Il Fornaio - Del Mar
1555 Camino Del Mar
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Del Mar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 8587558876
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday, 10:00am - 3:00pm. Lunch: Monday - Saturday, 11:30am - 3:00pm. Dinner: Sunday - Thursday, 3:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday, 3:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Nicola Calamar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Il Fornaio - Del Mar
Step inside Il Fornaio and take a culinary journey through Italy. Early mornings bring rustic, crisp crusted bread hot from the oven accompanied by the scent of fresh brewed espresso. During lunch and dinner hours, pastas and flavorful sauces simmer while meats and vegetables roast over hot coals. Bottles of wine from small, regional wineries are uncorked to complement the dishes, which have been crafted in the custom of Italy's chefs, bakers and homemakers. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; house made pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and house made soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Il Fornaio - Del Mar - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Il Fornaio - Del Mar reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (117)great for outdoor dining (81)special occasion (58)romantic (51)good for groups (42)neighborhood gem (38)fit for foodies (33)great for lunch (33)notable wine list (25)kid-friendly (24)vibrant bar scene (23)great for brunch (21)hot spot (19)late-night find (10)Show More
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Great Service! Went with a few coworkers for a team dinner. We were waiting for one person and stayed for a couple of hours, the waiters was patience and knowledgeable about the food. Everyone loved their dish, I had the Linguine Mare Chiaro (i think that is how you spell it) pasta with clams, mussels, scallops and prawns. Very good, want to try something else if I ever go back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ViewAnnaVIPDined on 9/13/2014Bringing guests from out of town to this restaurant is guaranteed to impress with both the food and view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for twoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Finally I got to take my husband on a date for his belated birthday. We had not been to this Fornaio in a few years, we loved the remodel they just did! The server was a nice young lady that seemed to care and suggested Prosecco that was perfect for the all meal. The heirloom tomato salad was just right and the lobster bisque we could really taste lots of lobster and the black truffles, delicious! We had the local wild sea bass that was hot from the oven, very unique preparation. My husband had the Bistecca, 22 oz porterhouse that was, juicy, tender and he said, just hit the spot. Finished with the Tiramisu, we were impressed coz it tasted like the one we had in Italy! We loved this dinner and can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste of AbruzzosallyVIPDined on 9/12/2014Had an exceptionally wonderful dinner we pared the suggested wines with the suggested foods, we went off the tasting menu everything was delicious and even though we were told that they were small plates we came home unable to eat another morcel. The service in particular became fabulous when our waiter was replaced by a very lovely young lady with a wonderful smile and ambiance about her. Got my fix of wanting to be in another country by tasting this special menu.Special Features:
- CornerstoneCornerstoneDined on 9/12/2014This is the perfect dining place to bring a client. Our business meeting went extremely well due in part to the outstanding service, food and beauty/quietness of our surroundings. The waiter staff and manager were extremely friendly. We basically had want for nothing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Menu LetdownKLouDined on 9/6/2014Generally the food at Il Fornaio is very good. On this occasion we went to the Del Mar branch. We ordered from their special menu: the cannelloni was drowned in Bechamel sauce and had an inedible filling. My special chicken breast seemed to have been steamed and then placed in sauce; the skin was pale, fatty and not crisped at all. Usually, the food at Il Fornaio is excellent. We were surprised at its quality this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ill at I'lfornaiocullinarylvrDined on 9/6/2014Our family went to enjoy a nice family dinner at Il Fornaio. My husband and I had fond memories of years past of excellent food and service. Unfortunately that was not the case last Saturday night. Our server was unattentive except to take our order and 40 minutes later deliver the food. My husbands chicken dish was beige in color and over cooked. Mealy tomato salad, over salted risotto. Sadly we won't be returning to what was once one of our favorite romantic spots.Special Features:
- Fair foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/5/2014Definitely not as good as other il Fornaio restaurants we have gone too. It has gone down in quality and preparation .Special Features:
- Not going back!fussyVIPDined on 9/5/2014Husband ordered fish without olives. So his special sauce came on the side but it still had olives! My pork dish was actually cold as if it just came out of the refrigerator. I had to send it back. The third person at our table ordered chicken and was brought pork. The restaurant gave us free dessert but we would have preferred better service.
- tflemingDined on 9/4/2014Service, ho-hum. Food: husband said his entree was "okay";my entree was rather tasteless. Had nice table and good view of coastline, but not a memorable evening. Restaurant did not charge for my dinner which was beyond what I expected.Special Features:
- Remarkable flavorsDougVIPDined on 9/3/2014I had the porketta, which exhibited remarkable complex slow-cooked flavors. The wine options were very interesting. On every visit to San Diego, I arrange to have dinner at Il Fornaio in Del Mar.Special Features:
- Saturday Night OutRetiredNavyDined on 8/30/2014This was a first to Il Fornaio - Del Mar. We were seated promptly (had a reservation). Had a gorgeous view of the ocean with the sun setting. The food and service were done well. Have been to Il Fornaio - Coronado several times before and will probably choose to go there again over Del Mar. Seating is not as crowded which makes (for me) the dining experience more relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a great experiance !!!!!!!!!lovegreatfoodDined on 8/29/2014service is accommodating but not pushy. cannelloni: large portion, texture divine, flavorless over the years everything I have had was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let downDude4foodDined on 8/29/2014I had been to Il Fornaio before and for a chain, it was acceptable and not bad. In Del Mar, things changed. Maybe I ordered the wrong dishes, I don't know but the ones brought out to me were mediocre at best. I had a beet salad that was boring and minuscule. I ordered an intriguing (I thought) dish of fresh Italian ring pasta, fried egg plant and grilled octopus in a tomato based sauce. The eggplant was really sparse and the octopus was a no show! I asked my server if octopus took a day off and she assured me it was in there. I never found it and was quite disappointed in this dish. If your seeking Italian food in or near Del Mar, keep searching
- Haven't gone here for yearsNeighborVIPDined on 8/23/2014And now I know why! A tourist trap with a view. Won't be back again for years. Poor service, tables piled on top of each other, not quality food. Just a big disappointment.Special Features:
- Noisy and Mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Food is mediocre and expensive. It is VERY noisy and crowded and very hard to hear conversation. Definitely would not go back!Special Features:
- dznQADined on 8/22/2014The place was awesome! After playing golf at Morgan Run, my friend and I went to dinner on Friday Aug 22. The server was extremely wonderful and the general manager, Matthew Galli took care of us. He extended his friendliness to all the diners as I observed him doing his rounds. He is commendable! Great experience overall and I will spread the word and surely I will bring my family from OC to Del Mar to dine in at this place next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceTracyGDined on 8/22/2014We had a family dinner with 7 picky eaters and the restaurant did not disappoint. The view is incredible and the service was friendly and attentive. Everyone enjoyed their meal (no doggie bags needed!) and I would recommend Il Fornaio to those that enjoy excellent food with a beautiful view.Special Features:
- just okeatinDined on 8/18/2014Our dinner was just ok - the service was also just ok. We repeatedly had to ask for more olive oil for the bread and water. The food was not as good as a remembered from 20 years ago. We have been going to Il Fornaio for a long time. The ambiance is nice, but it is not as polished as it used to be. I did not like sitting next to the butlers station either - I think that should be hidden from guest view - too much coming and going and it was distracting. We went for my kids 17 birthday (twins) and all in all, I think we would have had a better dinner at home.Special Features:
- Always a great time hereSauceonthesideVIPDined on 8/17/2014Il Fornaio has a great view, tasty menu and relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great Food and Awesome SunsetsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Love this place and the food is always consistently perfect ! Awesome atmosphere and sunsets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively AtmosphereMaryVIPDined on 8/16/2014We decided to go to I Fornaio to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. For my tastes, it was a bit loud -- we were looking for a quiet place to celebrate our anniversary. Food was fine but the kitchen was very slow and the waiter's assistant brought out the wrong item for me -- my husband's was correct. So, we had to wait longer to get it corrected. The waiter did give us a free dessert for waiting so long. We had a nice ocean view table.Special Features:
- Outstanding ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014A beautiful view, excellent food and professional service. The restaurant hums with energy. The staff works together as a team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ocean viewsgf502Dined on 8/11/2014Beautiful location! Pasta a la vodka and gelato with espresso were very good. Gluten free friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatMurphybc24Dined on 8/11/2014Awesome experience with delicious food! Loved the gluten free options!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meal with a ViewKatiedeluxDined on 8/10/2014We're visiting from out of town and pleasantly surprised to see a familiar Il Fornaio. We had reservations at 7pm but didn't get seat until 7:30. Not a good start... However, we asked and got a table in the outside dining area which made the dining experience much more enjoyable. Food was good, but took a long time and two dishes were delivered to our table in error. Overall, good meal and the views were a plus. Tips: Ask for a window seat or patio dining when possible. It makes for a pleasant dining experience (especially around sunset).Special Features:
- Soggy & Burnt PizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Ordered Vegetarian Pizza. It took 30-40 minutes to come and when it came it was soggy and at the same time burnt. For $15 definitely not worth itSpecial Features:
- What happened to the food?delmarcustomerDined on 8/7/2014Used to come here quiet a bit. After their renovation, the food has been terrible. We tried their latest Italian regional cuisine. Everything was terrible. The fennel soup was blend and flavorless. The seabass as unfresh and dry (also flavorless). The ravioli with artichoke was a joke. The artichoke tasted worst than tree bark that it was so stringy and tough. The seafood marinara pasta also didn't have any flavor. The marinara sauce was also awful, ketchup tasted better. Waiter was never around and when he was, he was very awkward. Your hostess should've noticed that 1) there weren't enough chairs 2) not enough menu 3) not enough utensil/ plate. Bus boy couldn't clean the table fast enough to get us out of there.Special Features:
- Consistently At The TopJavaDog88VIPDined on 8/4/2014Il Fornaio is always good. Great menu with weekly specials. The view in Del Mar is beautiful. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Consistent AuthenticityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014The food is consistently very good and authentic regional Italian food. The breads and pastas are homemade and fresh. The rotisserie chicken is always crispy and delicious. I enjoy their food more than I do the food in most places in Italy that I visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Anniversary Dinnertmos22002Dined on 8/2/2014Came here from Riverside county for our 28th Anniversary. In a word, the food was awesome. I had the pork shank and my wife had the sea bass. The sauces on both were to die for. Wine list was quite impressive too. Our server was attentive and friendly. The food came quickly but it took a little while to get the check - but no big deal as I was enjoying my bride's company and my stomach was more than satisfied. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014It was ok. Food was ok. Waiter was nice but hard to understand. Patio was full of 65 yrs and plus so myself and my 15 yr old didn't quite fit. Nice day, decent view do ok. Not sure I would come back again.
- Spectacular serviceKenGDined on 7/22/2014My only regret was forgetting our server's name. She was very polite, fun, attentive, and helpful. She even gave us a tiramisu when our wine of choice was unavailable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too bad they don't careOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2014They were busy, late to seat us on the reservation, and they did not really take care of us as customers. It seemed like we were an afterthought. We always had to get the attention of the waiter, when they were passing buy. Mission accomplished we will not return.
- JCSDVIPDined on 7/20/2014Favorite restaurant and our server was outstanding, even dealing with a party of 14!Special Features:
- Brandon SostreheybuddymoviesDined on 7/18/2014Highly friendly staff! They knew it was our anniversary and seated us at a great table outside, however it was a little too hot for us that day so they moved inside with no hassle. Would have liked our drinks a little sooner, but they were very busy so we didn't hold it against anyone. The food was incredible and I can't say enough about the staff being great, energetic and helpful.Special Features:
- Opening Day.. It's A winning ticketGratefuldinersDined on 7/17/2014The Del Mar Plaza was picture perfect , the scene glamour and sofistication in a coastal setting. Il fornio appeared to be the crowing jewel with their Enoteca/wine garden and restaurant! Our hostesses were all very gracious, our seating was adjusted and we were sat promptly. Thank you ladies. The menu had a limited opening day selection, burratta was Fresh, the breads were hot, entrées pasta, seafood, and beef were all delivered hot all were delicious. Service was attentive although not intrusive. The dessert, profiteroles could have came from a box and the the choc sauce was Hershey's style. Stick to Italian and do it right is my suggestion, the dessert is the last impression......so, impress! Keeping it positive I will be returning!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteDelMarDivaVIPDined on 7/15/2014Il Fornaio has a beautiful location in Del Mar and some of the tables on their spacious patio have wonderful ocean views. We made a reservation at 6:00 pm and were able to sit at one of those tables. The service was excellent and the tasting menu from the Veneto region was delicious. We tried different salads, pastas and main courses and were delighted with the food. We will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceDispleasedVIPDined on 7/12/2014We have been going to Il Fornaio since it opened and are pleased with the remodel and injection of energySpecial Features:
- Birthday Celebration DissapointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014Our hostess seemed harried and not very friendly towards us. The first table we were provided we rejected as it was almost in the bar with no view and the location was awful - it was my wife's birthday and I had specified we wanted a nice table with a view. We were disappointed in the table we were provided - it was squeezed between two large tables and there was less than a foot between us and the other diners - the table was so small the entrees could barely be placed on it...the hostess that was responsible for greeting us and providing our table barely engaged with us and when we came back to be seated somewhere else she spoke to the other hostess like we were not even standing there. Our server was very accommodating.