Il Fornaio - Coronado
1333 First St.
Coronado, CA 92118Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Coronado
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 6194374911
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday, 10:30am - 2:00pm. Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 4:00pm; Saturday - Sunday, 10:30pm - 4:00pm. Dinner: Monday -Sunday - 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Marco Nocco
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Monthly Wine-Dinner; Cooking classes; Wine-Tasting please contact us for more details on date and time. (619-437-4911) Buon Divertimento
A word from Il Fornaio - Coronado
Step inside Il Fornaio and take a culinary journey through Italy. Early mornings bring rustic, crisp crusted bread hot from the oven accompanied by the scent of fresh brewed espresso. During lunch and dinner hours, pastas and flavorful sauces simmer while meats and vegetables roast over hot coals. Bottles of wine from small, regional wineries are uncorked to complement the dishes, which have been crafted in the custom of Italy's chefs, bakers and homemakers. Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; house made pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and house made soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornaio - Coronado reviews from OpenTable diners
244 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (215)special occasion (149)great for outdoor dining (135)romantic (133)good for groups (91)notable wine list (73)fit for foodies (68)great for lunch (66)neighborhood gem (54)great for brunch (35)kid-friendly (33)hot spot (30)late-night find (22)vibrant bar scene (10)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014EXCELENT PLACE FOR A SPECIAL OCCASION. GREAT SERVICE, DELICIOUS FOODSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an amazing place! Favorite!KevinAndLauraVegansDined on 10/16/2014Really, there aren't enough kind words to describe this experience. They took great care to get our order just right and the food and ambiance were perfection. Would go again and again, and recommend to couples or groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il FornaioOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014We chose this restaurant to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary, and it did not disappoint. Service was tremendous. Food was fantastic.Special Features:
- Delightful, As Always!c8bellDined on 10/13/2014We have been to this Il Fornaio multiple times to celebrate special occasions, and it is always wonderful. Great location with beautiful views of the San Diego Bay and city. A beautifully designed dining room, with high ceilings and great sweeping arches. Very good service and yummy food and wine.Special Features:
- Never disappointsTravelerswifeDined on 10/12/2014Every time I come to San Diego, I choose this restaurant to have lunch and dinner. I have never been disappointed with the food and service. The view is to die for and always good service.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceFoodieDined on 10/12/2014All around delicious food, great service and beautiful view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of town group visits Il FornaioeventcoordinatorDined on 10/9/2014We were in town for a work conference I took my team of 25 to Il Fornaio for dinner. The view of Coronado was spectacular! The parking was easy and I cannot say enough about the wait staff. We were in a bit of a time crunch and I simply mentioned it to the server and she absolutely bent over backwards to help us make our schedule. All that without compromising a speck of the service or food quality. The food was delicious in taste and presentation. Everything was absolutely fantastic! Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/9/2014No complaints EXCEPT a party of 25+ was seated immediately behind us on a small outdoor patio. This made an exceptional space feel crowded and the noise level go way up....I was not upset but very disappointed for my party of 7 that I had invited for my birthday dinner. This was a Thursday night so I am sure there were other spaces available for this large party without cramping our style and comfort. Why, why, why?Special Features:
- Great Night OutLovetoeat58Dined on 10/8/2014Beautiful location, excellent service, reasonable prices. We'll go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spectacular view!carmelvalleyfoodieDined on 10/7/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in San Diego to go to when I have out of town guests. Great food and a spectacular view of the SD skyline and harbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another GREAT evening...EricDined on 10/6/2014I had family visiting from Chicago and we took her to our favorite place on Coronado. Everything was amazing, as it always is. Thank you, Il Fornaio.Special Features:
- it was nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014It was a nice pleasant dinner. The food was good, but i'm not a "going to a fancy restaurant" kind of person so my experience was just good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/4/2014Beautiful spot looking back across bay at City, the Midway and more. Ferry ride and few minute walk make it a perfect add on from downtown. Food was great, service "Sarah" was terrific, friendly and fun.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/4/2014Everything was great. Excellent food, great customer service. We were a party of 17 and had a great experience.Special Features:
- Favorite sport in Coronado LandingEager2enjoyVIPDined on 10/3/2014Another great dinner with attentive and pleasant service from Gabriella and Chris. I live in Northern California and when visiting family in San Diego an evening dining at Il Forniao is always on my list! I'm never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME ITALIAN & VIEWDaniDinesDined on 10/1/2014Il Fornaio is located right on the water of Coronado Island, so the view is spectacular as you look across at the San Diego skyline as it goes from day to night. The food is delicious and offers a variety of Italian dishes, as well as incredible desserts. And don't miss the olive bread that is served hot to your table. Yummy! It's a winner!Special Features:
- staff make a restauranthappydinerDined on 9/30/2014Its always the staff who make a difference - all are extremely attentive and welcoming from front of staff to the team of chefs - special thanks to Guido for looking after us and Marco for being so charming with our Brasilian guestsSpecial Features:
- WOW!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014The food, the views, the ambiance, the service…It was all simply fantastic!! My wife and I felt pampered and taken care of all evening, from the management on down! Highly recommended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BellaDined on 9/28/2014Our waiter was excellent, he was always near by but not intrusive. The bar did a great job. One of the best vodka martinis I've ever had. Wine list was extensive and very good. We chose not to do pasta on this day, instead we had three different dishes, one beef, one veal and one fish. All excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful!TiggerfinsDined on 9/28/2014We had a fabulous, leisurely brunch here our last weekend on Coronado. The food was excellent, the service attentive but not stifling, and the views stunning. We will return again and again, alone and with all our friends!Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014A beautiful setting in Coronado, California. The food was superb and the scenery gorgeous! Our waiter Carlos was excellent, professional, and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bayview fridaycarloverDined on 9/26/2014We had lunch here for restaurant week on a Friday. We had reservations and they seated us at the last waterfront table. Beautiful view, great staff and service, and excellent fresh food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il Fornaio Thursday night dinnerchobotnicaDined on 9/25/2014My beef tenderloin was cooked to perfection! The calamari was little too greasy and needed to be cooked little more cause the breading was coming off easily. Other than that our waitress, Anna, was excellent, loved her!! The view of downtown was incredible too! We will be definitely coming back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amaizing viewwanananDined on 9/21/2014amaizing view with romance light and great service but I didn't like the food 100%Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Food was OK ..nothing too delicious. Noise level was too high. It felt as if it were banquet food, waiter was helpful yet not very attentive. I would probably never come here again.Special Features:
- DisappointingSavannahFanDined on 9/19/2014We expected our dining experience to be similar to that of our last visit to Il Fornaio in Del Mar. Unfortunately, it was not. Our impression is that there was not enough wait staff. Our bar order (just two drinks) was filled promptly it seemed by the bartender. But the waiter left the drinks sitting in our view for at least 10 minutes before we had to ask about them. After being seated at our table, our waiter showed up after a longer than expected period of time. Once our order was taken, our wine arrived prior to our salads which was fine. Our food arrived in a reasonable amount of time. However, after our first couple of bites, we realized that nobody had offered any fresh Parmesan. We had to request that.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014Great restaurant with a beautiful view of san diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner ReviewJimNDined on 9/19/2014Good Italian food. My wife likes the pasta's and I like the chicken dishes. If you come for dinner, reservations are a must. I was there on a Friday night and it was a little chaotic and noisy, but that is normally expected on a Friday night. Great view of the San Diego harbor. Parking is validated by the restaurant but you have to ask them to stamp your ticket.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experienceldyluvDined on 9/19/2014I had the gluten free pasta pomodoro and it was outstanding! My husband's chicken was dry, but the other two pasta dishes that our friends had were great! The staff was perfect and the view is killer! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner CelebrationAce67guyDined on 9/16/2014I booked this restaurant for the great views that it has of downtown San Diego. The host was kind enough to give us a great table with a view knowing it was for a birthday dinner celebration. The waiter and his assistants were very friendly and attentive to our needs. The food was excellent and very delicious! Overall a fantastic evening birthday dinner celebration with great views, food and friendly staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food is always deliciousfoodgloriousfoodDined on 9/16/2014My husband and I have been to Il Fornaio a few times for date nights. We have yet to have a so so to bad meal. The food and service is always good. My only disappointment this time, was it took too long for the waiter to acknowledge us when we were first seated. I had to ask a busboy if he knew who our waiter was. Once the waiter arrived he was polite.Special Features:
- Gorgeous view of San Diego.BeachgirlDined on 9/14/2014The only place to go for fabulous view of San Diego skyline across the bay. Beautiful day or night. The food is delicious. The service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 Star Service from GladysloveItalianDined on 9/14/2014We love trying the different dishes and wine from Italy at Il Fornaio, food is always on point. The fresh, hot bread always wins me over along with the fabulous dessert, Rosina, a chocolate cake filled with raspberries! As for the service, it's simply amazing. Gladys is the best server out there. She takes excellent care of us, and always makes sure our wine glasses are filled and explains the menu in detail. She's friendly, lots of fun and super knowledgeable. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Saturday eveningkyneburgaDined on 9/13/2014We brought two visitors from the UK and two friends who had birthdays. We had a lovely timeSpecial Features:
- A Wonderful EveningeatoutoftenVIPDined on 9/13/2014It Fornaio on Coronado is an exceptional place to dine for either lunch or dinner, as far as I'm concerned. The setting is spectacular, the food is superb and the service is very accommodating.Special Features:
- EmmieDined on 9/13/2014I wanted to take my assoicate and her husband to dinner for their wedding anniversary. We love Coronado and thought Il Fornaio would be a good choice. It was fantastic! We were there to see the sun set and then the beautiful night sky over the city. The food was delicious, the menu varied and the service excellent. They were very busy but we never felt rushed. Their GM Luca Allieri was amazing, remembering names and offering a complimentary cocktail. Our guests were very pleased and no doubt will return to Il Fornaio as will we.Special Features:
- Wonderful service and foodSirDeeDined on 9/12/2014Four of us dined for a birthday dinner. We were all impressed with the service, the ambiance of the restaurant, and the friendliness of the staff. Two of us had pasta and found the dishes excellent. Two of our group had chicken, but unfortunately their experience was not as good. Initially they had the wrong salad delivered, but that was quickly remedied. The chicken dish did not have a pleasing presentation, and the meat had many small pieces of bone in the pieces were eaten, causing them to often pick out the bones as they were eating. I would comfortably recommend your restaurant for the pasta, but not for the chicken.Special Features:
- Great for that special occasion.TraceyDined on 9/11/2014We ate here once before and we loved it so much, we now celebrate special occasions here and love to bring new people here to dine so they can experience the wonderful view and the great food they have.Special Features:
- wonderful evening...goodtravel1Dined on 9/11/2014We enjoyed a delicious dinner of steamed mussels that the general manager (Luca) asked the chef to prepare for us (these were not on the menu). We were treated royally and appreciated the excellent service and lovely view of the bay.Special Features:
- My 37th Anniversary CelebrationRubiDined on 9/10/2014My husband and I were very delight to celebrate our 37th anniversary at Il Fornaio. Since the moment we stepped into the restaurant, we were able to feel that we were going to spend a romantic night, for they sat us in a very nice spot facing the beautiful view of San Diego. The service and the food was really good especially the bread. We were also surprised with an exquisite "Tiramisu" free of charge, which we thought was a very nice detail on behalf of the restaurant with their customers. In short, we spent a very romantic celebration at your place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.