Il Fornaio - San Jose
302 South Market St.
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - San Jose
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: (408) 271-3366
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:30am, Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Italian
- Executive Chef: Claudio Zorloni
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Il Fornaio offers full service off-site catering. Please contact the Il Fornaio catering department at (408)271-3350.
- Cross Street: San Carlos St.
- Public Transit: City bus stops are located nearby
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet is available; the cost is $8 for the first 2 hours, and then posted rates thereafter. There is also complimentary validated parking in the convention center parking structure, then the city will charge for the third hour and then full price after three hours. There is also street parking available,
A word from Il Fornaio - San Jose
Il Fornaio means "The Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2013.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Il Fornaio - San Jose - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Il Fornaio - San Jose reviews from OpenTable diners
168 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (86)good for groups (79)fit for foodies (61)neighborhood gem (51)romantic (48)great for lunch (38)notable wine list (28)great for brunch (17)kid-friendly (15)late-night find (13)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Businessmens choiceBaymxDined on 11/20/2014Good food good service good price. An excellent choice for business entertainingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ll Fornaio San Jose - Major disappointment2cannoliloversVIPDined on 11/16/2014Last time after attending the SJ Opera we booked our regular Open Table dining reservation. Albeit Opera nights are busy we never had a problem before, but this time we had to wait an hour and a half for our entree. Each time we asked, the waiter said "ours was the next dinner up". There was no floor manager in sight. We toughed it out until finally served. This past Opera Sunday figuring that the prior experience was an anomaly we returned and were faced with the same hour plus wait for the entree. This time we contacted a manager and was told there are too many customers for the kitchen to handle. He had no clue to when our dinners would be served. We chose to leave at this point asking for the bill for the salad and appetizer. He said that he would absorb the cost and was sorry for the problem but couldn't do anything about the kitchen service on an Opera night. We remarked that this makes two bad experiences in a row. We will not return even though Il Fornaio was our go to restaurant in San Jose for over 20 years. We usually dine at their other restaurants throughout the Bay Area and Carmel.
- Best in San JosetheaVIPDined on 11/13/2014Best restaurant in downtown San Jose. Great service and cannot beat choices on menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was disappointed in the food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014Went for a business lunch with guest from Asia who wanted good Italian food. I got the special Risotto with Salmon and shrimp. . .so disappointing. Bowl full of nice creamy risotto but almost no salmon to be found , 2 or 3 tiny pieces (size of a pea), and a 3-4 small shrimp. Another guest got a roasted chicken dish and said meat was dry and tough. The other two, one had a salmon salad I wish I had ordered, generous servings of salmon and the other a manicotti dish that was very delicious.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Waiter was attentive and didn't make us feel hurried....definitely am coming backSpecial Features:
- Old Faithful Not So FaithfulBrooklynExpatriatDined on 11/8/2014We have enjoyed Il Fornaio on many occasions, however, 11/8/14 was not one of them. Service was amateurish and inattentive. The server was more concerned with chatting with another table and ultimately succeeded in getting the patron's business card. The complementary bread dish has disintegrated from a generous selection of breads, and our favorite, bread sticks to a few lonely rolls and the menu seems to be more limited on each successive visit. We would have to consider a return visit very carefully.
- Business lunchFood1stDined on 10/31/2014Perfect place to have a business lunch/conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it once wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/30/2014Since becoming a chain not what it was when it first opened - service and food quality have gone downhill. Waiters appeared awkward. Food was ok - but nothing special. Good location in historic St. Claire hotelSpecial Features:
- GOO jobOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014Good food , very Italian style . wine list rich and not really expensive .Special Features:
- Always GoodRomanticREALTORDined on 10/19/2014The staff is always friendly and attentive. We go at least once a month. Their Passport meals are great.Special Features:
- Anniversary celebrationGreatfoodDined on 10/17/2014Took our son and his wife of 25 years to dinner to celebrate their anniversary. Excellent all the way around!Special Features:
- Phenomenal Italian FoodLove74ItalianDined on 10/11/2014The food was absolutely delicious! Everything was fresh and vibrant with flavor. The food presentation was beautiful. The service was impeccable top notch and super yummy drinks from the bar. We hope to return one day again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerdavidwcDined on 10/11/2014We went here with friends for our anniversary eve dinner. We had wonderful service from Ariana who was very helpful in making suggestions from the menu. We ended up sharing a salad and the regional Prix menu from Lombardi. The food was delicious!!! In honor of our anniversary the restaurant treated us to a bottle of Preseco. It was a great experience.Special Features:
- Perfect spot in downtown San JoseKathyDined on 10/10/2014I love this Il Fornaio for its atmosphere (the murals, etc.) and the way the room is divided into smaller sections with glass screening. Keeps the noise level down while while maintaining the festive feel. Even though it's a chain, it always feels like a "neighborhood gem" !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsLuv2DineDined on 10/4/2014This is a great restaurant to have great food and spend fun time with freinds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014This location is in an old hotel and is inviting as well as convenient if you're going to a show in downtown San Jose. The service is very good as is the wine list. The food has good choices but also some items that aren't as good. My pasta with mushroom dish was boring and a bit bland. We also had roasted chicken which was very good. Based on the chickn, I'd return. Based on the pasta, I wouldn't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrongBrandyDined on 9/27/2014Il Fornaio downtown San Jose has done it once again. We recently had a an amazing meal and service with a beautiful view overlooking the Market Street park in San Jose. We've been coming here for years for special occasions and yes, I've had slightly bad service before or a subtle nuance in my meal, but overall, it's a lovely place to come with family for a special occasion. Thank you Il Fornaio for going above and beyond. It was a most memorable celebration for us! See you in November!Special Features:
- Great birthday lunch at Il Forniao!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014We had a birthday lunch for three co-workers and everything was fabulous! Great service, amazing food and great atmosphere! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for fresh authentic Italian food and amazing service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary dinner!dtw927VIPDined on 9/21/2014Visited Il Fornaio once again in San Jose (In the Sainte Claire hotel) for an anniversary dinner last weekend. Great appetizer of calamaretti fritto, pasta dinners and their fabulous afogatto dessert. Very good wine list, attentive but not intrusive service, and we went with the server's recommendations and were better for it......a great place for an upscale pasta meal, with all the trimmings! Just remember to go on a evening or afternoon when there are no events at either the nearby San Jose Center or SAP Center/Stadium, otherwise there are crowds to contend with. You can easily check event dates online. Buono appetito!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food after the SJ OperaPanacheLassDined on 9/21/2014We all arrived at once; have suggested that they use a waiter to get the names of those who have reservations and show them to their seats ASAPI would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodJohnVIPDined on 9/20/2014The food and service were great. My wife and I both had the mixed seafood grill which was an large selection of fish, scallops, prawns and calamari. Perfectly cooked and very flavorful. Being in a historic hotel contributes to the nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- Perfect for date nightDatenightDined on 9/20/2014Requested window and/or quiet romantic table at reservation request. Got exactly as requested followed by a fabulous meal, fantastic service and overall wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatSanjosedinerVIPDined on 9/20/2014Excellent service, food and environment. Seated on time, got us out on time for our theater engagement and the dinner was delicious. Whenever I'm looking for a guaranteed good experience for a small dinner party, I go to Il Fornaio.Special Features:
- SplendidmaggieinlgDined on 9/18/2014As usual our food was outstanding, the service was wonderful and was just an overall enjoyable evening. We are never disappointed here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a Business DinnerFrankBDined on 9/16/2014Food was great, had the mixed seafood grill which I would heartily recommend. Service was very good. The place is looking a little run down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classic but out of datekrosetDined on 9/14/2014the food was ok. for the price, not ok. very basic and somewhat poorly prepared, i.e. the pasta was overcooked, the lobster bisque didn't taste of lobster, and it had no lobster within and the truffle oil float was overwhelming. salads were overdressed. the prices were very high for the quality of the ingredients. the classic dishes weren't really classically prepared. sent a couple of things back and they were never credited to our over $400 bill.
- Mixed MessageFrustratedDined on 9/14/2014This was a business dinner with new Japanese clients who were staying at the nearby Fairmont Hotel. The restaurant was very crowded but our table was ready. Service was good as was the bread and dessert, but the entrees were very disappointing. (My pasta tasted like it had just been unfrozen.)
- Not the best Il Fornaio experienceOperadinerDined on 9/14/2014Always a problem here, the AC meant that we were sitting in a cool breeze, with the air cooling our food as well as ourselves. We were seated rapidly, despite being in the "after opera matinee" rush. Our choice of wine was not available (a dry white), and we were offered a substitute, without being given time to taste it. We decided that it was too sweet and perfume. Once we attacked the waiter's attention, it was immediately replaced by our second choice. This was better, but not chilled enough to our liking. The food was good, though we were put off by the green tinge to the mussels in the seafood pasta. In the UK this is a sign that they are "off". Apparently not so in CA. The waiter's advice on the food was spot on and excellent.
- Nostalgic Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/14/2014It was nice to see how Downtown SJ has grown and advance,and the St Claire Hotel and the restaurant within Il Fornaio makes it proud and elegant. Nice dinning experience for the elderly and young. Nice mix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RushingComfortZoneVIPDined on 9/14/2014Unfortunately, we arrived late and had tickets to one of the last shows for Wicked. There were 7 of us, including 3 children and a 90+ senior. We all wished we had time to sit and enjoy the food and ambiance. But, the wait team was very respectful of our time constraints and service piping hot food in a jiffy that tasted very good. We'll have to return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hostess and waiter were greathpycmprDined on 9/13/2014The hostess was able to accommodate a party of 7 thirty minutes earlier than the scheduled reservation,which was appreciated as we were with our aging parents. She was pleasant even though the restaurant was busy and crowded. The waiter was also outstanding and helpful. Great personality and made good suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea bassCasualDinerDined on 9/11/2014I ordered sea bass and I doubt that it was sea bass. The staff admitted it was not Chilean sea bass. Nice preparation but poor quality of fish - barely edible. I have eaten at the Palo Alto and San Jose locations many times but I will never return to the San Jose location. I have zero tolerance for restaurants serving poor quality seafood.Special Features:
- Bread and service were excellentNatiVIPDined on 9/9/2014Pasta and salad came out quickly which was a pleasant surprise but they were both bland. So disappointed!
- Molto Bene!foodfriendlyDined on 9/9/2014I love Il Fornaio. The menu is interesting and the wait staff helpful and efficient. The restaurant is beautiful and lively. I especially enjoyed the sea bass asparagus saffron risotto. The fish was perfectly cooked, and tender asparagus and grape tomatoes were a lovely contrast to the saffron rice. Great place for a lingering meal or before a show. Wait staff asked if we were headed to a performance and made sure we were served, without feeling rushed, with time to spare. Great dining experience all around.Special Features:
- Poor Service-Food sent backOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2014Came here for brunch before a performance of Wicked downtown, service was poor, eggs had to be sent back to get corrected and generally a bad experience. Dissapointing since we have been to other locations many times with no issuse. Must have been a bad day.
- EightyDined on 9/6/2014The service was good and fast (almost too fast) but at least we had time to enjoy our meal and finish leisurely before going to the opera. Last time we were here we waited and waited and wondered if we would finish in time. So the chef and service has improved. The lobster bisque was not tasty.
- Excellent as alwaysCynthiaCDined on 9/6/2014Our server asked right away if we were there prior to a show (we were) so she could make sure we were out on time. She gave us excellent suggestions for food, and the new dishes were EXCELLENT. Our only complaint was the Butternut Squash Ravioli was only warm while the pesto pasta was piping hot - but all were still delicious including wine, coffee and dessert. Server was attentive, food was brought quickly, we never felt rushed, and were were out in time for opening night at the opera.Special Features:
- FootLooseVIPDined on 9/6/2014Service was outstanding. Be sure to sit in Rumi's section.Special Features:
- Food PoorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Service great! Food was horrible. This restaurant has gone down hill. Sorry to right this review but we all were not happy with the food.
- Waited way too long for our foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/5/2014We waited a while for our food. There was a show going on downtown and i think people attending the show were given preference. I said "I think," can't confirm that. I ordered the sea bass and it was raw in the middle. My order wasn't comp'd but we were offered free dessert. A little disappointing. Our server did a good job.