Il Fornaio - San Francisco
1265 Battery St
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 4159860100x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am -2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Ivan Giansante
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For delivery and pick-up orders please call 415 986 0100. Full service catering is also available.
- Special Events: Wine Dinners and cooking classes held every month - please call for date & time.
A word from Il Fornaio - San Francisco
Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornaio - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (35)neighborhood gem (23)special occasion (22)great for lunch (21)fit for foodies (17)romantic (17)great for outdoor dining (17)great for brunch (16)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (6)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Regular CustomerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/17/2014We eat at Il Fornaio restaurants regularly--both the Burlingame and the San Francisco location. The food is always fresh and very tasty. This time, we brought along a free coupon for birthday Tiramasu and also our Open Table Checks, so the meal was very affordable.Special Features:
- Kid FriendlyCicagnaDined on 9/6/2014Good place for a dinner with kids. Nice outside space and restaurant provided a good location in the restaurant for a group with children.Special Features:
- mediocre foodrobertpaulVIPDined on 9/3/2014Nothing was prepared well....salad had too little dressing....veal was not cooked properly.....pasta was dry....overall a very mediocre dining experience.
- Way too much saltOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014Brought a couple of new work colleagues here to celebrate a promotion. I ordered the special risotto but it was so salty I could barely eat it. Being with new people from work I did not want to send it back and make a scene but I wish I had. Watch the salt!
- AvoidOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014The food here is terrible. Worst cannelloni I have ever had. Spinach and chicken flavors didn't meld and too much flavorless sauce. Bologna sauce was way too salty and the calamari were very greasy and not crisp. The place was almost empty at 7:45 PM on a Thursday night in high tourist season. Easy to see why. Absolutely avoid.
- Very nice and consistent.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/13/2014I always enjoy il fornaio. The breads and salads are great. Pasta and main courses are great too!
- don't have onedonothaveoneDined on 7/27/2014had a lo-ong brunch, with friendly service, and were not sent away for overextending our stay, it was an unhurried Sunday middaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff is Great!thereaderkatDined on 7/18/2014We come here once or twice a month and the staff always makes us feel welcome whether we show up at a normal dinner time or late night. The food is good and usually there are one or two creative suggestions. Best of all is the spumoni!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wasn't impressedBarbieVIPDined on 7/5/2014Three of us dined and my meal seemed to be the best. The other's just thought it was OK. Where were all the people on a Saturday night over the holiday?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/4/2014Service was bad.RFood was mediocre.Food wait was very long.
- Best dinner place in San FranciscoPhilDined on 7/1/2014We attended a conference and went to dinner here. The food was great and the service was amazing. I recommend this place to anyone who is looking for good food and a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014I found the overall experience exceptional. All aspects of my experence (food, wine, service, ambience) were exceptional. We took our time eating, ordered with help from the waiter, never once felt rushed, and completely enjoyed the experience. I highly recommend Il fornaio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SammyDined on 6/24/2014always the perfect spot for a business lunch or lunch with friend.Special Features:
- Lovely place food 2nd rateMttoolDined on 6/21/2014Seemed like cheap seafood and no flavor complexity worth bringing me back. The bread was exceptional. Are lovely gracious waitress's was the best service person I've ever had. Belarus is her home country I can't remember her name shes just adorable.Special Features:
- YummyYummyDined on 6/17/2014This restaurant provided everything we were looking for; an interior that allowed us to hear the conversation, excellent food and wine, very good service without interfering or rushing us.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/10/2014I loved their bread, hot & fresh out the oven. The food was also delicious and tasty. We would definitely go there to eat again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/10/2014I have been coming here for years and it is like old faithful - consistently excellent. I like the location, the decor, the service, and the food very much. Wine is excellent as well.Special Features:
- Nice setting with a waterfall!DocLauraDined on 6/8/2014Apparently part of an Italian chain (ie in Italy). Alaskan cod perfect, butternut squash ravioli also very good. Server too busy, did a good but breathless job! Lovely covered patio would be awesome for brunch/lunch as opens on a private square with a waterfall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old standbyCream2puffVIPDined on 6/8/2014Lovely ambiance and very good food. More diners would add to the enjoyment of eating at this restaurant.Special Features:
- Not as good as Walnut Creekteapotty50Dined on 6/5/2014Meal was very disappointing. Ordered off special menu, food too salty, balance of flavors not good. Companions food likewise not great for the price. Also they didn't have my reservation. Have never been disappointed at Il Fornaio in Walnut Creek.Special Features:
- Great ItalianAlexandAmyDined on 6/4/2014This is a beautiful restaurant very close to where we live, steps away from The Embarcadero in Levi's Plaza. We were expecting just good Italian food. What we got was AMAZING Sicilian inspired food presented in an elegant setting. Their pasta is obviously fresh made, and prepared with such great care and fresh ingredients that make the dishes extraordinary. Every thing we ordered was fantastic. All complimented by great, attentive service, great drinks, and a quiet but welcoming atmosphere. It is also pretty great to be greeted by an actual Italian when you arrive. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlanOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/4/2014Regional seasonal cooking is worth looking out for. Very accommodating to specific dietary needs. Great service, very good food.Special Features:
- Still good after many yearsBeantownGuyDined on 5/24/2014I have been enjoying dinners at Il Fornaio for many years - and I have never hesitated returning. I enjoy Saturday evenings as street parking is never an issue, and the restaurant isn't packed - very peaceful and enjoyable. Their daily specials are always worth considering, but the standard menu will certainly have something to offer that will please everyone. The wait staff are excellent, and their recommendations haven't steered me wrong yet. Very reasonable pricesSpecial Features:
- The following 951 reviews are from the Il Fornaio - San Francisco reviews archive.
- Excellent!SusanVIPDined on 5/18/2014Il Fornaio has an excellent brunch menu but we chose from the main menu. The roast chicken and the cannelloni were delicious. The atmosphere is comfortable and the service was attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- GREAT EVENT RESTAURANTDAVESDINNERDined on 5/17/2014I'VE HAD THREE GRADUATION DINNERS AND A 21ST BIRTHDAY DINNER AT IL FORNAIO. EVERY TIME THE SERVICE HAS BEEN FRIENDLY AND RESPONSIVE, THE FOOD VERY GOOD WITH A GOOD SELECTION, AND THE WINE CAN BE TERRIFIC. THIS TIME THE WHITE WINE MENU WAS FAIR, BUT THE RED WAS VERY GOOD. FOR EVENTS THE RESTAURANT IS VERY FLEXIBLE AND WILL GET WHAT YOU WANT. I'D GO BACK IN A HEARTBEAT!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/14/2014Excellent service - the manager was extremelly responsive to our requests and service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingUlysseDined on 5/11/2014We traditionally eat here for Mother's day and are happy with the experience. This Mother's day (5-11-14) we were seated promptly and ordered but had to wait over an hour for the food to arrive. My wife, the mother, wanted brazen but by 6:15 pm there was none left. In excusable. It was a pretty tedious experience. If the restaurant can't handle Mother's day crowds it should cut back on its advertising.Special Features:
- child friendlyladidaDined on 5/11/2014child friendly place to go for brunch. love the outdoor area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fast LunchdjshaferVIPDined on 5/1/2014We had a great lunch and in and out of there within an hour (even with dessert at the end). They know people are on their lunch hour, and they deliver great service to make it work. Thanks.Special Features:
- CelebrationJeffDined on 4/28/2014We have had several meals at Il Fornaio and several celebratory dinners. The staff has always been wonderful. This lunch was a small wedding party and we couldn't have been better cared for. I heartily recommend Il Fornaio for any meal, esp. for celebrations!Special Features:
- The best Italian restaurant in SF.AwesomeDined on 4/22/2014I went into this restaurant by accident and this was one of the best Italian restaurant that I have ever been too. The service, ambiance, bread, food everything is great.Special Features:
- Il Fornaio Restaurant--Battery ST4gutesessenDined on 4/20/2014This is a favorite of ours--we schedule monthly visits during the time of the Regional Dinner Offerings. This provides us with a tasting of the various cuisines of each region in Italy, which are quite differing and unique from each other. The staff is especially friendly, attentive and well-informed of both the differing menu offerings as well as the accompanying regional wines. A pleasant side perk is the accompanying food-oriented gift to the "passporto-carrying" guests.Special Features:
- Terrific as UsualMindilLewDined on 4/20/2014We enjoy gathering at Il Fornaio as a family with folks coming from both north and south SF areas. The restaurant is comfortable. There is a broad enough selection to satisfy our vegan, vegetarian and carnivores and foodies like me in the family. The service is good as well. We will continue meeting here for our family events for sure. It is a beautiful setting and I like the feel of coming to an established San Francisco area favorite.Special Features:
- Great for brunchFoodloverDined on 4/20/2014HAs a wonderfulEaster brunch. Great atmosphere and the "greenhouse area" makes you feel outside yet in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- favorite spot in the areaMarcVIPDined on 4/12/2014I really like this restaurant, not only due to its food, but also due to its service The pizza is highly recommendable, since it is not an American one, always have a look at the seasonal menu, since it is related to an Italian regionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat to visit IlNancyVIPDined on 4/2/2014Always a treat to visit Il Fornaio. The service is great, the dining room and patio are lovely and the menu is huge and there is something to tantalize everyone. The salads are amazing as are the pastas. We go back again and again.Special Features:
- Convenient LocationFogjazzDined on 3/30/2014Il Fornaio may never win a James Beard award, but the location and low traffic does make it a convenient place for a decent meal and a good quiet talk. Our brunch was good even if nothing especially creative. The only minor disappointment was the service, the one poor overworked waitress simply could not get around to all of the tables frequently enough. Maybe with a menu update they could pull in a little more business to justify some added staffing?Special Features:
- Great find near EmbarcaderoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/28/2014This place is a hidden gem in open sight near Embarcadero. The food was great. Wonderful small plates and small size pasta options make this a great place to dine. Top that with a wonderful wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch was excellentJudyDined on 3/25/2014service was great, food was delicious, love Il Fo.Special Features:
- This is a real find that'sAddieVIPDined on 3/15/2014This is a real find that's been there a long time. Not noisy, good food and wine, easy parking. Def. a repeat.Special Features: