Il Fornaio - Manhattan Beach
1800 Rosecrans Ave.
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266Neighborhood:
Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Manhattan Beach
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 3107259555
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 3:00pm; Saturday - Sunday, 11:00am - 3:00pm. Dinner: Sunday - Thursday, 3:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday, 3:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Vicente Mendoza
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering menu and banquet menu are available for events with Manhattan Beach and El Segundo areas.
A word from Il Fornaio - Manhattan Beach
Step inside Il Fornaio and take a culinary journey through Italy. Early mornings bring rustic, crisp crusted bread hot from the oven accompanied by the scent of fresh brewed espresso. During lunch and dinner hours, pastas and flavorful sauces simmer while meats and vegetables roast over hot coals. Bottles of wine from small, regional wineries are uncorked to complement the dishes, which have been crafted in the custom of Italy's chefs, bakers and homemakers. Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornaio - Manhattan Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
166 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (82)good for groups (64)neighborhood gem (52)great for lunch (49)fit for foodies (48)romantic (36)notable wine list (34)great for brunch (25)great for outdoor dining (23)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (7)hot spot (5)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Horrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014Food and ambiance was great. The service was awful. We had to go to the bar for our own drinks, waitress didn't come to our table for 20 minutes. Food was good but didn't outweigh the horrible service
- I love Il Fornaio-Manhattan BeachluvsushirokuDined on 9/23/2014I have been going to Il Fornaio - Manhattan Beach for years. The food is always great. The service is impeccable. The attention to detail is superb. I can always count on a first class, great time and great meal there. It's warm ambiance cannot be matched anywhere locally. It's my "go to place" for a guaranteed great meal with all that should go with it. It's so easy to eat, drink, enjoy, talk and interact. It far surpasses the Pasadena location.Special Features:
- It' always a good place to goabcdDined on 9/13/2014We live in the South Bay, they on the West Side. And equal drive for us both that we make several times a year.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/10/2014The food was great as usual and all in all it was a very nice dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance but....,GlenKDined on 9/9/2014I was very disappointed with the seating arrangement which I had specifically requested online thru Open Table. I asked for a booth and/or window table but when I got there with my client/guest, we were shuffled off to a table in the middle of restaurant adjacent to the service bar and kitchen. Normally I would have made a complaint to the hostess but I did not to avoid embarrassing my out of town client, it would have been unprofessional. I understand that special requests can not always be granted but this was on a Tuesday nite and there was only a handful of people dining at the time we were there. And there were lots of open available tables that would have been more appropriate for this crucial business dinner.Special Features:
- ExcellentaantiquemanDined on 9/6/2014The food was outstanding Italian cuisine. The pannacota for dessert was the best I've ever had. Highly recmmend this restaurant.Special Features:
- lovely lunch great serviceCarolBDined on 9/2/2014Chicken salad with bacon and shaved parmesan.. what's not to like!Special Features:
- Manhattan Beach Il Fornaio ReviewDennisLapidReviewDined on 8/24/2014This was my first time doing a Sunday Brunch. Different experience I've had with many dinners I've had here. We came at 11 a.m. That staff appeared to be quite not 100% ready yet. The waiter was very nice, personable and accommodating, however; he appeared to be not smooth in answering our questions or telling us about the menu. Perhaps it's the first hour and the staff were still getting up to speed. Most of my dining experience here had been great and comes all the time. Also, my friend wanted fruit juice that is on the menu, they did not have any of them at the time. This experience will not stop me from coming back for dinners, but I'll second think it for Brunch.Special Features:
- Fantastico!!!Leo027Dined on 8/23/2014Our visit to Il Fornaio was excellent, along with the food & service. We will return in the future and recommend to family & friends. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014I had my mom's surprise 70th birthday here so after 6 years we a had another birthday here .. The food was really good! Always nice people and timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A long term favoriteCentralCALadyDined on 8/19/2014I have loved this restaurant. When I lived in Manhattan Beach ate there often; when I go back to that area I always try to schedule a dinner there.Special Features:
- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2014we visit here monthly. we enjoy the diffreent culinary ideas thery do when they explore differetn regions of italy evey month.Special Features:
- Dining at Il FornaiorichardDined on 8/16/2014The dinner was fabulous. Noted that the waiter failed to refill our wine glasses which they normally do.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/15/2014We both had the spaghetti with the one-pound lobster in tomato sauce. Wow! This was on the regional menu but it would be great to be able to get it more often. You could tell they were Maine lobsters by the sweetness. The Chef sent us cups of the bean soup which was wonderful and we split the heirloom salad. The salad was delicious. All in all, another great experience at our favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrR8 Loves It!GrR8Dined on 8/14/2014Food, service and attentive wait staff all outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OK for a chain restaurantWendyVIPDined on 8/13/2014The client chose this restaurant, not me. It was in a shopping mall with very generic faux Italian interior decor (although the light fixtures were very nice.) The place we were seated allowed full view of the (Hispanic) chefs - I like to watch chefs, so that was kind of interesting. My food was marginal at best. I'm not comparing it to real Italian food eaten in Italy; I'm not comparing it to my own cooking; I'm comparing it to other Italian food I've purchased at those high prices ($20-$25 per entree). The service was awkward. The table was microscopically small (which actually IS like Italy!) Next time I meet this client, I will pick the restaurant and it won't be this one.
- Disappointing food, poor servicePV19Dined on 8/13/2014Terrible service: Ignored after we were seated, disorganised staff were unclear as to who was taking care of our table. Slow to bring menus, even slower to take orders. Slow to bring check and then ignored us until my husband had to ASK them to take his credit card for payment.Disappointing "Sardinian special" dish of lobster and pasta: dry, tasteless lobster overwhelmed by spaghetti. Grilled sole was tasty, but the "Sardinian" aspect was a scatter of chopped tomato and some lemon juice: not inspiring. "Sardinian" pannacotta was tasty, as were chocolate cake & icecream. Overall, not worth the time and the cost. Has this chain become so formulaic and tired that now they simply bang the food into the pan and onto the plate?
- always goodbruceVIPDined on 8/8/2014We go here for the Regional specials,. happy hour and occasionally the wine dinners and pasta cravings. This time was the Sardegna region, which was very good. The entrees were large and we took home leftovers (but we had the tasting, so it had three courses to begin with). The bread was hot and fresh, always enjoyed. We'll come back next week for the appetizer not on the tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LandDDined on 8/2/2014It was a good meeting place half way between our friends' house and ours.
- Good food and consistentmbsquidDined on 7/31/2014We have been coming this place ever since the restaurant started. Good food most of time. MY friend loved a kind of spaghetti I dont even know what he asked to substitute but he was very happy man. I had a little trouble understanding side order of a few olives and charged $7.50 without explanation before or after the order. We like the restaurant and we will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchJJBizDined on 7/31/2014Lunch and service were superb. The quality of the food and its preparation were particularly notable. This restaurant is consistently a "go to" place for me. Whether its a business lunch or romantic evening.Special Features:
- Fancy- SchmancyFoodieladyDined on 7/30/2014I wanted to take my niece to a fancy place for lunch as a late high school graduation celebration. Il Fornaio is a fancy Italian restaurant with cloth napkins, wine glasses, and a dessert cart, but still serves food that a young adult can enjoy (e.g., pizza, chicken, etc...). Lunch for two people with dessert put me back 60 bucks, but the service was outstanding and I felt that we got my money's worth. The only negative - my dessert was not so great. I ordered the flourless chocolate cake and it was surprisingly dry and bland. Everything else was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLoriCDined on 7/25/2014We had an 8:00 reservation. There were many open tables and we were seated right away.....right in front of the service area, entrance to the kitchen and bathrooms. No view of the nicely decorated dining room. Grand central station. Very unpleasant. Not a good experience, despite the delicious food. Also - inattentive service. No lemons for our water as requested and promised. My husband got one cup of coffee and it sat empty for a long time until he stopped a server and asked for more. No cheese offered for our pasta.Special Features:
- All Around Fabulous!PA6769Dined on 7/24/2014Have been here several times with friends new to the area and every, single time the food and service were outstanding. Great variety for both meat eaters and vegetarians. Fresh, hot, flavorful food with excellent presentation and the waiting staff are outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AtmospheremeetingDined on 7/23/2014This place is very nice. Feels like you step to "old" Europe. Vine and bread is great....We used to come here with friends from work and continue using this place for our special occasion gatheringSpecial Features:
- Attentive ManagersDeirdreDined on 7/23/2014I've dined at Il Fornaio in Manhattan Beach many times. The food is always delicious & service excellent. This past visit for lunch my friends order was misinterpreted by our waiter, but when it was realized the order was corrected immediately. Furthermore, two managers checked on us to make sure all was well! They even sent a complimentary dessert over to us.....good customer service! Will definitely be returning. Just wish the "Happy Hour" started earlier:)Special Features:
- Keep searchingFoodieDined on 7/20/2014Three of us ate dinner here and we all were disappointed with our meals. There are so many excellent restaurants in LA but this is not one of them. My only recommendation is to keep searching and avoid this chain.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/20/2014Who knew an Italian chicken curry dish could be so good. My wife and I both ordered it from the regional menu and thought it was delicious. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's A okayDiggieVIPDined on 7/16/2014Food was okay and service was okay. Nothing to rave about. It's a good place to go if you are going on a big group. The restaurant itself looks nice.Special Features:
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/16/2014We visit here every two months. the free corkage for month of July was great..Special Features:
- Love the Passport & AmbiencePassportPlusDined on 7/13/2014I love the ambience and food. We get a kick out of the passport program. Keeps us coming back. The food was great for all 5 of us. Service always good and quick. We will be back in a couple of weeks. It was my birthday, so that was nice. Table was ready when we got there. Appetizers came fast. Salmon was burnt, but they brought another one fairly quickly. Lovely evening.Special Features:
- ConsistentFlossie17Dined on 7/13/2014I come to this restaurant whenever I am in the area. It is always good authentic Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quality food and quality serviceAmazingDined on 7/13/2014Very happy with our meal and great friendly attentive service. Clean and well appointed surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go-to spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/12/2014Our son lives nearby and take him out to dinner here about twice a month. The staff is welcoming and we always get good service. I have some dietary restrictions and they are willing to make substitutions. The food gets served in a timely fashion and it is extremely rare that a food is not well-prepared (chicken overdone). All in all we enjoy coming or we woudn't keep coming back!Special Features:
- always reliablebruceVIPDined on 7/11/2014We had the regional menu, which started with a nice light tomato based soup, followed by curry chicken, baked cod and a risotto (among three people). All of it was very good and some leftovers were taken home. The dessert as a peach, mascarpone and amaretto gelato concoction, wich is one of my favorites here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in Chickenamfhibian8VIPDined on 7/6/2014The carpaccio, Cristina pizza, and Linguine Mare Chiaro were delicious! We love the Zabaione! However we were very disappointed with the Pollo Toscano. This pollo was dry and not very tasty. The $4.99 chicken at Costco is so much better. Also disappointed that the Piatto Smeralda isn't served for dinner.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceEdhamDined on 7/3/2014Just drove into manhattan beach, calif and driving around looking for dining spots and beach locations. Saw this restaurant, thought Italian sounded good, was close to our hotel so went on line to view menu and read reviews. Recent reviews were nothing what we experienced. Service was superb, extensive wine list, food wasn't your typical pasta and spaghetti entrees. Overall, very impressed. If this is a chain, please come to Tulsa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- finedinnerVIPDined on 6/29/2014Food was good, however service was horrible. Once seated, our server never came and had to ask manager to find him. Had to ask for our bill twice and when it came we received 2, ours and someone elses and to make matters worse, paid our bill and server short changed us - Must say, the bus personnel should be given recognition as they were very attentive to our needs, i.e., water, bread and taking away unwanted plates quickly. Bartender was good as well - we should have stayed in the bar to have our dinner!Special Features:
- Birthday BrunchAuntieDined on 6/29/20142 ladies celebrating their Birthdays at Brunch! Pleasant service, but delivery of food was disjointed - it didn't all arrive together. The toast under the Eggs Benedict was so stale it couldn.t be cut w/ a knife or teeth. We had to flag down Server and ask to see Desert Menu. Once we made our choice, he then told us we were entitled to a different selection since it was our Birthdays. I had specifically e-mailed ahead to let the Restaurant know it was both our Birthdays. Someone didn't read it, I guess. The cannoli, however, was very yummy.Special Features:
- Never had a bad meal at Il Fornaiotm2000VIPDined on 6/28/2014Yes, it is a chain. But, the food is very good. There is usually something for everyone in a group to enjoy, including many grilled meat or fish entrees. Our group ordered a steak entree, grilled salmon and ravioli and all of the entrees were very good. Ambiance is nice and wine specials were interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.