Il Fornaio - Coronado
1333 First St.
Coronado, CA 92118Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Coronado
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: (619) 437-4911
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday, 10:30am - 2:00pm. Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 4:00pm; Saturday - Sunday, 10:30pm - 4:00pm. Dinner: Monday -Sunday - 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Marco Nocco
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Monthly Wine-Dinner; Cooking classes; Wine-Tasting please contact us for more details on date and time. (619-437-4911) Buon Divertimento
A word from Il Fornaio - Coronado
Step inside Il Fornaio and take a culinary journey through Italy. Early mornings bring rustic, crisp crusted bread hot from the oven accompanied by the scent of fresh brewed espresso. During lunch and dinner hours, pastas and flavorful sauces simmer while meats and vegetables roast over hot coals. Bottles of wine from small, regional wineries are uncorked to complement the dishes, which have been crafted in the custom of Italy's chefs, bakers and homemakers. Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; house made pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and house made soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornaio - Coronado reviews from OpenTable diners
224 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (191)special occasion (140)romantic (126)great for outdoor dining (118)good for groups (86)notable wine list (69)fit for foodies (65)great for lunch (58)neighborhood gem (58)hot spot (30)great for brunch (24)kid-friendly (22)late-night find (18)vibrant bar scene (8)Show More
- Affordable, quality diningmberDined on 11/20/2014Everything was excellent about Il Fornaio with the exception of our booth. The booth was a tight fit for two. Lots of better seats available so don't be deterred.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceCaroleDined on 11/16/2014The restaurant was practically empty and service was slow. Took an hour to get appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to be with friends.Marla17Dined on 11/14/2014We went back to Il Fornaio to celebrate a birthday and just reminded ourselves how much it has the whole package! Service was attentive without being cloying. The special 3 course dinners they have from a region are a good value and the choice of wine flights complimented things so well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Came with a friend several weeks ago and was so impressed that I came back and brought a different friend. Both times were excellent, our servers were very impressive and the food was incredible. Thank you for making my time with you so wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed speaking Italian with Adrien.foodmusicloverDined on 11/13/2014The Branzino on the 3-course Tasting Menu was squisito- exquisite! Bravo al capocuoco!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian foodLencherylVIPDined on 11/12/2014This restaurant always provides great Italian food🐵along with excellent service.it is one of the few restaurants which is great both for business and social dining,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful scenic viewCKButlerDined on 11/10/2014I had a first date at this restaurant, they had nice and cozy outdoor dining with a great view of downtown San Diego from across the bay. Food was great and it was quiet so you could have great conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Caprese and RavioliSFDinerDined on 11/9/2014The caprese was odd.. three tomato halves grilled on the inside topped with mozzarella and basil. This only looked cool. Lots of cutting, and most of the tomato had no oil/salt to marinate. No balsamic to be found - except where offered for our bread. The sausage ravioli was a bit overcooked and the sauce looked and tasted like it was from a can - very runny. Good bread here, and of course good view.Special Features:
- Not worth a second visitLamrDined on 11/9/2014Slow service, plain and unseasoned food, American twist of classical Italian food. Just a brand and pretty view
- Amazing location, delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014I've been coming to Il Fornaio in Coronado since I moved to San Diego 9 years ago. It's my go to restaurant when I want delicious Italian food, and a great view. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Evening with FriendsEricDined on 11/8/2014Location is outstanding with views of the city. Service and food was very good and met all our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything but the servicediddy98Dined on 11/2/2014My dining group and myself enjoyed the restaurant, the food, and the view. Our server was less than adequate. His frustration was evident with every order he took. I feel he should have asked for back up and assistance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choice special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014Excellent choice for special occasions but it is expensive....Special Features:
- Beautiful ViewSteveDined on 10/31/2014We really enjoyed dining at this restaurant. It was a special occasion and the view of San Diego at night was breathtaking. The food was good and the service was too. I would highly recommend Il Fornaio to my friends and family.Special Features:
- Dinner to dream of.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/30/2014Very attentive, genuinely polite wait staff. The food was prepared with spice to perfection. The perfect subtle flavor that invited you to savor so very slowly. The ample portion of sea bass was moist and piping hot with vegetables that were perfectly cooked. Loved the Tiramisu. My favorite menu choice will always be their Risotto of the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcelentLhvcDined on 10/27/2014It's a very nice and fine choice to dine with friends. Beautiful view.Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningFrankDined on 10/25/2014As always, this was a wonderful evening. The food was great. The service was great. Everything was perfect for our anniversary celebration.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014Staff friendly but hurried. Food was disappointing for the price, nothing special. View was beautiful. This was second visit to this restrurant and will probably be last.Special Features:
- mixed bagOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014I had mixed feelings about the food quality, given the prices. My salad (pomodoro) was minimalist for $10, just 4 tomato slices with onions, oil and garnish. My companion's pasta dish was nice, noodles with a variety of mushrooms. My pasta dish was a disappointing, half-crescents (like ravioli) filled with sausage and topped with bacon bits. It was OK, but nothing special. And it was dry. I expected a sauce or herbed butter, or something. For a place that touts hand-made gourmet pasta dishes, this was sad. I must say my partner's salmon dish was outstanding, with nuances of tastes and textures. So, as I say, a mixed bag. Overall, I'd give it a B- for the food, A- for ambiance and service.Special Features:
- KARINEDined on 10/18/2014EXCELENT PLACE FOR A SPECIAL OCCASION. GREAT SERVICE, DELICIOUS FOODSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an amazing place! Favorite!KevinAndLauraVegansDined on 10/16/2014Really, there aren't enough kind words to describe this experience. They took great care to get our order just right and the food and ambiance were perfection. Would go again and again, and recommend to couples or groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il FornaioOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014We chose this restaurant to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary, and it did not disappoint. Service was tremendous. Food was fantastic.Special Features:
- Delightful, As Always!c8bellDined on 10/13/2014We have been to this Il Fornaio multiple times to celebrate special occasions, and it is always wonderful. Great location with beautiful views of the San Diego Bay and city. A beautifully designed dining room, with high ceilings and great sweeping arches. Very good service and yummy food and wine.Special Features:
- Never disappointsTravelerswifeVIPDined on 10/12/2014Every time I come to San Diego, I choose this restaurant to have lunch and dinner. I have never been disappointed with the food and service. The view is to die for and always good service.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceFoodieDined on 10/12/2014All around delicious food, great service and beautiful view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of town group visits Il FornaioeventcoordinatorDined on 10/9/2014We were in town for a work conference I took my team of 25 to Il Fornaio for dinner. The view of Coronado was spectacular! The parking was easy and I cannot say enough about the wait staff. We were in a bit of a time crunch and I simply mentioned it to the server and she absolutely bent over backwards to help us make our schedule. All that without compromising a speck of the service or food quality. The food was delicious in taste and presentation. Everything was absolutely fantastic! Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/9/2014No complaints EXCEPT a party of 25+ was seated immediately behind us on a small outdoor patio. This made an exceptional space feel crowded and the noise level go way up....I was not upset but very disappointed for my party of 7 that I had invited for my birthday dinner. This was a Thursday night so I am sure there were other spaces available for this large party without cramping our style and comfort. Why, why, why?Special Features:
- Great Night OutLovetoeat58Dined on 10/8/2014Beautiful location, excellent service, reasonable prices. We'll go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spectacular view!carmelvalleyfoodieDined on 10/7/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in San Diego to go to when I have out of town guests. Great food and a spectacular view of the SD skyline and harbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another GREAT evening...EricDined on 10/6/2014I had family visiting from Chicago and we took her to our favorite place on Coronado. Everything was amazing, as it always is. Thank you, Il Fornaio.Special Features:
- it was nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014It was a nice pleasant dinner. The food was good, but i'm not a "going to a fancy restaurant" kind of person so my experience was just good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/4/2014Beautiful spot looking back across bay at City, the Midway and more. Ferry ride and few minute walk make it a perfect add on from downtown. Food was great, service "Sarah" was terrific, friendly and fun.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/4/2014Everything was great. Excellent food, great customer service. We were a party of 17 and had a great experience.Special Features:
- Favorite sport in Coronado LandingEager2enjoyVIPDined on 10/3/2014Another great dinner with attentive and pleasant service from Gabriella and Chris. I live in Northern California and when visiting family in San Diego an evening dining at Il Forniao is always on my list! I'm never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME ITALIAN & VIEWDaniDinesDined on 10/1/2014Il Fornaio is located right on the water of Coronado Island, so the view is spectacular as you look across at the San Diego skyline as it goes from day to night. The food is delicious and offers a variety of Italian dishes, as well as incredible desserts. And don't miss the olive bread that is served hot to your table. Yummy! It's a winner!Special Features:
- staff make a restauranthappydinerDined on 9/30/2014Its always the staff who make a difference - all are extremely attentive and welcoming from front of staff to the team of chefs - special thanks to Guido for looking after us and Marco for being so charming with our Brasilian guestsSpecial Features:
- WOW!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014The food, the views, the ambiance, the service…It was all simply fantastic!! My wife and I felt pampered and taken care of all evening, from the management on down! Highly recommended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BellaDined on 9/28/2014Our waiter was excellent, he was always near by but not intrusive. The bar did a great job. One of the best vodka martinis I've ever had. Wine list was extensive and very good. We chose not to do pasta on this day, instead we had three different dishes, one beef, one veal and one fish. All excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful!TiggerfinsDined on 9/28/2014We had a fabulous, leisurely brunch here our last weekend on Coronado. The food was excellent, the service attentive but not stifling, and the views stunning. We will return again and again, alone and with all our friends!Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014A beautiful setting in Coronado, California. The food was superb and the scenery gorgeous! Our waiter Carlos was excellent, professional, and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.