Il Fornaio - Coronado
1333 First St.
Coronado, CA 92118Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Coronado
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 6194374911
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday, 10:30am - 2:00pm. Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 4:00pm; Saturday - Sunday, 10:30pm - 4:00pm. Dinner: Monday -Sunday - 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Marco Nocco
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Monthly Wine-Dinner; Cooking classes; Wine-Tasting please contact us for more details on date and time. (619-437-4911) Buon Divertimento
A word from Il Fornaio - Coronado
Step inside Il Fornaio and take a culinary journey through Italy. Early mornings bring rustic, crisp crusted bread hot from the oven accompanied by the scent of fresh brewed espresso. During lunch and dinner hours, pastas and flavorful sauces simmer while meats and vegetables roast over hot coals. Bottles of wine from small, regional wineries are uncorked to complement the dishes, which have been crafted in the custom of Italy's chefs, bakers and homemakers. Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; house made pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and house made soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornaio - Coronado reviews from OpenTable diners
244 reviews since April 2 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (213)special occasion (151)romantic (127)great for outdoor dining (117)good for groups (86)notable wine list (69)great for lunch (64)fit for foodies (58)great for brunch (51)neighborhood gem (38)kid-friendly (37)hot spot (22)late-night find (16)vibrant bar scene (15)Show More
- One of our S D favoritesFunFoodFriendsDined on 7/27/2014Beautiful view of San Diego! The patio on the water is so romantic we always find our Italian favorites. We try something new for us on the menu and each choose a favorite from visits of the past! My personal favorite is the beef carpaccio!Special Features:
- Great Restaurant!jlbarandaDined on 7/26/2014The food is really good, the view is spectacular and it is great for big groups.Special Features:
- HankVIPDined on 7/24/2014We had poor service probably due to a large private function in a separate part of the restaurant. The salmon was not very flavorful. We have eaten here many times and this is the second time we have had very poor service. I cannot recommend this restaurant if the staff is overcommitted. This is the first time that the salmon was almost flavorless. The house salad was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a shining moment on this tripSkitripper1VIPDined on 7/24/2014The service was poor and slow; my brother's pizza was ice cold when served. Clearly they were understaffed and overwhelmed, but to not have updates from the wait staff, let alone apologies for the delay, I can only say that this was not a shining moment and one of my worst experiences at Il Fornaio. Too bad as that is not always the case. I am from the East Coast and for several years, always make a point to have a dinner when visiting family in Coronado. For all of the wrong reasons, this was a memorable experience. I will return, but things have to improve. There has to be a good meal when enjoying the skyline and San Diego Bay as there are other options...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have gone to Olive Garden!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Waiter was not very enthused to be serving the night we went. My wife ordered the conchiglie al pollo, which was fairly tasteful - chicken could have been cooked a little longer, but I am sure most of us have different doneness likings. I ordered (I cannot remember the specific name) what was basically spaghetti with meat (lamb) sauce. Round two of the order came out much more appealing than the first. The thick hair sticking out of a piece of lamb meat just did not work - by the way, no apology was given but we moved on! After water and wine had both been tapped for about five minutes after asking for refills, my wife and I had decided that this was not a place that we will recommend, nor return to.Special Features:
- Amazing PastaLeanneVIPDined on 7/21/2014Great restaurant. Be sure to ask which pastas are made in-house -- not all are. The spinach ravioli was superb. The pizza was good, but of course it's more authenticl Italian so not what we Americans rave about when it comes to pizza. There just is nothing comparable to the view of the San Diego skyline from Coronado. Il Fornaio is smack dab in the best spot to take it in while dining.Special Features:
- Hits and some MissesSDAlanDined on 7/19/2014On the positive side, both my wife's meal of curry sauced chicken and my meal of the seafood mixed grill were quite good. Also, due to our OpenTable reservation, we were seated promptly at the requested time. On the other side of the ledger, the portion of the main dining room in which we were seated was quite noisy, making conversation difficult. The real issue was the wait time between our food courses. It took nearly 20 minutes to be served our appetizer course, from the time we ordered it, and then another 30 minutes after that to receive our main course. Just be prepared for a "leisurely" meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simply the bestmangiaDined on 7/19/2014our anniversary party dinner was simply the best! from the hostess to the bussers to the wait staff - all are professional, attentive without being instrusive & courteous. the food was excellent, as always. the children's dinners were prepared & presented with the same attention to detail as the offerings from the main menu. Thank you Il Fornaio for another great dining experience!Special Features:
- Love itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014A bit pricey but worth it especially for a specail occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ginnys Bday dinnerGinnysDined on 7/18/20146 for dinner and it was very nice.. Only part that was sort of negative was the DEEP booths for six. too deep and cramped for a nice dining place like this. Will make sure to get a table next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great. View but....MimiDined on 7/18/2014The view is outstanding but unfortunately the food does not live up to the view. My mixed seafood plate was quite nice, however my husband's veal was tough and tasteless. We have eaten here several times and at least one dish during each dinner is a disappointment. I hope they will work to improve this flaw.Special Features:
- Always enjoy El FornaioAggieProfVIPDined on 7/18/2014We were four for dinner - 3 adults and a 6 year old boy. The waiters were very attentive and the service was great. We had a table by the window too - very nice. The food was as usual wonderful and we even took home some of the delicious rolls. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Our FAV in CoronadoEricDined on 7/17/2014We LOVE Il Fornaio and always take visiting guests there at least once. Great food at extremely reasonable prices... it's hard to imagine they're a chain, at all!!Special Features:
- Not bad - not goodHerb3VIPDined on 7/16/2014First the service was outstanding. Our server was very concerned about our satisfaction and reacted to our comments quickly and with grace. Second the view is the best od San Diego. Wonderful. Thirdly, however, the food was very disappointing. At first both meals arrived cold. Not a good start. After heating in the oven one was ok but the other very disappointing. I would recommend for the view but not too sure about the food.Special Features:
- Ottimo! (come sempre)CarolaVIPDined on 7/13/2014Nostra cena del Veneto era molto buona. Complimenti!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great views, poor serviceRamonaFoodieDined on 7/12/2014We went on a Saturday night to celebrate an engagement, 8 people in our party. The service was poor, they did not keep drinks filled nor did they check on the table after serving. The food was decent but nothing to write home about. It was SUPER noisy, and they were not set up for parties of 8 with any kind of comfort (at least in the main section where they sat us) , they threw a table on the end of a booth that sat four people and halfway through our meal sat another party of eight right next to us so that the chairs of the table part of each section backed directly up to each other, made it close to impossible for anyone to get out of the booth without the whole section needing to get up and out.Special Features:
- LVMummyVIPDined on 7/12/2014Always great & efficient staff. View across the bay is stunning & full moon rising a special treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JOBostonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Always look forward to dining at IL Coronado- this time a more challenging table in front of the kitchen and entrance. People moving all around, dishes clattering, quiet conversation not possible. Food, service, attention to our needs top notch and warming as always- location this time not so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular view horrible foodJv03220Dined on 7/12/2014The ambiance and view are amazing. However, as an Italian I was quite embarrassed for this resturant. The food was down right awful and the service was even worse then the food.Special Features:
- Stunning San Diego BaySDVIEWSDined on 7/12/2014The food and service at this local icon cannot be beat! Enjoy the stunning view of San Diego skyline and the bay while enjoying a fabulous meal.Special Features:
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Great food. Great service.. Great ambiance. Great view. GREAT, GREAT, GREAT, GREATSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gus1216Dined on 7/11/2014Great setting, excellent service and very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Resturant50thDined on 7/10/2014Fantastic resturant for a romantic dinner, outside on the patio! Such a wonderful view of the bay front! Love it and will return again on my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic View & Foodpaul3ntDined on 7/10/2014The night-time view from our table of the downtown San Diego skyline is breath-taking ! The view is across the bay towards downtown and it resembles a travel brochure. The special fish dishes from the special Venice menu were terrific. The petrele sole main course was delicate, served in a light cream sauce and excellent. It is served with risotto, typical of Venice and surprisingly quite filling. Portions are good and are not the midget sized that so many top restaurants are serving these days. The service was prompt but not pushy. They have a good italian wine list featuring Barolos and Barbescas which usually are only available in Europe. All-in-all this is a top restaurant in all aspects.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Food was tasty, but service was very slow and haphazard.Special Features:
- Top Rating for Il FornaiofoodmanDined on 7/6/2014Excellent restaurant serving fine food and stellar service. The view of the Bay is great and we were not rushed in the least, resulting in a very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but probably would not return.DinersrusDined on 7/5/2014Menu was limited and appeared different from menu shown online -- disappointing. Wait staff was attentive but rushed us through our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!CocoDined on 7/5/2014The location is perfect! The food was great. We enjoyed our table overlooking the bay. The fireworks that were across the bay (completely unexpected) made the night perfect!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedptweDined on 7/5/2014My family went here for my husband's birthday expecting a really nice experience. We sat down for dinner around 4pm on a Saturday. The restaurant was not busy. We had a waiter approach us that stated, "Are you ready?" There was no introduction, no hello, and no welcome to the restaurant. By this time we were turned off. We felt like we were an inconvenience to the waiter. There needs to be additional training to the wait staff. The food was ok, not what I expected for the price of the entrees.Special Features:
- WonderfulWallasDined on 7/5/2014I tried also "Il Fornaio" in San Francisco and Los Angeles, but this remains the best, also for the location,Special Features:
- Excellent servicefphallDined on 7/3/2014The serrrvice is always excellent and genuine considering it is such a large, busy restaurant.Special Features:
- Perfect!PWdinerVIPDined on 7/3/2014Our dinner was delicious from the calimari starter, through salads and pastas to the desserts! Our waiter Johnny was outstanding, assisting our menu selections and great with the children. Thank you for a memorable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il FornaioTCDiningDined on 7/1/2014Great place to see the views of San Diego and the harbor. We had a fantastic view of the US Navy Ship the Midway as well. It was at night and the lights were great. Food is good and great wine selections..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect placeTaylorsDined on 7/1/2014Our friends recommend this restaurant to us when visiting Coronado. So glad they did. We arrived early for our reservation and they took us right in. Since it was during the week and an early dinner we had our choice of outside tables. The best view in the house. If making a reservation any time of year you must sit outside. They have a fire place and heaters. It's a beautiful restaurant and pleasant romantic atmosphere on the water. Definitely will be back and will tell friends.Special Features:
- Moving RespiteExpandingPalateDined on 6/26/2014We drove 1300 miles from texas to San Diego and were very tired, looking forward to an easy on the eyes dinner. Delicious Bellinni Prosecco was a great start, and superlative lamb chops and scallopini.....dare I mention the dessert? We will come back and back and back, if our budget permits.Special Features:
- 2 year anniversarysdfoodluvDined on 6/24/2014Me and my boyfriend had dinner at Il Fornaio Coronado for our 2 year anniversary. Great restaurant....if you are sitting outside or near a window. We were seated at a booth a row away from the windows and I could still see..kind of, but it was awkward having to almost stare at the people who were sitting in the window seats to look outside. My boyfriend is Italian so maybe he and I are a bit biased but to us it was just eh italian food. It took forever for a waiter to come and take our dinner order. He (the waiter) did take the initiative to apologize for that before we left.Special Features:
- Love Il FornaioAZFoodieDined on 6/24/2014This restaurant is excellent. The ambiance is nice. The views are amazing. The staff is very friendly and the food is delicious. I recommend the lasagna or the spaghetti bolognese. The spaghetti is not on the menu but if you order it they will make it. It's all about the sauce!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wedding anniversaryLove21Dined on 6/21/2014my husband was amaze of the place and romantic set up with the staff which I request to have the gift on the table upon arrival. We were seated at the request area. thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous RestaurantCarlnBabaraDined on 6/21/2014This is our 3rd time at Il Fornaio. we stumbled upon the restaurant 2 years ago when we decided to visit Coronado Island while staying at the Hyatt across the bay for our 26th anniversary. We loved the food, environment, service we decided to bring our family (extended as well) when our daughter graduated from USD. We will recommend this restaurant to all our friends. Its a short hour drive from Murrieta and it was a great place to spend our 28th Anniversary for dinner as well. Thank you, Carl and Barbara MurilloSpecial Features:
- Great Venue for VisitorsRoadwarriorDined on 6/21/2014The views are dramatic and lovely. The menu offers many many great choices - everything from pizza and salad to wonderful entrees. Something for everyone and a great way to impress visitors to San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.