Il Fornaio - San Jose
302 South Market St.
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - San Jose
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 4082713366x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:30am, Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Italian
- Executive Chef: Claudio Zorloni
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Il Fornaio offers full service off-site catering. Please contact the Il Fornaio catering department at (408)271-3350.
- Cross Street: San Carlos St.
- Public Transit: City bus stops are located nearby
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet is available; the cost is $8 for the first 2 hours, and then posted rates thereafter. There is also complimentary validated parking in the convention center parking structure, then the city will charge for the third hour and then full price after three hours. There is also street parking available,
A word from Il Fornaio - San Jose
Il Fornaio means "The Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2013.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Il Fornaio - San Jose - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Il Fornaio - San Jose reviews from OpenTable diners
202 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (114)good for groups (92)fit for foodies (64)romantic (53)neighborhood gem (50)great for lunch (48)notable wine list (34)great for brunch (29)kid-friendly (22)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- Can't go wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014Il Fornaio downtown San Jose has done it once again. We recently had a an amazing meal and service with a beautiful view overlooking the Market Street park in San Jose. We've been coming here for years for special occasions and yes, I've had slightly bad service before or a subtle nuance in my meal, but overall, it's a lovely place to come with family for a special occasion. Thank you Il Fornaio for going above and beyond. It was a most memorable celebration for us! See you in November!Special Features:
- Great birthday lunch at Il Forniao!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014We had a birthday lunch for three co-workers and everything was fabulous! Great service, amazing food and great atmosphere! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for fresh authentic Italian food and amazing service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary dinner!dtw927VIPDined on 9/21/2014Visited Il Fornaio once again in San Jose (In the Sainte Claire hotel) for an anniversary dinner last weekend. Great appetizer of calamaretti fritto, pasta dinners and their fabulous afogatto dessert. Very good wine list, attentive but not intrusive service, and we went with the server's recommendations and were better for it......a great place for an upscale pasta meal, with all the trimmings! Just remember to go on a evening or afternoon when there are no events at either the nearby San Jose Center or SAP Center/Stadium, otherwise there are crowds to contend with. You can easily check event dates online. Buono appetito!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food after the SJ OperaPanacheLassDined on 9/21/2014We all arrived at once; have suggested that they use a waiter to get the names of those who have reservations and show them to their seats ASAPI would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodJohnVIPDined on 9/20/2014The food and service were great. My wife and I both had the mixed seafood grill which was an large selection of fish, scallops, prawns and calamari. Perfectly cooked and very flavorful. Being in a historic hotel contributes to the nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- Perfect for date nightDatenightDined on 9/20/2014Requested window and/or quiet romantic table at reservation request. Got exactly as requested followed by a fabulous meal, fantastic service and overall wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatSanjosedinerDined on 9/20/2014Excellent service, food and environment. Seated on time, got us out on time for our theater engagement and the dinner was delicious. Whenever I'm looking for a guaranteed good experience for a small dinner party, I go to Il Fornaio.Special Features:
- SplendidmaggieinlgDined on 9/18/2014As usual our food was outstanding, the service was wonderful and was just an overall enjoyable evening. We are never disappointed here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a Business DinnerFrankBDined on 9/16/2014Food was great, had the mixed seafood grill which I would heartily recommend. Service was very good. The place is looking a little run down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classic but out of datekrosetDined on 9/14/2014the food was ok. for the price, not ok. very basic and somewhat poorly prepared, i.e. the pasta was overcooked, the lobster bisque didn't taste of lobster, and it had no lobster within and the truffle oil float was overwhelming. salads were overdressed. the prices were very high for the quality of the ingredients. the classic dishes weren't really classically prepared. sent a couple of things back and they were never credited to our over $400 bill.
- Mixed MessageFrustratedDined on 9/14/2014This was a business dinner with new Japanese clients who were staying at the nearby Fairmont Hotel. The restaurant was very crowded but our table was ready. Service was good as was the bread and dessert, but the entrees were very disappointing. (My pasta tasted like it had just been unfrozen.)
- Not the best Il Fornaio experienceOperadinerDined on 9/14/2014Always a problem here, the AC meant that we were sitting in a cool breeze, with the air cooling our food as well as ourselves. We were seated rapidly, despite being in the "after opera matinee" rush. Our choice of wine was not available (a dry white), and we were offered a substitute, without being given time to taste it. We decided that it was too sweet and perfume. Once we attacked the waiter's attention, it was immediately replaced by our second choice. This was better, but not chilled enough to our liking. The food was good, though we were put off by the green tinge to the mussels in the seafood pasta. In the UK this is a sign that they are "off". Apparently not so in CA. The waiter's advice on the food was spot on and excellent.
- Nostalgic Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/14/2014It was nice to see how Downtown SJ has grown and advance,and the St Claire Hotel and the restaurant within Il Fornaio makes it proud and elegant. Nice dinning experience for the elderly and young. Nice mix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RushingComfortZoneVIPDined on 9/14/2014Unfortunately, we arrived late and had tickets to one of the last shows for Wicked. There were 7 of us, including 3 children and a 90+ senior. We all wished we had time to sit and enjoy the food and ambiance. But, the wait team was very respectful of our time constraints and service piping hot food in a jiffy that tasted very good. We'll have to return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hostess and waiter were greathpycmprDined on 9/13/2014The hostess was able to accommodate a party of 7 thirty minutes earlier than the scheduled reservation,which was appreciated as we were with our aging parents. She was pleasant even though the restaurant was busy and crowded. The waiter was also outstanding and helpful. Great personality and made good suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea bassCasualDinerDined on 9/11/2014I ordered sea bass and I doubt that it was sea bass. The staff admitted it was not Chilean sea bass. Nice preparation but poor quality of fish - barely edible. I have eaten at the Palo Alto and San Jose locations many times but I will never return to the San Jose location. I have zero tolerance for restaurants serving poor quality seafood.Special Features:
- Bread and service were excellentNatiVIPDined on 9/9/2014Pasta and salad came out quickly which was a pleasant surprise but they were both bland. So disappointed!
- Molto Bene!foodfriendlyDined on 9/9/2014I love Il Fornaio. The menu is interesting and the wait staff helpful and efficient. The restaurant is beautiful and lively. I especially enjoyed the sea bass asparagus saffron risotto. The fish was perfectly cooked, and tender asparagus and grape tomatoes were a lovely contrast to the saffron rice. Great place for a lingering meal or before a show. Wait staff asked if we were headed to a performance and made sure we were served, without feeling rushed, with time to spare. Great dining experience all around.Special Features:
- Poor Service-Food sent backOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2014Came here for brunch before a performance of Wicked downtown, service was poor, eggs had to be sent back to get corrected and generally a bad experience. Dissapointing since we have been to other locations many times with no issuse. Must have been a bad day.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2014The service was good and fast (almost too fast) but at least we had time to enjoy our meal and finish leisurely before going to the opera. Last time we were here we waited and waited and wondered if we would finish in time. So the chef and service has improved. The lobster bisque was not tasty.
- Excellent as alwaysCynthiaCDined on 9/6/2014Our server asked right away if we were there prior to a show (we were) so she could make sure we were out on time. She gave us excellent suggestions for food, and the new dishes were EXCELLENT. Our only complaint was the Butternut Squash Ravioli was only warm while the pesto pasta was piping hot - but all were still delicious including wine, coffee and dessert. Server was attentive, food was brought quickly, we never felt rushed, and were were out in time for opening night at the opera.Special Features:
- FootLooseVIPDined on 9/6/2014Service was outstanding. Be sure to sit in Rumi's section.Special Features:
- Food PoorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Service great! Food was horrible. This restaurant has gone down hill. Sorry to right this review but we all were not happy with the food.
- Waited way too long for our foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/5/2014We waited a while for our food. There was a show going on downtown and i think people attending the show were given preference. I said "I think," can't confirm that. I ordered the sea bass and it was raw in the middle. My order wasn't comp'd but we were offered free dessert. A little disappointing. Our server did a good job.
- Location worksdocvicDined on 9/3/2014Definitely this restaurant capitalizes on its location...not a keeper.
- So disappointing!FoodLoverVIPDined on 9/3/2014We have eaten at Il Fornaio in Seattle many times, and consider it one of our favorite go to spots for a consistently delicious and enjoyable meal. We now live in San Jose, but expected to be equally as pleased in choosing the location here. While the service was fine (only mixed up one dish and immediately fixed it), the food was incredibly disappointing. One of the things that has always impressed me is that while Il Fornaio is considered a 'chain', it never felt like one...until this experience. Pasta was overcooked, vodka sauce (usually, my favorite), was watery, steak, while tender and perfectly cooked, lacked flavor. The salad was the best part of my meal. Considering we 'splurged' for this special occasion...unfortunate experience.
- Always great512damonVIPDined on 9/1/2014My wife and I decided we like Il Fornaio over Original Joe's. Joe's may have the cooler brand, but Il Fornaio has a fresher menu, better service, and equally if not better food. Joe's get stale with the exact same menu for years and years.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/1/2014While the food and atmosphere were excellent, the service was practically non-existent. The servers were courteous and professional, but nowhere to be found, seemed to always be waiting for them to return to the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGeorgeVIPDined on 8/30/2014We dined here (again), this time an early dinner after a matinee performance of Wicked. Food and service were excellent as usual. The restaurant was nearly full by the time we left, which is always a good sign.Special Features:
- Formerly great, now bland foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/29/2014Great setting and the food used to be phenomenal. My wife and I took my college-aged son for his birthday. All 3 of us had different dishes, 2 from the specials and one from their normal menu. All of us agreed that our food was well prepared, beautifully plated, and very bland. The red sauce on the pasta tasted like just plain tomato; the fish was well cooked but tasteless with no flavor to the sauce, and the meat dish was the same. The breads are great and we used to love this place, but we won't be back. Too many other great options to choose from.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014Even tho it's a chain, Il Fornaio is still a very good Italian eatery....and each location is different. We've dined at most of their Bay Area restaurants and haveen disappointed. Our most recent pre-theater dinner in San Jose was no exception. And it's close to CPA.
- Always excellent ...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014You simply can't go wrong here ... the venue is lovely, the service attentive, the menu varied and expertly prepared, the wine list is thoughtful, and the overall attention to detail and willingness to "go the extra mile" is palpable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at the St. ClaireiolavolaVIPDined on 8/27/2014We had a very good meal. The service was wonderful, the ambiance lovely and we were asked if we needed to be somewhere at a specific time so that they could accommocate us in a timely manner. I have been to this restaurant numerous times and have never been disappointed in their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great time but........BillybassoonDined on 8/22/2014Had a marvelous dinner celebrating daughters birthday. Great wine, great food and tiramasu to die for. Great ambience. Only disappointment is that a number of guests dress like they are going out to McDonalds. Il Fornaio Is a classy place but seeing an overweight guy sitting in the waiting area dressed in a wife beater tee shirt was not appetizing. How about "no sleeves on shirt, no service."Special Features:
- My Favorite Il Fornio SiteOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/21/2014Delicious Italian food, wonderful service, and old world atmosphere matching St. Claire. Have tried the Il Fornio chain at most of their Bay Area locations and Las Vegas. The team, food, and service always is above a notch from the other locations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pre-show dinnerJenLDDined on 8/20/2014The restaurant is located inside the historic and beautiful Hotel St. Claire. The bread, pasta and pizza were terrific and the service very considerate of our wish to make an 8pm show.Special Features:
- disappointed in one of our old favsmjhy2kDined on 8/17/2014This has always been a good place to eat. Our last visit was not. Pasta was cold! Even after being told the plate is hot it just came out of our pizza oven. The plate wasn't hot. Water tasted like chlorine even after the second glass that the waiter brought. He finally brought me bottled water (complimentary) The service was ok, but we could tell the servers were stretched with no bus help. Our table was on a very busy, narrow isle. We probably won't go back.
- After Theater DinnerOutAndAboutDined on 8/17/2014Il Fornaio was the perfect restaurant choice after a California Theater matinee. The table selection was honored and reservation made flexible due to the show's end. Despite a long line, we were immediately seated and then enjoyed a pre-arranged Proseco toast. Our waiter was gracious and well informed about the menu, even describing the peperocino sauce made for the Petto Di Pollo dish. The food arrived hot and delicious. Only the service by the staff assistants was sorely lacking. Orders for lemon and iced tea were forgotten despite numerous reminders and waiter apologies. At the end of our dinner a complimentary 90th birthday dessert complete with candles arrived. It was a perfect ending for a special celebration.Special Features:
- Slow service & overcooked appetizerJust4dinnerDined on 8/17/2014We were shown to a nice table, but we were confused over who our waiter was. The waiter we ended up with was not very attentive and we had long waits between items served. We started with calamari, which seemed to take a long time in coming. It was overcooked and the tubes and tentacles were quite small and slightly burnt, not what I expected. While strolling to the restroom, I noticed two ladies seated at a table with a plate of calamari, large pieces cooked to a light golden brown, the way I am used to seeing. I noticed other tables who had arrived after us being served, but we continued to wait. The entree was fine, decent portions. We never had dessert, it took 15 min for the waiter to bring dessert menus and we ran out of time.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014It's a little expensive, but the food and service were very good. The menu, however is limited and could be expanded to include some ordinary Italian dishes.Special Features: