901 A Street
San Rafael, CA 94901Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ildavide.net/
- Phone: 4154548080
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30 am - 4:00 pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday - Saturday; 4:00 pm - 10:30 pm, Sunday: 4:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: David Haydon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine Bar
- Catering: Il Davide Caters! Dinner parties, weddings and corporate luncheons, specializing in tasty regional Italian cuisine. Menus customized to fit any budget or any event!
- Private Party Facilities: A semi private room up to 35 guests with a pre-fixe menu.
- Private Party Contact: David Haydon 4154548080
A word from Il Davide
Voted "Best Italian Restaurant in Marin" by Pacific Sun readers and Marin favorite over 16 years! Chef David Haydon has created an ambitious menu selection that includes house made pastas, salads, natural meats, sustainable fish and small plates with a contemporary and classic style. We have always supported local and organic farmers and producers. Il Divide’s Wine Spectator award winning wine list and full spirit bar and lounge add to the casual elegant and warm atmosphere, making for a great meeting place with family and friends. Best parking in Marin County! See you there!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Davide reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great food, comfortable atmosphere,Diner1Dined on 3/7/2013Great food, comfortable atmosphere, friendly and attentive staff without being pretentious .Special Features:
- We have been here a numberShirazVIPDined on 3/6/2013We have been here a number of times and have always had a good meal. My wife and I came here on Wednesday evening. Our table booked through Opentable was ready. My wife and I shared the Warm Brussel Sprouts salad. It was delicious. The brussel sprouts were crisp and the dressing was very tasty. My wife then had the crab ravioli which she said was very tasty. The accompanying sause was creamy and paired well with the ravioli. I tried the Petrale sole which was covered in a light flour and a lemony sause, accompanied by sauted veggies and au gratin potatoes. Really delicious. We did not have room for dessert. This has been our neighborhood spot for a number of years and we have yet to be disappointed.Special Features:
- Consistently good! I comeLucasValley3VIPDined on 3/5/2013Consistently good! I come often. It is always lovely to be greeted upon arrival and thanked upon departure as well.Special Features:
- Sunday night crowd at Il DavidePetalumaPatronDined on 3/3/2013When we arrived promptly for our reservation, we still had to wait about 15 minutes for our table. Once seated, bread and wait staff came promptly. However of the four dinners we ordered, they were out of the food required for two of them. That was rather odd as it was a 7 pm reservation. The substitute food was adequate, everyone enjoyed their dinners and especially dessert. The room, which began rather noisily, ended up quiet enough to talk by the time we were done eating. There is free parking on Sundays in the garage right next door, which was very convenient. Overall, a good to very good experience, but not excellent.
- Too much money for too littlewillieDined on 3/2/2013kjIt was crowded and we ended up in some backwater area squeezed into a noisy area. For the price I think I would go elsewhere. The portions were small. Too many people in too small an area. Staff was good.
- Food and service is wonderful.JeanVIPDined on 3/2/2013Food and service is wonderful. It gets crowded, noisy, and a bit overwhelming for older ears and those with hearing challenges.Special Features:
- This is one of our favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/2/2013This is one of our favorite local restaurants that never disappoints us.Special Features:
- A delicious dinner with friendsCKinMarinVIPDined on 2/27/2013A delicious dinner with friends - especially loved the salads and the pappardelle special. Will be back!Special Features:
- Excellent choice for dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/22/2013This was approximately our 6th time dining here. Everything is always excellent but I do notice everytime that it seems they should have more wait staff. We always have to wait quite a while once seated to meet our server and they always are so hurried and frazzled looking. It's hard to find them after you order if you need another drink or if you would like something extra during your meal. But they are always very nice & professional. Just sayin...Special Features:
- Always a great place to goOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/20/2013Always a great place to go for lunch or dinner. Good food, good prices, pleasant waiters, enjoyable experienceSpecial Features:
- We heep coming back to thisOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/19/2013We heep coming back to this popular San Rafael restaurant amd it's always perfect!Special Features:
- I wish Il Davide had moreSartorialSalVIPDined on 2/19/2013I wish Il Davide had more Italian wines by the glass, but other than that, no complaints!Special Features:
- Found this restaurant on YelpOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2013Found this restaurant on Yelp and our group of six all enjoyed our meals. Very diverse menu and all presentations were lovely and flavors great. Service prompt and friendly. Look forward to coming back!Special Features:
- The service and food are alwaysbonairDined on 2/16/2013The service and food are always great! My wife and I have never been disappointed and often recommend the restaurant.Special Features:
- We had an excellent dinner,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/16/2013We had an excellent dinner, always enjoy eating there.Special Features:
- Small tables for 2. Good,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2013Small tables for 2. Good, reliable fare. What I read about the joint was pretty much spot on.
- Fabulous Re-DiscoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/15/2013Loved the food and service. We were well attended and our server was helpful with suggestions. I think he sold all of us on the specials. We typically dine in San Francisco with friends. I feel like we've re-discovered a gem. I say re-discover because they were packed with a line out the door. So glad we made a reservation! I'll go back soon.Special Features:
- Not the same- poor service!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/15/2013. We booked the day after Valentines Day thinking it might not be too hectic even though it was a Friday night. The last time we had gone the restaurant had been very noisy, with tables more close together and poor service, but we had hoped that was just an off night. Unfortunately, this time was the same if not worse. Our female server was inattentive, unfriendly and did nothing to make us feel welcome, even though we have gone here for years. None of the servers were any better- they all seemed rushed, as well as the owner- they appeared more concerned with the turnover of tables. The food is still good, but after many years of Il Davide, we will not be back.
- Great food! Extremely friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2013Great food! Extremely friendly staff and owner/manager on the very busy night of Valentine's Day!!Special Features:
- great food and service, evenfps7VIPDined on 2/14/2013great food and service, even while jammed with people...we had to wait longer than our res time but it was well worth it...Special Features:
- The food was great, the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013The food was great, the service was great once we got seated. We went on Valentine's Day and the place was packed. Even with a reservation we had to wait 15 minutes for a table. This is a small restaurant, and they really pack the people in there. I will go again, but not on Valentine's Day.Special Features:
- We were so impressed thatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013We were so impressed that the service was so good on such a busy night as Valentine's .Special Features:
- One of our favorites. EvenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2013One of our favorites. Even on busy St. Valentine's Day the service and food was outstanding.Special Features:
- One for your short listOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2013Consistently fresh great food, wonderfully warm service, where we always feel like we're eating with friends.Special Features:
- We made reservations for twoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2013We made reservations for two and got there early. However, due to a wedding party that decided to show up half an hour late to their reservation, we had to wait. Not the restaurants fault, but still frustrating. We were offered wine while we waited, which was nice and much to our surprise, complimentary! The owner, David, even refilled our glasses once we got our table. It was quite loud in the dinning area, which I was not expecting. The waitstaff was very fast, but not very personable. With that being said, the food was exquisite! Prices are reasonable for Marin and the portions were more than I expected. The desert menu had a lot more choices than most, and the Vanilla Panna Catta was to die for! Great experience, but pick a slower nightSpecial Features:
- We reserved a 7pm table.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/9/2013We reserved a 7pm table. When we arrived, almost exactly at 7, there was a crowd of people in the lobby--we inched our way through to the hostess, who told us our table wasn't ready and she couldn't say exactly when it would be. "Maybe fifteen minutes"? she guessed, which as we know usually means around double the time. In other words, they did not honor our reservation. So we definitely do not recommend this restaurant! We left.
- The Best in the Heart of San RafaelOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2013On this visit, our food was excellent, but there have been off evenings in the past when I wondered what went wrong in the kitchen. I have always been greeted with warm enthusiasm by the various maître d's. Our waiter on this visit was very attentive and appropriate. The room feels crowded. The close proximity of the neighboring tables is a bit intimidating for truly intimate conversation. Overall, this is a very good restaurant with a great bar and friendly staff. I actually rate it as the best in downtown San Rafael.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/30/2013One of our water glasses had lipstick mark on it when brought - very off-putting. But our waiter was great...very accommodating and cheerful and gave great service. I have to admit that, what with the white tablecloths and all, we both looked into the bread basket with expectation of some really nice bread, but...we're spoiled I guess - had hoped for something a little more enticing. Our dishes were good, and the feeling that we weren't rushed (nice hours) was great.
- A favorite place to dineMusicloverVIPDined on 1/29/2013I had the short ribs which were tender and swimming in delicious soft polenta. My friend had the sea scallops and loved them. The hostess and waiter were attentive, and friendly. A loud and rude foursome were seated next to us and the hostess and waiter quickly accommodated our request to move. This is a wonderful place to spend an evening!Special Features:
- Very expensive small. NotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013Very expensive small. Not kid friendly and not consistent when crowded food not as goodSpecial Features:
- Been coming to this resterauntOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013Been coming to this resteraunt for years. Always excellent food fun and memorable. A reservations is a must on the weekends. 5 star yummySpecial Features:
- Il Davide: Longevity and QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/26/2013An icon of sorts. Il Davide has stood the tests of time having been in business succesfully for ovew two decades. It has consistently won the pacific-Sun's voter award for Italian Restaurant of the year in Marin. Same owner I knew 209 years ago. Very friendly,excellent food, attentive service. and across the street from the Rafael theater.Special Features:
- This Place Is Ace!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/26/2013Rick makes the best St. George Terroir gin & tonic...simply brill. I'd sell my 97 year old mother into servitude for a plate of the Tortellini con Porcini, and the Burrata with sliced cured coppa and fig jam. Oh...and let's not forget to mention the Tiramisu that even my Nonna cannot come close to making better. An ace evening thanks to David, Rick, Robin, and everyone who worked so hard to make it so! Grazie Mille!Special Features:
- We've had dinner several timesFrugalFoodieVIPDined on 1/26/2013We've had dinner several times at Il Davide and have enjoyed the food. My Pacific Snapper with capers served over cooked spinach was very tasty! Caesar and house salads were OK but slightly under-dressed. The Brussels sprout small plate was OK and would have been improved by caramelizing. The service was excellent. The nose can get uncomfortably loud when the place fills up but is reasonably quiet when dining early before the crowds show up. Food rices are generally reasonable but for a couple having four courses and wine it is hard to get out for less than a C-note.
- Noisy but deliciousFrankieVIPDined on 1/24/2013We had the lamb salad, one of us without the fromage bleu (which they are happy to leave out) and it's always very good. A great place for lunch although this time it was extremely noisy and has not been in the past!Special Features:
- We always love to have dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/20/2013We always love to have dinner at Il Davide. The food is great and Davide welcomes his guests with charm and warmth. We love to bring our friends and family to the restaurant and always feel comfortable and never rushed.Special Features:
- We were a group of six andJSchVIPDined on 1/18/2013We were a group of six and the food, service, entire experience were terrific. Thanks!Special Features:
- Great Italian in San RafaelOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/18/2013This was our first visit and i enjoyed everything about the restaurant - food, decor, and service. Friendly and well run. We dined on a busy friday night , with many parties waiting to be seated. I told the maitre d' we had an Open Table reservation and we were brought right to our table that was set and waiting for us. This told me that the restaurant appreciates Open Table diners and takes our reservations through the site very seriously. I would definately return for social and business meals.Special Features:
- We were able to order ourOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/18/2013We were able to order our favorite romaine salad and will remain addicted to the rollatini de pollo! The vegetables were fresh and delicious as always.Special Features:
- we enjoyed our dinnner veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/15/2013we enjoyed our dinnner very much. service was excellent.Special Features: