Il Fornaio - Coronado
1333 First St.
Coronado, CA 92118Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Coronado
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 6194374911
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday, 10:30am - 2:00pm. Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 4:00pm; Saturday - Sunday, 10:30pm - 4:00pm. Dinner: Monday -Sunday - 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Marco Nocco
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Monthly Wine-Dinner; Cooking classes; Wine-Tasting please contact us for more details on date and time. (619-437-4911) Buon Divertimento
A word from Il Fornaio - Coronado
Step inside Il Fornaio and take a culinary journey through Italy. Early mornings bring rustic, crisp crusted bread hot from the oven accompanied by the scent of fresh brewed espresso. During lunch and dinner hours, pastas and flavorful sauces simmer while meats and vegetables roast over hot coals. Bottles of wine from small, regional wineries are uncorked to complement the dishes, which have been crafted in the custom of Italy's chefs, bakers and homemakers. Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; house made pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and house made soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornaio - Coronado reviews from OpenTable diners
265 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (233)special occasion (158)great for outdoor dining (138)romantic (134)good for groups (88)great for lunch (74)notable wine list (72)fit for foodies (58)great for brunch (50)neighborhood gem (41)kid-friendly (39)hot spot (24)late-night find (20)vibrant bar scene (14)Show More
- Great food and awesome serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014Dinner was wonderful and our server Guido was most attentive. Well worth the money!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE THE SERVICE SUCKS AND SO DOWES THE FOOD.Special Features:
- Coronado CharmrestaurantsweluvDined on 8/24/2014Il Fornaio is a regular dining spot for us when in Coronado. The food is good, the restaurant ambience is good, and the view is outstanding! Our table was ready right when we arrived and there was no waiting to be served. We were able to take our time and make it a dining experience rather than a rushed dinner. Suggest going there at sunset and watching all the downtown San Diego buildings light up, as well as the boats cruising the harbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrjpengVIPDined on 8/23/2014To Busy , we waited for our open table reservation 30 minutes and they improvised a table, not good!Special Features:
- OverratedOverratedDined on 8/23/2014Our waitress was the best thing about our entire meal and she was very helpful, wanting us to enjoy the dining experience. Unfortunately the kitchen staff didn't get the message. I ordered the salmon/seafood sample plate. Most of it was overcooked while the fish itself was raw. It completely turned my stomach and I couldn't eat anything after that. Our waitress was horrified and she gave us free dessert - which saved us a ton of money! The view is amazing, the staff is very friendly and helpful. But the food was not good at all. Highly overrated restaurant.Special Features:
- The view is the draw here.....Babs4316VIPDined on 8/23/2014We think this Il Fornaio is one of the prettiest places to eat in SD. Service is always good here, with lots of people bustling and attending to you. Our server this time was pushing us through our meal, understandable since they were busy, but not welcomed because we wanted a leisurely pace and were looking forward to 4+ courses.... but each course came before the we were done with the one preceding it, which does not make you feel comfortable at all. Food is always a bit of a let down, it could be so much better, but we just focus on the setting which is delightful and makes us return several times a year. Looking forward to coming when it is not prime tourist season -- maybe we'll be able to relax next time.Special Features:
- Dinner EventKmorenDined on 8/23/2014I was in charge of dining arrangements for a group of 7 from out of town. I was very impressed with the amazing service, great menu selection, and expertly executed dinners. The restaurant is beautiful, well maintained, and has a beautiful scenic view that can be enjoyed throughout the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Dining on CoronadoUSNAMomDined on 8/22/2014If you want an exceptional dining experience, I highly recommend Il Fornaio. The wine, food, and service were outstanding. We visit San Diego several times during the year and will definitely go back to this restaurant. Cheers!Special Features:
- Date NightDateNightsfromIBDined on 8/22/2014This was a great place for a Date Night. My girlfriend and I got the best seat on the patio overlooking San Diego Bay and the Downtown area. The food was excellent (rich tasting), the cocktails were yummy, and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place butTJvisitorDined on 8/22/2014Expected awesome bread as it is an important piece of eating here, but it was cold, crust on the hard side. Irvine was better here. But the view is magnificent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food QualityJasonVIPDined on 8/20/2014Great restaurant but food mediocre, Stay aay fron the veal, Tough and tateless. Soup like diswater. Good service and fabulous views save this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome dinner2thebeat63Dined on 8/18/2014celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary and it was an awesome experience def will come back again!!Special Features:
- TerriblekassDined on 8/18/2014Won't be back. Tourist trap. View is the only good thing about this place.
- WGGTraveling1Dined on 8/17/2014A reliable and consistent place with good food, great views , and a pleasant atmosphere. Service is prompt and attentive. This location just seems to do things a bit better. As usual reservations are worthwhile, but dropping in is possible. Great when combined with a trip to CoronadoSpecial Features:
- Good but loudPacman1Dined on 8/16/2014We used open table to book the reservation and we were in our seats right at 7:30. The food is always good at this restaurant and the view of San Diego is great too. The only thing that I don't like is the noise. I would recommend this to anyone except if you're going to propose, she may not be able to hear you. It's a great place to eat! !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but not very personableBrotherMaynardDined on 8/16/2014The lamb chops and filet (tagliata) were awesome. The mixed green salad was had a wonderful vinaigrette (and I don't care for greens that much). However, a bit of ambiance was lacking. If you took the food away, it felt like any other high-volume restaurant -- sling the hash and turn the table.Special Features:
- Satisfaction guaranteedjmzamarrDined on 8/15/2014Una noche muy agradable, y mejor con la rica cena que preparan y acompañado de una excelenet botella de vino blanco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, not so great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The food was decent, the view and location is gorgeous! The service wasn't great, our waitor wasn't very attentive and I think it was because my friend and I didn't come off as rich or big tippers. That was my main problem with this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the vibe and viewJOHNOTPDined on 8/14/2014Can't beat the bay skylines with plenty of tables unobstructed and well spaced. Food choices just the right verieti and tastes. Servers informed and helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Cannelloni al forno was wonderful! View terrific, service great!Special Features:
- EnjoyOnlyGoodFoodDined on 8/12/2014The food has been excellent every time I have eaten at Il Fornaio, and the view is great of downtown San Diego from across the bay. No complaints...Special Features:
- very tuscaneleganceDined on 8/11/2014Great scenery, great food..service could of been better, but ok..it was our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst food in CoronadoAmirDined on 8/10/2014We ordered Cannelloni, Lasagna & Pizza with mushroom & ham. Cannelloni had so much white sauce & cheese it looked like Enchilada. Lasagna was floating in a cheese soup & white thick creme sauce. My daughter loves Lasagna, but it was so bad that plot gave her a stomach pain after few bites. Pizza was tasteless with maybe 5 small mushrooms on it.
- Casual to dressyScottyCycles62Dined on 8/10/2014I like this restaurant for many reasons one of which is the dress code. You can wear nice casual clothes or dressed to the 9's and neither will look out of place. The service is excellent. They do not rush you through your meal (not a turn-and-burn) and let you enjoy the company you are with without needlessly asking every few minutes how you are doing. The quality of the food is excellent as well and the portions are appropriate top the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!jlbarandaDined on 8/10/2014The food is really good and the view is spectacular!Special Features:
- great ambience, hit-and-miss eatsvandetta32ADined on 8/10/2014This place does not disappoint with ambience and decor. We were seated outdoors for Sunday brunch at 10:45 (get there early and you should have no trouble having your pick of seating). We were on a covered patio with bay views, and this was the best part of our visit. The food, however, was only moderate: I loved my french toast and my friend loved her eggs benedict with crab cakes, but everyone else seemed to think their food was "okay but not great." Ask your server for the most popular dishes or even the house specialities. Service friendly and very kid-oriented, especially in the mornings. We had three kids with us and they were happy, fed, and entertained the whole time. There is a separate kids menu for brunch.Special Features:
- Could have been betterJohnnyDined on 8/9/2014The food was really good. I got the pasta (homemade by the way) "Pennoni alla Vodka" and my wife got the angel hair pasta with lobster. I should have gotten wine (duh, it's an Italian place in California), but opted for the Swizzle cocktail- not a good choice. My wife was pregnant, and they had really nothing at all to offer besides bar juices. We requested outdoor dining on the patio with our reservation, but the best they could do was put us by the window. Good thing is, we were able to see the fireworks which were right outside on the water, just would have been nice to actually be outside. The service was subpar. Our waiter, an older gentleman with an Italian accent, didn't really greet us and wasn't very attentive at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Views & HospitalityEpicureanDined on 8/8/2014The panaroma of the SD Bay is exceptional and even more so at nightfall. Service was impeccable, the host even seated us earlier than our reservation and accomodated a window seat. The food is typically outstanding, so we were taken aback when the veal came out a bit tough. The waiter quickly made amends and all five members of our party enjoyed all facets of the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurant !gourmand1Dined on 8/7/2014Loved this restaurant so much that we returned again 2 nights after our first dinner there. Friendly and warm staff. Fabulous and courteous service. The view is second to none. The minestrone, cesarina salad, butternut squash ravioli, and of course, the bread, were beyond fantastic! Can't wait to try more of the dishes on the menu. Will dine there again when we are in Coronado next Summer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dinnerFsquaredDined on 8/7/2014Overall Il Forniao is a very nice restaurant. We booked on OT and requested a specific table and when we arrived it was ready for us. The food was very good but the timing of the courses was off but our waiter recovered and made for a nice night out. The view of San Diego is beautiful from Il Forniao. we will return when we are back in Coronado!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaleCDined on 8/6/2014Dined outdoors with a view of San Diego from across the bay. Special food selection from a featured region of Italy was great. Service was excellent. A bit of inconvenience when another guest arrived with a "Comfort Service dog" that got out of its cage on multiple instances.Special Features:
- Best view in town!NonFoodieDined on 8/4/2014I have dined at Il Fornaio many times and return whenever someone from out of town is here and a special night out is appropriate. The view across the harbor to downtown San Diego from Coronado is spectacular, and the service is impeccable. I generally have been happier with the entrees than I was this trip, however. The breads are the best in Southern California, though...and that is enough to bring me back again soon.Special Features:
- Food amountOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014The only complaints are the small portion sizes for the prices. And it was way too noisy. Great service!Special Features:
- myspot2dineDined on 7/31/2014My dining experience at Il Fornaio is always a pleasant one. Anytime a friend comes to town, I make sure we dine here. I also dine here for special occasions or just for a nice lunch or dinner time. Thank you, Yolanda MejiaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!BatmanRobynDined on 7/30/2014Best wine ever- my favorite place to celebrate birthdays (they give you very special treatment!!!). My sister and I went Wends for her birthday and we are still ravingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our S D favoritesFunFoodFriendsDined on 7/27/2014Beautiful view of San Diego! The patio on the water is so romantic we always find our Italian favorites. We try something new for us on the menu and each choose a favorite from visits of the past! My personal favorite is the beef carpaccio!Special Features:
- Good Restaurant!!XavierSaraDined on 7/27/2014Food was good, view was amazing. Ease and free parking. A pleasant experience and good location for date night or a special celebration.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant!jlbarandaDined on 7/26/2014The food is really good, the view is spectacular and it is great for big groups.Special Features:
- HankVIPDined on 7/24/2014We had poor service probably due to a large private function in a separate part of the restaurant. The salmon was not very flavorful. We have eaten here many times and this is the second time we have had very poor service. I cannot recommend this restaurant if the staff is overcommitted. This is the first time that the salmon was almost flavorless. The house salad was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a shining moment on this tripSkitripper1VIPDined on 7/24/2014The service was poor and slow; my brother's pizza was ice cold when served. Clearly they were understaffed and overwhelmed, but to not have updates from the wait staff, let alone apologies for the delay, I can only say that this was not a shining moment and one of my worst experiences at Il Fornaio. Too bad as that is not always the case. I am from the East Coast and for several years, always make a point to have a dinner when visiting family in Coronado. For all of the wrong reasons, this was a memorable experience. I will return, but things have to improve. There has to be a good meal when enjoying the skyline and San Diego Bay as there are other options...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.