888 Main St.
Waltham, MA 02453Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ilcapricciowaltham.com/
- Phone: 7818942234
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Richard Barron
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Il Capriccio offers a number of options for small private parties. We have a downstairs room that seats up to 10 guests, a back room that seats up to 12 guests and a front room that accommodates up to 30 guests. We normally reserve private parties on weekday evenings only.
- Private Party Contact: Nahatai Harris 7818942234
- Cross Street: Prospect St.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Il Capriccio shares a parking lot with Gordon's Wine & Liquors. If that lot is full you may park in the Hannaford Supermarket Lot on the side adjacent to the Bank of America. Please do not park in the Bank of America parking lot. You will be towed.
A word from Il Capriccio
Il Capriccio serves a constantly changing Northern Italian menu featuring local products with an award winning Italian wine and Grappa list. Though long considered a local secret, Il Capriccio has been the number one Northern Italian restaurant in Zagat's for the past seven years. The wine list has been featured in Decanter, Sante, Wine & Spirits and Stuff. The same menu is served in the Bar. We like to serve great food and great wine in a comfortable setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Il Capriccio - Best Restaurants in Waltham ›
Il Capriccio reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (116)fit for foodies (93)notable wine list (86)neighborhood gem (73)romantic (63)good for groups (25)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Awesome Dinner!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Food and service were amazing! We had a wonderful first time experience. I would order everything I got again. Great atmosphere and all of the staff was very knowledgable and personable.Special Features:
- Oppi328VIPDined on 8/14/2014Il Capriccio is an outstanding restaurant! I had the tuna tartare appetizer and the ribeye steak with vegetables and white beans.it was scrumptious! My husband ordered a delicious caprese salad and a veal loin entree. He enjoyed both. We highly recommend this restaurant! They just redecorated, too. It looks cool and fresh.Special Features:
- Outstanding CuisineManjiDined on 8/14/2014The food was outstanding. We have dined at fine restaurants all over the world and il Cappriccio is as good as the vey best.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014A gem of a restaurant! Outstanding food, wine selection and service!Special Features:
- Fabulous findTexanatheart5Dined on 8/2/2014Fantastic menu and service was great. They were extremely accommodating, and the staff was warm and friendly. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ParisDined on 8/1/2014wonderful food, lovely presentation, always meets the highest expectationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as Always!ProudMommaDined on 7/26/2014We had a wonderful time at Il Capriccio. They were very accomodating to the fact we brought our 3-year old toddler along and the service was fast and attentive. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!eclecticfoodyDined on 7/25/2014A wonderful experience! A great Italian wine selection. The stuffed zucchini blossoms were outstanding, the striped bass and veal were perfect! A nice quiet adult environment! The server was very attentive and the drinks and meals were very timely. A real gem. It was our first visit and we are sure to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatsupercatDined on 7/22/2014Without being too adventurous, Il cappricio always delivers a great meal. The mushroom souffle is worth a try, the zucchini blossom and riccotta is excellent as well. The veal is superb. Go for dessert ...never disappoints. Fabulous wine selection.Special Features:
- never missesinthebusinessDined on 7/21/2014This is consistently the best restaurant in the metro west area. The octopus salad with celery was simple yet perfect, which pretty much sums up the entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014We had dinner Saturday evening at Il Capriccio. This was a wonderful dining experience the food was excellent. We had the Zucchini flower appetizer which, if this were a drug, I would need rehab. It was outstanding, as was the main course and dessert. Service was excellent, attentive but not overly so. Martini was also outstanding. Ambience is excellent also temperature was comfortable. Often you walk into restaurants and you are blasted with air conditioning. Not so here, comfortable not cold! A true gem and worth the trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place, again and again!jtw5595Dined on 7/19/2014This was our third trip to Il Capriccio and once again, we were not disappointed! The food is outstanding. We started with appetizers of mussels in a white wine sauce. These were sweet, fresh and there were just enough to satisfy us. Then we enjoyed ricotta stuffed zucchini blossoms. These were lightly fried and drizzled with honey. I haven't stopped thinking about them since! For dinner, my husband ordered swordfish and I had the chicken Milanese. Both dishes were done to perfection! I highly recommend Il Capriccio for a lovely dinner for two, or if you're with a larger party, they have some smaller, closed-off rooms that keep it cozy for your group. Great service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well prepared and presentedKenoodleDined on 7/19/2014The relatively tightly packed room was very loud, but because of the open ceiling architecture and padded table cloths, there was no wincing at sharp nerve-shattering sounds like at The Cheesecake Factory and others. My fish and her pasta dishes were perfectly prepared and beautifully presented. Service was a bit "rough" on the edges by what looked like the only young male waiter that night.Special Features:
- Didn't live up to the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/19/2014After reading rave reviews, we decided to try it. The appetizers were actually excellent (zucchini blossoms and gnocchi). The dinners were over cooked. Taking a bite out of the duck breast was like eating sand, very, very dry. Unfortunately, the pork was the same. We were so disappointed with the lack of service and terrible dinner, we didn't order dessert.
- Oppi328VIPDined on 7/18/2014Il Capriccio is one of our favorite restaurants! For appetizers, I had the chilled cucumber yogurt soup with lobster, and my husband had the boar sausage ravioli. For entrees, I had the absolutely scrumptious rib eye steak with white beans and fresh green vegetables. ( broccoli, green beans, and asparagus). My husband had the pork chop with fresh vegetables. The service was fabulous as usual! We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Losing it's lustercitichicVIPDined on 7/18/2014This used to be a 'fit for foodies' place. Now, not so much. The service was sluggish, and though polite (nothing is worse than the waitstaff feeling they can interrupt a diner's conversation!!), they didn't anticipate our needs, like refilling water or asking if we wanted more wine. The food was quite good, but it used to feel very special here, and now they are resting on their laurels.Special Features:
- We always enjoysavoryeaterVIPDined on 7/18/2014We took out-of-town guests here and they loved it. The restaurant feels quiet and intimate. The service is excellent but unobtrusive. And, most important, the food continues to be excellent, inventive without being overly elaborate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oldie but goodieOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/15/2014It's refreshing to see a restaurant that has excelled for so many years. The food remains outstanding. A treasure in the Western suburbs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific itialian wine listjerryjVIPDined on 7/11/2014Il Capriccio has consistently excellent food and consistently excellent service. We have been there many times and never leave disappointed. Their selection and pricing of fine Italian wines (Barolo, Barberesco, Super Tuscan etc.) is truly outstanding. There are many properly aged selections at very reasonable prices for this level of quality (something that I rarely find at top restaurants). Wine staff (Jason) knows his stuff and is very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/2/2014Outstanding food beautifully presented; pleasant and quiet atmosphere because the restaurant is divided into multiple rooms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saying Good ByeKatsmanDined on 7/1/2014Exceptional, across the board....All of the food was outstanding, some of the best any of the four eating had EVER HAD.....enough said.Special Features:
- lunchclientDined on 6/30/2014We have enjoyed Il Capriccio for over 30 years,and this special occasion dinner did not disappoint! Zucchini blossom appetizer was superb.Special Features:
- luv2dineDined on 6/27/2014The owner is a hands-on chef. Everything we had was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oppi328VIPDined on 6/25/2014Il Capriccio is one of the best restaurants in the Boston area! We love the food and the service! For appetizers, we had the grilled calamari, the burrata salad with peaches and figs, the octopus, and the chilled yogurt soup with cucumber and lobster. All were outstanding. For entrees, we gad a rib eye steak with white beans and vegetables, veal cutlets with fresh vegetables, and soft shell crabs.all of our food was expertly prepared and presented. We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Always wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/25/2014Everything you could ask for in a great restaurant. A conscientious staff and kitchen that aim to please. Consistently excellent food passionately prepared. Great menu, plenty of choices, excellent fish. Entrees plated as a meal, just like home, with vegtable and starch, not a lonely piece of meat or fish on a plate as most other restaurants do. Wonderful wines knowledgeably presented and extensive cocktail offering. Comfortable setting. Service and courses paced to your speed making it a great spot for casual, business or special occasion dining. Always a wonderful dining experience. Convenient location, free parking. Our "go to" spot.Special Features:
- Okay but overpricedFineDine2013Dined on 6/25/2014My associate and I had dinner here last week to discuss business. We were seated at a corner table which was fine although the adjoining table was a bit noisy. The waiter took our drink order and gave us ample time to review the menu. We started out with appetizers - I had the steamed mussels - good with a nice broth. My associate had the antipasto which he thought was great. We each ordered the house pino grigio - okay but nothing special. Dinner consisted of swordfish for me and salmon for my friend. Mine was a bit dry but tasty. Again, not outstanding, just okay. My associate liked his dinner as well. Overall, it was a good dining experience although way overpriced for the quality. You can do better elsewhere.
- Outstanding dining experience!PlayLeftyCZDined on 6/23/2014The warm and welcoming greeting by Liz, who seated us at the perfect table for my friend's birthday dinner. The attentive and impeccable service provided by our very professional waiter Sean. The expertly prepared and delicious food. The cozy and comfortable ambience. Yes, everything about our dining experience was perfect! I highly recommend the porcini soufflé, potato gnocchi, fettucine Bolognese and the beets/greens/goat cheese salad. Next time I go I will definitely try one of the amazing seafood entrees but this evening we were in the mood for pasta done right - and it was oh so right! I don't want to give away any surprises but the subtle creative "birthday" touches were also wonderful! A+ at all levels!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for nothing specialBostonDined on 6/21/2014Il Capriccio is rated highly, which I cannot understand exactly. It is a decent restaurant, with decent food. I'm sure for those who live in Waltham, it is nice to have this restaurant as an option, but at the prices they charge for entrees, there is nothing neighborly about it. Their "signature" dish among Antipasti was Souffle di Porcini. It was rich and tasty, and using the soft bread (which was good quality) to wipe the plate clean was flavorful. The pasta and risotto dishes were predictable, nothing distinctive. Soft-shell crab, not bad. For $300+ (two drinks, two wines - four people), I expected more imagination and flavor. Convenient parking, ambience "cozy", but would not go back.Special Features:
- Great food, comfortable barOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2014I went to Il Capriccio a couple of weeks ago with my boyfriend to sit at the bar and grab a bite. The bar is always very comfortable and it's easy to find a spot during the week. The food never disappoints, even when we choose lighter options like their seasonal salads and appetizers. Overall, another great evening- but then again I expect nothing less!Special Features:
- Solid menu, expertly prepared mealsLuv2eatVIPDined on 6/17/2014Appetizers set the tone for the entire meal which was outstanding. Lobster gnocchi was excellent. Tuna tartar was solid. Main courses were very good also. No complaint from anyone from our group of 5. My duck was delicious and the halibut looked great. Not huge portions of mediocre food. Appropriate amount of very well prepared meals. I'll absolutely be back for another meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fathers' Day EvemangebeneDined on 6/14/2014Our family enjoyed a wonderful, special dinner the night before Fathers Day. The hostess, bartender, and server all had that blend of smooth professionalism and personable helpfulness that truly "make' a restaurant. The food was incredible. We tried the porcini soufflé, as recommended and were happily surprised to be given the recipe. The fish and duck were very fresh and beautifully accompanied. The only mild disappointment was the dessert fashioned after a s'more- a little bland and dry. This is a lovely restaurant The prices are fair, given the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday celebrationbostonbredDined on 6/13/2014Six friends dined last week to celebrate a birthday. Initially we were escorted to a round table, but concerned we might be a little loud, we asked if there were a more secluded table. We were led to my favorite room in the restaurant - the glass wall room toward the back. There was a table set for us and two smaller tables. Our server, Jan, was helpful, patient, and very knowledgeable. We had appetizers, soft shell crabs, osso buco, linguine and clams, and mussels. Shared desserts were profiteroles and molten chocolate cake. The food was exceptional! We never felt rushed and had a most enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Very nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014I brought my Dad on Friday evening. It was very nice. The food was great. A bit on the pricey side however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite gempooldirectorDined on 6/11/2014Always a special event. The food choices are always a surprise, beautifully prepared from seasonal selections. Top class wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LarryDined on 6/9/2014We have frequently enjoyed the Providence RI Capriccio's and wanted to give Waltham a try. Parking is somewhat limited. Service was impeccable. Porcini soufflé, one of the signature hors d'oeuvres was unbelievable! The wine was perfect and they have an extensive list of high quality wine available in half bottles. The chicken madeira was the best chicken dish I have ever had, ever. The lobster gnocci was disappointing . The lemon mouse was excellent and cover with lemon rind that really made this dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was recommended by another chefIknowfoodDined on 6/9/2014We were visiting the area and asked a chef in central Boston for Waltham recommendations and checked it against on-line ratings.This restaurant met all the requirements of a high end Italian [ or any ethnic] restaurant. The food was excellent and the service good. For people comfortable with American and French wines, but not familiar with Italian wines, the wine list is daunting and a more knowledgable person who could discuss the options would have been appreciated. But we were very satisfied with the wine selected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Birthday Dinnerblue74Dined on 6/7/2014Celebrated my best friend's birthday at Il Capriccio and really loved it. I had been there over 20 years ago and it still has it's same appeal; food, service, ambience, and thoughtfulness. The staff even made my friend's dessert a surprise. Area colleges like Bentley and Brandeis would have wonderful meals there with their daughters and sons!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2014Antipasti was better than the entrees and it was a bit overpriced. But all in all we had a good time.
- ConsistentagchocDined on 5/31/2014We've been going to Il Capriccio for more than a decade and we keep going back because it's consistently excellent. The Porcini Souffle (not really a souffle) is revelatory every time. We recently had an excellent octopus salad and the lamb osso buco perfectly captured the essence of both lamb and osso buco. The wines and wine-related advice are always good. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Truly outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014My wife and I returned for an anniversary celebration. Been coming every chance we get when in Boston area. We each ordered different apps, entrees and desserts. The creativity, presentation and flavors were all special as was the wine we selected. Service slowed due to the 8PM crowd, otherwise excellent.Special Features: