Il Fornaio - San Jose
302 South Market St.
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - San Jose
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 4082713366
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:30am, Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Italian
- Executive Chef: Claudio Zorloni
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Il Fornaio offers full service off-site catering. Please contact the Il Fornaio catering department at (408)271-3350.
- Cross Street: San Carlos St.
- Public Transit: City bus stops are located nearby
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet is available; the cost is $8 for the first 2 hours, and then posted rates thereafter. There is also complimentary validated parking in the convention center parking structure, then the city will charge for the third hour and then full price after three hours. There is also street parking available,
A word from Il Fornaio - San Jose
Il Fornaio means "The Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2013.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornaio - San Jose reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (124)good for groups (86)fit for foodies (57)romantic (56)great for lunch (50)neighborhood gem (47)notable wine list (43)great for brunch (40)kid-friendly (23)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- disappointed in one of our old favsmjhy2kDined on 8/17/2014This has always been a good place to eat. Our last visit was not. Pasta was cold! Even after being told the plate is hot it just came out of our pizza oven. The plate wasn't hot. Water tasted like chlorine even after the second glass that the waiter brought. He finally brought me bottled water (complimentary) The service was ok, but we could tell the servers were stretched with no bus help. Our table was on a very busy, narrow isle. We probably won't go back.
- After Theater DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014Il Fornaio was the perfect restaurant choice after a California Theater matinee. The table selection was honored and reservation made flexible due to the show's end. Despite a long line, we were immediately seated and then enjoyed a pre-arranged Proseco toast. Our waiter was gracious and well informed about the menu, even describing the peperocino sauce made for the Petto Di Pollo dish. The food arrived hot and delicious. Only the service by the staff assistants was sorely lacking. Orders for lemon and iced tea were forgotten despite numerous reminders and waiter apologies. At the end of our dinner a complimentary 90th birthday dessert complete with candles arrived. It was a perfect ending for a special celebration.Special Features:
- Slow service & overcooked appetizerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014We were shown to a nice table, but we were confused over who our waiter was. The waiter we ended up with was not very attentive and we had long waits between items served. We started with calamari, which seemed to take a long time in coming. It was overcooked and the tubes and tentacles were quite small and slightly burnt, not what I expected. While strolling to the restroom, I noticed two ladies seated at a table with a plate of calamari, large pieces cooked to a light golden brown, the way I am used to seeing. I noticed other tables who had arrived after us being served, but we continued to wait. The entree was fine, decent portions. We never had dessert, it took 15 min for the waiter to bring dessert menus and we ran out of time.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014It's a little expensive, but the food and service were very good. The menu, however is limited and could be expanded to include some ordinary Italian dishes.Special Features:
- OurClubVIPDined on 8/14/2014Il Fornaio was wonderful on Thursday. The regional menu was fresh and served beautifully. The best part of Il Fornaio, San Jose is the staff. From the moment you are greeted at the door to the wait staff and manager, Cole it could not be better. We will be back go back very soon.Special Features:
- Made special occasion even better!DubtowngalVIPDined on 8/14/2014We had an impromptu dinner at Il Fornaio when our daughter got engaged to her girlfriend. The server was so attentive and offered them complimentary bubbly. The food was excellent -- two of us had the tasting menue for the night -- and the wine list also was good. We have had lunch there before and it is always a nice dining experience, but the service this visit made the special evening even better.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerauntieDined on 8/12/2014Always enjoy our meal at this restaurant. However, this time less than perfect and manager took 1/2 off my dinner as veal was tough! and not tender at all! Suggest you allow diners to enjoy happy hour prices at their dinner table. We could only partake of happy hour by sitting in the bar area and then going to our table for dinner!!! Crazy thing to do as we had made dinner reservations in advance, not just dropped in.Special Features:
- Great food but poor serviceJJK7VIPDined on 8/11/2014Great dining experience is not just delicious food, but service has to be great. We had dinner reservation @ 6:00 PM and it wasn't too busy from what we can see. We had to ask for butter, salt & pepper and water several times. Perhaps they were under staffed but it really was annoying to keep asking for things. As for the food, they never disappoint.. We all got pasta and they were all delicious.Special Features:
- 2nd Visit Slow ServiceVIP1000dinesVIPDined on 8/10/2014We had breakfast the day before and it was very good. Food still very good, however service was slow. Everyone pitched in and worked it out in the end.Special Features:
- Monthly Regional Menu is great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014My friend and I go to this restaurant as part of our mini-vacay weekend for the summer jazz fest. This is our second time in 3 years and we were happy to see that they had the monthly regional prix-fixe tasting menu available again. For the month of August, the selected region was Sardegna. We really enjoyed the food and the wine pairings. And, of course, Il Fornaio (if I remember correctly) was originally known for its bread!! I will say that, by the time the 3rd course came, we had pretty much reached our limit. We took one look at it when it was served and asked them to please bring some 'to-go' boxes for us. And we each had a GREAT lunch to take to work after the weekend!Special Features:
- Love Breakfast hereVIP1000dinesVIPDined on 8/9/2014Amazing fresh bread and breakfast items that won't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Five of us dined to celebrate a birthday. It was delicious food as usual, nice wine from the regional list, and the special birthday dessert was a surprise to the guest (I noted it was a birthday on the open table reservation form) so her name was spelled right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il FornaioPeterVIPDined on 8/5/2014Have to confess to being somewhat of a regular. Always find the food well prepared and service good. Also, this location is especially nice, in the old St Claire Hotel. This visit was to taste the food of Sardinia. Il Fornaio brings in regional foods several times a year, offered via a tasting menu - 3 course meal (or ala carte). Reasonably priced and delicious.... who could ask for more. Loved the half-glass option for the regional wines, allowing you to experience all the different wines, with over consumption. The entire experience gets 5 stars in my book....Special Features:
- Saturday at Il FornaioNYdinerDined on 8/2/2014Food was good, however, at 6:30 on a Saturday they were out of my first choice - the porterhouse steak... veal was a satisfactory second choiceSpecial Features:
- Pre-Performing Art Center DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/1/2014Great spot for a quick and yummy dinner before a performance. 1 LARGE block from the Performing Arts Center. Park under the Hilton in the Convention Center Parking lot for quick access after the performance.
- Perfect Late Afternoon RestaurantMVDinerVIPDined on 7/30/2014If you don't care what time you eat and want to avoid the lunch and dinner rush, then eat between 2pm and 5pm. It was a wonderful quiet experience.Special Features:
- Never DissapointscomfortfoodieDined on 7/29/2014I am always pleased with my Il Fornaio experience. I've come to expect new dishes on the menu and to always find my favorites - and they always deliver. The service is really attentive, just like being in a good friend's home. The portions are so generous - a true Italian restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/27/2014A favorite ours! Always great service and consistently good food; husband finds the Gluten free menu always has plenty of good choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Service was very good. They were helpful from the very beginning and throughout our dining experience. Very friendly and helpful. Good ambience by the window and near the kitchen area. My salmon was good and the portions were generous for lunch. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BusyDined on 7/24/2014The night we had dinner there, the air conditioning was not working. Pretty miserable on a hot day. Seems like they could have compensated the patrons in some way. Food was good and service was snappy. They asked if we were attending a sow, wich we were, so the service was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staying PowerRettsDined on 7/24/2014The location of this restaurant is more of a draw then its menu. It's near major venues, such as the Center for Performing Arts. It's convenient. Food is good, not great. Restaurant does have staying power.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodPSPtoSFOVIPDined on 7/19/2014Good compared to most of what San Jose has to offer, though for a special event I would still prefer eating up the peninsula or in San Francisco. Service was inattentive and slow.
- Great as alwaysSanJoseDined on 7/18/2014The passport menu is always fantastic. Happy hour has great drinks and food.Special Features:
- Great downtown gem.EatDowntownDined on 7/17/2014Fantastic dinner date downtown. The food, the wine and the desserts were all top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/17/2014We were on our way to the theater, and had reservations for dinner. The waiter was wonderful and the food was divine! We thoroughly enjoyed every moment!Special Features:
- Bev2Dined on 7/16/2014Fabulous as always! It's my go-to restaurant when I have event tickets, and for the monthly passport food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El Fornaio in San JoseLisaD1255Dined on 7/13/2014We went to El Fornaio prior to the Ringo Starr concert. Perfection - as our group was quite hungry and the waiter accommodated all our needs. I asked for a piece of cake for our birthday guest and they made sure we got it before departing for the show. Thank you for that! Made the evening quite special. Food was so good, wish we had more time, but we had to dash! :) We will come back again. Aces staff and servers. Overall I will give the restaurant a 10 out of 10.Special Features:
- Love That RestaurantiolavolaVIPDined on 7/13/2014I have never been disappointed in their food or service . This time was no exception.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/13/2014Horrible service. Waiter was completely disinterested in serving us.
- Fabulous retro decorOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/12/2014Il Fornaio in San Jose is in an old building reminiscent of the 1930s, with wood and marble dividers and paneling - and they have modernized aspects of it as well to keep it up-to-date and fresh looking. It's the same good food, wonderful bread, good Italian wines, and comfortable atmosphere as other Il Fornaio restaurants - a sure thing. We greatly enjoyed our dinner--the spumoni ice cream for dessert is a must. We ordered several of the Veneto regional specialties dishes and received a jar of sea salt mix as a gift, very nice and a surprise; also a little "passport" to be stamped each time we take part in one of the regional offers (each month), and there is a raffle at completion for a trip to Italy.Special Features:
- Excellent Italian Spot!aloha8o8Dined on 7/12/2014I've been to other Il Fornaio locations but this one tops it off! Excellent service, ambiance, and delicious food! I reserved a table for 15 for my post graduation lunch and the table was ready with a zero wait time. It was quiet in the restaurant and no one in my party had to wave a waiter down; the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Jose mustNormVIPDined on 7/7/2014A great place to eat Italian with regional menus. Food is tasty and a selection great selection of wine.Special Features:
- service slowKittyODined on 7/5/2014I like this restaurant (chain) but the service was very slow that night. May because one big group was there. A bit noisy, too. Except for these issues, this restaurant is good. I like Il Fornaio restaurant in other locations especially in Burlingame, Palo Alto and Del Mar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shirleyDined on 7/2/2014we had one more person than we had made reservations for. Accomodation was quick and friendly. We had sat in traffic for 2 hours giving us a very short time for dinner...again accomodation was responsive and done with grace. We had two handicapped women in the party and they were treated just like everyone else. Thank you for a pleasant meal with you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeGoodFood4UsDined on 7/1/2014Always love Il Fornaio! First time at this one & didn't disappoint in terms of food, service & ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!love2eatDined on 6/27/2014Love this restaurant! Especially for special occasions/celebrations. Food is excellent! Service is usually superb. Would have been nice if the special risotto could have been made w/o wine in it... so it could be ordered for those who cannot have wine in their diet (even if it's cooked in the sauce).Special Features:
- Too much GarlicstephinnycDined on 6/27/2014I ordered an ahi tuna salad. Way over dressed with garlic. Nice portion of tuna.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed AgainEstesDined on 6/26/2014A few years ago I stopped going to Il Fornaio because I had repeated experiences of mediocre service and disappointing entrees. I went back this time only because of a request from my guest. While our waiter was very attentive without being overly obtrusive and was very professional and while the food was an improvement over my past experiences, overall the dining experience was somewhat disappointing. The lasagna was watery, the spinach was tough (overcooked?) and it took over an hour for us to be served our entrees despite the restaurant being almost empty during the entire time we were there (arrived 6:15 PM and the entrees were served around 7:25 PM). We had a 8 PM theater engagement so we had 15 minutes to eat our entrees.
- Not good for kidsFoodie2mamaDined on 6/22/2014The service was extremely slow and reminded me why we hadn't been in over 10 years. We won't be going back. If you like good food but want to wait for > 3 hours for only a 3 course meal, you should dine here.
- Bad WaiterwawaDined on 6/22/2014My water cup stayyed empty for a very long time. Took forever to get me my crushed red pepper that I asked for. After payying the bill, they took forever to collect my money. I needed change. Another waiter had to come pick it up and do his transaction for the original waiter. Food was great!