Il Fornaio - Burlingame
327 Lorton Ave.
Burlingame, CA 94010Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Fornaio - Burlingame
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilfornaio.com/
- Phone: (650) 375-8000
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday 10:00 - 11:00am & Sunday: 9:00 - 11:00am; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00 - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00 - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Maurizio Mazzon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is available upon special request. Please contact our Event Coordinator for more details: email@example.com.
- Special Events: We welcome the opportunity to plan your next private dining occasion.
Please contact our Event Coordinator at 650.375.8000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A word from Il Fornaio - Burlingame
Il Fornaio is renowned for its authentic award winning Italian cuisine. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Annual winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Il Fornaio - Burlingame - Best Restaurants in Burlingame ›
Il Fornaio - Burlingame reviews from OpenTable diners
196 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (78)good for groups (78)great for lunch (67)special occasion (55)fit for foodies (53)kid-friendly (43)great for brunch (43)vibrant bar scene (27)romantic (22)hot spot (20)great for outdoor dining (17)notable wine list (17)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- DELISHTitiDined on 11/22/2014As always - IlFornaio delivered delicious food and great service! NOT to forget a very generous wine pour!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/22/2014Food quality is mediocre at best. Pasta dishes left under heating lamps before delivery to table. Bus-man had very nice personality but not well trained. Waiter had bad attitude and provided poor service. Suggest not wasting your time at this restaurant.
- Marketing DirectorGJBroDined on 11/15/2014Overall - good food with hospitable workers. Nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ABC100Dined on 11/10/2014Went to El Fornaio for dinner about a month ago, and the whole experience was just wonderful. From the waiter to the food and the service it was a delightful evening. I recommended it for a friend's birthday dinner on Monday evening and it was a total disappointment. My entree was obviously reheated and one other entree was not tasty at all, plus was served cold. The other two persons were satisfied with their dinners. The waiter was not not attentive, and seemed totally bored. Probably won't be dining there for awhile.Special Features:
- Mitch0922Dined on 11/7/2014Not good organized for taling reservation. We had to wait nearly 30min to seated.Special Features:
- CoyoteDined on 11/7/2014Be careful! This place has long waits (30 minutes past our reservation time) and is crazy loud on Friday nights! Otherwise, yes, it's good. Still...
- Veal No MoreOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/6/2014The veal was tough and chewy. It was thin as it should be but tasted like cheap beef. The plate was slightly warm. The artichoke sauce was fair as were the potatoes. The green beans needed a sharp knife to cut.Special Features:
- Great!OptimusDinerVIPDined on 11/5/2014Il Fornaio in Burlingame is always a great place to come to - the noise level is a little high but the food and service are always the best. We were there late one evening and they closed at 10 and we had already closed out our bill but we were having a great conversation and they allowed us to stay and chat while they cleaned up the restaurant and they did the same for another table. The didn't have to do this but this was a terrific gesture on their part and we didn't even have to ask them to do that. Amazing service!Special Features:
- CathieDined on 11/3/2014Fabulous place to celebrate Mother's 82nd birthday! Our waitress outdid herself with a lovely surprise dessert! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never AgainPaulDined on 10/31/2014The only reason I went there again was my daughter! I have never enjoyed the food but it was convenient and my daughter wanted me to meet her friends. Too many other good restaurants.
- landnchefsDined on 10/27/2014As per usual, Il Forniao is wonderful. We have dined at several of your restaurants and find that we can always count on great food and ambiance. They are highly recommended.Special Features:
- Lunch at Il Fornaiomac1Dined on 10/27/2014I've always enjoyed lunch and dinner at Il Fornaio. The service has always been great. The food is good, but not great. The main issue I have is the sound level when the restaurant is crowded. It is difficult to hear the person sitting across from you. Something should and needs to be done about that. I would definitely go more often if they could solve that problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Food OkayFoodie53Dined on 10/26/2014My family of 10 came to eat here one night, and it also happened to be when the Wold Series were playing. Even though it was quite loud, busy, and rowdy, the service was still spot-on. Our server was very attentive and was always there when we needed something. Alot of us ordered the Linguini Mare Chiaro. Some of us changed it to a white sauce which I think tasted alot better than the red that they originally serves it as. We also ordered the Dolce Trio. Our favorite was the tiramisu, so soft and light and not so heavy on the marscapone. Overall it was a nice experience. Make sure you make a reservation, because there were a lot of large groups celebrating different things.Special Features:
- Nice Brunch SpotPlace4FoodDined on 10/26/2014Love the tablecloths, service and food. Great brunch spot!Special Features:
- Would have given 5 stars but....CharlotteDined on 10/25/2014This was the second time I have been to this restaurant for lunch. Everything, especially the food, was excellent this time (would have rated food just fair last time). HOWEVER, I made a mistake by not specifying the small portion of the pasta dish when I ordered. I did receive the smaller portion I assume since there were only four ravioli on the plate. But I was charged the full portion size. When I questioned the waiter on the bill, he insisted I had the larger portion. Since someone else brought the food to the table, I guess he THOUGHT I had had the larger portion.... I should have insisted but did not want to cause a scene...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient Location; Prosaic FoodSFDinerDined on 10/20/2014The restaurant is in a convenient location and the wait staff are professional and attentive. However, the food is prosaic at best. We had a bland polenta (allegedly with Gorgonzola, but it didn't taste of it), pasta with a few slices of mushrooms drowned in butter and cream, and a "grilled" fish and shellfish that included farmed prawns, scraps of salmon, and rubbery calamari (a short distance from Monterey Bay) again covered in a butter lemon sauce which had coagulated because the whole dish was served lukewarm.
- DisappointmentdisappointmentDined on 10/17/2014This is not the place to celebrate an anniversary. It is extremely loud and dinner conversation is difficult. Front desk could not find our reservation and it took some time for them to find it. Food was not good. Bread end crusts were extremely hard, appetizer was bland, and canneloni had a sauce that looked like slop. Obviously, not thickened and no taste. Very disappointed.
- Short ribs was a disappointmentLuv2dineDined on 10/16/2014This is my second visit, our group tried a few dishes. All was good except the short ribs. Supposed to be braised, but they were very tough and chewy. Can not believe an Italian restaurant would mess up such a classic dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealTyler762Dined on 10/15/2014Wonderful food in a lovely atmosphere. Will be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly lunchluvvansVIPDined on 10/14/2014Enjoyed good coffee and a nice pizza. Also, had the special Swai fish lunch which was very good & lots of food, but pricey at $23.99. we should have asked the price or the waiter should have told us! lLess food at a cheaper price would have been better on the special. The waiter,Sehmehme, was so professional & nice & neat.Special Features:
- KismetVIPDined on 10/10/2014Always good and they always try hard to please !This time the salmon was especially tasty and made to order medium rare. I love the monthly special areas that are highlighted.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014Would give it a 4 star except I didn't like being seated in the middle of the foot traffic.The service was pretty good for such a crowded and full night! Plus our server was very sweet. Always smiling. I brought in a cake for my daughter's birthday and she cut and served it us with no problems. Food was average though, nothing award-winning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il Fornaio is consistently great.sp4MendyDined on 10/2/2014I go to Il Fornaio often for lunch and occasionally for dinner. I like the ambiance of the Burlingame restaurant better than either Palo Alto or San Francisco. The food is consistently excellent, and the service people are always timely and efficient.Special Features:
- We Returned After Months AwayOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/26/2014We had not been to Il Fornaio in almost a year other than with a larger group...as a couple we were pleasantly surprised my an excellent meal with food well prepared and a server who seemed intent "on getting things right" rather than on "turning over" the table ...possibly they are trying to notch up the overall experience but we were pleased and will go back again ...and not wait six months or longerSpecial Features:
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Great food, over the top wine list, and a great bar area for those who like to drink and socialize.Special Features:
- casual white table cloth serviceCanlastDined on 9/25/20142nd time dining here and it was just as "good" as the first. It was Full of energy and busy so I was understanding when my table wasn't greeted right away. A lady greeted us and said she will be right with us, shortly after a gentlemen said our server was busy and would be taking care of us tonight. He asked "would you guys like a drink" poor choice of words considering I had a lady with me. Brought our champagne and drinks out with out a tray . Those were just little things I look for in service especially when servers are well dressed and the tables are setup nicely. Food was ok I believe I had a duck ravioli. Not really familiar how ravioli is to be prepared but the texture of the ravioli seemed undercooked way to al dente.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun2eatVIPDined on 9/25/2014Enjoy dining at Il Fornaio whether for lunch or dinner. Salads are wonderful and a great selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulGingerVIPDined on 9/23/2014Superior service and food! We always go o0ut of our way to dine at this Il Fornaio when we are in San Francisco!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/10/2014Three of the four entrees were overcooked and took over 25 minutes to deliver to the table. Waitstaff was slow to respond or explain. Noise level was headache inducing.
- Reliable StandardSFFoodLoverVIPDined on 9/8/2014The atmosphere here is nice. The food is pretty good. My dining companion had the risotto which she said was delicious. My two salads (caprese and pear/prosciutto) were decidedly boring and didn't have much flavor. I ended up eating about half of each. Service was attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love coming here!Yum2meVIPDined on 9/7/2014It's always a great place to eat in downtown BurlingameSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptionally mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014This place used to be a go-to restaurant, somewhat reliable food-wise. Now it has become pretty awful. Dry chicken; tasteless pasta; oily ceasar salad. And so loud we could not even hear each other screaming. Do not recommend.
- KismetVIPDined on 9/5/2014Maybe 2.5 stars but food seems to be declining as of late. Sloppy presentations and taste.... The special Dolci dessert billed as panna cotta was especially bad. No resemblance with a light and fluffy panna cotta.
- ElizabethDined on 9/5/2014Restaurant has an inviting decor with open space and lots of windows. Service was excellent as usual. We split a salad and the entre and had the house chianti . Food and wine delicious. The place does tend to get noisy as it fills, especially on a Friday night but this only adds to the festive feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently mediocreOllieDined on 9/4/2014When choosing a restaurant in Burlingame, I reserved Il Fornaio, because I knew what I was getting. For a business lunch the facilities seem reasonably upscale without being too fancy. The food is mediocre. The good thing that they do offer is consistency, and it's not that the food is bad, it's just nothing special. I will probably go to Il Fornaio again for that reason either in Palo Alto, where I live, or in one of the other locations. IF there is a choise, where you know the food will actually be more than just OK, I encourage you to go elsewhere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- a nice restaurantraystaDined on 9/3/2014I have eaten at this restaurant 3 times now and will continue to come back because of the ambiance. It is a very friendly and clean place to have lunch or dinner and the service is very good. During this last visit I tried the porchetta, which was not to my liking. My colleagues where pleased with their meals and whereas one was vegetarian and was able to find enough options, this made the dinner a success. I liked it when the Executive Chef came out and personally greeted many of the tables. I will return to I'll Fornaio the next time I'm in the Bay area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliable and consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/2/2014A go-to restaurant, near SFO, very dependable. They need to keep it fresh and run the risk of over producing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bonmangareDined on 8/31/2014I have always been a fan of the restaurant...This Sunday meal was memorable...I understand they have a new chef, Bruno.....of lately it had been hit or miss...Bravo Bruno!!!
- Not as good as I expectedMarkFVIPDined on 8/30/2014The food was just okay for the price. The antipasto was very over priced for a couple of slices of prosciutto, some olives and grilled Zucchini and eggplant. The roasted chicken was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/30/2014Always a thrill to dine here. The menu was very creative...lots of new things and the old standards too. Wonderful hand made rivolis!!!Thank you Il Fornaio for consistently delivering a enjoyable dinner.Special Features: