Il Fornaio - Burlingame
327 Lorton Ave.
Burlingame, CA 94010Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Burlingame
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 6503758000x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday 10:00 - 11:00am & Sunday: 9:00 - 11:00am; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00 - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00 - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Maurizio Mazzon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is available upon special request. Please contact our Event Coordinator for more details: email@example.com.
- Special Events: We welcome the opportunity to plan your next private dining occasion.
Please contact our Event Coordinator at 650.375.8000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A word from Il Fornaio - Burlingame
Il Fornaio is renowned for its authentic award winning Italian cuisine. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Annual winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornaio - Burlingame reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (87)good for groups (81)great for lunch (76)special occasion (69)fit for foodies (56)great for brunch (51)kid-friendly (44)vibrant bar scene (32)romantic (24)great for outdoor dining (18)notable wine list (17)hot spot (16)late-night find (5)scenic view (5)Show More
- Convenient Location; Prosaic FoodSFDinerDined on 10/20/2014The restaurant is in a convenient location and the wait staff are professional and attentive. However, the food is prosaic at best. We had a bland polenta (allegedly with Gorgonzola, but it didn't taste of it), pasta with a few slices of mushrooms drowned in butter and cream, and a "grilled" fish and shellfish that included farmed prawns, scraps of salmon, and rubbery calamari (a short distance from Monterey Bay) again covered in a butter lemon sauce which had coagulated because the whole dish was served lukewarm.
- DisappointmentdisappointmentDined on 10/17/2014This is not the place to celebrate an anniversary. It is extremely loud and dinner conversation is difficult. Front desk could not find our reservation and it took some time for them to find it. Food was not good. Bread end crusts were extremely hard, appetizer was bland, and canneloni had a sauce that looked like slop. Obviously, not thickened and no taste. Very disappointed.
- Short ribs was a disappointmentLuv2dineDined on 10/16/2014This is my second visit, our group tried a few dishes. All was good except the short ribs. Supposed to be braised, but they were very tough and chewy. Can not believe an Italian restaurant would mess up such a classic dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealTyler762Dined on 10/15/2014Wonderful food in a lovely atmosphere. Will be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly lunchluvvansVIPDined on 10/14/2014Enjoyed good coffee and a nice pizza. Also, had the special Swai fish lunch which was very good & lots of food, but pricey at $23.99. we should have asked the price or the waiter should have told us! lLess food at a cheaper price would have been better on the special. The waiter,Sehmehme, was so professional & nice & neat.Special Features:
- KismetVIPDined on 10/10/2014Always good and they always try hard to please !This time the salmon was especially tasty and made to order medium rare. I love the monthly special areas that are highlighted.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014Would give it a 4 star except I didn't like being seated in the middle of the foot traffic.The service was pretty good for such a crowded and full night! Plus our server was very sweet. Always smiling. I brought in a cake for my daughter's birthday and she cut and served it us with no problems. Food was average though, nothing award-winning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il Fornaio is consistently great.sp4MendyDined on 10/2/2014I go to Il Fornaio often for lunch and occasionally for dinner. I like the ambiance of the Burlingame restaurant better than either Palo Alto or San Francisco. The food is consistently excellent, and the service people are always timely and efficient.Special Features:
- We Returned After Months AwayOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/26/2014We had not been to Il Fornaio in almost a year other than with a larger group...as a couple we were pleasantly surprised my an excellent meal with food well prepared and a server who seemed intent "on getting things right" rather than on "turning over" the table ...possibly they are trying to notch up the overall experience but we were pleased and will go back again ...and not wait six months or longerSpecial Features:
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Great food, over the top wine list, and a great bar area for those who like to drink and socialize.Special Features:
- casual white table cloth serviceCanlastDined on 9/25/20142nd time dining here and it was just as "good" as the first. It was Full of energy and busy so I was understanding when my table wasn't greeted right away. A lady greeted us and said she will be right with us, shortly after a gentlemen said our server was busy and would be taking care of us tonight. He asked "would you guys like a drink" poor choice of words considering I had a lady with me. Brought our champagne and drinks out with out a tray . Those were just little things I look for in service especially when servers are well dressed and the tables are setup nicely. Food was ok I believe I had a duck ravioli. Not really familiar how ravioli is to be prepared but the texture of the ravioli seemed undercooked way to al dente.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun2eatVIPDined on 9/25/2014Enjoy dining at Il Fornaio whether for lunch or dinner. Salads are wonderful and a great selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulGingerVIPDined on 9/23/2014Superior service and food! We always go o0ut of our way to dine at this Il Fornaio when we are in San Francisco!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/10/2014Three of the four entrees were overcooked and took over 25 minutes to deliver to the table. Waitstaff was slow to respond or explain. Noise level was headache inducing.
- Reliable StandardSFFoodLoverVIPDined on 9/8/2014The atmosphere here is nice. The food is pretty good. My dining companion had the risotto which she said was delicious. My two salads (caprese and pear/prosciutto) were decidedly boring and didn't have much flavor. I ended up eating about half of each. Service was attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love coming here!Yum2meVIPDined on 9/7/2014It's always a great place to eat in downtown BurlingameSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptionally mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014This place used to be a go-to restaurant, somewhat reliable food-wise. Now it has become pretty awful. Dry chicken; tasteless pasta; oily ceasar salad. And so loud we could not even hear each other screaming. Do not recommend.
- KismetVIPDined on 9/5/2014Maybe 2.5 stars but food seems to be declining as of late. Sloppy presentations and taste.... The special Dolci dessert billed as panna cotta was especially bad. No resemblance with a light and fluffy panna cotta.
- ElizabethDined on 9/5/2014Restaurant has an inviting decor with open space and lots of windows. Service was excellent as usual. We split a salad and the entre and had the house chianti . Food and wine delicious. The place does tend to get noisy as it fills, especially on a Friday night but this only adds to the festive feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently mediocreOllieDined on 9/4/2014When choosing a restaurant in Burlingame, I reserved Il Fornaio, because I knew what I was getting. For a business lunch the facilities seem reasonably upscale without being too fancy. The food is mediocre. The good thing that they do offer is consistency, and it's not that the food is bad, it's just nothing special. I will probably go to Il Fornaio again for that reason either in Palo Alto, where I live, or in one of the other locations. IF there is a choise, where you know the food will actually be more than just OK, I encourage you to go elsewhere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- a nice restaurantraystaDined on 9/3/2014I have eaten at this restaurant 3 times now and will continue to come back because of the ambiance. It is a very friendly and clean place to have lunch or dinner and the service is very good. During this last visit I tried the porchetta, which was not to my liking. My colleagues where pleased with their meals and whereas one was vegetarian and was able to find enough options, this made the dinner a success. I liked it when the Executive Chef came out and personally greeted many of the tables. I will return to I'll Fornaio the next time I'm in the Bay area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliable and consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/2/2014A go-to restaurant, near SFO, very dependable. They need to keep it fresh and run the risk of over producing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bonmangareDined on 8/31/2014I have always been a fan of the restaurant...This Sunday meal was memorable...I understand they have a new chef, Bruno.....of lately it had been hit or miss...Bravo Bruno!!!
- Not as good as I expectedMarkFDined on 8/30/2014The food was just okay for the price. The antipasto was very over priced for a couple of slices of prosciutto, some olives and grilled Zucchini and eggplant. The roasted chicken was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/30/2014Always a thrill to dine here. The menu was very creative...lots of new things and the old standards too. Wonderful hand made rivolis!!!Thank you Il Fornaio for consistently delivering a enjoyable dinner.Special Features:
- RecommendedFoodloverDined on 8/30/2014Delicious grilled seafood salad. Yummy fresh baked bread. Bright and airy dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014Service was a bit spotty. Could have been more attentiveSpecial Features:
- good mealbirthdaybunchDined on 8/28/2014Overall, we had a very nice meal. Even thought the restaurant was full, the service was excellent. The waiter was knowledgeable, helpful and friendly, and the food arrived quickly. We had three different pasta dishes for dinner and all were really tasty. The salads, especially those with the gorgonzola dressing, were bland and flavorless - they might want to rethink that dressing. Aside from the salad, we had a great experience and look forward to going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at ll FornaioLuvgoodfoodVIPDined on 8/27/2014Food is consistently mediocre. They have a great location and nice ambiance, but the food should be much better. My pasta was luke warm and just fair, at best.Special Features:
- Food was great/service horribleAleixVIPDined on 8/27/2014The waiter was extremely rude, but after my friend talked to the manager about it, we got a different waiter, Francisco, and he was excellent. We were also comp with an appetizer. I've been going to Il Fornaio for years and had never experienced the rudeness that we did from our waiter. He definitely should not be working there or completely change the way he deals with customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient location, good food,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Wish we had chosen outdoor seating. The noise level inhibited conversation. We were celebrating a birthday, and the restaurant offered us dessert, a pleasant surprise.Special Features:
- disappointedDined on 8/26/2014acoustics terrible- could scarcely carry on conversation with table mates. Hot foods arrived cold. "caesar" dressing was unremarkable. service very slow- shortage of wait persons? portions very small for the prices. can't think of a reason to come back here.
- JanetteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/25/2014The minestrone soup was watery had no flavor. The ravioli sauce was nothing to write home about not even a decent review. The seafood pasta was delicious. The lamb had no flavor had to add salt to help. Not impressed and will not be going back.Special Features:
- Very good Italian menu & wine listEastBayCustomerVIPDined on 8/23/2014Excellent service and good atmosphere with very good Iralian food on menu and wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh.SFFoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014The only reason my friend and I have been meeting here since 1992 is because of the location, ambience and service. The food has always been mediocre at best; if I forget to specify that I'd like my poached eggs with a soft yolk, you can bet that they'll with yolks as hard as hard-boiled eggs, forcing me to have to send them back. The kicker is that the menu that hasn't changed in 22 years. There hasn't even been a "Brunch Specials" addendum -- exact, same menu for TWENTY TWO YEARS! After this last time, we've decided to start meeting elsewhere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/17/2014Always a good Italian meal - love the seasonal special meals from around ItalySpecial Features:
- Pretty good, but loudcvllelawDined on 8/17/2014We had a group of 4 for dinner. The 3-course sampler was definitely the way to go -- best value by far. The pork shank was a HUGE serving, though quite tasty. The petrale sole was breaded and probably baked; it might have been nice to have had some browning as one might get by pan-frying. As it was, it came a little soggy, though tasty. We also enjoyed the 3-flight wine sampler. To call the noise level "energetic" seems a bit of a euphemism. It wasn't downright distracting, but we sometimes had a little trouble hearing each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy room, quiet waitresslocalcoupleVIPDined on 8/15/2014The dining room is open and very attractive, but it was Saturday night and quite noisy. Our waitress gave a long description of the specials, but we could not actually understand anything she said. The young man that brought bread/olive oil and cleared the table was personable and interacted in a very nice way.I would recommend this to a friend.
- PAfoodieDined on 8/14/2014Il Fornaio does not miss with Italian food. There are tried and true favorites but I love the regional specialties they have with paired wines. Had a pasta with wild boar meatballs. Generous portions, both my friend who had a special ravioli and I took half our entree home. Of course had had a chopped salad first which was also very good. No room for dessert.
- Lovely mealdaytripperVIPDined on 8/11/2014My wife and I visited this restaurant at the last minute and were very impressed with every aspect of our experience. The service was friendly and excellent; the food was wonderful (I had a chicken dish and my wife had veal). The table bread was warm and crusty. And the cost was quite reasonable. If we can we certainly will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.