Il Fornaio - Del Mar
1555 Camino Del Mar
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Del Mar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 8587558876
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday, 10:00am - 3:00pm. Lunch: Monday - Saturday, 11:30am - 3:00pm. Dinner: Sunday - Thursday, 3:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday, 3:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Nicola Calamar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Il Fornaio - Del Mar
Step inside Il Fornaio and take a culinary journey through Italy. Early mornings bring rustic, crisp crusted bread hot from the oven accompanied by the scent of fresh brewed espresso. During lunch and dinner hours, pastas and flavorful sauces simmer while meats and vegetables roast over hot coals. Bottles of wine from small, regional wineries are uncorked to complement the dishes, which have been crafted in the custom of Italy's chefs, bakers and homemakers. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; house made pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and house made soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Il Fornaio - Del Mar - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Il Fornaio - Del Mar reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (107)great for outdoor dining (76)special occasion (56)good for groups (48)romantic (43)neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (36)great for lunch (31)notable wine list (30)hot spot (23)vibrant bar scene (23)kid-friendly (20)great for brunch (17)late-night find (11)Show More
- Always wonderfulDarlaDined on 10/29/2014Wonderful service from Gorgio, very attentive. Great ambiance as always. My Pomadoo was a little too bland so next time I'll try something different. Would love to see that they serve organic chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningSDEaterDined on 10/18/2014Party of 5 and we sat on the outdoor patio. Great view of sunset on the Pacific. We brought our own wine and a couple of us had drinks from the bar. Our server was a bit slow as we had to keep reminding her of what was needed. She may have been new. Food was awesome and the restaurant is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely meal. Superb wine.soupeaterDined on 10/13/2014The salmon was prepared superbly, plated attractively, and served by a professional. BTW, the affogato was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing VisitOccasionalDinerDined on 10/12/2014For a restaurant that was far from filled up, the service was sluggish. It was hard to determine if it was due to the waitress having too many tables to handle, and having too many at the same stage of the meal, or something else. I ordered a special dish of short ribs, and received a huge mass of meat and sauce. But the meat was rubbery, and at least half of it was inedible, consisting of gristle and chewy stuff that surrounds the bones (which had been removed). Oh, it was enough to eat, but hardly gourmet fare. Previous visits had me looking forward to the evening, and now I'll think twice about heading back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Felt I was seated at table near supplies and sun in our eyes, tho other tables available, perhaps due to appearance/age(65)? Our food was good, a birthday dessert brought w/o request, don't know how they knew?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NancDined on 10/8/2014Loved everything but the parking...cost nearly as much as the meal - even with validation! So, beware of how long you stay....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il FornaiofeinVIPDined on 10/6/2014Every time when in SD I make sure to go there for a meal. EVERYTHING is great! Love them!Special Features:
- A little loud, but worth it.Sam13Dined on 10/4/2014The food was good. I enjoyed the way the restaurant looked. The view was beautiful. The one issue I had was that it was louder than I had hoped. I would go again, but probably during a less busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below average experienceMrwolfincaDined on 10/4/2014We came here for our anniversary and had a poor experience. I thought I remembered this place having a much better ambiance. For the price and location, I was thoroughly underwhelmed. I felt like I was in a California Pizza Kitchen. Nothing wrong with CPK, but I expect more out of Il Fornaio. Loud, bright, and felt like a chain. The service was also very lacking. The waiters seemed to be visiting the other tables around us often, but our girl was invisible. She had nothing to say when she first visited the table and only stopped by later when I asked another server to bring a spoon. She never came back to pour wine, ask how our food was, or get anything else. Then she asked us 10 minutes after we got our dessert if we wanted coffee.Special Features:
- Forgot BirthdayAnnette1Dined on 10/3/2014I enterd when i made the reservation that we were celbrating a very special birthday. My mother's 80th. There was no special dessert noting!! I will not be going back!!!Special Features:
- Great view, fabulous serviceallwedoisdineoutVIPDined on 9/28/2014Our server was a young, vibrant, energetic woman who couldn't be more eager to assist us. More servers everywhere should be like Jessie!Special Features:
- Bad food bad customer serviceChipisDined on 9/27/2014Our food took and hour to get to our table. Quality of food, very poor. My husband dish was not cooked well, presentation was pretty bad. Our dishes were very late and cold. Not worth the visit!Special Features:
- Client lunchPRTRZDined on 9/26/2014Very friendly servers plus the entire staff worked together to make this lunch experience noteworthy. The food was fantastic on one and good on the other entry. The views were post card like and I would recommend this restaurant to any business that wants to give a client a memorable lunch.Special Features:
- ReStaurant week lunch event (2014)Partyof6Dined on 9/26/2014Made reservation for 6 people for lunch during restaurant week... Food n service was excellent.. Large lunch portion and delicious... Friends and I had a great time... Definitely will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week GemGailCVIPDined on 9/25/2014We enjoyed a Restaurant Week lunch at one of our favorite restaurants! Always great service and delicious food. Il Fornaio Del Mar is always a perfect spot. The Lasagna Ferrares is always fabulous. The Conchiglie Pollo is a favorite. Great spinach salad.Special Features:
- A Remarkable Restaurant Week LunchMsLPVVIPDined on 9/23/2014Our group of five was seated quickly, and at a perfect window seat with excellent ocean views, just as we'd requested in the reservation. Our Italian speaking waiter was gracious, knowledgeable, helpful and attentive without being intrusive. The Restaurant Week menu had a great selection, and none of us was unhappy with our choices at all. This was our first visit to Il Fornaio, and we'll be back. We're already thinking of bringing guests visiting in a few weeks.Special Features:
- Loved it!1234Dined on 9/16/2014Great Service! Went with a few coworkers for a team dinner. We were waiting for one person and stayed for a couple of hours, the waiters was patience and knowledgeable about the food. Everyone loved their dish, I had the Linguine Mare Chiaro (i think that is how you spell it) pasta with clams, mussels, scallops and prawns. Very good, want to try something else if I ever go back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ViewAnnaVIPDined on 9/13/2014Bringing guests from out of town to this restaurant is guaranteed to impress with both the food and view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for twojustlikeinItalyDined on 9/13/2014Finally I got to take my husband on a date for his belated birthday. We had not been to this Fornaio in a few years, we loved the remodel they just did! The server was a nice young lady that seemed to care and suggested Prosecco that was perfect for the all meal. The heirloom tomato salad was just right and the lobster bisque we could really taste lots of lobster and the black truffles, delicious! We had the local wild sea bass that was hot from the oven, very unique preparation. My husband had the Bistecca, 22 oz porterhouse that was, juicy, tender and he said, just hit the spot. Finished with the Tiramisu, we were impressed coz it tasted like the one we had in Italy! We loved this dinner and can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste of AbruzzosallyVIPDined on 9/12/2014Had an exceptionally wonderful dinner we pared the suggested wines with the suggested foods, we went off the tasting menu everything was delicious and even though we were told that they were small plates we came home unable to eat another morcel. The service in particular became fabulous when our waiter was replaced by a very lovely young lady with a wonderful smile and ambiance about her. Got my fix of wanting to be in another country by tasting this special menu.Special Features:
- CornerstoneCornerstoneDined on 9/12/2014This is the perfect dining place to bring a client. Our business meeting went extremely well due in part to the outstanding service, food and beauty/quietness of our surroundings. The waiter staff and manager were extremely friendly. We basically had want for nothing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Menu LetdownKLouDined on 9/6/2014Generally the food at Il Fornaio is very good. On this occasion we went to the Del Mar branch. We ordered from their special menu: the cannelloni was drowned in Bechamel sauce and had an inedible filling. My special chicken breast seemed to have been steamed and then placed in sauce; the skin was pale, fatty and not crisped at all. Usually, the food at Il Fornaio is excellent. We were surprised at its quality this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ill at I'lfornaiocullinarylvrDined on 9/6/2014Our family went to enjoy a nice family dinner at Il Fornaio. My husband and I had fond memories of years past of excellent food and service. Unfortunately that was not the case last Saturday night. Our server was unattentive except to take our order and 40 minutes later deliver the food. My husbands chicken dish was beige in color and over cooked. Mealy tomato salad, over salted risotto. Sadly we won't be returning to what was once one of our favorite romantic spots.Special Features:
- Fair foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/5/2014Definitely not as good as other il Fornaio restaurants we have gone too. It has gone down in quality and preparation .Special Features:
- Not going back!fussyVIPDined on 9/5/2014Husband ordered fish without olives. So his special sauce came on the side but it still had olives! My pork dish was actually cold as if it just came out of the refrigerator. I had to send it back. The third person at our table ordered chicken and was brought pork. The restaurant gave us free dessert but we would have preferred better service.
- tflemingDined on 9/4/2014Service, ho-hum. Food: husband said his entree was "okay";my entree was rather tasteless. Had nice table and good view of coastline, but not a memorable evening. Restaurant did not charge for my dinner which was beyond what I expected.Special Features:
- Remarkable flavorsDougVIPDined on 9/3/2014I had the porketta, which exhibited remarkable complex slow-cooked flavors. The wine options were very interesting. On every visit to San Diego, I arrange to have dinner at Il Fornaio in Del Mar.Special Features:
- Saturday Night OutRetiredNavyDined on 8/30/2014This was a first to Il Fornaio - Del Mar. We were seated promptly (had a reservation). Had a gorgeous view of the ocean with the sun setting. The food and service were done well. Have been to Il Fornaio - Coronado several times before and will probably choose to go there again over Del Mar. Seating is not as crowded which makes (for me) the dining experience more relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a great experiance !!!!!!!!!lovegreatfoodDined on 8/29/2014service is accommodating but not pushy. cannelloni: large portion, texture divine, flavorless over the years everything I have had was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let downDude4foodDined on 8/29/2014I had been to Il Fornaio before and for a chain, it was acceptable and not bad. In Del Mar, things changed. Maybe I ordered the wrong dishes, I don't know but the ones brought out to me were mediocre at best. I had a beet salad that was boring and minuscule. I ordered an intriguing (I thought) dish of fresh Italian ring pasta, fried egg plant and grilled octopus in a tomato based sauce. The eggplant was really sparse and the octopus was a no show! I asked my server if octopus took a day off and she assured me it was in there. I never found it and was quite disappointed in this dish. If your seeking Italian food in or near Del Mar, keep searching
- Haven't gone here for yearsNeighborVIPDined on 8/23/2014And now I know why! A tourist trap with a view. Won't be back again for years. Poor service, tables piled on top of each other, not quality food. Just a big disappointment.Special Features:
- Noisy and Mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Food is mediocre and expensive. It is VERY noisy and crowded and very hard to hear conversation. Definitely would not go back!Special Features:
- dznQADined on 8/22/2014The place was awesome! After playing golf at Morgan Run, my friend and I went to dinner on Friday Aug 22. The server was extremely wonderful and the general manager, Matthew Galli took care of us. He extended his friendliness to all the diners as I observed him doing his rounds. He is commendable! Great experience overall and I will spread the word and surely I will bring my family from OC to Del Mar to dine in at this place next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceTracyGDined on 8/22/2014We had a family dinner with 7 picky eaters and the restaurant did not disappoint. The view is incredible and the service was friendly and attentive. Everyone enjoyed their meal (no doggie bags needed!) and I would recommend Il Fornaio to those that enjoy excellent food with a beautiful view.Special Features:
- just okeatinDined on 8/18/2014Our dinner was just ok - the service was also just ok. We repeatedly had to ask for more olive oil for the bread and water. The food was not as good as a remembered from 20 years ago. We have been going to Il Fornaio for a long time. The ambiance is nice, but it is not as polished as it used to be. I did not like sitting next to the butlers station either - I think that should be hidden from guest view - too much coming and going and it was distracting. We went for my kids 17 birthday (twins) and all in all, I think we would have had a better dinner at home.Special Features:
- Always a great time hereSauceonthesideVIPDined on 8/17/2014Il Fornaio has a great view, tasty menu and relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great Food and Awesome SunsetsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Love this place and the food is always consistently perfect ! Awesome atmosphere and sunsets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively AtmosphereMaryVIPDined on 8/16/2014We decided to go to I Fornaio to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. For my tastes, it was a bit loud -- we were looking for a quiet place to celebrate our anniversary. Food was fine but the kitchen was very slow and the waiter's assistant brought out the wrong item for me -- my husband's was correct. So, we had to wait longer to get it corrected. The waiter did give us a free dessert for waiting so long. We had a nice ocean view table.Special Features:
- Outstanding ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014A beautiful view, excellent food and professional service. The restaurant hums with energy. The staff works together as a team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ocean viewsgf502Dined on 8/11/2014Beautiful location! Pasta a la vodka and gelato with espresso were very good. Gluten free friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.