Il Fornaio - Coronado
1333 First St.
Coronado, CA 92118Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Coronado
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 6194374911
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday, 10:30am - 2:00pm. Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 4:00pm; Saturday - Sunday, 10:30pm - 4:00pm. Dinner: Monday -Sunday - 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Marco Nocco
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Monthly Wine-Dinner; Cooking classes; Wine-Tasting please contact us for more details on date and time. (619-437-4911) Buon Divertimento
A word from Il Fornaio - Coronado
Step inside Il Fornaio and take a culinary journey through Italy. Early mornings bring rustic, crisp crusted bread hot from the oven accompanied by the scent of fresh brewed espresso. During lunch and dinner hours, pastas and flavorful sauces simmer while meats and vegetables roast over hot coals. Bottles of wine from small, regional wineries are uncorked to complement the dishes, which have been crafted in the custom of Italy's chefs, bakers and homemakers. Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; house made pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and house made soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornaio - Coronado reviews from OpenTable diners
269 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (235)special occasion (158)great for outdoor dining (144)romantic (139)good for groups (97)notable wine list (77)great for lunch (69)fit for foodies (65)neighborhood gem (49)great for brunch (42)kid-friendly (38)hot spot (27)late-night find (21)vibrant bar scene (11)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Food was OK ..nothing too delicious. Noise level was too high. It felt as if it were banquet food, waiter was helpful yet not very attentive. I would probably never come here again.Special Features:
- DisappointingSavannahFanDined on 9/19/2014We expected our dining experience to be similar to that of our last visit to Il Fornaio in Del Mar. Unfortunately, it was not. Our impression is that there was not enough wait staff. Our bar order (just two drinks) was filled promptly it seemed by the bartender. But the waiter left the drinks sitting in our view for at least 10 minutes before we had to ask about them. After being seated at our table, our waiter showed up after a longer than expected period of time. Once our order was taken, our wine arrived prior to our salads which was fine. Our food arrived in a reasonable amount of time. However, after our first couple of bites, we realized that nobody had offered any fresh Parmesan. We had to request that.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014Great restaurant with a beautiful view of san diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner ReviewJimNDined on 9/19/2014Good Italian food. My wife likes the pasta's and I like the chicken dishes. If you come for dinner, reservations are a must. I was there on a Friday night and it was a little chaotic and noisy, but that is normally expected on a Friday night. Great view of the San Diego harbor. Parking is validated by the restaurant but you have to ask them to stamp your ticket.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I had the gluten free pasta pomodoro and it was outstanding! My husband's chicken was dry, but the other two pasta dishes that our friends had were great! The staff was perfect and the view is killer! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014I booked this restaurant for the great views that it has of downtown San Diego. The host was kind enough to give us a great table with a view knowing it was for a birthday dinner celebration. The waiter and his assistants were very friendly and attentive to our needs. The food was excellent and very delicious! Overall a fantastic evening birthday dinner celebration with great views, food and friendly staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food is always deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014My husband and I have been to Il Fornaio a few times for date nights. We have yet to have a so so to bad meal. The food and service is always good. My only disappointment this time, was it took too long for the waiter to acknowledge us when we were first seated. I had to ask a busboy if he knew who our waiter was. Once the waiter arrived he was polite.Special Features:
- Gorgeous view of San Diego.BeachgirlDined on 9/14/2014The only place to go for fabulous view of San Diego skyline across the bay. Beautiful day or night. The food is delicious. The service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 Star Service from GladysloveItalianDined on 9/14/2014We love trying the different dishes and wine from Italy at Il Fornaio, food is always on point. The fresh, hot bread always wins me over along with the fabulous dessert, Rosina, a chocolate cake filled with raspberries! As for the service, it's simply amazing. Gladys is the best server out there. She takes excellent care of us, and always makes sure our wine glasses are filled and explains the menu in detail. She's friendly, lots of fun and super knowledgeable. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Saturday eveningkyneburgaDined on 9/13/2014We brought two visitors from the UK and two friends who had birthdays. We had a lovely timeSpecial Features:
- A Wonderful EveningeatoutoftenVIPDined on 9/13/2014It Fornaio on Coronado is an exceptional place to dine for either lunch or dinner, as far as I'm concerned. The setting is spectacular, the food is superb and the service is very accommodating.Special Features:
- EmmieDined on 9/13/2014I wanted to take my assoicate and her husband to dinner for their wedding anniversary. We love Coronado and thought Il Fornaio would be a good choice. It was fantastic! We were there to see the sun set and then the beautiful night sky over the city. The food was delicious, the menu varied and the service excellent. They were very busy but we never felt rushed. Their GM Luca Allieri was amazing, remembering names and offering a complimentary cocktail. Our guests were very pleased and no doubt will return to Il Fornaio as will we.Special Features:
- Wonderful service and foodSirDeeDined on 9/12/2014Four of us dined for a birthday dinner. We were all impressed with the service, the ambiance of the restaurant, and the friendliness of the staff. Two of us had pasta and found the dishes excellent. Two of our group had chicken, but unfortunately their experience was not as good. Initially they had the wrong salad delivered, but that was quickly remedied. The chicken dish did not have a pleasing presentation, and the meat had many small pieces of bone in the pieces were eaten, causing them to often pick out the bones as they were eating. I would comfortably recommend your restaurant for the pasta, but not for the chicken.Special Features:
- Great for that special occasion.TraceyDined on 9/11/2014We ate here once before and we loved it so much, we now celebrate special occasions here and love to bring new people here to dine so they can experience the wonderful view and the great food they have.Special Features:
- wonderful evening...goodtravel1Dined on 9/11/2014We enjoyed a delicious dinner of steamed mussels that the general manager (Luca) asked the chef to prepare for us (these were not on the menu). We were treated royally and appreciated the excellent service and lovely view of the bay.Special Features:
- My 37th Anniversary CelebrationRubiDined on 9/10/2014My husband and I were very delight to celebrate our 37th anniversary at Il Fornaio. Since the moment we stepped into the restaurant, we were able to feel that we were going to spend a romantic night, for they sat us in a very nice spot facing the beautiful view of San Diego. The service and the food was really good especially the bread. We were also surprised with an exquisite "Tiramisu" free of charge, which we thought was a very nice detail on behalf of the restaurant with their customers. In short, we spent a very romantic celebration at your place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2014The food was mediocre and the service was slow, a poorly paced meal with lots of waiting. We were disappointed since we had high hopes and love Italian food!Special Features:
- beautiful viewLisaDined on 9/6/2014Amazing location, beautiful view of downtown San Diego and the bay, excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant ViewslovecoronadoDined on 9/6/2014The location of the restaurant is outstanding. It has gorgeous views and is located by the water at the Ferry Landing. We were visiting from Tucson, AZ, and met our friends there who live an hour away in Canyon Lake. We had a wonderful time! The chicken dish I had was a little disappointing, but the others all loved their entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation=still long waitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Although I had a reservation, it took them almost 20 minutes to get us a table for 5 - even though other parties of equal numbers were seating right away. They were polite but kept telling me they were "working on it" when I personally sw two tables for five or six with NO reservation signs on the table. The service wa adequate but not special. The birthday tiramasu was excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful!RobinDined on 9/5/2014My husbands 50th bday was wonderful ! We had a group of 20 people and it couldn't have gone smoother. Our waiter was amazing!!! He and his team took great care if us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gladys was greatDisappointedVIPDined on 9/5/2014We returned to Il Fornaio because the food was so good. It was just as good this time. Gladys, our serve made the evening. She was prompt, accommodating, and friendly. The view is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste of ItalyJoNanaDiningDined on 9/5/2014Three of our four diners enjoyed the Taste of Abruzzo. The appetizer and pasta course was the perfect size. We were pleasantly surprised that the entree portion of the meal was full size. We couldn't finish the entree. Everyone enjoyed their selection and also splurged on dessert. The chocolate crime brûlée is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over an hour wait for foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/4/2014Tried to get noon reservation and it was not available, so settled for 11:30. Went for lunch and it was more than half empty. No idea why I couldn't get noon through open table. Ordered and then waited an hour for the food to arrive. An hour. My salmon was great. Another order did not have all the normal ingredients-- no scallops and something else she said. Frustrating dining experience. Very disappointing.
- Good dinner with amazing viewsyberspriteDined on 9/3/2014The best part about this restaurant is the amazing view of downtown San Diego and the Coronado Bay. The food was also delicious and our server was nice as well. We would likely try this restaurant again if we wanted Italian, mainly because you cannot beat the view!Special Features:
- Great night with my girl!MorperDined on 9/1/2014Excelente client care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Nice atmosphereBrick1Dined on 8/31/2014Carlos waited our table and was very friendly and made it a very nice dining experience. Great window seat overlooking the harbor. Nice flight of wines and excellent food.Special Features:
- Best Italian Food...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014The best Lasagna I have ever had...all dishes include homemade pasta. Guido was a fantastic server. He said he's worked for the company for 22 years at different locations and had nothing but great things to say about the company. Its great to hear when company's take good care of their employees. Way to go Il Fornaio. We don't live in San Diego but we will definitely to back to this restaurant when we visit. Great job. Thanks for a memorable evening.Special Features:
- ServiceReviewVIPDined on 8/30/2014The ambience was good, food was good but the our waiter was a bit intrusive. Did not appreciate it. Before we finished our meals he kept asking everyone if we were done so we he could remove the plates. We did not get breathing space to enjoy our meal. This waiter needs to be trained to be of service when needed and not rush guests. This is not a diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CostaMesafansDined on 8/30/2014Il Fornaio in Coronado is always a treat. The atmosphere inside is beautiful and the view of San Diego and the harbor is spectacular. The food is always delicious and the service great. You feel like it is a special occasion even if it isn't.Special Features:
- OSFoodieDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I recently moved to the San Diego area and decided to spend a day playing tourist in Coronado. After a day of exploring we ended it with a terrific evening at Il Fornaio! What a beautiful evening, our table was nestled near a large window with a spectacular view of San Diego at sunset. We both ordered fish off the Specials menu and we were not disappointed. The fish was fresh and tender and the italian spices enhanced the meal very nicely. And our waiter was fantastic, he knew the wine list well and gave us good recommendations to pair with our meals. Oh and leave room for dessert. We shared the sampler plate, which gave us a taste of 4 of their best desserts -- YUM!! We had a terrific evening. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reservation not theremia23Dined on 8/30/2014when my party of four arrived our reservation wasn't listed, but we did get a good seat. the waiter accidentally got balsamic over my blouse when pouring it on a plate. he did get soda water which removed the stain. the food was good, the view greatSpecial Features:
- Mangiare!JClocalDined on 8/29/2014Had dinner on the patio with my fiancée. View, food, service was perfect! Get there at sunset!Special Features:
- Great food and awesome serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014Dinner was wonderful and our server Guido was most attentive. Well worth the money!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SERVICESANEIGO123Dined on 8/25/2014THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE THE SERVICE SUCKS AND SO DOWES THE FOOD.Special Features:
- Coronado CharmrestaurantsweluvDined on 8/24/2014Il Fornaio is a regular dining spot for us when in Coronado. The food is good, the restaurant ambience is good, and the view is outstanding! Our table was ready right when we arrived and there was no waiting to be served. We were able to take our time and make it a dining experience rather than a rushed dinner. Suggest going there at sunset and watching all the downtown San Diego buildings light up, as well as the boats cruising the harbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrjpengVIPDined on 8/23/2014To Busy , we waited for our open table reservation 30 minutes and they improvised a table, not good!Special Features:
- OverratedOverratedDined on 8/23/2014Our waitress was the best thing about our entire meal and she was very helpful, wanting us to enjoy the dining experience. Unfortunately the kitchen staff didn't get the message. I ordered the salmon/seafood sample plate. Most of it was overcooked while the fish itself was raw. It completely turned my stomach and I couldn't eat anything after that. Our waitress was horrified and she gave us free dessert - which saved us a ton of money! The view is amazing, the staff is very friendly and helpful. But the food was not good at all. Highly overrated restaurant.Special Features:
- The view is the draw here.....Babs4316VIPDined on 8/23/2014We think this Il Fornaio is one of the prettiest places to eat in SD. Service is always good here, with lots of people bustling and attending to you. Our server this time was pushing us through our meal, understandable since they were busy, but not welcomed because we wanted a leisurely pace and were looking forward to 4+ courses.... but each course came before the we were done with the one preceding it, which does not make you feel comfortable at all. Food is always a bit of a let down, it could be so much better, but we just focus on the setting which is delightful and makes us return several times a year. Looking forward to coming when it is not prime tourist season -- maybe we'll be able to relax next time.Special Features:
- Dinner EventKmorenDined on 8/23/2014I was in charge of dining arrangements for a group of 7 from out of town. I was very impressed with the amazing service, great menu selection, and expertly executed dinners. The restaurant is beautiful, well maintained, and has a beautiful scenic view that can be enjoyed throughout the restaurant.Special Features: