Il Casale- Belmont
50 Leonard Street
Belmont, MA 02478Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Casale- Belmont
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.ilcasalebelmont.com/
- Phone: 6172094942
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room Monday - Thursday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm Friday and Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm Bar Tuesday - Saturday: 4:30 pm - 11:00 pm Sunday & Monday: 4:30 pm - 10:00 pm Sfizi menu available at the bar after 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please inquire with us about our private party options.
- Private Party Contact: Samantha Kanter 6174974219
A word from Il Casale- Belmont
Il Casale is located in the heart of Belmont at 50 Leonard Street. Acclaimed Chef Dante de Magistris and his brothers Damian and Filippo, the team behind the celebrated Restaurant Dante in Cambridge, have joined forces once again to bring rustic, authentic Italian cuisine to their hometown. The cucina Italiana, which is housed in Belmont’s historic firehouse, offers a beautiful brick patio, white marble bar, and barnwood tables for a unique and enjoyable dining experience. Il Casale is open Monday through Sunday. For reservations and more information please call 617-209-4942 or log on to www.ilcasalebelmont.com. “I loved a lot of restaurants this year, wantonly and casually, and then I moved on. il Casale was one I loved seriously; it’s a keeper. Chef Dante de Magistris and his family hit this one out of the park.” - Devra First, Boston GlobeContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Casale- Belmont reviews from OpenTable diners
164 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (107)fit for foodies (89)special occasion (79)great for outdoor dining (57)romantic (46)vibrant bar scene (35)good for groups (32)notable wine list (24)hot spot (22)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- One of my favoritesvivaitalia1Dined on 8/23/2014Yet again, Il Casale was a delight. The food and service never fail in their quality. I always look forward to the gnocchi which I rate highest in the Boston area -- it is real Italian gnocchi, smooth and delicate, not the hard dry lumps that are usually offered as gnocchi in the US. My daughter and I ate outside -- it was so much quieter than in the restaurant proper. There, the noise level is the only drawback eating here. But everything else -- food, service, wine -- are always top-notch. I no longer live in town but manage to eat at Il Casale every time I get back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/21/2014Excellent as always. Angelo, our waiter is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful first visitLeahDined on 8/20/2014This was our first time here and it was wonderful. Our waiter was attentive and kind. We were only in for drinks and sat at a small table by the bar. I also appreciated when we were waiting to cash out a manager grabbed our check and cashed us out. (That's one thing I hate is being held up at a resturant when your trying to get out.) would defiantly recommend for dinner and wine or even just apps and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas all aroundTheComputerMedicVIPDined on 8/19/2014We had the meatballs (strangely, beef and pork as separate dishes), gnocchi, burrata, polenta, arancini, and calamari. The polenta with truffle oil was creamy and the real highlight. We would come back for that and try some other dishes. However, the meatballs were good but not special or unique or impressive, just "meatballs." The arancini were good but uninspired. The calamari was like that found at any bar, again nothing special. We will try again.Special Features:
- Always a great meal.NewcomerVIPDined on 8/16/2014We go to Il Casale often and are never disappointed. The food is excellent and the service is fantastic. The only drawback is, because of it's popularity, sometimes it's hard to get a reservation. Recommend very highly.Special Features:
- Good food, slow serviceCambridgeMomDined on 8/12/2014We arrived for our 6:30 reservation and ordered cocktails right away. Then we placed our order about 15 minutes later. We shared 3 small plates, ordered salads, and shared a large pasta (primi) dish. The small plates came out right away. The mozzarella and the tuna crudo were delicious. The arancini balls were a little on the dry side. Then we waited for 30 minutes for our salads to come out, and another 15-20 minutes after that for our pasta. I'm really not sure why the salads and the pasta took so long to get out as they were not complicated dishes. We were there on a random Tuesday night and did not expect the service to be so slow. The food is good, but be prepared for a 3 hour meal.Special Features:
- disappointedrosieDined on 8/11/2014We shared small dishes - the calamari was all breading and tasteless, the arancini was good, not great, the bean/kale side dish was over salted, the greens were ok, the pasta with shrimp and lemon bread crumb was the best part of the meal - quite delicious. The service was painfully slow - they came back 3 times to ask if we wanted more bread. Hungry, we said yes and filled up on a lot of bread. A disappointing experience in general.Special Features:
- Wonderful consistent restaurantmainelyfoodDined on 8/10/2014This was probably my 5th visit. Always lovely choices, everything is well prepared, the ambiance is warm and the prices aren't bad. Nice wines, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food close to homeEAKAZANVIPDined on 8/9/2014The great food is the reason to come, having Fabrizio as your waiter makes the evening all the better! Find a parking space right in front...almost better than the dessert. A hot spot that transcends all age groups and occasions from birthdays and weeding anniversaries to just a night out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much improvedSheenabeaDined on 8/1/2014I first came to Il Casale 2 weeks after they first opened ever. I loved the atmosphere and the food was delicious, however, they were still working out the service kinks. We went for my husband's birthday for the first time since then and they did not disappoint! Food was excellent and service was fantastic! I will say, the restaurant is very loud. I think it may just be the way the place is, but, it was very hard to have a conversation while we ate because we could barely hear each other. Our reservation was at 6:30pm. but they sat us as soon as we arrived at 6:05pm.Special Features:
- FOOD AND SERVICEMelbaVIPDined on 7/26/2014everything about this place yells quality! great food, service spot on cant say anything bad about it at allSpecial Features:
- Il CasalememeDined on 7/23/2014Lovely dinner. Best part (for me) of Il Casale is that they have options for smaller portions. This is great for someone with a smaller appetite, or those who want to try several small dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatticakeDined on 7/17/2014I had the snapper special and it was excellent, with a beautiful risotto. My husband had the veal scalloping and found it oily. But we enjoyed seeing how a firehouse was turned into a very. Successful restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinner at Il Casalefoodandservice2Dined on 7/12/2014We have been celebrating our anniversary at Il Casale in Belmont, MA ever since it has opened there a few years ago. We went again this year, and had a wonderful experience yet again. We love to eat al fresco, and the restaurant has a wonderful outdoor area. It reminds us of dining in Italy, to be quite honest. There were three of us, since our son had joined us, and we ordered a myriad of different foods, a fine bottle of wine, and a great desert to top it all off. The food was absolutely delicious, and the portions perfect. The service was beyond wonderful, which added so much to our special day. Needless to say we are going back again for our next anniversary as well as in between. We all highly recommend Il Casale in Belmont, MA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All looks no substanceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/7/2014A pretty restaurant but the food doesn’t stand up. Lack of flavor hid behind loads of salt. The pasta with the lemon and breadcrumbs was so salty my mouth was burning. The tuna crudo appetizer was just strange. It was warmish tuna served on a bean puree. Did not go together. The arancini was masked with a weird tomato flavor. I have to say the burrata was delicious. The panna cotta dessert was made in plastic cups and turned out so that you could still see the ribbing. A total turn off yet the accompanying strawberries were delicious. Would not recommend. Will not return.Special Features:
- Good but Just MissesDavidVIPDined on 7/5/2014Everything was good, but could have been a bit better. If you know that two people are sharing a sfizi, why put three on the plate? Either make them smaller and put four on the plate, or make them larger and put two on the plate. Also, while we asked for everything to come out at once, the server might have reminded us that the calamari should be eaten first while they are still hot. The cold calamari were not very good. Plate clearing was a little slow. Table arrangement not quite suitable for me to check the "romantic" box.Special Features:
- Trying To Re-Love Il Casale AgaintecrunnerVIPDined on 7/4/2014We fell in love with Il Casale when it opened in Belmont, and have dined there many times, including many special family and couples occasions. We've always loved the fact that they were open on many hard to schedule days (Christmas Eve, holidays). The food, wine list, all great, reasonably priced, and a wonderful room to boot. Recently, I took a work group there, and the experience came off the rails; B team service, cold entrees and coffee, disappearing wait staff, no water refills throughout dinner. This in a 1/2 full room. Noting our disappointment on our check, one of the owners came to apologize and gave us his card. My wife and I returned last night and were rushed through dinner in under an hour. Great food, bums rush service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ExperienceNewcomerVIPDined on 7/4/2014The only complaint I have of Il Casale is that it's difficult to get a reservation, so when I got one, it was everything I expected. The food was delicious from appetizers to desert. Our waiter was wonderful, along with the other wait staff, who were always around if you needed anything. The ambiance was relaxed and comfortable. Thank you Il Casale for a wonderful dinner. I hope I'm able to get another reservation soon!Special Features:
- Summer ExperienceGoldieDined on 7/2/2014Il Casale has a good menu with interesting use of herbs and spices on well prepared entrees. Using seasonal vegetables makes a meal pleasurable each season of the year. The restaurant is in an old fire station with solid brick walls. Because of this, unfortunately, the noise level is quite high detracting from the attention to ones companion and the dining experience a a whole. For this reason my companion and I go only to the restaurant during the summer when it is possible to sit outside. That is a very nice experience in itself. On a pleasant summer evening it is enjoyable watching the people pass by and enjoy the evening breezes without the noise of loud voices in the background.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and outdoor seatingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/27/2014We sat outside and had the Chef's family special. The outdoor seating is wonderful if the weather is good. For the family special, you don't have any choices but get a special selection of what is available that evening. Everything was excellent with only 2 minor quibbles. One is that we both got the same pasta while for other courses, the two of us got something different. The second is the scourge of almost all restaurants these days, namely that with multiple courses the portions were too large. Even with choosing the smaller of the two options, we went home with 3 take-out containers.Special Features:
- Expensive but mediocrejsachsDined on 6/25/2014Went here for the first time for a special occasion and were disappointed after all the good reviews. Parts of our entrees were nicely prepared, but other parts were tasteless or off. The chicory tasted nothing like chicory in Italy. Wine was very nice. For a meal at this price the value was terrible.
- Love it! & love LexingtonLoveGreatFoodDined on 6/24/2014Great burrata, nice housemade pasta. Food, ambience, service is superb - although I'm partial to the Southern Italian cuisine served at it's sister restaurant in Lexington. Love having both optionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take your time here!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/23/2014Terrific food and very good service - plan to take your time to savor the food and atmosphere here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3/4 thereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/22/2014Everything was great until our main course arrived. The wait staff which had been very attentive, virtually disappeared. Our waiter never checked on our meals (both my wife's and my entree were overcooked) in fact we could not get anyone's attention until we were asked if we wanted dessert. What started out as a positive experience, ended as very blah. We will try again, but expectations are now not so high.
- Anoter fine experince at Il CasalePaulVIPDined on 6/20/2014Staff was very accommodating, first accommodating request for Outdoor table, then okay with switching us to originally requested window table, as party thought it might be too cold outside. Food was great, suggested pork meatballs were a great recommendation, the Aged Manhattan was a great cocktail, and the half portions of pasta are great for keeping meals to a reasonable amount of food.Special Features:
- Nice little Italian placerselisDined on 6/15/2014I had arancini to start; perfect! Soft and cheesy on the inside and a perfect crispy crust on the outside. Then had gnocchi; light and fluffy. Finally, scaloppini with black truffle. I love truffles but maybe there were a little too much.... I was 'truffled out'. 2 people; 2 apps., 2 small pasta plates, 2 mains, 2 glasses wine and 1 dessert = 125$Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Italian RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014We enjoyed our visit to this restaurant. The food was outstanding and the service was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood diningBainesVIPDined on 6/12/2014Adequate Italian for a suburban venue with a good wine list.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ArleneDined on 6/8/2014Our anniversary was that night and they brought us complimentary champagne. Very impressive! All food was delicious and service was perfect.Special Features:
- Il CasaleRonMacVIPDined on 6/8/2014Outstanding food and service. This was our first time at Il Casale, it will become a once a month habit in the future. We plan to work our way through the menu.Special Features:
- Finally we made it thereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/8/2014IOt has been long time that we were striving to dine there, difficult to get reservations, hot spot, but we were in the area and early enough ahead of the rush time and got a outdoor sitting opportunity. It is italian, mostly carb and I am not spagetti man. I can not say I was thrilled after soo much expectaion build up. Not a drinker but apparently the wine was good, I was told by my friend. Overall it is OK. Tried different carbs, calamari did not taste interesting, it was too heavy on the crust side. I can not say it is worthy of the trip but if you are around there it is a place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local Italian gemartsoDined on 6/7/2014A very good restaurant with an extensive Italian menu, but I wish the noise level were lower.Special Features:
- Dinner Early Friday EveningOpenTableDinerSince2005Dined on 6/6/2014Arrived at 6:30PM for a dinner for two; our second time here for dinner. The place was full, both inside and out on the patio, but we were seated within a couple of minutes. The service was very good, neither rushed nor hurried, and the waiter had no problems dealing with the seafood allergies that I have. We thought the food was excellent (as it was on the first visit). We had the pork meatballs appetizer, the Tagliatelle al ragu Bolognese, Mixed Grill, snap peas and sauteed mushrooms. For dessert we had the black and blueberry sorbet and the ricotta e pere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an enjoyable eveningnickVIPDined on 6/3/2014the place was packed on a tuesday evening but that did not get in the way of excellent service. We were never rushed;the food was very good, the atmosphere great, the noise level energetic but not deafening. We would definitely return, which is probably why the restaurant was so full.Special Features:
- Consistent ExcellenceBobG02478VIPDined on 6/3/2014I have had many meals here and they have been consistently great. From the hostesses to the waiters to the bar tenders, the staff members are seasoned professionals. My current favorites: 1) Appetizers: miale, calamari (be sure to eat the fried lemon wedges), tuna crudo, 2) Mains: vitello (w/ truffle over brocolli rabe), bolognese, grilled, mixed seafood. Their signature cocktails are very good. The beer and wine selections could use a refresh. Do yourself a favor and check out this suburban gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerJlljDined on 6/3/2014Great food. It was busy even on a Tuesday. The outdoor patio is pretty and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a lovely eveningamandaamaeVIPDined on 6/2/2014it's been a few months since we've dined here so we were surprised to find the menu changed. the bar (bless them) was able to make my favorite blueberry acai martini which was not on the current menu! bring back the candied pistachio burrata! (but keep the new size!!!) I felt the sfizi were all within the same tomato-y flavor profile..would have liked some variety. the bread is so chewy and delicious it's seriously amazing. the fresh pasta never disappoints >> tomato basil tufoli + carbonara << we shared the lamb which was beautifully presented and delicious, although slightly overcooked to out specification. tiramisu was lovely, we enjoyed the bits and shavings of chocolate.Special Features:
- Good Italian, Nice AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/2/2014Wanted to explore the Belmont downtown and picked this restaurant. It has a nice outdoor eating area and it was such a nice night we ate outside. Wine list was decent so had some italian wine and my wife had some Prosecco. Ordered a homemade pasta appetizer to share, it was al dente, good sauce but a little more chewy than we'd like. Had the veal scallopine with broccoli rabe, which had a nice sauce but a bit too much lemon for my taste. Wife had a tile fish special that she liked. Service was good but actually a bit too fast as we were finished in less than an hour, without dessert. Sometimes that's good but the fast pace the food was delivered would be tough if everything was freshly made. Overall this was good, not great italianSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HeidiVIPDined on 6/1/2014Service extremely slow. Food terribly over seasoned. Will not return.Special Features:
- Good foodBubblyVIPDined on 5/30/2014Limited menu, would have liked a more interesting pasta selectionSpecial Features: