Il Fornaio - Manhattan Beach
1800 Rosecrans Ave.
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266Neighborhood:
Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Manhattan Beach
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: (310) 725-9555
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 3:00pm; Saturday - Sunday, 11:00am - 3:00pm. Dinner: Sunday - Thursday, 3:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday, 3:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Vicente Mendoza
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering menu and banquet menu are available for events with Manhattan Beach and El Segundo areas.
A word from Il Fornaio - Manhattan Beach
Step inside Il Fornaio and take a culinary journey through Italy. Early mornings bring rustic, crisp crusted bread hot from the oven accompanied by the scent of fresh brewed espresso. During lunch and dinner hours, pastas and flavorful sauces simmer while meats and vegetables roast over hot coals. Bottles of wine from small, regional wineries are uncorked to complement the dishes, which have been crafted in the custom of Italy's chefs, bakers and homemakers. Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Il Fornaio - Manhattan Beach - Best Restaurants in Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach ›
Il Fornaio - Manhattan Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (65)good for groups (55)fit for foodies (47)neighborhood gem (44)great for lunch (34)romantic (28)notable wine list (22)great for brunch (16)kid-friendly (12)great for outdoor dining (12)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great experience!!Deleoncy1Dined on 11/19/2014Had a great time celebrating my fathers birthday here! The food was delicious and the service was excellent. They made is feel welcomed as it was our first time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere,great service and food.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2014We decided last minute to go to dinner and chose Il Fornaio. We were greeted at the front desk warmly and were seated in ten minutes. We had a table by the fireplace and our waiter was knowledgable and very friendly. We had soup, salad and pizza. Everything was delicious and perfect for not wanting too much food. We will go back and certainly recommend this to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodbruceVIPDined on 11/13/2014Tried a different pasta thank usual, plus the regional Chicken Cordon Bleu entrée. All were good and the service as great as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/12/2014I had made the reservation before we got some very good news worth celebrating. How perfect that we were going to our favorite restaurant for dinner. The salad and the short ribs from the regional menu were both wonderful and we both really enjoyed the wine flight, including a lovely Barolo, that was also from that menu. We had a great time and look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spot with friendsfoodandfunDined on 11/12/2014Perfect location to meet up with friends. The service was excellent. The restaurant let us stay well after the lunch crowd left. Everyone enjoyed their dishes. My salmon was quite tasty and I would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service!LizzieVIPDined on 11/10/2014I always meet people from La here as I live in Orange County.The food, service and atmosphere are always top notch! Keep up the good work as we will always comeback!Special Features:
- always goodbruceVIPDined on 11/7/2014the service was top notch (as usual), the food was great. This month's regional menu features truffle, and the items, especially pasta are really good. Taking home leftovers (after ordering the 3 course tasting) is normal, and enjoyed the next daySpecial Features:
- One of my favorite placesRbmaryDined on 11/5/2014Great food and not your everyday Italian menu. Seasonal menu which I love! Great atmosphere and decor...love this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xxxxVIPDined on 11/1/2014you may or may not like that they post the calories on the menu. i had a 500 calorie lunch that was seafood (shrimp, calamari, scallops) over spinach. it was very tasty. the seafood was cooked perfectly so nothing was chewy. the pasta is tasty too. the service was very good.Special Features:
- Great Italian - Close to LAXOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/30/2014I went here while in town for business, we wanted something near the airport. The service was great, very reasonable prices, and the food was amazing. I recommend anything with the vodka sauce.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great potentialFrequentDinerVIPDined on 10/28/2014Atmosphere at lunch was pleasant. This restaurant was not overly busy so service, pacing and atmosphere were all good. Proteins were seasoned well but overcooked and dry. With a little more focus the dishes would have been quite good.
- Consistent!Pat1VIPDined on 10/25/2014Consistent, good food and service. Some of the tables feel a bit "cold" an minimalist, but the food and the service overcome the table situation.Special Features:
- Could be a better restaurantDiningDocsVIPDined on 10/24/2014We have eaten here many times over the years but stopped four years ago due to poor management. We tried it again and were disappointed. Service is totally uninformed: when we asked about certain wines we were told some were light and the others were heavy and offered two Nero d'Avola to try before choosing. Server then returned with one Nero and one dolcetto. Food is always hit and miss: Half the dishes were fair and half were not good. Won't be going back for another few years unless we learn they are under new management.
- GreatRoxyDined on 10/18/2014Love this place. It's professional and cute. They have such delish food and the staff is always on point. They were able to handle my crazy 14 person party well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian in manhattan beachPerkyDined on 10/18/2014Love it here! Best Italian food outside of Italy! My go to spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il Fornaio - Family Together TimeIlFornaioFanDined on 10/10/2014We come here as a family to have a great meal together but also to enjoy the wonderful food and wine. My husband and my boys love it, as do I. We especially like to experience the various regional menus that the restaurant features. We are always pleased with the inventiveness of the food as well as the wonderful service, and they always accommodate our varied meal reservation times. All in all a lovely time and meal and we will do it again soon!Special Features:
- STILL THINKING ABOUT THE FOODThriftyGourmandDined on 10/4/2014Wonderful! Il Fornaio - Manhattan Beach is excellent! I've eaten there several times over the years and the quality has not diminished at all. For the price, which is moderate, it is one of the best Italian restaurants in which I've dined. I would definitely go again and highly recommend itSpecial Features:
- Il Fornaio Where have you gone?RUBTENDined on 9/30/2014We used to frequent this location quite often. The staff was usually friendly and the chef would come out and ask about the food. Now? None of that. It seems management has changed along with the logo. I don't think we will be back. We were not greeted upon entering as the front desk was unattended. We were shuttled to the very back of the restaurant even though we walked past many open tables. There were a couple of tables with parties of six but they were in the adjacent room. The server seemed new so I will forgive her lack of enthusiasm. The food was ok. Nothing wrong just nothing memorable. The sauce felt overcooked as did the pasta.Special Features:
- Horrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014Food and ambiance was great. The service was awful. We had to go to the bar for our own drinks, waitress didn't come to our table for 20 minutes. Food was good but didn't outweigh the horrible service
- I love Il Fornaio-Manhattan BeachluvsushirokuDined on 9/23/2014I have been going to Il Fornaio - Manhattan Beach for years. The food is always great. The service is impeccable. The attention to detail is superb. I can always count on a first class, great time and great meal there. It's warm ambiance cannot be matched anywhere locally. It's my "go to place" for a guaranteed great meal with all that should go with it. It's so easy to eat, drink, enjoy, talk and interact. It far surpasses the Pasadena location.Special Features:
- It' always a good place to goabcdDined on 9/13/2014We live in the South Bay, they on the West Side. And equal drive for us both that we make several times a year.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/10/2014The food was great as usual and all in all it was a very nice dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance but....,GlenKDined on 9/9/2014I was very disappointed with the seating arrangement which I had specifically requested online thru Open Table. I asked for a booth and/or window table but when I got there with my client/guest, we were shuffled off to a table in the middle of restaurant adjacent to the service bar and kitchen. Normally I would have made a complaint to the hostess but I did not to avoid embarrassing my out of town client, it would have been unprofessional. I understand that special requests can not always be granted but this was on a Tuesday nite and there was only a handful of people dining at the time we were there. And there were lots of open available tables that would have been more appropriate for this crucial business dinner.Special Features:
- ExcellentaantiquemanDined on 9/6/2014The food was outstanding Italian cuisine. The pannacota for dessert was the best I've ever had. Highly recmmend this restaurant.Special Features:
- lovely lunch great serviceCarolBDined on 9/2/2014Chicken salad with bacon and shaved parmesan.. what's not to like!Special Features:
- great italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/24/2014Food is great.. On most months they have special items covering different regions of Italy once per month. They have a tasting price if you like to sample three different items of that region. This is a great idea and a great thing to try because you always have a variety and you can still order off the menu.Special Features:
- Manhattan Beach Il Fornaio ReviewDennisLapidReviewDined on 8/24/2014This was my first time doing a Sunday Brunch. Different experience I've had with many dinners I've had here. We came at 11 a.m. That staff appeared to be quite not 100% ready yet. The waiter was very nice, personable and accommodating, however; he appeared to be not smooth in answering our questions or telling us about the menu. Perhaps it's the first hour and the staff were still getting up to speed. Most of my dining experience here had been great and comes all the time. Also, my friend wanted fruit juice that is on the menu, they did not have any of them at the time. This experience will not stop me from coming back for dinners, but I'll second think it for Brunch.Special Features:
- Fantastico!!!Leo027Dined on 8/23/2014Our visit to Il Fornaio was excellent, along with the food & service. We will return in the future and recommend to family & friends. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeSuzesDined on 8/22/2014I had my mom's surprise 70th birthday here so after 6 years we a had another birthday here .. The food was really good! Always nice people and timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A long term favoriteCentralCALadyDined on 8/19/2014I have loved this restaurant. When I lived in Manhattan Beach ate there often; when I go back to that area I always try to schedule a dinner there.Special Features:
- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2014we visit here monthly. we enjoy the diffreent culinary ideas thery do when they explore differetn regions of italy evey month.Special Features:
- Dining at Il FornaiorichardDined on 8/16/2014The dinner was fabulous. Noted that the waiter failed to refill our wine glasses which they normally do.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/15/2014We both had the spaghetti with the one-pound lobster in tomato sauce. Wow! This was on the regional menu but it would be great to be able to get it more often. You could tell they were Maine lobsters by the sweetness. The Chef sent us cups of the bean soup which was wonderful and we split the heirloom salad. The salad was delicious. All in all, another great experience at our favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrR8 Loves It!GrR8Dined on 8/14/2014Food, service and attentive wait staff all outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OK for a chain restaurantWendyVIPDined on 8/13/2014The client chose this restaurant, not me. It was in a shopping mall with very generic faux Italian interior decor (although the light fixtures were very nice.) The place we were seated allowed full view of the (Hispanic) chefs - I like to watch chefs, so that was kind of interesting. My food was marginal at best. I'm not comparing it to real Italian food eaten in Italy; I'm not comparing it to my own cooking; I'm comparing it to other Italian food I've purchased at those high prices ($20-$25 per entree). The service was awkward. The table was microscopically small (which actually IS like Italy!) Next time I meet this client, I will pick the restaurant and it won't be this one.
- Disappointing food, poor servicePV19Dined on 8/13/2014Terrible service: Ignored after we were seated, disorganised staff were unclear as to who was taking care of our table. Slow to bring menus, even slower to take orders. Slow to bring check and then ignored us until my husband had to ASK them to take his credit card for payment.Disappointing "Sardinian special" dish of lobster and pasta: dry, tasteless lobster overwhelmed by spaghetti. Grilled sole was tasty, but the "Sardinian" aspect was a scatter of chopped tomato and some lemon juice: not inspiring. "Sardinian" pannacotta was tasty, as were chocolate cake & icecream. Overall, not worth the time and the cost. Has this chain become so formulaic and tired that now they simply bang the food into the pan and onto the plate?
- always goodbruceVIPDined on 8/8/2014We go here for the Regional specials,. happy hour and occasionally the wine dinners and pasta cravings. This time was the Sardegna region, which was very good. The entrees were large and we took home leftovers (but we had the tasting, so it had three courses to begin with). The bread was hot and fresh, always enjoyed. We'll come back next week for the appetizer not on the tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LandDDined on 8/2/2014It was a good meeting place half way between our friends' house and ours.
- Good food and consistentmbsquidDined on 7/31/2014We have been coming this place ever since the restaurant started. Good food most of time. MY friend loved a kind of spaghetti I dont even know what he asked to substitute but he was very happy man. I had a little trouble understanding side order of a few olives and charged $7.50 without explanation before or after the order. We like the restaurant and we will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchJJBizDined on 7/31/2014Lunch and service were superb. The quality of the food and its preparation were particularly notable. This restaurant is consistently a "go to" place for me. Whether its a business lunch or romantic evening.Special Features:
- The following 1126 reviews are from the Il Fornaio - Manhattan Beach reviews archive.