888 Main St.
Waltham, MA 02453Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ilcapricciowaltham.com/
- Phone: (781) 894-2234
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Richard Barron
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Il Capriccio offers a number of options for small private parties. We have a downstairs room that seats up to 10 guests, a back room that seats up to 12 guests and a front room that accommodates up to 30 guests. We normally reserve private parties on weekday evenings only.
- Private Party Contact: Nahatai Harris 7818942234
- Cross Street: Prospect St.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Il Capriccio shares a parking lot with Gordon's Wine & Liquors. If that lot is full you may park in the Hannaford Supermarket Lot on the side adjacent to the Bank of America. Please do not park in the Bank of America parking lot. You will be towed.
A word from Il Capriccio
Il Capriccio serves a constantly changing Northern Italian menu featuring local products with an award winning Italian wine and Grappa list. Though long considered a local secret, Il Capriccio has been the number one Northern Italian restaurant in Zagat's for the past seven years. The wine list has been featured in Decanter, Sante, Wine & Spirits and Stuff. The same menu is served in the Bar. We like to serve great food and great wine in a comfortable setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Il Capriccio - Best Restaurants in Waltham ›
Il Capriccio reviews from OpenTable diners
175 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (122)special occasion (115)notable wine list (96)neighborhood gem (92)romantic (61)good for groups (29)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Pretty close to perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/21/2014Great meal. Great Service. Incredibly knowledgeable wine staff. We had a discussion with the Sommelier about what we were eating and what sorts of wine we generally liked and she recommended a wine that had very recently arrived and was not yet on the list. It was perfect......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Completely SatisfiedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Excellent overall experience. Appropriately priced. Diverse menu, with food well prepared and quite tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JambolaVIPDined on 11/14/2014Unbelievable wine list with very fair prices. The service staff is top notch and the food unparalled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/11/2014Another great meal. The chef pays real attention to available ingredients, preparation is perfect and both the wine list and service are outstanding. We have been out of town frequently this fall and always relish an opportunity to dine here.Special Features:
- Fantastic Dinner!SuekayVIPDined on 11/8/2014The food at Il Capriccio is always cooked to perfection. Never disappointed with anything here! I had mussels and the grilled swordfish. Both were amazing. The Grilled Octopus appetizer is to die for! Highly recommend this gem of a restaurant! Service is terrific and everyone is so friendly and accommodating. To top it off, I left my Iphone on the table and the Hostess came running out with it as we were driving off. That is what I call, going to above and beyond!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good eveningSpinnerVIPDined on 11/8/2014We had a pretty good evening at Il Capriccio. We had not been there for several years, and the decor seemed better than last time. The food was nicely done. Overall, Il Capriccio is acceptable, but will not be one of the restaurants that we frequent. Maybe occasionally during the summer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigAlDined on 11/8/2014We hadn't been here for several years and were surprised to find it cozy with a buzz and still able to hear our dining companions. We loved the porcini souffle and the lasagna bolognese! And the pistachio semi-freddo. A highlight was Jason and a special bottle of wine not on the menu. To feel special on a special occasion, you can't miss with Il Capriccio. Our server was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2014Good meal. But a bit dissapointed, based on raving reviews I read. Nothing wrong, good food, nice ambiance, efficient service, just not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/4/2014Outstanding place... Amazing staff incredible food and a wine menu like you can't imagine. I would suggest to anyone going out for a special night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful MealDebbifromBostonVIPDined on 11/4/2014My meal was fantastic. I shared the calamari appetizer with my husband and highly recommend. A creative and delicious preparation. We also shared the pear salad. Another gem. I had the duck and it also was perfectly prepared. So good I regretted offering to share a few bites. The atmosphere and service made the dinner even more special. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special birthday celebrationWExGroupDined on 11/3/2014The dining experience was excellent from beginning to end.dSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The atmosphere was lovely, the service was impeccable, and the food was, for the most part, delicious and well-prepared. Excellent porcini souffle! My only criticism was that the vegetables accompanying the entree seemed like an afterthought, present because, well, you have to have vegetables. Bok choy seemed out of place on the plate with the lovely veal scallopini, and a few too-crunchy green beans scattered on the side added nothing. At this time of year some braised finocchio or broccoli rabe would have been superb. Lemon cream was excellent, with the special touch of candied lemon peel on top.Special Features:
- Wonderful--as usual.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/1/2014Dinner at Il Capriccio was, as always, delicious. I love that you can get half portions of pasta and risotto, since that means it's possible to have dessert if you aren't a big eater. The risotto with mushrooms and duck confit was great, and the half portion was just right. There are always many affordable wines, and the sommelier suggested a moderately priced wine that was delicious. The atmosphere after this summer's renovations is lovely--comfortable, elegant, but not pretentious. And the food, and friendly service, keep us coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Il CapprichioOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/1/2014I run a larger consulting company and eat out all over the country. Il Capprichio is my favorite restaurant and has been for so many years. The restaurant combines world class food with the feeling of a family restaurant. We happened to be there early and I listened to the head chef greeting everyone who came in, asking about their health and their families in such a warm way. I couldn't imagine enjoying a restaurant or a restaurant experience more.Special Features:
- Very Good...follow the AdviceLeFromagerVIPDined on 10/31/2014The best things were the signature dishes and they very good. The service was outstanding. The combination of the two is very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/31/2014We selected Il Capriccio as it a special place to go with excellent, fresh food, prepared well and with fine service. We were not disappointed. The four of us each raved about the excellent preparation and presentation of our four different entrees. The desserts were interesting and delicious.Special Features:
- RichardDined on 10/31/2014We had a beautiful evening last night. I have never gotten an answer why Open Table does not give points for expensive restaurants?Special Features:
- GreatinthebusinessDined on 10/30/2014The octopus with chick peas was the best I have ever had, duck perfect and the service attentive and professional, only negative is I can't get here enough.Special Features:
- docjeffVIPDined on 10/30/2014THe porcini soufflé remains sublime and decadent.
- just OK for the pricePar0Dined on 10/30/2014Great selection of wines and grappas. The food is OK and you are reminded of that when you see the bill, which is brought to you without even asking for it.
- Autumn at I'll CapricciotoobrewDined on 10/25/2014Started wit the Soufflé do Porcini which bus always great. This time the mushroom pieces were bigger than ever. We also had a wonderful nebbiolo wit our main courses of lamb osso bucco and duck confit risotto. Place never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeping it fresh!SuburbanjanVIPDined on 10/25/2014We love dining at Il Capriccio because the food and wine are always delectable and the service extraordinary. Saturday night was no exception. Yet the experience felt more special this time with the recent renovation. The updated look gives the restaurant a fresh, light ambiance with more comfortable seats and soothing paint tones. But the food continues to be the star. Chef Rich Barron is still on his game after all these years. Our appetizers of calamari fritters and grilled octopus started off a meal so fresh it could have just been plucked from the sea. I savored my linguine with shrimp. My husband said he's never had a better veal chop. We shared the classic lemon mousse with our friends. Cheers to a perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Never fails-- pure Italian Excellent food preparation, excellent ingredients Excellent service Excellent wine list and fair pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous dinner and ambiance!luv2cookDined on 10/25/2014Just ate with a group of 10 for a family gathering and a celebration of my daughter's first college parents' weekend. Food was yummy, wine was delicious and a fun time was had by all! Would clearly go again for our next special occasion.Special Features:
- DisappointedLyleDined on 10/25/2014Our first time back in a few years. The porcini souffle and lasagne tasted as though they had been frozen and reheated and had suffered as a result. The souffle was extremely heavy, greasy, very salty with far too much cheese. It bore no resemblance to a souffle. The lasagne was very bland and had very little sauce. We were really looking forward to the chocolate dessert and again were disappointed. We both ordered one and both of us thought they did not taste homemade.Special Features:
- Met High Expectations!RickVIPDined on 10/24/2014After reading extensive reviews, expectation level was set high and Il capriccio hit the mark. All items sampled (chicken, risotto, fish and veal) were inventively prepared with top quality ingredients and professional preparation. All dishes were as they should have been and when coupled with an extensive wine list (populated with an incredible selection of 'vini Piemontesi') and solid, well-informed wait staff - this is a winner! Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Best Italian in Boston!!BordeauxBuffVIPDined on 10/18/2014This is a hidden gem in the MetroWest burbs.....have been dining here for years....never disappointed. The menu and wine list are of constant innovation; never a dull moment, and the service is tops as well. If you're looking for a one of a kind Italian experience, skip the big city and head to the burbs for this gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent overall experience!CCMDDined on 10/17/2014My guest and I enjoyed a European dining experience. We hadn't seen each other in a long time and had a lot to talk about. They could tell so they left us alone. The waiter was very nice and offered good suggestions. I have some food sensitivities and was happy hear that the entrée I wanted had no garlic in it. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsjoanneDined on 10/15/2014This is my go-to place for after work dinners and dinner with "girlfriends". Service is efficient and knowledgeable, the food is great, and I love the variety of appetizers, small plates and mains.Special Features:
- The best restaurantSonnyVIPDined on 10/14/2014Il Capriccio is the best restaurant in the Boston area. It is a gem. Richard is the best chef in Boston and one of the most creative.Special Features:
- Il Capriccio was superbBillADined on 10/13/2014I had dear friends from abroad to entertain and wanted an upscale restaurant that would impress them (they are very cosmopolitan) and have an ambiance suitable for a conversation. Our evening at Il Capriccio was terrific. Each of the four of us had seafood appetizers and entrees. The former included tuna tartare, mussels, calamari and gravlax, while the latter included swordfish, trout, a cod dish, and a lobster/pasta dish. We ended up sharing everything and all enjoyed each dish. We were so full that we shared two desserts - a lemon mousse and an apple pastry with ice cream - also both delicious. Service was very attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:
- Gourmet ItalianSlingerlandsFoodieDined on 10/11/2014We have been dining at Il Capriccio off and on since it opened decades ago. We last ate there on a trip to Boston (we live in Upstate New York) on Columbus Day weekend. The food is spectacular and reliably consistent. It would be hard to find a more comprehensive wine list. And, the sommelier, Jason, is expert at matching wine with food selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodbostondiner123Dined on 10/11/2014This was one of the best meals we have ever had, the food was phenomenal. The decor seemed a little dated, but the food more than made up for it. Great service as well, we had a great dinner.Special Features:
- Great experienceBillDined on 10/6/2014This is a great restaurant with great food, service and atmosphere. I brought my cousins here from out of town and they absolutely loved everything about the place. You will not be disappointed, if you choose to visit this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive, delicious foodKensBarbieDined on 10/4/2014We were staying in Waltham while on college visits with our son. We tried Il Capriccio based on TripAdvisor ratings. No wonder it is at the top of the list! Everything our party ordered was absolutely delicious, in particular the Porcini mushroom souffle (to die for!), the duck confit risotto and the figs wrapped in speck. Our only regret was that we were too full to order dessert. Excellent service as well. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular dinner!bader929Dined on 10/3/2014I took my boyfriend out for his birthday dinner here with a small group of friends. Everything was spectacular. They sprinkled happy birthday confetti on the table- festive and fun. Sommelier was incredibly knowledgeable about the wines, & we chose a wonderful red, which is a new favorite. Everyone's dinner was perfect. I ordered the chicken snitzel - very tasty breadcrumb that was crunchy on the outside, juicy chicken on the inside. My boyfriend ordered the lamb osso bucco which was perfect. They brought a sinfully delicious chocolate cake for the birthday boy, with happy birthday and artwork made out of chocolate. Gorgeous! I can't say enough good things about the service!Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/3/2014We went back to Il Capriccio and enjoyed the great service & food. The risotto was delicious, as was the lamb osso bucco, figs with gorgonzola & prosciutto, pasta w fresh tomato, garlic, & shrimp, & salads. The staff remembered us and teased us about "bumping up" to the main restaurant as we often prefer the less formal bar area, where the same menu is served. Excellent wine by the glass, strong coffee w/ biscotti...we were glad to be back.Special Features:
- Another great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2014I came back into town and couldn't wait to make a reservation at one of my favorite restaurants outside of the city. My partner and I shared the tuna tartare with avocado and the lasagna bolognese to start. The tuna tartare was innovative and the home made chips were delicious. The lasagna was a very generous portion and may go down as the best lasagna I've ever had. My partner had the osso bucco and could not stop raving about how tender it was and how well the sauce enhanced the flavors of the dish. I had the classic chicken "shinitzel" and I too found my dish to be incredible. The warm apple crostata is a must try as well. As always, Il Capriccio didn't disappoint and will always be one of my favorite places to dine in the Boston area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialDarkAngelDined on 9/27/2014We had a wonderful quiet corner table where we could dine and converse. We did not feel boxed in.Special Features:
- Quality all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/25/2014Il Capriccio served excellent food using fresh, quality ingredients and masterful execution. Service was excellent; professional and personable. I look forward to returning for another great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.