Il Fornaio - Carmel
Ocean Avenue & Monte Verde St
Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA 93921Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Carmel
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 8316225100
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 10:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Alessio Giannuzzi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering services through our take-out retail area are available and include: • Boxed Lunch – sandwich, salad, Italian cookie and drink packaged individually. • Platters – pastries, sandwiches, salads or cookies. Perfect for any social or business meeting held at your location. Larger off-site full service catering is also available by request. Please contact our on-site Event Coordinator for more details.
A word from Il Fornaio - Carmel
Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. Located in downtown Carmel, Il Fornaio offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience and a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007 wine list. Enjoy wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; house made and imported pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and house made soups; antipasti and a wide variety of desserts made daily from scratch. Reservation Confirmation Message: Thank you for choosing Il Fornaio - Carmel. Should your plans change, please let us know. We look forward to serving you Grazie e CiaoContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornaio - Carmel reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)special occasion (39)romantic (32)good for groups (28)fit for foodies (27)great for lunch (26)kid-friendly (25)vibrant bar scene (20)notable wine list (20)great for brunch (18)great for outdoor dining (14)scenic view (13)late-night find (8)hot spot (6)Show More
- Excellent SpotJDranVIPDined on 8/31/2014Food was really good. Service was exceptional. Our waiter suggested a dish that I would not ordinarily choose, and it was terrific. We will go back and we will recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014We've eaten at this restaurant several times and had much better experiences. The waiter seemed unexperienced and the attention to detail was not good. I'd had to practically beg for them to refill my water glass. The entre came out very late.
- Fair at bestFoodieDined on 8/29/2014Went with my husband and son. We had the calamari as an appetizer, and the sea bass, roasted chicken, and bolognese as main courses. All were average. We have enjoyed this restaurant in the past, but wouldn't recommend it now. Service was slow, and the waiter inattentive. Definitely not worth the prices. Also, there was a very strong, sweet fragrance throughout the restaurant that was unpleasant. This may have been coming from the Pine Inn, which is adjacent. Given that many venues and companies in CA are embracing fragrance-free policies, it made the place seem dated.
- Amazing foodC6corvetteDined on 8/25/2014Very reasonable and service was spot on. I have been going to this restaurant for many years and the quality of food has not changed. They also have a great happy hour. I will continue to returnSpecial Features:
- Try the Cannelloni al Forno!MRYfoodieDined on 8/23/2014While attending an evening concert in Carmel, on the spur of the moment my husband and I decided to go out for a late night dinner. From the concert venue, using my iPhone, I made reservations through OpenTable at Il Fornaio, Carmel. When we arrived at the restaurant, our table was waiting, we were immediately seated and a beautiful basket of fresh baked rolls and bread was placed on our table. Our server was friendly, very helpful with our menu selections, and nonintrusive -- we don't enjoy having a server who "hovers" over our table, constantly interrupting our conversation! Our food was absolutely delicious. We have been to Il Fornaio many times, but this evening's experience was the best ever. Well done, Il Fornaio!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependably goodFrancoPhilDined on 8/23/2014Il Forniao is a chain, but we've never been disappointed, no matter what city. Excellent Italian, friendly service, good cocktail and wine.Special Features:
- Glad we came backFoodieForLifeDined on 8/20/2014This was our second time at this Il Fornaio site and enjoyed the experience and food once again. There's lots to choose from and our dinners were very good, while our server was excellent. Prices are good for Carmel. Nothing negative. Just good food and drink in a comfortable, casual setting.Special Features:
- Always consistent food and serviceDebbieVIPDined on 8/17/2014Il Fornaio was a last minute dinner choice after attending the Pebble Beach Concours. We knew the food would be excellent and comforting and the service dependable and it was! I ordered a small portion of butternut squash ravioli with brown butter and tomato sauce. It was perfectly balanced and the crispy sage leaves made the dish. The tomatoes in the caprese salad were lacking in taste but the mozzarella was nice. I would recommend Il Fornaio to others visiting Carmel. We have had similar experience in San Francisco.Special Features:
- Great food, bad serviceDandyandyVIPDined on 8/16/2014As always, the food was excellent. However our server, despite very friendly, was most incompetent. Every request, from water to follow up on the meal to cream for coffee, was met with an assured smile, only to never arrive or arrive by a 2nd request to a very efficient staff member.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Festa RegionaleLainaDined on 8/16/2014We have attended most of the monthly regional meals for several years with mostly great pleasure. But we attended the last two, Veneto and Sardegna, near the end of their presentation dates and in both cases, several dishes and wines were "no longer available." They are obviously under-ordering food for these Festas, and are not even offering comparable substitutes from the regular menu. We had to order them at a la carte cost. Not good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Precticable restauranttouristdinersDined on 8/15/2014No surprises. Good food and service. acceptable wine list.Special Features:
- Great foodLuv2eatDined on 8/14/2014Always great food and service eve during the concours deEleganceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect restaurant -OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014charming and good food. It is our go to place for breakfast, coffee, lunch and dinner. We love itSpecial Features:
- Great location and pasta to matchRickzVIPDined on 8/11/2014One of the best views (peak of the ocean) in Carmel by the Sea if you sit either outside on the deck or in the glass enclosed room next to the deck. The pasta (fresh or from Italy) is always excellent. They complement it with fresh vegetables, seafood, etc. And they have some very nice appetizers and wines. Conveniently open all day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisingLSeghiDined on 8/1/2014On our first visit to Carmel, We chose a quaint little Italian bistro for lunch. It wasn't busy, so the host & the wait staff were extremely attentive. The food was delicious & we left extremely satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, would go againOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014We found this restaurant for dinner and was very pleased. The waiter was excellent, the food was very good. We would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Return to wonderful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014Brought our two teenager daughters to celebrate our 17th wedding anniversary and they had a wonderful time, as did my wife and me. Would return again in a minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Lunch in a great settingRecessionistaVIPDined on 7/27/2014Il Forniao is a chain, but it consistently delivers good fresh food. And it you love bread, well this is the place.Special Features:
- great lunchSSPaVIPDined on 7/27/20146 of us. could order from lunch or brunch menu. Everyone happy with what they ordered & service was greatSpecial Features:
- Great downtown locationMichaelC2014VIPDined on 7/26/2014We attended the Carmel Bach Festival and needed a great, centrally located restaurant and Il Fornaio was perfect. The food was exceptional and the ambiance was energetic, yet not too noisy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/25/2014As OT regulars we rarely complain about anything. One good thing: matre'd was very nice. After that, it was the worst experience we have had at Carmel Il Fornaio. Been there many times. I ordered a special ravioli dish w/pear, and the kitchen waited 20 minutes from placing the order to have the waiter tell me they were out of it. Not excusable. When he handed in the chit to kitchen they should have known immediately it was sold out, not 20 minutes later. That and the dish I ordered ---awfully bad for an Il Fornaio experience (see private note). We are locals to this particular restaurant now, after having experienced the Walnut Creek location since it was opened (and others throughout the US). We will not re-visit here in Carmel.
- consistent and deliciousemilyjbcDined on 7/25/2014Great place and great experience every time. Love that they have some healthier options for kids (side of veggies, minestrone soup) and realistic portions. Clean, simple and pretty inside. Love the salads... I know I will always be pleased when I go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all about cannelloniOutatownerDined on 7/24/2014For me, the quality of the cannelloni is the benchmark to measure Italian food. The cannelloni at Il Fornaio had an excellent flavor with a wonderful sauce combination. The pasta should be more like a crepe, however, rather than the same tube that is used for manicotti. This was my only minor criticism of an otherwise flawless meal. Service was great; menu and wine choices were well above average. Highly recommended for Carmel visitors, who obviously have multiple choices for dining!Special Features:
- Festa RegionaleLainaDined on 7/19/2014We attend these monthly with great anticipation. However, this time we had the most recent feast near the end of its run and the kitchen was out of many things. Even the wine flights were no longer available. The restaurant tried to fill in from their regular fare, which we appreciated. But we will try not to come at the end of a regional dinner run.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot that let us down a bitInsearchofDined on 7/19/2014We love the atmosphere here. The food just wasn't where it needed to be to make the evening as enjoyable as it has been in the past.
- Very reliableJim120253Dined on 7/19/20144th visit, look forward to returning. Fresh ingredients, nice plating, spectacular scenery.Special Features:
- Great pastaRickzVIPDined on 7/11/2014The pasta are all great, whether you choose one of that is fresh made or imported from Italy. Only minor issue is that if you sit near the open kitchen and the pizza oven, it can get a little warm. Also, the bar can make it a little loud. Ask for a table by the windows and it will be cooler and quieter and you get a better view. The salmon on flat bread is a great way to start the meal. The desserts are very tasty but the plating could be improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always pleased.ChowHoundVIPDined on 7/9/2014We always have great service there, thanks to Carlito. He's a great waiter and always makes sure you are well taken care of. The food is good, the regional menus are fun and different.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carmel by the seaAswNsonDined on 7/6/2014We enjoyed our dining experience the food was good the homemade pasta was really good. Their house wine was surprisingly very good. The service could of been better for the restaurant. Don't know if he was new because they other waitstaff was noticeably better. Overall good food but not the best Italian food I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall very good restaurantMikeinMontereyDined on 7/5/2014I would have given 5 stars were it not for the fact we make a special request to be somewhere relatively private (as private as an Italian restaurant can be) since it was date night for my wife and I. I was disappointed when the hostess casually placed us in the table right next to the main entrance and hostess stand where there were no less than 10-12 people, kids etc. standing where they could while they waited for their table. It was distracting and anything but romantic. I suggest calling if you have a special request. Once seated, we enjoyed the food and the wait staff was very friendly. We even received a visit from the manager asking about our meal. Only one small hiccup in service. I would still highly recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food-but noisyMacbestVIPDined on 7/4/2014This spis the second time we have been here and the food continues to excel. Wine list is limited but good. Special heirloom salad was imaginative (even though they forgot the olives which they later confessed to). Although my wife's pasta dish was lukewarm when received it was quickly picked up and remade-hot. The veal scallopine with artichokes and lemon was exceptionally well prepared and very memorable. The noise level can be deafening but we got the little side room that was a bit more muted. Will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnerToddDined on 7/2/2014Good food, good service, good location. My daughter said it was her best meal on vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvgoodfoodDined on 6/24/2014Great dinner here as usual. It is one of our favorites when we go to Carmel. We always have great food that is very tasty and the bread is wonderful. Service is always attentive.Special Features:
- AmazingFoureyesVIPDined on 6/21/2014Outside of NYC and Healdsburg, Ca., one of the finest dining experiences we have ever had. Attention to detail was outstanding and the freshness of the food was marvelous. Can't wait to return. Thank you !!Special Features:
- Good - as alwaysLuvegoodfoodDined on 6/21/2014As this restaurant is located within an old hotel, a lot of the guests were in the dining room. We had the salmon frittata and it was good, though a bit dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Ambience and DécorrufflesDined on 6/15/2014Your Sicilian menu looked inviting this past Sunday but we were disappointed to find out that at 7:00 pm (normal dinner hour) you were already out of several items which came as a surprise on Father's Day. When my brother is in town, he enjoys drinks from your bar which has an awesome ambience. However, your bartenders do not know how to make good cocktail drinks. We have ordered both lemon drop martinis and whiskey sours but they are better at other restaurants in Carmel. So I just wish your drinks would match your very cozy and elegant décor with French windows. We also love your tagliatelle but wish the portion is a little bit bigger (even your large portion is small but your small portion went from small to minuscule).Special Features:
- Great foodPastaloverDined on 6/14/2014I have eaten here before and my experience has been always great service is good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicely SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/14/2014We have dine at other Il Fornaio's and have enjoyed them. We thought this would be a good bet in Carmel, but we were actually more pleasantly surprised. I had the beef tenderloin and it was so tender and tasty. It is not often I have beef this tender, I would definitely recommend it. My daughter had the giant shrimp and they were GIANT, almost like lobsters. The pastas were also very good. Overall a very nice dining experience and it was reasonable considering the food quality. Service was also very attentive. I recommend this Il Fornaio.
- Made my niteSteveDined on 6/9/2014Staff was on their game Monday night. It made my evening very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip this Ilfernao in carmelSabiDined on 6/8/2014I've been customer of Ilfernaio for years. However this particular location has the worst food I've ever had. We had a large party and everyone was extreme dissatisfied with their meal. Bransini fish in particular was slacking in heavy sauce and was just not good. I've had this fish prepared many times before and it was fantastic at other places. Anyway skip this one. There are better choices in town.Special Features: