that a restaurant is consistent in food quality, service and ambience. Il Formaio was perfect. It has been since it opened. We have had lunch and dinner at the Santa Monica and Beverly Hills locations several times over the years. Santa Monica is much more comfortable and quiet. As good as the food and service are in BH, we always feel rushed. The Santa Monica location is PERFECT. Server Ashley was very attentive.Special Features:
- The service was so terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2012The service was so terrible that it ruined our brunch. It seemed impossible to get coffee and cream at the same time . By the time the requested cream arrived the coffee was cold and for three people we were given a tiny half full pitcher. we were stuck away in a corner without a clear view of the wait staff. When we complained on the way out no one seemed to care I have eaten at il fornaio beverly hills at least a dozen times and NEVER had any issues with service.
- We love the Il Fornaio inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2012We love the Il Fornaio in mill valley and were very excited to find one in Santa Monica. We have been twice to the Santa Monica one but will not go again. Each time I have made a reservation only to have to wait 15-20 minutes for a table. Also we were seated less than a foot away from tables on either side of us. Very uncomfortable. Service seems a little distracted and idiotic.Special Features:
- My wife and I and anothersfrefVIPDined on 5/6/2012My wife and I and another couple had brunch at the Santa Monica location of Il Fornaio on May 6th. In contrast to our experience with dinners there, brunch was a disappointment. The brunch fare was a bit uninspired and bland, and the kitchen took forever to prepare our food even though the restaurant was not at all busy at the time. Recommendation: have dinner there, not brunch.Special Features:
- Don't BotherOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2012We had a very nice and patient server, but the service was somewhat slow and spotty. You had to ask for Parmesan cheese and pepper to go with your pasta! The food was fine and there was lots of it. They were out of the ALL the half-bottle wines, which seems somewhat suspicious. I would NEVER recommend this place or go there again. The Il Fornaio in Pasadena is much nicer.
- We always love Il FornaioJudithDined on 4/29/2012We always love Il Fornaio restaurants, and this Santa Monica venue didn't disappoint. We were seated in a booth, which felt private and was blissfully quiet, and the food was outstanding.Special Features: