Il Fornaio - Reston
11990 Market Street
Reston, VA 20190Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Reston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 7034375544x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am; Lunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Roberto Gerbino
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Il Fornaio - Reston
In the tradition of Italy's trattorias, the sight, sounds and aromas of authentic Italian cuisine are recreated fresh everyday at Il Fornaio. Literally "the baker" in Italian, Il Fornaio offers wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade and imported pastas; pizzas from a wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; antipasti and a wide variety of desserts made daily from scratch. The first two weeks of each month a special menu from a different region of Italy is featured as part of Festa Regionale.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornaio - Reston reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)great for outdoor dining (76)neighborhood gem (74)fit for foodies (72)good for groups (72)notable wine list (60)romantic (57)great for lunch (45)great for brunch (37)vibrant bar scene (29)kid-friendly (28)hot spot (24)late-night find (12)scenic view (9)Show More
- way too fastOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014I was very disappointed in Il Fornaio this time (we had been there before). We had selected it as a midway point to meet two people from out of town, one of whom we were meeting for the first time. As a result, I had asked for a table where we could talk in the hope we could sit and enjoy our conversation during and after dinner. Ironically, the restaurant was less crowded and thus quieter than usual, so we would have been able to talk. The problem was that we were hurried through our meal. The first course came immediately and the second course came while I was still eating my first course (the others had just finished). We felt rushed so we ate quickly and left. This is not the experience we had expected when we selected Il Fornaio.
- DisappointedFussyVIPDined on 8/28/2014Il Fornaio is one of our favorite local restaurants and we go often. This time we took advantage of the happy hour menu, and sitting outside on a lovely summer evening. All of the appetizers were great, as usual. We ordered the personal pizzas for our entree. Not up to par. Doughy crust. Toppings not melted through. Our waitress had to be asked or reminder for everything. Again not typical, but I thought it was worth noting since consistency is important if we are to continue to be regular diners.Special Features:
- Favorite Restaurant AroundChrisDined on 8/22/2014My wife and I love this place, and it is always at the top of our list when deciding on where to spend our date nights. The service is always excellent , even the managers take their time to come around to say hello. We have never had a bad meal and cannot get enough of certain dishes (my wife loves the Penoni Alla Vodka while I keep coming back for the Tagliata). It's tough not to fill up on their delicious bread and we highly recommend the calamari. Overall, you just cannot go wrong by going to Il Fornaio for a night out.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014Great Service and delicious meals. Great for celebrating special occasions as we did for birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Servie--Food OkayDrewDined on 8/21/2014Our waiter; Aaron was amazing! He knew when to stop by and check in on our table--very knowledgable of the menu (wines too!) Food was a bit bland--they changed their bread seletion, it's okay. I'll be back-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServicesweeteatsDined on 8/19/2014Brian was the perfect server -- he was a great help with menu suggestions and was encouraging with our additions to our entries. He even had the bartender come up with a lovely non-alcoholic, non-soda lunch drink. We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- blahjaceDined on 8/17/2014I wish I'd gone up the street to Ted's Bulletin for better food, atmosphere, & more reasonable pricing. Never again.
- Great food but....LoveItalianDined on 8/16/2014The food is excellent and so is the service but wish they would find some ways to cut down on the noise. For such a nice restaurant it is much too noisy and difficult to hear if you sit inside. For this reason we chose to sit outside but had to wait for a table even after making a reservation.Special Features:
- AmuseDined on 8/16/2014We were a family of 6 celebrating a birthday and had impeccable service and great ambiance !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice location but bad foodJessi22Dined on 8/16/2014I would not recommend this place at all. I ordered the a chicken dish it was AWFUL... I asked for something else Lasagna it was even worst...Special Features:
- YummyMaryVIPDined on 8/15/2014I have to say the best Italian restaurant in VA. Coming from New York this has been a great find. Must visit :)Special Features:
- WaltVIPDined on 8/15/2014We've written so many accolades about the service, management, kitchen and wine list that it is better to give you the bottom line: Simply one of the best, most consistent restaurants in northern Virginia.Special Features:
- Food excellent, service mehSkierMomArlingtonDined on 8/14/2014I hosted a business lunch for three people. It was a beautiful day, so we sat outside. Our server - even our bus-people - must have been having a bad day. The service overall was fine - not speedy but horribly slow. Besides the speed needing improvement - so did the general attitude of the service. Everyone seemed grumpy, and just going through the motions. Even the initial "Welcome to Il Fornaio - is this your first time dining with us" was scripted monotone. You could tell she really didn't care. No one ever asked if we wanted anything to drink besides the water on the table. Meantime - the food was great. I had a wonderful chopped salad and a great flatbread. My companions had pasta dishes and were very pleased with them both.Special Features:
- Group meetingluvtexasDined on 8/12/2014A group of 8 colleagues dined here last evening. The service was prompt, timely and overall quite good. The food was trendy and tasty. The resturant had several groups of 6 to 8 and thus the noise level was high. I didn't mind because our group was involved in the noise, but I would not be good comforatable if I were in a smaller group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice placeYaay4dateniteDined on 8/11/2014This restaurant is super nice! The pictures on the website don't do it justice at all. Friendly staff, delicious food, great ambience, an overall winner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family DineralasDined on 8/9/2014We wanted a different restaurant and this was our first time at Il Fornaio. We decided to spend our wedding anniversary with our kids, sister and nephew. We made reservations on-line and it was our first time doing that as well. The restaurant is very nice, service was outstanding ad food was delicious. The only little thing that my wife did not liked was that the lighting in the dinning area we were seated was too dimmed.Special Features:
- Very nice, a bit noisy!LoveItalyDined on 8/9/2014The food and service was excellent. We liked not feeling rushed! It was European style, slow down and enjoy life!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service, great food!KdubfoodieDined on 8/9/2014From the moment that we walked in, we were treated so well. From the outstanding hostesses, to the engaging and knowledgeable wait staff, the service was great. Plus, the manager stopped by to check on us and was very friendly. The food itself was excellent as well. We definitely recommend Il fornaio for a date night.Special Features:
- Always goodSallyEDined on 8/7/2014We went to Il Fornaio for our anniversary. The food was delicious and the service was great. Not our first time there. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- morandcVIPDined on 7/26/2014Another excellent meal & continued superb service. Came to Il Fornaio for "date night" and we were not disappointed. We took advantage of their "no corkage fee" month & brought our own high end Italian wine. Our waiter was happy to decant it & serve it like it came from their cellar. Selected two entree's from their monthly specials & were not disappointed. Clearly the service was the highlight & the food & ambience added to the evening. Remains a favorate in Reston Town Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingUvagradDined on 7/26/2014Il Fornaio has the vibe of a great Italian restaurant, but several entrees we got just didn't have much taste, or were unappealing. Very disappointing. Another grilled dish was very salty. Calamari appetizer was good. Otherwise three of us hardly ate any of our meal.
- Great service with fantastic foodboyd4305Dined on 7/25/2014My first trip to Il Fornaio will not be my last. I really enjoyed the service, atmosphere and food. Great wine list and friendly staff. I'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Lovely experienceDCDinerDined on 7/19/2014The food is fresh and delicious, the wine list is varied, and the service is warm. Love this restaurant!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our eveningJosyVIPDined on 7/19/2014Good food, terrific service, our waiter was very helpful & polite, enjoyed the wine but noise level very high in back roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor presentation & lacking flavorDebraVIPDined on 7/18/2014We have dined at Il Fornaio many times, one of my husbands favorites. I have to say we were both extremely disappointed in our dish. I had the 3 course special and chose the heirloom tomato salad, the ravioli, and the sole with mushrooms and polenta for about $35. Were were told the first two entrees were tasting size (very small) and the third entree was full size, and it was large. The tomato's were mushy, the 2 pieces of ravioli were very good, and the sole was flavorless. Two large pieces of polenta and four pieces of fish and mushrooms. Were was the color? The flavor? No green, no yellow like in a lemon... I had to ask for lemon for my fish which helped the flavor. I believe it's time for a new chef! We won't be back, sad to say.Special Features:
- A Gem in Herndon-RestonJimAtkinDined on 7/18/2014I have visited this restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area. This west coast gem has succeeded in successfully planting the flag in metropolitan Washington, DC. Excellent ambiance, service and food. Wine list was appropriate for this venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I like Il Fornaio when...SSHpsychVIPDined on 7/14/2014I'm at Town Center. However, like all restaurants these days, it is noisy and so one feels compelled to yell when talking. However, the wait staff is very pleasant, and the food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!BodieDined on 7/14/2014They gave our party of 9 (reserved for 10) plenty of space. We were seated promptly, service was wonderful and the food was delicious!Special Features:
- Il FornaiopenguinmdsDined on 7/13/2014Have dined here many times and the food is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LocalLucyDined on 7/12/2014Normally a great experience but on this particular night, while the food was very good, the service was sub par. Many forgotten items, neglected for extended periods of time. The waiter had a hard time communicating as well.Special Features:
- Dinner Dining OutsideFountainheadDined on 7/12/2014Great spot for summer-spring-fall outside dining. Service is terrific and Veggie selections possibly best in Reston Town Center.Special Features:
- Good friends could talk and hear!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014The portions were on the Europe size which was perfect. Desert wonderful! Price was reasonable !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choicesEljayceeVIPDined on 7/11/2014I enjoy coming to Il Fornaio with friends because the food and service are very good and there are always enough choices to satisfy everyone regardless of appetite. The pizzas are terrific - although too large for one person, so consider sharing. The beef carpaccio was also good as was the veal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great server!zanexecVIPDined on 7/10/2014Requested a dish that was not on the menu and they complied without missing a beat. The server, Bill, was attentive without being overly so. A fabulous place to take guests and clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of VenetoJudiWDined on 7/7/2014This was my fourth visit to Il Fornaio. Rather quieter this tie, but probably because it was a Monday. I decided spontabeously that we should go as I received email advertising a Veneto special menu - and it did not disappoint. The special was amazing, (I had the tasting plate and my sons had the speial main course) Very flavoursome. We all had three courses and very much enjoyed it. Or meal was leisurely we were not hurried at all. The wines were matched too the menu, and complimented it well. The service was as it should be - knowledgable and professional friendly and 'toucing the table' att regular intervals. I would recommend this restaurant for a reliably excellent meal and service at a reasonable price, every time.Special Features:
- The Second TimeWeWILLbebackDined on 7/3/2014Our visit was the second one for us. We'd wanted to take some friends of ours there for quite some time--they're of Italian heritage--but both couples were always busy! We finally made it and really enjoyed the entire dinner. Mae, our VERY knowledgeable server, was simply very astute and accommodating (we were "catching up" on things and were there for 2 1/2 hours). The food was excellent as were the mixed drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousoccasionalsplurgeDined on 6/30/2014The food was exquisite. Reasonably priced and tasty. Many healthy options on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED ITHeather11Dined on 6/24/2014Always my go to place, never a bad meal, always great service, delicious food! You just cant go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst choice in RestonAkeymcDined on 6/21/2014I've been to the bar multiple times. The place is always packed with people waiting on tables, so I assumed it must be great. Made a reservation last weekend. Started out okay. Nothing overwhelming great, but not to the point where I wouldn't come back. Then our entrees arrived. I ordered a small portion of pasta. The size was fine, but it had no taste. My husband ordered a seafood pasta special. It looked similar to a Healthy Choice frozen dinner and even that would be a compliment. It consisted of several baby shrimp and what probably equated to a single bay scallop cut into 5 pieces. There was no sauce, just water. My husband did not eat it, but pushed it aside. They were kind enough to take it off the tab after we asked them to do so.Special Features:
- Tasty food with lovely presentationKaymDined on 6/21/2014Good bread to start. Carpaccio came with shaved parmesan and a drizzle of oil. Service was attentive.Special Features: