Il Fornaio - Reston
11990 Market Street
Reston, VA 20190Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Reston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 7034375544x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am; Lunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Roberto Gerbino
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Il Fornaio - Reston
In the tradition of Italy's trattorias, the sight, sounds and aromas of authentic Italian cuisine are recreated fresh everyday at Il Fornaio. Literally "the baker" in Italian, Il Fornaio offers wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade and imported pastas; pizzas from a wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; antipasti and a wide variety of desserts made daily from scratch. The first two weeks of each month a special menu from a different region of Italy is featured as part of Festa Regionale.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornaio - Reston reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (88)great for outdoor dining (73)neighborhood gem (66)good for groups (65)fit for foodies (63)notable wine list (55)romantic (55)great for lunch (48)great for brunch (27)vibrant bar scene (26)kid-friendly (25)hot spot (21)late-night find (11)scenic view (8)Show More
- Great food and atmosphere!HforisDined on 9/26/2014We went to Il Fornaio to celebrate my mom's birthday. The service and food were excellent. They even invited my kid's to the chef station to make their own pizzas. This was a big hit and fun way to start the night. Thanks for making the dinner so enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance Fantastic - Food EhOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2014I was really excited to go here but unfortunately I don't think I will be returning anytime soon. The ambiance, service, general environment were all great. However, the food was nothing impressive and way overpriced for the quality. I could have done better at home. However, if I do go back, I will probably try the bar as it looked very cool and inviting. Also - they do have a wonderful wine selection!Special Features:
- Great italian foodNoPieforThanksgivingDined on 9/20/2014the food was excellent, more truly italian then many italian restaurants in the area. Being there for my birthday they even gave me a complimentary dessert, an esquisite tiramisu'. The ambiance was relaxing with soft lighting and sound. The rasberry martini was wonderful. I had risotto with shrimp and mushroom and it was superb! A just right portion with awesome flaver.Special Features:
- (Not) for Special OccasionWhats4SupperDined on 9/17/2014I was disappointed that a restaurant that likes to consider itself a place to go for special occasions was able to get the special request on the reservation (a quiet table for a birthday-they sat us next to the front door), food (the chicken was overly salted and very dry - it was like it had been under a heat lamp for over 30 min), AND service (they couldn't describe or recommend any of the dishes) so wrong . I had been there before and had decent pasta meals, but did not want pasta, so I ordered the stuffed chicken special. I could only eat half of it. They did offer a free dessert, which I appreciated. I expected better quality and service. The Macaroni Grill may not have the ambiance, but the entrees and service are better.Special Features:
- Great ItalianFamilyof3VIPDined on 9/12/2014Always our go to for Italian and great service! We did not like the lobster bisque which tasted too much like fish soup but they quickly took it back and gave us dessert on the house. Manager came by two times to make sure we were happy and they always do. Fantastic salad and dinner!!Special Features:
- Lovely spot for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2014Easily accommodated our group of 10. Tried the french toast and omelette. Both were very good. Wait staff was very friendly and prices were reasonable for good food and a nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedbigguyDined on 9/6/2014Welcome,food and service are superb at Il Forrnaio in Reston, VA. We've been here with large family group, friends and just ourselves and we have never had a bad experience. I heartily recommend this restaurant to all my friends and family--don't miss it!Special Features:
- First bad experiencezanexecVIPDined on 9/5/2014Took clients to dinner on Friday night and was very disappointed. The waiter was too rushed and the place was crowded. Not enough attention to detail, wine glasses left on the table, forgetting silverware, no spoon with gelato, etc. But the worst was the kitchen....my meal came not as I ordered, but burnt and inedible. Pastas for some of the guests were fine, but lacked again attention to the small things that make this restaurant a nice place to visit.Special Features:
- A Perfect OutingSueBooDined on 9/3/2014We have been fans of the Il Fornaio restaurants from San Francisco to San Jose, and now Reston. Very authentic Italian menu, beautiful breads, and great events - including seasonal, celebratory and cooking classes! But we just wanted a nice, quiet evening with good food and good service and that's what we got on a balmy night, sitting outside at Il Fornaio Reston (because it can get a little noisy inside)! We chose the Three Course Prix Fixe Meal and the Three Wine flight and couldn't fault it. Added to superb service it is one of our faves.Special Features:
- Off NightTAB1115Dined on 9/1/2014This must have been an off night for them because we have a had a good experience in the past. There weren't many people in the restaurant at all but the service was ridiculously slow. Food was mediocre at best. It was like the staff was unhappy to be there on a slow night. I will think twice before going back now.Special Features:
- CathyDined on 9/1/2014Great food as always... wonderful service. Wine list could be enhanced.Special Features:
- Good location and ambianceTeresaDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed our lunch, the service was excellent and the food very tasty. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- way too fastdisappointedDined on 8/28/2014I was very disappointed in Il Fornaio this time (we had been there before). We had selected it as a midway point to meet two people from out of town, one of whom we were meeting for the first time. As a result, I had asked for a table where we could talk in the hope we could sit and enjoy our conversation during and after dinner. Ironically, the restaurant was less crowded and thus quieter than usual, so we would have been able to talk. The problem was that we were hurried through our meal. The first course came immediately and the second course came while I was still eating my first course (the others had just finished). We felt rushed so we ate quickly and left. This is not the experience we had expected when we selected Il Fornaio.
- DisappointedFussyVIPDined on 8/28/2014Il Fornaio is one of our favorite local restaurants and we go often. This time we took advantage of the happy hour menu, and sitting outside on a lovely summer evening. All of the appetizers were great, as usual. We ordered the personal pizzas for our entree. Not up to par. Doughy crust. Toppings not melted through. Our waitress had to be asked or reminder for everything. Again not typical, but I thought it was worth noting since consistency is important if we are to continue to be regular diners.Special Features:
- Great food and placefoodloverDined on 8/26/2014I had a business lunch at 1pm on Sept. 26th and the food was excellent. The service was average only because our very kind waitress only checked-in on us a few times. The most annoying part was one of the chefs banging on something quite loudly (apparently prepping/chopping something) for more than 20 minutes which really disrupted our lunch. Hopefully that was a rare occasion because otherwise the food and atmosphere was very nice.Special Features:
- IL Fornaio deliversLove2eatDined on 8/23/2014We found this place checking the Il Fornaio's website to see if they had expanded farther west than NV. We were delighted to find that it had opened in VA and found that it maintained the high quality we were used to. We can claim now to have eaten at all their restaurants in CA, NV and VA! The service is outstanding and their Italian fare has become comfort food to us as it bring us great memories of our years in CA. Even though we are watching our weight, we had a three-meal course. How can't you not? Everything in the menu is irresistible. I hope they will bring back the rabbit with pancetta and the Valentino desert. They are oldies, but they are good.Special Features:
- WowGlutenFreeVADined on 8/23/2014My husband took me here as a surprise. I am gluten intollerant and eat a strict GF diet, I was very surprised and impressed with the size and quality of the GF menu - not just salads and naked burgers. The Pasta alla Vodka was to die for. The wait staff was polite and not intrusive, management came to talk to us - I could not have been happier. Plan on going again soon to celebrate my husband's birthday!Special Features:
- Favorite Restaurant AroundChrisDined on 8/22/2014My wife and I love this place, and it is always at the top of our list when deciding on where to spend our date nights. The service is always excellent , even the managers take their time to come around to say hello. We have never had a bad meal and cannot get enough of certain dishes (my wife loves the Penoni Alla Vodka while I keep coming back for the Tagliata). It's tough not to fill up on their delicious bread and we highly recommend the calamari. Overall, you just cannot go wrong by going to Il Fornaio for a night out.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014Great Service and delicious meals. Great for celebrating special occasions as we did for birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Servie--Food OkayDrewDined on 8/21/2014Our waiter; Aaron was amazing! He knew when to stop by and check in on our table--very knowledgable of the menu (wines too!) Food was a bit bland--they changed their bread seletion, it's okay. I'll be back-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServicesweeteatsDined on 8/19/2014Brian was the perfect server -- he was a great help with menu suggestions and was encouraging with our additions to our entries. He even had the bartender come up with a lovely non-alcoholic, non-soda lunch drink. We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- blahjaceDined on 8/17/2014I wish I'd gone up the street to Ted's Bulletin for better food, atmosphere, & more reasonable pricing. Never again.
- Great food but....LoveItalianDined on 8/16/2014The food is excellent and so is the service but wish they would find some ways to cut down on the noise. For such a nice restaurant it is much too noisy and difficult to hear if you sit inside. For this reason we chose to sit outside but had to wait for a table even after making a reservation.Special Features:
- AmuseDined on 8/16/2014We were a family of 6 celebrating a birthday and had impeccable service and great ambiance !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice location but bad foodJessi22Dined on 8/16/2014I would not recommend this place at all. I ordered the a chicken dish it was AWFUL... I asked for something else Lasagna it was even worst...Special Features:
- YummyMaryVIPDined on 8/15/2014I have to say the best Italian restaurant in VA. Coming from New York this has been a great find. Must visit :)Special Features:
- WaltVIPDined on 8/15/2014We've written so many accolades about the service, management, kitchen and wine list that it is better to give you the bottom line: Simply one of the best, most consistent restaurants in northern Virginia.Special Features:
- Food excellent, service mehSkierMomArlingtonDined on 8/14/2014I hosted a business lunch for three people. It was a beautiful day, so we sat outside. Our server - even our bus-people - must have been having a bad day. The service overall was fine - not speedy but horribly slow. Besides the speed needing improvement - so did the general attitude of the service. Everyone seemed grumpy, and just going through the motions. Even the initial "Welcome to Il Fornaio - is this your first time dining with us" was scripted monotone. You could tell she really didn't care. No one ever asked if we wanted anything to drink besides the water on the table. Meantime - the food was great. I had a wonderful chopped salad and a great flatbread. My companions had pasta dishes and were very pleased with them both.Special Features:
- Group meetingluvtexasDined on 8/12/2014A group of 8 colleagues dined here last evening. The service was prompt, timely and overall quite good. The food was trendy and tasty. The resturant had several groups of 6 to 8 and thus the noise level was high. I didn't mind because our group was involved in the noise, but I would not be good comforatable if I were in a smaller group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice placeYaay4dateniteDined on 8/11/2014This restaurant is super nice! The pictures on the website don't do it justice at all. Friendly staff, delicious food, great ambience, an overall winner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family DineralasDined on 8/9/2014We wanted a different restaurant and this was our first time at Il Fornaio. We decided to spend our wedding anniversary with our kids, sister and nephew. We made reservations on-line and it was our first time doing that as well. The restaurant is very nice, service was outstanding ad food was delicious. The only little thing that my wife did not liked was that the lighting in the dinning area we were seated was too dimmed.Special Features:
- Very nice, a bit noisy!LoveItalyDined on 8/9/2014The food and service was excellent. We liked not feeling rushed! It was European style, slow down and enjoy life!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service, great food!KdubfoodieDined on 8/9/2014From the moment that we walked in, we were treated so well. From the outstanding hostesses, to the engaging and knowledgeable wait staff, the service was great. Plus, the manager stopped by to check on us and was very friendly. The food itself was excellent as well. We definitely recommend Il fornaio for a date night.Special Features:
- Always goodSallyEDined on 8/7/2014We went to Il Fornaio for our anniversary. The food was delicious and the service was great. Not our first time there. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- morandcVIPDined on 7/26/2014Another excellent meal & continued superb service. Came to Il Fornaio for "date night" and we were not disappointed. We took advantage of their "no corkage fee" month & brought our own high end Italian wine. Our waiter was happy to decant it & serve it like it came from their cellar. Selected two entree's from their monthly specials & were not disappointed. Clearly the service was the highlight & the food & ambience added to the evening. Remains a favorate in Reston Town Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingUvagradDined on 7/26/2014Il Fornaio has the vibe of a great Italian restaurant, but several entrees we got just didn't have much taste, or were unappealing. Very disappointing. Another grilled dish was very salty. Calamari appetizer was good. Otherwise three of us hardly ate any of our meal.
- Great service with fantastic foodboyd4305Dined on 7/25/2014My first trip to Il Fornaio will not be my last. I really enjoyed the service, atmosphere and food. Great wine list and friendly staff. I'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Lovely experienceDCDinerDined on 7/19/2014The food is fresh and delicious, the wine list is varied, and the service is warm. Love this restaurant!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our eveningJosyVIPDined on 7/19/2014Good food, terrific service, our waiter was very helpful & polite, enjoyed the wine but noise level very high in back roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor presentation & lacking flavorDebraVIPDined on 7/18/2014We have dined at Il Fornaio many times, one of my husbands favorites. I have to say we were both extremely disappointed in our dish. I had the 3 course special and chose the heirloom tomato salad, the ravioli, and the sole with mushrooms and polenta for about $35. Were were told the first two entrees were tasting size (very small) and the third entree was full size, and it was large. The tomato's were mushy, the 2 pieces of ravioli were very good, and the sole was flavorless. Two large pieces of polenta and four pieces of fish and mushrooms. Were was the color? The flavor? No green, no yellow like in a lemon... I had to ask for lemon for my fish which helped the flavor. I believe it's time for a new chef! We won't be back, sad to say.Special Features: