Il Fornaio - Irvine
18051 Von Karman Avenue
Irvine, CA 92612Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Irvine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 9492611444
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday, 11:30am - 4:00pm. Sunday, closed. Dinner: Monday - Thursday, 4:00pm - 10:00pm. Friday - Saturday, 5:00pm - 10:00pm. Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jeff Burt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available for business, personal or holiday events. Please call the Event Coordinator to arrange.
A word from Il Fornaio - Irvine
Step inside Il Fornaio and take a culinary journey through Italy. Early mornings bring rustic, crisp crusted bread hot from the oven accompanied by the scent of fresh brewed espresso. During lunch and dinner hours, pastas and flavorful sauces simmer while meats and vegetables roast over hot coals. Bottles of wine from small, regional wineries are uncorked to complement the dishes, which have been crafted in the custom of Italy's chefs, bakers and homemakers. Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornaio - Irvine reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (54)special occasion (54)great for outdoor dining (52)great for lunch (43)fit for foodies (40)romantic (34)neighborhood gem (29)notable wine list (28)great for brunch (14)kid-friendly (12)vibrant bar scene (11)scenic view (6)hot spot (5)late-night find (5)Show More
- Dissapointedmomof8Dined on 9/20/2014We have been there with large parties many times, so decided to give it a try for my Birthday before the theater. I made reservations weeks in advance and received an email reminder, they couldn't find my reservation. The hostess in charge was not friendly, also the hostess that sat us was rude and would only sit us at a 2 top even though we were eating early and had many open tables. The waiter was not at all friendly, just took our order in a hurry and spent most of his time chatting to other employees. The food is always good, but the caesar salad wilted. Waiter never asked how our meal was, but the manager did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014Nice and quiet on a Saturday afternoon. Light and bright atmosphere!Special Features:
- In business District90210babyVIPDined on 9/19/2014This restaurant is in a business district and it's probably better for lunch than dinner, the service was good, the girl who was the hostess was pretty stuck up and had it just seemed like she felt like she was above the job, no smile. Other than that there wa a group of 4 sitting next to us who were obviously drunk and so loud and unfortunately no one ever asked them to try to keep it down a little.Special Features:
- Love Il FornaioItalian1Dined on 9/17/2014I enjoy dining at this great restaurant. The food is magnificent, the service is impeccable and the atmosphere is great. Love the patio for a quieter evening. Location is wonderful.Special Features:
- Fabulous!SLCBVIPDined on 9/13/2014Il Fornaio is such a great place! Food, service and ambiance are all top notch. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the BEST Irvine Restaurants!BLISSfuldinerDined on 9/12/2014I have been dining at this restaurant for over 20 years, and it just keeps getting better and better! . . . with its high ceiling and open kitchen/airy environment, this is truly a timeless/ageless modern classic - and, by that, I mean, while it has truly been an Irvine fixture for several decades, it looks just as modern and ageless as when it opened. The owners and staff are like family, and are always friendly and courteous. All ingredients are imported from Italy, and their Italian regional specialties each month are always pleasantly surprising and keep the selection variety fresh . . . all in all, my FAVORITE restaurant, by far!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took my daughter for special bdayCasamorataDined on 9/9/2014My daughter Isabella had never been to Il Fornaio before and she was greeted my Hostess and enjoyed the attention she received on her 9th bday dinner with daddySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downward trend...OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/5/2014I get to this restaurant a few times a year (I live on the East Coast). It has always been one of my favorites in the area for several years. However, the last few times, the food has been disappointing and it is not matching the caliber of previous years. In the past, the consistency at such a high level has urged me on to try the other "sister" restaurants in this chain. Now, I'm near the end of my "last chances". Service and ambiance remain very high.Special Features:
- Long Term Customers Say a LotBaroloBillDined on 9/2/2014Terrific food, memorable service and a superb facility are one thing, but seeing many of the same people time after time at the restaurant and finding out that they have been "regulars" like us for over 20 years says a lot about consistency and quality of the overall experience. Amazing that a multi-location operation can have a unique identity for each of its restaurants that has local appeal like this.Special Features:
- Excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014As always, our meal was excellent and the service was great.Special Features:
- FSUJennVIPDined on 8/26/2014It was quick, which is good for a business lunch but the food was only ok, I've for sure had better Italian. I would return because of convenience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good foodHopeDined on 8/25/2014We have never been disappointed in taking someone to Il Fornaio. The food is always excellent, service is good, and it feels like you are in a special place away from the office buildings surrounding the restaurant. In this case we took a visiting Sales Manager from Chicago, and he loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Service and Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014We requested a private table to celebrate a retirement. Everything was perfect and we had a special last lunch with our boss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great business lunchReedoDined on 8/19/2014Excellent location, great service and food. Our business lunch was a huge success.Special Features:
- DisappointedsummgalDined on 8/16/2014We have eaten here many times and our experiences have been lovely... sometimes the food is exquisite. This time we were disappointed. The server was a little off, the food was greasy and cold, and there was a lot of push to upsell, from the moment we sat down through dessert. We'll go again just to see if this one time was a fluke, but can't recommend right now.
- Very Enjoyed ItTIGERZDined on 8/8/2014Service was excellent, food was terrific. Will come again. Went later on in the day around 730 on a friday and it wasn't packed at all.Special Features:
- Needs service upgradeJosh1kVIPDined on 8/2/2014Good food and décor but the meal was almost ruined by slow inattentive service. The server seemed to be everywhere but at our table.Special Features:
- Great TimeTomMDined on 8/1/2014Went to Il Fornaio with my wife and two kids (age 17 & 10). Had a great time. Service was attentive but not disruptive, good suggestions on food and drink. We ate in the ceter of the restaurant which has a dome that can be retracted in warm wether. It was a very nice touch.Special Features:
- A ChainFiveStarRPMDined on 7/23/2014Average Chain Restaurant. Looking for 50 character but it was average
- Always a great choice.BryzenDined on 7/21/2014My parents introduced Il Fornaio to me years ago. Although they've retired back east, it's still their all time favorite. It's also a standard favorite for me. Everything is "just right" here from the food to the warm atmosphere. I would highly recommend Il Fornaio to anyone. One stop and you'll clearly understand why this place has enjoyed it longevity in our community.Special Features:
- Good Italian EateryJoannajVIPDined on 7/18/2014We came here for a business lunch recently. Service was okay not as attentive as I remember it to be. Had to ask for water/tea refills. Caprese salad always a big hit. Tried a shell and chicken pasta with broccoli and sundried tomatoes. It had a very strong flavor in a somewhat almost chinese like flavored sauce. I would not order again. Prices are a bit high and would not run back for lunch.Special Features:
- Excellent food/staff/ambienceOCFoodieDined on 7/15/2014Fantastic, polite, attentive, cheerful service staff. Food beautifully presented, fresh, full of flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1432Dined on 7/15/2014Wonderful environment with reasonalbly priced dishes. Food is amazing. Highly recommend for couples, groups and buisness gatherings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrfigSteveVIPDined on 7/11/2014We tried the venetian tasting menu for dinner last friday. Very good. They also had a special no corcage fee which we appreciated as well. The weather was great and we sat outside and had a great dinner with our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Irvine's BestdaliguyVIPDined on 7/11/2014Very authentic Italian. pasta is made from scratch.Kinda noisey. I love the fresh fish entrees. I frequent this establishment often and highly reccomend it to any one.Special Features:
- Terrific find!thatgirlDined on 7/9/2014We had a business meeting at Il Fornaio and it was wonderful. Great service and delicious food. The waiter was thoughtful of the fact that we were conducting business and didn't intrude during conversations. Our guests enjoyed the meal and overall vibe of the restaurant. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousSanDiegoBichonDined on 7/5/2014We loved our lunch at Il Fornaio this past Sunday. I have enjoyed dining at Il Fornaio since I first found it in Berkeley, many many years ago. We often go to this location and enjoy it every time. Not only do they have wonderful bread, pasta, and pizza, the salads are delicious. I have never felt rushed there. The staff is warm and friendly, and they make you feel like you are having a beautiful, leisurely lunch with your Italian family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business MeetingBayouDinerDined on 7/5/2014We needed a relatively quiet table so we could hear one another and not disturb others. We were provided with that location and received efficient service that also respected our privacy and process. We found it an excellent restaurant to enjoy the ambiance and food while carrying on our discussion.Special Features:
- Celebrate Audition for DaughterRitaLiangDined on 6/28/2014Food was great, esp calamari and petrale sole. We had a great time celebrating with our 13 year old:-)Special Features:
- faithful customerFungoodfoodDined on 6/28/2014This is a wonderful restaurant with authentic Italian food. During special occasions, such as our anniversary we set up reservations. We love to go to lunch or dinner here. Whenever my husband has business lunches, he picks this restaurant whenever possible. There is so much available for the private parties or a casual lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- XCELENTOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014I went there had the Carpaccio the Agnello alla Scottadito and the sampler dessert, great!! also the service nice and easy going.Special Features:
- A bit too busy .... but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/19/2014Il Fornaio was the dinner venue selected by our Japanese customers. Though they enjoyed the evening, an excellent impression was lost of the bustle and noise close to the kitchen.
- Perfect DinnerItalian1Dined on 6/17/2014From the wine list to the main course, we enjoyed our visit. Great service. Wonderful location and an outdoor patio.Special Features:
- Bland cookingFONIVDined on 6/15/2014This was a meal to forget before you even finished. The bread in the basket was lukewarm and rubbery. The fish linguini was so tasteless I had to add some olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper trying to spice it up a little bit. My wife's bronzino was so dry that I doubt it has ever been in the water. They gave us a complimentary tiramisu wich was a nice touch but unfortunately that too was dry and tasteless. A father's day to forget.Special Features:
- No longer recommendLouiseDined on 6/14/2014We have enjoyed Il Fornaio many times in the past, but had a particularly disappointing experience last Saturday night. We were seated near the kitchen, even though many tables were empty. Some of the dishes were quite tasty (e.g., the lentil soup), but something we ate from the Sicilian menu was much too garlicky. My husband, who usually does not notice garlic, complained about lingering garlic taste. Service was slow and indifferent. We waited a very long time to place our orders and even longer to receive the bill.
- GREAT PLACEharlebabeDined on 6/14/2014great food, prompt, friendly service. cant wait to go back. only one problem. some server keep speeding up & down the isles with a big cart full of customers dinners. with that giant cart, there is only about 12 inched between your table and the cart. And, let me tell you, this guy is RUNNING!!! up and down the isles with this thing. don't stick your foot out from under your table or will be run over!!!...and if you want to get up out of your seat you better sent up a signal!!!!because you WILL BE MOWED DOWN!!! someone needs to address this problem. while we sat at our table, he passed us at least 4 times at a full run OH! the desert cart, which is smaller and much more professionaly handled otherwise, everything was GREAT!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy and funallaboutartDined on 6/14/2014We played bocci ball with a glass of wine, while munching on pizza, before dinner. It was a lot of fun.
- Very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Had dinner before we went to a concert. The setting was beautiful and the food was very good. I would highly recommend this restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A Great MealBaroloBillDined on 6/13/2014Don't think there's a more consistent and delicious Italian restaurant in OC. Always a pleasant surprise on the regionale menu (served for the first couple of weeks of the month), with direct-import items from the Italian culinary region of monthly focus. Staff is also consistently terrific and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service from ChrisGardaGalDined on 6/13/2014We were a group of six women with a few requests, and Chris was one of the best servers we've had at Il Fornaio. We loved the quiet and less crowded outdoor patio. The food was very good to celebrate Sicily. We all walked away with a beautiful hand-painted ceramic dish with a Sicilian scene. The artisan cocktail was also delish and we love the breadsticks in the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.