Il Casale- Belmont
50 Leonard Street
Belmont, MA 02478Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Il Casale- Belmont
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.ilcasalebelmont.com/
- Phone: 6172094942
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room Monday - Thursday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm Friday and Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm Bar Tuesday - Saturday: 4:30 pm - 11:00 pm Sunday & Monday: 4:30 pm - 10:00 pm Sfizi menu available at the bar after 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please inquire with us about our private party options.
- Private Party Contact: Samantha Kanter 6174974219
A word from Il Casale- Belmont
Il Casale is located in the heart of Belmont at 50 Leonard Street. Acclaimed Chef Dante de Magistris and his brothers Damian and Filippo, the team behind the celebrated Restaurant Dante in Cambridge, have joined forces once again to bring rustic, authentic Italian cuisine to their hometown. The cucina Italiana, which is housed in Belmont’s historic firehouse, offers a beautiful brick patio, white marble bar, and barnwood tables for a unique and enjoyable dining experience. Il Casale is open Monday through Sunday. For reservations and more information please call 617-209-4942 or log on to www.ilcasalebelmont.com. “I loved a lot of restaurants this year, wantonly and casually, and then I moved on. il Casale was one I loved seriously; it’s a keeper. Chef Dante de Magistris and his family hit this one out of the park.” - Devra First, Boston GlobeContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Casale- Belmont reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (112)fit for foodies (91)special occasion (68)great for outdoor dining (54)romantic (46)good for groups (35)vibrant bar scene (30)notable wine list (25)hot spot (23)kid-friendly (13)great for brunch (4)late-night find (4)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- A touch of excellencesayThatAGAINVIPDined on 9/21/2014How great to go to a local restaurant and find imaginative fare and decor! Always very good to excellent; and they know how to pour a drink.Special Features:
- A WONDERFUL TOUCH OF ITALYCwjeVIPDined on 9/20/2014The restaurant was perfect in every way! The food fabulous and authentically Italian!!!! The service was extraordinary! Our server, Fabrizio, was marvelous in explaining the dishes and in his care of us. The ambiance clean, refreshing and lovely. The acoustics were great for such a large room. We recommend this delightful restaurant which is true to the Italian cuisine. 5 STARS for sure!!!Special Features:
- Lovely until it went southADMWFMDined on 9/19/2014Had a 6 pm reservation for myself, my mother & my 2 sisters. My wedding was 1 week away, and I figured Il Casale would be perfect for a celebratory dinner after my last dress fitting. I called day of to let the restaurant know it was a very special dinner for us. Food was great - we ordered a bottle of wine, salads, 4 entrees, coffees, and 4 desserts. As we sat happily sipping our coffees, an unfamiliar waiter came and asked if we needed anything else. At the SAME moment a male manager approached from the other side and essentially said we had been there long enough. We were appalled. It had been less than 3 hours and we spent $300 there moments earlier. I was also humiliated, having booked the place - horrible end to a nice meal.Special Features:
- Vegan made possibleDianaDined on 9/19/2014In-laws in town who love meat. We vacationed with them in Italy a couple of years ago so wanted to share the experience at Il Casale. We weren't disappointed. In-laws loved the rack of lamb. We, recently converted from vegetarian to vegan, were deliciously drenched in pasta with tomato sauce and basil and chicory with raisins. Yum!Special Features:
- Good place, but aloof staffTuck95Dined on 9/18/2014Stopped in for a late dinner last week. The food was good, but the hostess and wait staff seemed somewhat bothered by our presence. Very uninspired service. Food was great, so it's a shame.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a tripArlingtonFoodieDined on 9/10/2014Our first experience at this lovely restaurant- attentive waiter with true italian accent, lovey menu, romantic atmosphere, only complaint was noise level due to high ceilings and brick facade which somehow adds to the charm except that you might find yourself shouting to be heard. We will definitely go back. Not for anyone who has a hearing loss though!Special Features:
- top notchoingoboingoDined on 9/10/2014We enjoy dining out and have visited all the great restaurants in the larger Boston area. Il Casale stands up well against the big guns in Boston and Cambridge. The salumeria was the best I've had in a very long time, the wine was great, the gnocci were lovely, the veal and lamb were very good, and the service was really outstanding. We will undoubtedly return.Special Features:
- PARTY50Dined on 9/6/201450th birthday party for sister, everyone was very accommodating, was able to arrive early to decorate table. Food was delicious, wait staff was awesome. Great place to have a party!!!Special Features:
- 'il Casale, belmont- reviewyumyumDined on 9/5/2014The decor was great the food the wait service. Everything top. Fun and delicious. Extra care for the authenticity or the food and waiter communicated half in Italian which not necessary but added to the great experience. All staff support each other. Water glass was never empty. Can't say enough. One minor thing it was so busy that no one ask if we wanted coffee or ' anything' else at the end and couldn't get anyone's attention. But not a issue. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must !!!sailor78Dined on 9/1/2014We try to visit IL Casale a few times each summer since we live in Key West during the winter. I also appreciate your gluten free menu. Every meal has been great. Keep doing what you do best. Thank you,Jim McElroySpecial Features:
- Great spot for a terrific dinnerCarlTDined on 8/31/2014Our group arrived on a busy Sunday evening. We had prompt service and plenty of information about the restaurant itself and the cuisine from our server. All dishes were excellent and the ability to order half servings made it easy to share different dishes among us. This was a rare place where the side dishes were as good as the main dishes. The polenta with the truffle oil took top honors among the sides. Desserts were also up to the standards of the rest of the meal. Definitely worth the trip.Special Features:
- Nice TimeWatertownDined on 8/31/2014Group of 5 couples celebrating back to school together. The server was knowledgeable and attentive. The support staff was very helpful but did not look like they were having fun. The food was well prepared and hot. Overall very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some high notes, otherwise boringNickVDined on 8/30/2014The Prosciutto & Melone appetizer was made great by the addition of burrata. Otherwise, the food here didn't live up to the expectations set by friends who'd been here. The pasta didn't harmonize well with the sauce, and was inconsistently cooked (some mushy, some al dente).Special Features:
- Reliably good mealFoodSnarkDined on 8/29/2014We've been to Il Casale a few times and each time our meal is excellent. Plus, there's an Italian gentleman who's served us the last two times and he is a true gem. Makes great recommendations but generally stays away except when needed --- sort of in the old style of waiting tables. The only thing I don't like (and it's so minor) is all the weird fake plants. I feel the architecture of this place is so interesting that the plants are just visual noise. Anyway ... that's just me being super picky. I really like Il Casale a lot.Special Features:
- One of my favoritesvivaitalia1Dined on 8/23/2014Yet again, Il Casale was a delight. The food and service never fail in their quality. I always look forward to the gnocchi which I rate highest in the Boston area -- it is real Italian gnocchi, smooth and delicate, not the hard dry lumps that are usually offered as gnocchi in the US. My daughter and I ate outside -- it was so much quieter than in the restaurant proper. There, the noise level is the only drawback eating here. But everything else -- food, service, wine -- are always top-notch. I no longer live in town but manage to eat at Il Casale every time I get back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/21/2014Excellent as always. Angelo, our waiter is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful first visitLeahDined on 8/20/2014This was our first time here and it was wonderful. Our waiter was attentive and kind. We were only in for drinks and sat at a small table by the bar. I also appreciated when we were waiting to cash out a manager grabbed our check and cashed us out. (That's one thing I hate is being held up at a resturant when your trying to get out.) would defiantly recommend for dinner and wine or even just apps and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas all aroundTheComputerMedicVIPDined on 8/19/2014We had the meatballs (strangely, beef and pork as separate dishes), gnocchi, burrata, polenta, arancini, and calamari. The polenta with truffle oil was creamy and the real highlight. We would come back for that and try some other dishes. However, the meatballs were good but not special or unique or impressive, just "meatballs." The arancini were good but uninspired. The calamari was like that found at any bar, again nothing special. We will try again.Special Features:
- Always a great meal.NewcomerVIPDined on 8/16/2014We go to Il Casale often and are never disappointed. The food is excellent and the service is fantastic. The only drawback is, because of it's popularity, sometimes it's hard to get a reservation. Recommend very highly.Special Features:
- Good food, slow serviceCambridgeMomDined on 8/12/2014We arrived for our 6:30 reservation and ordered cocktails right away. Then we placed our order about 15 minutes later. We shared 3 small plates, ordered salads, and shared a large pasta (primi) dish. The small plates came out right away. The mozzarella and the tuna crudo were delicious. The arancini balls were a little on the dry side. Then we waited for 30 minutes for our salads to come out, and another 15-20 minutes after that for our pasta. I'm really not sure why the salads and the pasta took so long to get out as they were not complicated dishes. We were there on a random Tuesday night and did not expect the service to be so slow. The food is good, but be prepared for a 3 hour meal.Special Features:
- disappointedrosieDined on 8/11/2014We shared small dishes - the calamari was all breading and tasteless, the arancini was good, not great, the bean/kale side dish was over salted, the greens were ok, the pasta with shrimp and lemon bread crumb was the best part of the meal - quite delicious. The service was painfully slow - they came back 3 times to ask if we wanted more bread. Hungry, we said yes and filled up on a lot of bread. A disappointing experience in general.Special Features:
- Wonderful consistent restaurantmainelyfoodDined on 8/10/2014This was probably my 5th visit. Always lovely choices, everything is well prepared, the ambiance is warm and the prices aren't bad. Nice wines, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food close to homeEAKAZANVIPDined on 8/9/2014The great food is the reason to come, having Fabrizio as your waiter makes the evening all the better! Find a parking space right in front...almost better than the dessert. A hot spot that transcends all age groups and occasions from birthdays and weeding anniversaries to just a night out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much improvedSheenabeaDined on 8/1/2014I first came to Il Casale 2 weeks after they first opened ever. I loved the atmosphere and the food was delicious, however, they were still working out the service kinks. We went for my husband's birthday for the first time since then and they did not disappoint! Food was excellent and service was fantastic! I will say, the restaurant is very loud. I think it may just be the way the place is, but, it was very hard to have a conversation while we ate because we could barely hear each other. Our reservation was at 6:30pm. but they sat us as soon as we arrived at 6:05pm.Special Features:
- FOOD AND SERVICEMelbaVIPDined on 7/26/2014everything about this place yells quality! great food, service spot on cant say anything bad about it at allSpecial Features:
- Il CasalememeDined on 7/23/2014Lovely dinner. Best part (for me) of Il Casale is that they have options for smaller portions. This is great for someone with a smaller appetite, or those who want to try several small dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatticakeDined on 7/17/2014I had the snapper special and it was excellent, with a beautiful risotto. My husband had the veal scalloping and found it oily. But we enjoyed seeing how a firehouse was turned into a very. Successful restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinner at Il Casalefoodandservice2Dined on 7/12/2014We have been celebrating our anniversary at Il Casale in Belmont, MA ever since it has opened there a few years ago. We went again this year, and had a wonderful experience yet again. We love to eat al fresco, and the restaurant has a wonderful outdoor area. It reminds us of dining in Italy, to be quite honest. There were three of us, since our son had joined us, and we ordered a myriad of different foods, a fine bottle of wine, and a great desert to top it all off. The food was absolutely delicious, and the portions perfect. The service was beyond wonderful, which added so much to our special day. Needless to say we are going back again for our next anniversary as well as in between. We all highly recommend Il Casale in Belmont, MA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All looks no substanceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/7/2014A pretty restaurant but the food doesn’t stand up. Lack of flavor hid behind loads of salt. The pasta with the lemon and breadcrumbs was so salty my mouth was burning. The tuna crudo appetizer was just strange. It was warmish tuna served on a bean puree. Did not go together. The arancini was masked with a weird tomato flavor. I have to say the burrata was delicious. The panna cotta dessert was made in plastic cups and turned out so that you could still see the ribbing. A total turn off yet the accompanying strawberries were delicious. Would not recommend. Will not return.Special Features:
- Good but Just MissesDavidVIPDined on 7/5/2014Everything was good, but could have been a bit better. If you know that two people are sharing a sfizi, why put three on the plate? Either make them smaller and put four on the plate, or make them larger and put two on the plate. Also, while we asked for everything to come out at once, the server might have reminded us that the calamari should be eaten first while they are still hot. The cold calamari were not very good. Plate clearing was a little slow. Table arrangement not quite suitable for me to check the "romantic" box.Special Features:
- Trying To Re-Love Il Casale AgaintecrunnerVIPDined on 7/4/2014We fell in love with Il Casale when it opened in Belmont, and have dined there many times, including many special family and couples occasions. We've always loved the fact that they were open on many hard to schedule days (Christmas Eve, holidays). The food, wine list, all great, reasonably priced, and a wonderful room to boot. Recently, I took a work group there, and the experience came off the rails; B team service, cold entrees and coffee, disappearing wait staff, no water refills throughout dinner. This in a 1/2 full room. Noting our disappointment on our check, one of the owners came to apologize and gave us his card. My wife and I returned last night and were rushed through dinner in under an hour. Great food, bums rush service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ExperienceNewcomerVIPDined on 7/4/2014The only complaint I have of Il Casale is that it's difficult to get a reservation, so when I got one, it was everything I expected. The food was delicious from appetizers to desert. Our waiter was wonderful, along with the other wait staff, who were always around if you needed anything. The ambiance was relaxed and comfortable. Thank you Il Casale for a wonderful dinner. I hope I'm able to get another reservation soon!Special Features:
- Summer ExperienceGoldieDined on 7/2/2014Il Casale has a good menu with interesting use of herbs and spices on well prepared entrees. Using seasonal vegetables makes a meal pleasurable each season of the year. The restaurant is in an old fire station with solid brick walls. Because of this, unfortunately, the noise level is quite high detracting from the attention to ones companion and the dining experience a a whole. For this reason my companion and I go only to the restaurant during the summer when it is possible to sit outside. That is a very nice experience in itself. On a pleasant summer evening it is enjoyable watching the people pass by and enjoy the evening breezes without the noise of loud voices in the background.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and outdoor seatingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/27/2014We sat outside and had the Chef's family special. The outdoor seating is wonderful if the weather is good. For the family special, you don't have any choices but get a special selection of what is available that evening. Everything was excellent with only 2 minor quibbles. One is that we both got the same pasta while for other courses, the two of us got something different. The second is the scourge of almost all restaurants these days, namely that with multiple courses the portions were too large. Even with choosing the smaller of the two options, we went home with 3 take-out containers.Special Features:
- Expensive but mediocrejsachsDined on 6/25/2014Went here for the first time for a special occasion and were disappointed after all the good reviews. Parts of our entrees were nicely prepared, but other parts were tasteless or off. The chicory tasted nothing like chicory in Italy. Wine was very nice. For a meal at this price the value was terrible.
- Love it! & love LexingtonLoveGreatFoodDined on 6/24/2014Great burrata, nice housemade pasta. Food, ambience, service is superb - although I'm partial to the Southern Italian cuisine served at it's sister restaurant in Lexington. Love having both optionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take your time here!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/23/2014Terrific food and very good service - plan to take your time to savor the food and atmosphere here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3/4 thereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/22/2014Everything was great until our main course arrived. The wait staff which had been very attentive, virtually disappeared. Our waiter never checked on our meals (both my wife's and my entree were overcooked) in fact we could not get anyone's attention until we were asked if we wanted dessert. What started out as a positive experience, ended as very blah. We will try again, but expectations are now not so high.
- Anoter fine experince at Il CasalePaulVIPDined on 6/20/2014Staff was very accommodating, first accommodating request for Outdoor table, then okay with switching us to originally requested window table, as party thought it might be too cold outside. Food was great, suggested pork meatballs were a great recommendation, the Aged Manhattan was a great cocktail, and the half portions of pasta are great for keeping meals to a reasonable amount of food.Special Features:
- Nice little Italian placerselisDined on 6/15/2014I had arancini to start; perfect! Soft and cheesy on the inside and a perfect crispy crust on the outside. Then had gnocchi; light and fluffy. Finally, scaloppini with black truffle. I love truffles but maybe there were a little too much.... I was 'truffled out'. 2 people; 2 apps., 2 small pasta plates, 2 mains, 2 glasses wine and 1 dessert = 125$Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.