Il Cielo - Sanibel
1244 Periwinkle Way
Sanibel, FL 33957Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
Il Cielo - Sanibel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://ilcielo.laferty.com/
- Phone: (239) 472-5555
- Hours of Operation:
Open Monday thru Thursday 4:30pm until 9pm.
Friday and Saturday 4:30pm until 9:30pm.
Happy hour daily from 4:30pm until 6:00pm in the Bar / Lounge, includes small plates from $3.00 to $7.00 and two for one House wines, Domestic Beer and Cocktails.
Three course Prix Fixe menu from 4:30pm until 5:45pm. Featuring an Appetizer, House-made Soup or Salad and Entree with two glasses of wine per person for $38.00 each.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Neil Griffin
- Dress Code: Resort Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Il Cielo - Sanibel
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Il Cielo - Sanibel - Best Restaurants in Sanibel ›
Il Cielo - Sanibel reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (49)romantic (48)fit for foodies (41)neighborhood gem (24)notable wine list (22)good for groups (14)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Fine Dining on SanibelSanibelleDined on 11/22/2014My husband and I had dinner at Il Cielo last weekend. We started with the to soups of the day and both were very good. I had the filet mignon and my husband had the tuna. Both entrees were served as ordered and very good. The focaccia bread and sundried tomato oil were excellent. Service throughout the meal was excellent, and Il Cielo remains one of the few fine dining restaurants on Sanibel to provide consistently good food. My only complaint was that I had ordered my filet with a chimichurri sauce that was served with a different steak. The filet came with a mushroom demi glace that I said I did not want. The chimichurri was not very good, and when the bill came, they had tacked on a $5 surcharge because I had requested it. At the very least, I should have been told this up front, as I probably would have changed my selection. Despite this small glitch, we will definitely return to Il Cielo. There was also a piano player who provided background music throughout dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and service, noisy barstevieDined on 11/20/2014the night we were there a party was at the bar so it did spoil the romantic setting for us, well just a little. our waitress said it was unusual to have a noisy crowd there. great food and Sara our waitress was very good. complimented the chef on our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Italian With Too Few Italian DishesCurtDined on 11/18/2014I had the seafood pasta special. Portions were perfect and the seafood was delicious. However, the marinara sauce looked anemic and had no flavor. The staff was very attentive and helpful, and the ambiance was classy. I would go back if I end up in Sanibel again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal Out on SanibelMouseDined on 11/15/2014Our party of 4 all thoroughly enjoyed the whole evening . Mark , our server was knowledgeable about the menu ! We tried different dishes and we were really surprised at the quality of the meals . Over the years we have tried a great number of restaurants on Sanibel and although the Island itself is beautiful we have always felt it lacked Fine dining - that is until now ! This is an incredible restaurant and worthy of much acclaim !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/12/2014My husband and I ate here on our last night, wish we had tried it earlier, was the best meal on Sanibel. The service was great, the chef even came out to make sure everything was ok. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Entrees disappointing salads greatHowmullDined on 11/11/2014Scallops were undercooked. Ribeye was very thin. Grouper dish was good. Salads were very good. Service was friendly and attentive. Also scallop dish was misleading about contents. Mostly all mashed potatoes and not the leeks that were listed on menu.
- WowedTamraVIPDined on 11/7/2014Our first time here and the service from everyone - Christine, Walter, Susan - was exceptional. We are from DC and service is very important to our enjoyment - They were attentive, knowledgeable, friendly, warm, but not intrusive. There is obviously a good customer service philosophy with training to back it up. Our compliments to the chef for the fabulous food - We tried several things from the tasting menu and ALL were very very good. We will be back.Special Features:
- GOOD, BUT..30thanniversaryDined on 11/6/2014The place and the staff was very good and very friendly! The food was a little less than expected though. Our mistake was in thinking it was an Italian restaurant (shame on us for not reviewing the menu beforehand). Food was ample but not over the top. I ordered a filet at medium/med well and it came out quite a bit less than medium. We never send back so there was a fair amount left on the plate. My wife's dinner included a few shrimp and they were very fishy and really did not seem fresh at all. Overall a mixed review here as food should have lived up to the quality of the place and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014Staff makes you feel like family. Food is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goingouttoeatVIPDined on 11/5/2014We arrived early in the evening and although the food was excellent, service was rushed and I felt they were trying to turn the table over. Dinner was served too quickly after appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT DINNER!PamiDined on 11/5/2014I'd been traveling for awhile, and hadn't been lately. I had forgotten what I'd been missing! Everything was wonderful, food, wine, service! Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A surprise value with atmospherecopyboy48Dined on 11/4/2014What a pleasant surprise to discover this restaurant and that it is such a good value. The last owners had this as one of the priciest on the island and now it is a place that we will always visit on our semi annual visits to Sanibel. My in laws had the scallops and my wife and I had the fish special and we all raved about the quality. Make sure you stop in because it is one of the nicest atmospheres on the island. All of our dishes were under $30 which is a good value for Sanibel.Special Features:
- jakeDined on 10/31/2014There have been ups and downs but the current iteration of Il Cielo has hit its stride. Good food, knowledgeable and friendly staff.Special Features:
- Romantic eveningLuvSanibelDined on 10/28/2014I selected Il Cielo for our anniversary dinner and was not disappointed at all, even though we had never been there before. The food, atmosphere and service was just top notch. We will be going back next year for our anniversary dinner !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing on all levelsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/25/2014The food preparation was uninspiring, coupled with sub-par ingredients. Unfortumately, I would not return for another meal!
- JOEWOODJOEWOODDined on 10/22/2014WE TOOK FRIENDS WHO WERE UNFAMILIAR WITH SANIBEL AND THEY WERE VERY IMPRESSED. WE HAVE EATEN AT EL CIELO OFTEN AND ALWAYS ENJOY BOTH OUR MEAL AND THE ATMOSPHERE. tHE SERVICE IS EXCELLENT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary successCobraDined on 10/17/2014My wife and I enjoyed a quiet and relaxing evening for our anniversary at this wonderful restaurant! The food was amazing and seating comfortable! Would highly recommend and hope to go back again soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- georgeVIPDined on 10/16/2014Real excellence in all dimensions -- from interesting menu to terrific chef to fine service. Even the coffee is first-rate, one measure of a great restaurant.Special Features:
- Was very impressedSanibel57Dined on 10/15/2014I was very excited about going to this restaurant and I wasn't disappointed. The ambiance was very nice and the food was delicious. We had a great waitress and besides being so friendly, she gave us suggestions on what to order, even the desert. I would recommend this restaurant and will go back when we visit Sanibel again.Special Features:
- georgeVIPDined on 10/15/2014Really excellent meal, with exceptional service -- wild mushroom risotto was especially good.Special Features:
- BansheeDined on 10/11/2014Had dinner at Il Cielo twice this month with friends. Place has a classy feeling. Piano was lovely Lamb was superb. Osso bucco really fine. Salads large and well made. Martinis a little stingy. Chef came out to check things out.. Nice touch. Not as pricey as imagined. May be the best on Sanibel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- janiceDined on 10/9/2014Il Cielo's prix fixe including two glasses of wine (thirty-eight dollars) is an amazing adventure to sampling some of their fine dining gems. We are BFF who once a month select an upscale dining experience for our Girls' NIte Out throughout Lee and Collier Counties. Il Cielo is one of Sanibel's grand. It has a luxurious setting, flawless service, and an à la carte haute cuisine menu. Added to the friendliness was the most enjoyable pianist complementing the ambiance even more.Special Features:
- We loved this restaurant!AnamarDined on 10/3/2014We had dinner at Il Cielo last Wednesday and had such a lovely time that we went back on Friday. Everything was perfect, and the piano music on Friday night was a real bonus. On Wednesday (Lorraine was wonderful, cheerful) we had the early dinner prix-fix, and on Friday (Tiffany also super) we had some great small plates. Had a wonderful bottle of Malbec, both nights. No complaints--NONE. We'll be back next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GatorNationVisitorDined on 10/1/2014Our first visit to this restaurant was memorable. Excellent service both friendly and attentive. Quality of food well above average. Excellent early bird menu including discounted bottles of wine. Wife raved about her lamb chops and my beef dish was very good. Excellent deserts. We will return on our next visit to Sanibel. You won't go wrong here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paula812Dined on 9/16/2014We had great service and food. Would recommend to friends to try it out. Great esy special. Waiter was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Call restaurant impossibleWelltraveleddinerDined on 9/12/2014Very bland overall. House dipping sauce had no flavor. Escargot and lobster ravioli appetizers tasted like grocery store frozen items. Staff very pleasant and attentive for the most part. Need some fine tuning. For example, one twist of the pepper grinder and then walking away....I really needed more for the dull Caesar salad.
- sanibel go go fine dining placeDeeandsalDined on 9/6/2014dinner menu brief but really good selections. This is a return restaurant,do not miss this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experienceKBRSRVIPDined on 9/6/2014This restraurant is a true sleeper on Sanibel as the food, service and the setting are outstanding. We both had veal dishes that were tender and unbelievable quality . The piano player is extremely enjoyable as well and takes any suggestions you may have to play. If you haven't been to the restaurant, it is truly worth going .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once Again OutstandingEireneDined on 9/6/2014It had been a YEAR since we dined at Il Cielo. When my husband called for reservations for our 45th anniversary, the Manager asked if we wanted the SAME TABLE as last year! That was the first WOW! To put it simply, our anniversary dinner was simply PERFECT! It's hard to believe, but Scot MacDonald's music was even better than last year. We vowed to never wait another year between visits...so this past weekend we took good friends for dinner. That makes 2 visits in 2 weeks for us. We are very busy telling our friends about this fabulous restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live Music!betterthancookingDined on 9/4/2014The food, service and atmosphere is outstanding at Il Cielo. We had dined there, previously, when there was background music in the form of that "serious" easy listening pop music radio station. It did not suit the setting at all. The live piano music made all the difference! Now if they would just bring back the dance floor, they would be back to the romantic supper club feel of dining and dancing!! I'll settle for the live music, for now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageIsaacDined on 9/2/2014Our expectations were too high after reading the menu. We only enjoyed the wine.Special Features:
- Wonderful , wonderfulSheliotVIPDined on 8/30/2014Beautiful setting, beautiful restaurant, wonderful food, piano music a big bonus. All on all, a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to return!goodfoodJoeVIPDined on 8/29/2014This was our first visit to Il Cielo even though we've wanted to try it since it opened. It was such a wonderful experience that we're returning with friends in a couple of weeks. I ordered from the prix fixe menu, (appetizer, soup or salad, entree, 2 glasses of wine, $38), and my wife ordered from the regular menu. The portion size of my courses were exactly the same as my wife's. Too often, a prix fixe portion is smaller than those on the regular menu. Walter, our server, was attentive and knowledgeable. The meals were delicious beyond our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sanibel GemSanibelMimiDined on 8/23/2014Il Cielo is a must do when you visit Sanibel. The beautiful ambience, delicious food, great chef and staff will ensure your evening is memorable. We have had many wonderful meals with friends here are look forward to our next visit to Il Cielo when we return to Sanibel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good overallMrMiaFLVIPDined on 8/16/2014Dined here with my gf and overall had a nice experience. We shared a salad to start & both ordered a glass of pinot noir. The wine was too warm; it wasn't kept in a wine cooler which is surprising for a restaurant of this caliber. We had the cowboy steak & salmon. My salmon was a little overcooked but was good. My gf enjoyed her steak. The presentation for both were very good. Our server was excellent, very friendly. However, my gf asked the food runner for some pepper for her steak. He returned with a large pepper mill but instead of adding the pepper to her steak he handed her the pepper mill, which was odd. Even with the few quirks I recommend this restaurant if you're looking for something upscale with a nice décor and ambiance.Special Features:
- Special Place for Special EventsLuluMaDined on 8/14/2014Il Cielo at Sanibel is a nicely located restaurant with a romantic ambience (ask for being seated in a booth). During our summer vacation we enjoyed dinner two times. The food variety and taste is top-notch. Menue offers high quality dishes of a modern American Cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At the top of my list on Sanibel!JanieDined on 8/12/2014Superb food and great presentation. A great find on Sanibel! Loved this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SherbDined on 7/31/2014Outstanding, service was outstanding we ordered: Scallops, Steak, Sword Fish and Lobster Ravioli (The Lobster Ravioli was lacking Lobster) Based on every thing else on the main course we would try it again just stay away from the Ravioli. There appetizers, and dessert were great. This is a MUST TRY RESTAURANT if you are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 246 reviews are from the Il Cielo - Sanibel reviews archive.
- Culinary Delightrucooking2niteDined on 7/30/2014This was our first visit to the restaurant and it did not disappoint. The 3 of us ordered the price fix since we were there between 4:40-6:00. Every course was delicious. The price fix also included to glasses of the wine of your choice. This is a fine dining restaurant for special occasions since it is a bit pricey. But I don't mind paying more for quality. The service was as good as the food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Just a LOVELY evening all the way around. The restaurant is beautiful - inside and out. All of the service staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. We sat in the "piano" area and it was surprisingly not too loud and provided the right amount of back ground entertainment without taking away from a fabulous meal. We had the pan roasted local fish - which was black grouper - with crab and asparagus. Absolutely fantastic and not too rich. Will make this a MUST DO every time we go back to Sanibel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.