Il Fornaio - Burlingame
327 Lorton Ave.
Burlingame, CA 94010Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Burlingame
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: 6503758000x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday 10:00 - 11:00am & Sunday: 9:00 - 11:00am; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00 - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00 - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Maurizio Mazzon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is available upon special request. Please contact our Event Coordinator for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special Events: We welcome the opportunity to plan your next private dining occasion.
Please contact our Event Coordinator at 650.375.8000 or email@example.com.
A word from Il Fornaio - Burlingame
Il Fornaio is renowned for its authentic award winning Italian cuisine. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Annual winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Fornaio - Burlingame reviews from OpenTable diners
239 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (108)good for groups (100)great for lunch (97)special occasion (86)great for brunch (76)kid-friendly (66)fit for foodies (64)vibrant bar scene (43)romantic (31)notable wine list (27)great for outdoor dining (23)hot spot (19)late-night find (8)scenic view (4)Show More
- Not as good as I expectedMarkFDined on 8/30/2014The food was just okay for the price. The antipasto was very over priced for a couple of slices of prosciutto, some olives and grilled Zucchini and eggplant. The roasted chicken was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014Service was a bit spotty. Could have been more attentiveSpecial Features:
- good mealbirthdaybunchDined on 8/28/2014Overall, we had a very nice meal. Even thought the restaurant was full, the service was excellent. The waiter was knowledgeable, helpful and friendly, and the food arrived quickly. We had three different pasta dishes for dinner and all were really tasty. The salads, especially those with the gorgonzola dressing, were bland and flavorless - they might want to rethink that dressing. Aside from the salad, we had a great experience and look forward to going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at ll FornaioLuvgoodfoodVIPDined on 8/27/2014Food is consistently mediocre. They have a great location and nice ambiance, but the food should be much better. My pasta was luke warm and just fair, at best.Special Features:
- Food was great/service horribleAleixVIPDined on 8/27/2014The waiter was extremely rude, but after my friend talked to the manager about it, we got a different waiter, Francisco, and he was excellent. We were also comp with an appetizer. I've been going to Il Fornaio for years and had never experienced the rudeness that we did from our waiter. He definitely should not be working there or completely change the way he deals with customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient location, good food,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Wish we had chosen outdoor seating. The noise level inhibited conversation. We were celebrating a birthday, and the restaurant offered us dessert, a pleasant surprise.Special Features:
- disappointedDined on 8/26/2014acoustics terrible- could scarcely carry on conversation with table mates. Hot foods arrived cold. "caesar" dressing was unremarkable. service very slow- shortage of wait persons? portions very small for the prices. can't think of a reason to come back here.
- JanetteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/25/2014The minestrone soup was watery had no flavor. The ravioli sauce was nothing to write home about not even a decent review. The seafood pasta was delicious. The lamb had no flavor had to add salt to help. Not impressed and will not be going back.Special Features:
- Very good Italian menu & wine listEastBayCustomerVIPDined on 8/23/2014Excellent service and good atmosphere with very good Iralian food on menu and wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh.SFFoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014The only reason my friend and I have been meeting here since 1992 is because of the location, ambience and service. The food has always been mediocre at best; if I forget to specify that I'd like my poached eggs with a soft yolk, you can bet that they'll with yolks as hard as hard-boiled eggs, forcing me to have to send them back. The kicker is that the menu that hasn't changed in 22 years. There hasn't even been a "Brunch Specials" addendum -- exact, same menu for TWENTY TWO YEARS! After this last time, we've decided to start meeting elsewhere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/17/2014Always a good Italian meal - love the seasonal special meals from around ItalySpecial Features:
- Pretty good, but loudcvllelawDined on 8/17/2014We had a group of 4 for dinner. The 3-course sampler was definitely the way to go -- best value by far. The pork shank was a HUGE serving, though quite tasty. The petrale sole was breaded and probably baked; it might have been nice to have had some browning as one might get by pan-frying. As it was, it came a little soggy, though tasty. We also enjoyed the 3-flight wine sampler. To call the noise level "energetic" seems a bit of a euphemism. It wasn't downright distracting, but we sometimes had a little trouble hearing each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy room, quiet waitresslocalcoupleVIPDined on 8/15/2014The dining room is open and very attractive, but it was Saturday night and quite noisy. Our waitress gave a long description of the specials, but we could not actually understand anything she said. The young man that brought bread/olive oil and cleared the table was personable and interacted in a very nice way.I would recommend this to a friend.
- PAfoodieDined on 8/14/2014Il Fornaio does not miss with Italian food. There are tried and true favorites but I love the regional specialties they have with paired wines. Had a pasta with wild boar meatballs. Generous portions, both my friend who had a special ravioli and I took half our entree home. Of course had had a chopped salad first which was also very good. No room for dessert.
- Lovely mealdaytripperVIPDined on 8/11/2014My wife and I visited this restaurant at the last minute and were very impressed with every aspect of our experience. The service was friendly and excellent; the food was wonderful (I had a chicken dish and my wife had veal). The table bread was warm and crusty. And the cost was quite reasonable. If we can we certainly will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't expect great foodExpectGreatCustServiceDined on 8/10/2014If they could only put some heart into the food preparation, it would be GREAT!!!Special Features:
- A perfect outdoor spaceNewyorkerVIPDined on 8/9/2014Hi - on a beautiful summer evening we enjoyed dinner in the veranda seating. The pasta is fresh and perfectly cooked, the sauces were a bit heavy. But overall a very enjoyable dinner. We had the pasta with chicken and broccoli and the Tuscan chicken dinner. The servers were very busy but attentive.Special Features:
- KismetVIPDined on 8/8/2014Food and choices are slipping a bit ! We found the special appetizers lacking in newness and my main course (sole) needed more spices - it was quite bland.Special Features:
- Always Ggod Food and ServicePeterJohnDined on 8/8/2014Would recommend a later reservation after the kids are gone., if you are looking for that intimate conversation.Special Features:
- Classic, reliable, go-to spotOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/8/2014Been coming here for years and the food is always spot on. Good service, nice surroundings. It can get loud, so it's not the most romantic spot. Do stop in for happy hour -- great prices on appetizers!Special Features:
- Great ServiceGourmetGalVIPDined on 8/5/2014Our server was very professional and courteous. When there was a small problem with my entree she took care of it immediately and the very nice manager checked in to make sure I was satisfied. This was a good visit and we really enjoy the regional menu promotions.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, solid local placeEmmaMcCullochVIPDined on 8/4/2014Despite the white table cloths, they are very kid friendly and the menu is great. Very accommodating, great service. Just always a solid, local place.Special Features:
- Good, but could be improveLtDexterDined on 8/1/2014The food is good here but just a little more attention to detail could make it better. The veal in the Scaloppine Ai Carciofi E Limone was tender but the artichokes were canned and the lemon was muted so the dish didn’t have the freshness it should. The diced tomatoes on the bruschetta were not as sweet and firm as they should be (the tomatoes were either prepared too far ahead of time or not great tomatoes to begin with) and the bread should have been toasted more with olive oil. The carpacchio was an excellent if light appetizer, and the Tagliatelle Alla Bolognese was likewise well prepared. The filet of sole was fresh; I’ve generally had good luck with fish dished here.
- Great Food and Great ServiceDiningBear38Dined on 7/29/2014Our waitress was awesome. She was energetic but not intrusive. She allowed us to talk and visit with friends that we hadn't seen in years but also was there whenever we needed her. She made the evening perfect. The food was great, nice selection and met expectations in terms of quality and quantity.
- Good foodSharonDined on 7/28/2014Good food and nice option to have smaller portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From the CaribbeanNinaGDined on 7/28/2014Staying in the area to fly out next day, found this very nice restaurant and loved the small portions in the menu. The carpaccio, the ravioli alla lucano, the pasta with pesto sauce and the dolce trio dessert were all fabulous. Service was superb. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful lunchJenniVIPDined on 7/28/2014Had the rare opportunity for a leisurely lunch and Il Fornaio was the perfect spot. I love the building and relaxed, open atmosphere. The service was attentive but unrushed and the food never disappoints. I had the Piatto Smeralda (grilled seafood on a bed of spinach and arugula, perfect since I watch carbs and thoroughly enjoyed my roll dipped in olive oli and vinegar), while my friend had Conchighle al Pollo (pasta with chicken breast, broccoli, sun dried tomatoes). We both cleaned our plates, and nevertheless ordered coffee and split the Tortino al Lemon Verde (key lime custard with amaretto cookie crust), which was to die for. Overall a wonderful meal and experience.Special Features:
- Only OkTandJDined on 7/26/2014This is a nice spot. Very attractive venue but the food is only so-so. I had the Canneloni and it wasn't very good. My wife had the seafood grill which she enjoyed. The service was very good but all in all it was a disappointing dinner and I wouldn't hurry back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/26/2014Have been to the Burlingame Il Fornaio several times previously and enjoyed both food and service. This visit was disappointing.
- good food, good serviceExTexDined on 7/25/2014We were a group of eight and arrived at our reserved time. The valet service makes it convenient. Inside, our table was ready as we requested. The food was good and the service great. We had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed ReviewWouldrathereatoutDined on 7/23/2014We had a party of 10 including 3 children celebrating a couple of birthdays. The waiter was hard of hearing and very harried, they may have been understaffed as it was pretty crowded. One person order the Chicken and it was grossly undercooked. He sent it back and reordered a fish dish. Because they cook everything from scratch, it took over 20 minutes to get his new meal. The rest of us had finished dinner by that time. Kind of ruined the meal for the rest of us. The rest of the meals were good, nice place for children menu-wise and noise level wise. We'll give it another try, but getting the meal right the first time is pretty important to the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchSharzVIPDined on 7/23/2014I ordered a salad that was in the daily lunch specials of the day. Greens w/ tomatoes and prawns. I requested lite on the dressing. Should have had the dressing on the side. My salad was soaked in dressing, the lettuce was soggy and had wilted brown pieces of lettuce as well. The presentation of the salad was an embarrassment to say the least!!
- Fun2eatVIPDined on 7/23/2014food was very good, salmon salad delicious. We had excellent service, better than usual.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014The waiter was not very attentive, he forgot things, didn't seem to know what he was doing, and when my food finally came out there was a noticeable hair on my plate. The waiter's first instinct was to brush the hair off and leave the plate sitting in front of me... After an awkward silence he took it back to the kitchen and had it remade. The food tasted great, but I was underwhelmed with the service, presentation, and noisy atmosphere.
- solidNiceDined on 7/19/2014Last minute reservation on a Saturday night, we were early and got seated a few minutes after arrival. Hostess seemed a bit aloof but place was packed. The bread was good, the evoo and balsamic had zero flavor. We split a caprese salad, again almost zero flavor and the tomatoes were not caprese even though they are currently in season. The Capellini was perfectly cooked but could have used a slosh more evoo and white wine. I asked for added shrimp and got 4. The best part of the meal was dessert. The sorbet was the best, most flavorful I have ever had, so much so I got the name of it from the chef. Service was outstanding. Lots of the "old school" wait staff. The wine list was nice but did not have allot of Italian wine, oddly enough.Special Features:
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/19/2014Food and service were very good. I highly recomment it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014Good atmosphere and food but too noisy to have a meaningful conversation.
- Pleasant reminderPeterJohnDined on 7/18/2014We haven't dined at Il Fornaio for several years and had forgotten how good the food was. As a byproduct of the increase of competition in Burlingame, the restaurant isn't as packed with customers at the bar making it less noisy. There was also was a favorable ratio of waiters to customers. I'd forgotten about the speciality events menu offered from time to time and this time took advantage of the wine paring suggestions. I am not a fan of rosé wine, but found the match delightful with my soft shell crab starter.Special Features:
- Good but nothing specialEvans792Dined on 7/13/2014Our bill was quite pricey and the service was mediocre. In fact, we were sort of neglected even though it was a slow night. It's good food and nice ambiance. But then you see what you paid and you're like "huh. not sure that was worth it"Special Features:
- ImprovedMyrtleVIPDined on 7/13/2014This was the best meal we have ever eaten at Il Fornaio.Special Features: