Il Fornaio - Del Mar
1555 Camino Del Mar
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Del Mar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 8587558876
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday, 10:00am - 3:00pm. Lunch: Monday - Saturday, 11:30am - 3:00pm. Dinner: Sunday - Thursday, 3:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday, 3:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Nicola Calamar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Il Fornaio - Del Mar
Step inside Il Fornaio and take a culinary journey through Italy. Early mornings bring rustic, crisp crusted bread hot from the oven accompanied by the scent of fresh brewed espresso. During lunch and dinner hours, pastas and flavorful sauces simmer while meats and vegetables roast over hot coals. Bottles of wine from small, regional wineries are uncorked to complement the dishes, which have been crafted in the custom of Italy's chefs, bakers and homemakers. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; house made pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and house made soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Il Fornaio - Del Mar - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Il Fornaio - Del Mar reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (117)great for outdoor dining (81)special occasion (54)romantic (49)good for groups (39)neighborhood gem (38)great for lunch (32)fit for foodies (29)great for brunch (24)kid-friendly (22)vibrant bar scene (19)notable wine list (19)hot spot (15)late-night find (8)Show More
- Haven't gone here for yearsNeighborVIPDined on 8/23/2014And now I know why! A tourist trap with a view. Won't be back again for years. Poor service, tables piled on top of each other, not quality food. Just a big disappointment.Special Features:
- Noisy and Mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Food is mediocre and expensive. It is VERY noisy and crowded and very hard to hear conversation. Definitely would not go back!Special Features:
- dznQADined on 8/22/2014The place was awesome! After playing golf at Morgan Run, my friend and I went to dinner on Friday Aug 22. The server was extremely wonderful and the general manager, Matthew Galli took care of us. He extended his friendliness to all the diners as I observed him doing his rounds. He is commendable! Great experience overall and I will spread the word and surely I will bring my family from OC to Del Mar to dine in at this place next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceTracyGDined on 8/22/2014We had a family dinner with 7 picky eaters and the restaurant did not disappoint. The view is incredible and the service was friendly and attentive. Everyone enjoyed their meal (no doggie bags needed!) and I would recommend Il Fornaio to those that enjoy excellent food with a beautiful view.Special Features:
- just okOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2014Our dinner was just ok - the service was also just ok. We repeatedly had to ask for more olive oil for the bread and water. The food was not as good as a remembered from 20 years ago. We have been going to Il Fornaio for a long time. The ambiance is nice, but it is not as polished as it used to be. I did not like sitting next to the butlers station either - I think that should be hidden from guest view - too much coming and going and it was distracting. We went for my kids 17 birthday (twins) and all in all, I think we would have had a better dinner at home.Special Features:
- Always a great time hereSauceonthesideVIPDined on 8/17/2014Il Fornaio has a great view, tasty menu and relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great Food and Awesome SunsetsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Love this place and the food is always consistently perfect ! Awesome atmosphere and sunsets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively AtmosphereMaryVIPDined on 8/16/2014We decided to go to I Fornaio to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. For my tastes, it was a bit loud -- we were looking for a quiet place to celebrate our anniversary. Food was fine but the kitchen was very slow and the waiter's assistant brought out the wrong item for me -- my husband's was correct. So, we had to wait longer to get it corrected. The waiter did give us a free dessert for waiting so long. We had a nice ocean view table.Special Features:
- Beautiful ocean viewsgf502Dined on 8/11/2014Beautiful location! Pasta a la vodka and gelato with espresso were very good. Gluten free friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatMurphybc24Dined on 8/11/2014Awesome experience with delicious food! Loved the gluten free options!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soggy & Burnt PizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Ordered Vegetarian Pizza. It took 30-40 minutes to come and when it came it was soggy and at the same time burnt. For $15 definitely not worth itSpecial Features:
- What happened to the food?delmarcustomerDined on 8/7/2014Used to come here quiet a bit. After their renovation, the food has been terrible. We tried their latest Italian regional cuisine. Everything was terrible. The fennel soup was blend and flavorless. The seabass as unfresh and dry (also flavorless). The ravioli with artichoke was a joke. The artichoke tasted worst than tree bark that it was so stringy and tough. The seafood marinara pasta also didn't have any flavor. The marinara sauce was also awful, ketchup tasted better. Waiter was never around and when he was, he was very awkward. Your hostess should've noticed that 1) there weren't enough chairs 2) not enough menu 3) not enough utensil/ plate. Bus boy couldn't clean the table fast enough to get us out of there.Special Features:
- Consistently At The TopJavaDog88VIPDined on 8/4/2014Il Fornaio is always good. Great menu with weekly specials. The view in Del Mar is beautiful. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Consistent AuthenticityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014The food is consistently very good and authentic regional Italian food. The breads and pastas are homemade and fresh. The rotisserie chicken is always crispy and delicious. I enjoy their food more than I do the food in most places in Italy that I visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Anniversary Dinnertmos22002Dined on 8/2/2014Came here from Riverside county for our 28th Anniversary. In a word, the food was awesome. I had the pork shank and my wife had the sea bass. The sauces on both were to die for. Wine list was quite impressive too. Our server was attentive and friendly. The food came quickly but it took a little while to get the check - but no big deal as I was enjoying my bride's company and my stomach was more than satisfied. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014It was ok. Food was ok. Waiter was nice but hard to understand. Patio was full of 65 yrs and plus so myself and my 15 yr old didn't quite fit. Nice day, decent view do ok. Not sure I would come back again.
- Spectacular serviceKenGDined on 7/22/2014My only regret was forgetting our server's name. She was very polite, fun, attentive, and helpful. She even gave us a tiramisu when our wine of choice was unavailable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too bad they don't careOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2014They were busy, late to seat us on the reservation, and they did not really take care of us as customers. It seemed like we were an afterthought. We always had to get the attention of the waiter, when they were passing buy. Mission accomplished we will not return.
- JCSDVIPDined on 7/20/2014Favorite restaurant and our server was outstanding, even dealing with a party of 14!Special Features:
- Brandon SostreheybuddymoviesDined on 7/18/2014Highly friendly staff! They knew it was our anniversary and seated us at a great table outside, however it was a little too hot for us that day so they moved inside with no hassle. Would have liked our drinks a little sooner, but they were very busy so we didn't hold it against anyone. The food was incredible and I can't say enough about the staff being great, energetic and helpful.Special Features:
- Opening Day.. It's A winning ticketGratefuldinersDined on 7/17/2014The Del Mar Plaza was picture perfect , the scene glamour and sofistication in a coastal setting. Il fornio appeared to be the crowing jewel with their Enoteca/wine garden and restaurant! Our hostesses were all very gracious, our seating was adjusted and we were sat promptly. Thank you ladies. The menu had a limited opening day selection, burratta was Fresh, the breads were hot, entrées pasta, seafood, and beef were all delivered hot all were delicious. Service was attentive although not intrusive. The dessert, profiteroles could have came from a box and the the choc sauce was Hershey's style. Stick to Italian and do it right is my suggestion, the dessert is the last impression......so, impress! Keeping it positive I will be returning!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteDelMarDivaVIPDined on 7/15/2014Il Fornaio has a beautiful location in Del Mar and some of the tables on their spacious patio have wonderful ocean views. We made a reservation at 6:00 pm and were able to sit at one of those tables. The service was excellent and the tasting menu from the Veneto region was delicious. We tried different salads, pastas and main courses and were delighted with the food. We will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceDispleasedVIPDined on 7/12/2014We have been going to Il Fornaio since it opened and are pleased with the remodel and injection of energySpecial Features:
- Birthday Celebration DissapointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014Our hostess seemed harried and not very friendly towards us. The first table we were provided we rejected as it was almost in the bar with no view and the location was awful - it was my wife's birthday and I had specified we wanted a nice table with a view. We were disappointed in the table we were provided - it was squeezed between two large tables and there was less than a foot between us and the other diners - the table was so small the entrees could barely be placed on it...the hostess that was responsible for greeting us and providing our table barely engaged with us and when we came back to be seated somewhere else she spoke to the other hostess like we were not even standing there. Our server was very accommodating.
- sashDined on 7/10/2014I always enjoy dining at El Fornaio both in Del Mar and Walnut Creek.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great viewCurlyMamaDined on 7/9/2014Good, innovative Italian offerings. Incomparable view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NanbritNanbritDined on 7/7/2014Our foursome met for a birthday celebration which was the first visit for one of our party. Overall experience with delicious food and presentation was enjoyed by all. Our server was attentive without being obtrusive which was appreciated as well and bringing a surprise dessert that was just perfect to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome view and good foodCatfanVIPDined on 7/5/2014I made a reservation on the open table app (on the same day I wanted the reservation) and requested a table on their patio with a view. We arrived and they sat us at a table with an amazing view. They are on a hill in Del Mar, so you get great panoramic views. Don't be scared off because they are a chain - the food was good, the service was great (including allowing us to switch tables to get away from a fussy baby that was by our first table), and the sunset view was amazing. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had 5 of us.All enjoyed.LennyDined on 6/30/2014All 5 ordered different items. Myself + family of 4 from Az. Everyone totally enjoyed their drinks + appetizers + main dishes. All was cooked to perfection. Our waitress was specially charming and knowledgeable + patient. All ordered different drinks and main dishes. She made suggestions as warranted and service was wonderful. Only item missing was break and rolls. I didn't say anything at the time because I didn't want them to fill up on it but all mentioned it in the car going hom. Liked the new décor. Lenorekaplan@gmail.comSpecial Features:
- Nice, but not as good as I rememberLaurenDined on 6/28/2014Entrees were not as tasty as in years past. Both veal and cannelloni had thick sauces without much flavor. Perhaps there is a different chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was perfect!Luv2DineVIPDined on 6/27/2014We love this restaurant for the food, service and ambiance. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taking my Kids to DinnerJDPMiamiVIPDined on 6/21/2014We really enjoyed the food the service and the ambiance. We regularly some here but haven't been at this location in several months.Special Features:
- kinda blandStilllookingDined on 6/15/2014Decent selection but all was bland. Some dishes came out cold, sent it back and it came out with diff veggies. Salmon was flavorless. Linguine with seafood ok. Pasta w lobster also cold. Calamari was good but oil tasted old? Kids meal messed up and a server had problem acknowledging that. Service was great, very apologetic. Good bread. Probably won't come back. Sorry. In my book (at "fancy" restaurant) if dish comes out bad, comp something...side dish, drink, dessert... something to say sorry.Special Features:
- not so greatgarfieldDined on 6/14/2014This place live on his name and reputation.we had a nice table but the noise level was so loud it was impossible to carry a conversation.the appetiser had nothing special.my pasta arrive room temperature and taste terrible.the service was good.i will not recommend this and not go back.Special Features:
- Post renovationFreqdinerVIPDined on 6/14/2014Came back here after a long while post their recent renovation. This seems to have focused solely on cramming more seats in. The booths where many groups of 6 were jammed in were clearly too small. It looked worse than coach on a budget airline. The staff are trying but with the volume of customers food takes too long and many dishes were cold or not what was ordered. This chain seems to have gone even more mass market. I am sure an MBA in the C suite thinks this is great.
- Scenic restaurantArleneDined on 6/14/2014I usually really like this restaurant, but the table was terrible. It should not be a table for six. There was plenty of room, but it was impossible for the two end people to talk to each other. This ruined the dining experience for me. I should have requested a different table, but being Saturday night it was packed.Special Features:
- TunaGuyDined on 6/13/2014We went after my daughters graduation. The food and the service were excellent, you also cannot be the veiw. I would highly recommend Il Fornaio. I had been there in the past but had not been back since the remodel. I saw some reviews complaining about the remodel but I did not have an issue and I even sat on the booth side. The seating was fine for me.Special Features:
- Not Very GoodDisappointedItalianDined on 6/13/2014We took a couple with us because of the fabulous view over the Pacific Ocean. However, all four of us were Italian and ordered off the special menu but sadly disappointed that the flavors were missing. It was too expensive for such mediocre food. I had been there a year ago and thought it was good, but June 2014 was most disappointing.Special Features:
- Excellent for a special occasionJohnDined on 6/9/2014The special Sicillian food night was excellent as well as the special wines served.Special Features:
- Great againAdamDined on 6/8/2014The food was great yet again. But the best part was our waiter; he was super friendly and very patient with our twin infants. In fact, everyone was friendly and attentive!Special Features: