Il Casale - Belmont
50 Leonard Street
Belmont, MA 02478Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Casale - Belmont
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.ilcasalebelmont.com/
- Phone: (617) 209-4942
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room Monday - Thursday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm Friday and Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm Bar Tuesday - Saturday: 4:30 pm - 11:00 pm Sunday & Monday: 4:30 pm - 10:00 pm Sfizi menu available at the bar after 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please inquire with us about our private party options.
- Private Party Contact: Samantha Kanter 6174974219
A word from Il Casale - Belmont
Il Casale is located in the heart of Belmont at 50 Leonard Street. Acclaimed Chef Dante de Magistris and his brothers Damian and Filippo, the team behind the celebrated Restaurant Dante in Cambridge, have joined forces once again to bring rustic, authentic Italian cuisine to their hometown. The cucina Italiana, which is housed in Belmont’s historic firehouse, offers a beautiful brick patio, white marble bar, and barnwood tables for a unique and enjoyable dining experience. Il Casale is open Monday through Sunday. For reservations and more information please call 617-209-4942 or log on to www.ilcasalebelmont.com. “I loved a lot of restaurants this year, wantonly and casually, and then I moved on. il Casale was one I loved seriously; it’s a keeper. Chef Dante de Magistris and his family hit this one out of the park.” - Devra First, Boston GlobeContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Casale - Belmont reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (115)fit for foodies (101)special occasion (58)romantic (46)good for groups (41)hot spot (35)vibrant bar scene (31)notable wine list (30)great for outdoor dining (30)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (8)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Il Casale is worth our driveDebSDined on 11/20/2014We travel quite a distance to dine at Il Casale and it is well worth it. We have always enjoyed our dinner and the warm and inviting atmosphere. The service is exceptional. We arrived at 5:30 for an early dinner before a town meeting on a Thursday. It was very quiet when we were seated but by the time we left, a non rushed 2 hours later the restaurant was full. Be sure to make a reservation in advance or plan to dine early. From cocktails to dessert you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group Dinner for 10BRCiZeroDined on 11/18/2014Il Casale was an excellent choice for our celebration dinner for 10 people. Outstanding food. Attentive and knowledgeable service. Terrific setting and atmosphere. Full marks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful findArlingtonFoodieDined on 11/14/2014Despite the noise level, we will keep coming back to ilcasale for years to come. Food is veryverygood, waiters while busy are quite attentive and the whole experience is lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Our entire experience was great! From the beer and wine which we stared with, picking the food from an interesting menu was fun and enjoyable. We tried 2 appetizers, a salad and a pair of entries which we theoretically were going to split. All of our food (including the bread to start) was absolutely excellent. We even finished with expresso and enjoyed that as well. Not a typical night out for us, but it was a wonderful experience from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Dining ExperienceSFOVisitorDined on 11/12/2014I have been to Il Casale many times and each time my experience has been great except for this time. I ordered prosecco to start with and the cork was bad so the taste was bad. Then the caesar salad didn't have sufficient dressing. By far, the worst was the veal scallopini. The texture of the meat was completely off-putting and the sauce was very bitter. I should have stuck to having pasta, but since that's what I eat every time, I wanted a change. Alas, the change was not for the better!
- A wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/11/2014We had a wonderful meal at Il Casale. The food was terrific, and it's nice that they offer pastas in appetizer or entree portions so that it is possible to try a few different dishes. Service was very professional, and the space is beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable outingukrainianlaundryDined on 11/6/2014Recently brought some visiting colleagues to Il Casale for a group dining experience. Service was friendly and helpful. Cool vibe and urban chic environment with a touch of Italy was appreciated by our group. Food was impeccably delivered with attention to authentic Italian preparation. Flavors and presentation are both rustic and refined. I highly recommend the family style experience.Special Features:
- Four and a half starsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/31/2014Just had our first dinner there, and overall it was very, very good, with only small criticisms. Certain dishes were outstanding, including the grilled radicchio with mascarpone (a vegetable side that we ordered as an appetizer) and the extremely tasty grilled whole fish special. Other dishes were slightly less satisfying, such as a monkfish special that was on the bland side, especially when compared with the grilled fish, or the apple crostata dessert, which had a great pastry shell but apple slices that were a bit tough. But overall, a wonderful meal, and we'll be back. All the staff were warm and welcoming, from the front door to the table-clearers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So sad for BelmontDissapointedDined on 10/30/2014There are not many restsurants to choose from in Belmont. That may explain why Il Casale is so overrated & overpriced. It had all the noise & ambiance of a food court. My aroncini were greasy. The veal was chewy. However, the servers was terrific & the bar seem a comfortable place for informally gathering with friends.Special Features:
- Okay -- Not SpectacularBonnieboop123Dined on 10/28/2014Went here expecting spectacular. Disappointed. Waiter was from Mars. Had to had him about specials -- he didn't volunteer. When asked to describe certain dishes, he was rote, not excited in the least, lacking energy. Same has to be said for the food. It was fine, but nothing more. Don't know what the big whoop is about regarding this restaurant.Special Features:
- another great mealmarlbethVIPDined on 10/25/2014Wonderful food, terrific service, the only downside is how noisy the place is. Good wines by the glass. Cannoli wan't great.Special Features:
- Lots of funOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014We enjoyed dinner for our second anniversary. First time there, and it was great! Make a reservation, it was busy!Special Features:
- Fun place good foodChaChaDined on 10/24/2014The selection of food and wine was really good. And a enthusiastic but not overly attentive waiter made the evening really fun. I love the revamped firehouse to restaurant - character and good space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciosotheartofeatingVIPDined on 10/20/2014The service was friendly and professional and the food was outstanding. My date and I share everything, the cheese plate, the polenta (delicioso!!), and the fish entree. I would go here again and again and again.Special Features:
- Consistently good!Gar79VIPDined on 10/20/2014Another nice evening at Il Casale. We took out of town guests and everyone enjoyed their meals. Arancini appetizer and mushroom side were both noteworthy. Good service too. Only negative is that it's very loud and difficult to carry on a conversation-maybe because it's a former fire station which provides a unique ambiance.Special Features:
- Always a great meal.NewcomerVIPDined on 10/18/2014We come to Il Casale whenever we can get a reservation. It's always a great meal, the service is unbelievable and you are never rushed.Special Features:
- An off NightOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/17/2014We were a bit disappointed by our visit on Friday evening. Our reservation was on the late side(8:45pm). Our table was ready, but for some reason, our waiter was not on top of our table, nor was the bus staff. We waited over 5 minutes for our water to be fill. Our waiter was nice and a seasoned waiter, but for some reason was not on top of our table. We had two teenagers with us, but this was no excuse. We had to track him down to order refills on our beverages, items needed at our table, etc.. Just not a top night performance by this server. He was engaged in a party of 10 seated next to us and another table of 4, but this was no excuse for what happened to us. We will go back as it's a wonderful place and a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- good food but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/15/2014As I get older, I find myself more aware of noise levels and the difficulty they pose when conversing with one's dining companions. This is an issue at Il Casale. Very good food, nice wine list, friendly and attentive service, but hard to hear everyone in our party of five. A carpet on the concrete floor would help a lot.Special Features:
- hhwdsfarnsworthVIPDined on 10/11/2014We have not been here for a few years and our experience was just as pleasant as previously. Excellent food, very attentive and informed wait staff, and a nice room (converted firehouse). It tends to pretty noisy which can make conversation across the table harder.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd Wedding AnniversaryGiantDinersDined on 10/5/2014I reserved a table here for my 2nd Wedding anniversary. I went here a year ago for my birthday and enjoyed the food tremendously. This time I tried something new and went for the catch of the day and had "Amberjack", which I had seen on sport fishing shows, but had never eaten one. It was cooked so well and was fresh for that kind of fish. I have been a fisherman since I was 3 so I know the difference between an old fish and a fresh fish. Funny enough even my wife liked it and she doesn't eat, but two other fish that I know of. Her pasta dinner was good as well. The been and wine selection was very good. We received a complementary prosecco since I mentioned our anniversary on the reservation. That was a nice bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceschutzieDined on 10/5/2014The waitstaff recognized i wanted to be served, even when the rest of my family had not yet arrived. They were friendly, attentive and prompt. the food was terrific and every morsel was gobbled down!Special Features:
- Tastes like ItalyfoodluverVIPDined on 10/3/2014I have been here twice and both times were pretty stellar. It's located in Belmont center, which is cute and cozy. Inside the decor is a mixture of rustic wooden tables and dramatic green curtains hung on the walls. It is often busy, so go early. The real reason to go to this place is the food. It truly tastes like Italy (I have been to Italy twice.) The food is simple, fresh and done right. I actually would probably be willing to pay more, considering the quality of the food. Drinks are good to. The service is friendly, but not to obtrusivve. It is a wonderful, casually elegant place to dine.Special Features:
- great take in BelmontseekingsuburbanspotsDined on 10/3/2014Super menu of Italian specialties, lots of choices for vegetarians as well (this surprised me). I had the Sicilian roast chicken and my date had the chicken parmigiana -- all perfectly done. Also, we tried the arancini appetizer: superb! Great wine selection. Overall: a bit on the pricey side, but nicely prepared plates, and appropriate for a special occasion. Decor is amazing (converted firehouse). I felt like I was in Italy for a little while!Special Features:
- Stunning as usualMickVIPDined on 9/28/2014Belmont Townies and newbies cannot believe that a restaurant as good as Il Casale has landed in our midst. Our Sunday night dinner, less crowded than usual, featured our favorite waiter, sophisticated but not at all off-putting, older guy, friendly, funny, attentive, who remembered us; a younger person, and others. great, great food; ample portions, even the smaller size; wonderful beer and wine lists, just a fun place with great food and service. Menu changes often, though old favorites remain, but try something new. You'll probably like.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Service was ok, food was overpriced and not very good. I had the rack of lamb, very salty and hardly any meat, mostly fat! My friend had the veal which she said was good but also very salty. Even the salad wasn't very good. Very disappointed with the entire meal.
- A touch of excellencesayThatAGAINVIPDined on 9/21/2014How great to go to a local restaurant and find imaginative fare and decor! Always very good to excellent; and they know how to pour a drink.Special Features:
- A WONDERFUL TOUCH OF ITALYCwjeVIPDined on 9/20/2014The restaurant was perfect in every way! The food fabulous and authentically Italian!!!! The service was extraordinary! Our server, Fabrizio, was marvelous in explaining the dishes and in his care of us. The ambiance clean, refreshing and lovely. The acoustics were great for such a large room. We recommend this delightful restaurant which is true to the Italian cuisine. 5 STARS for sure!!!Special Features:
- Good food - not so good serviceDebraFrancesDined on 9/19/2014i found the wait staff to be friendly, but not attentive enough. Perhaps they were too busy. The restaurant was crowded. I could have easily ordered a second glass of wine if they had asked prior to me completing my dinner. I also think the dinner came out too quickly after the appetizers and salad. The noise level was too high. It was more than energetic. It was difficult to hear everyone at the table. Salad was excellent and they split it which was nice. Everyone's meal was good although the pasta dishes were a bit on the small side. I plan on trying it again to see if we get better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely until it went southADMWFMDined on 9/19/2014Had a 6 pm reservation for myself, my mother & my 2 sisters. My wedding was 1 week away, and I figured Il Casale would be perfect for a celebratory dinner after my last dress fitting. I called day of to let the restaurant know it was a very special dinner for us. Food was great - we ordered a bottle of wine, salads, 4 entrees, coffees, and 4 desserts. As we sat happily sipping our coffees, an unfamiliar waiter came and asked if we needed anything else. At the SAME moment a male manager approached from the other side and essentially said we had been there long enough. We were appalled. It had been less than 3 hours and we spent $300 there moments earlier. I was also humiliated, having booked the place - horrible end to a nice meal.Special Features:
- Vegan made possibleDianaDined on 9/19/2014In-laws in town who love meat. We vacationed with them in Italy a couple of years ago so wanted to share the experience at Il Casale. We weren't disappointed. In-laws loved the rack of lamb. We, recently converted from vegetarian to vegan, were deliciously drenched in pasta with tomato sauce and basil and chicory with raisins. Yum!Special Features:
- Good place, but aloof staffTuck95Dined on 9/18/2014Stopped in for a late dinner last week. The food was good, but the hostess and wait staff seemed somewhat bothered by our presence. Very uninspired service. Food was great, so it's a shame.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a tripArlingtonFoodieDined on 9/10/2014Our first experience at this lovely restaurant- attentive waiter with true italian accent, lovey menu, romantic atmosphere, only complaint was noise level due to high ceilings and brick facade which somehow adds to the charm except that you might find yourself shouting to be heard. We will definitely go back. Not for anyone who has a hearing loss though!Special Features:
- top notchoingoboingoDined on 9/10/2014We enjoy dining out and have visited all the great restaurants in the larger Boston area. Il Casale stands up well against the big guns in Boston and Cambridge. The salumeria was the best I've had in a very long time, the wine was great, the gnocci were lovely, the veal and lamb were very good, and the service was really outstanding. We will undoubtedly return.Special Features:
- PARTY50Dined on 9/6/201450th birthday party for sister, everyone was very accommodating, was able to arrive early to decorate table. Food was delicious, wait staff was awesome. Great place to have a party!!!Special Features:
- 'il Casale, belmont- reviewyumyumDined on 9/5/2014The decor was great the food the wait service. Everything top. Fun and delicious. Extra care for the authenticity or the food and waiter communicated half in Italian which not necessary but added to the great experience. All staff support each other. Water glass was never empty. Can't say enough. One minor thing it was so busy that no one ask if we wanted coffee or ' anything' else at the end and couldn't get anyone's attention. But not a issue. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must !!!sailor78Dined on 9/1/2014We try to visit IL Casale a few times each summer since we live in Key West during the winter. I also appreciate your gluten free menu. Every meal has been great. Keep doing what you do best. Thank you,Jim McElroySpecial Features:
- Great spot for a terrific dinnerCarlTDined on 8/31/2014Our group arrived on a busy Sunday evening. We had prompt service and plenty of information about the restaurant itself and the cuisine from our server. All dishes were excellent and the ability to order half servings made it easy to share different dishes among us. This was a rare place where the side dishes were as good as the main dishes. The polenta with the truffle oil took top honors among the sides. Desserts were also up to the standards of the rest of the meal. Definitely worth the trip.Special Features:
- Nice TimeWatertownDined on 8/31/2014Group of 5 couples celebrating back to school together. The server was knowledgeable and attentive. The support staff was very helpful but did not look like they were having fun. The food was well prepared and hot. Overall very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some high notes, otherwise boringNickVDined on 8/30/2014The Prosciutto & Melone appetizer was made great by the addition of burrata. Otherwise, the food here didn't live up to the expectations set by friends who'd been here. The pasta didn't harmonize well with the sauce, and was inconsistently cooked (some mushy, some al dente).Special Features:
- Reliably good mealFoodSnarkDined on 8/29/2014We've been to Il Casale a few times and each time our meal is excellent. Plus, there's an Italian gentleman who's served us the last two times and he is a true gem. Makes great recommendations but generally stays away except when needed --- sort of in the old style of waiting tables. The only thing I don't like (and it's so minor) is all the weird fake plants. I feel the architecture of this place is so interesting that the plants are just visual noise. Anyway ... that's just me being super picky. I really like Il Casale a lot.Special Features: