Il Capriccio - NJ
633 Route 10 East
Whippany, NJ 07981Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Il Capriccio - NJ
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ilcapriccio.com/
- Phone: (973) 884-9175
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Antonio & Natale Grande
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We are able to accommodate large parties from 35 to 100 guests during the week, in either private or semi private rooms (Saturdays Large parties for lunch only). Please call for further details.
- Private Party Contact: Salvatore LeRose 9738849176
- Entertainment: Live Piano Wednesday – Saturday.
Live Jazz trio every 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month.
- Special Events: Private & group cooking lessons are available with executive chef, Antonio Grande upon request. Please call for information.
A word from Il Capriccio - NJ
The whole experience is paramount, when you dine at Il Capriccio, you feel right at home. Fresh flowers, gentile romantic lighting, chairs you can sink into and live pianists make for an unforgettable dining experience. Knowledgeable and attentive staff further compliment the impeccably prepared fair and carefully selected wines from all over the world. Enjoy Il Capriccio's most recent addition, (weather permitting) the Tuscan inspired courtyard thatseats up to 35 guests and makes for a truly "Al Fresco" dining experience.Continued
The dress code is Elegant Casual, as jackets are preferred for gentlemen but not required.
The dress code is Elegant Casual, as jackets are preferred for gentlemen but not required.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Il Capriccio - NJ - Best Restaurants in Whippany ›
Il Capriccio - NJ reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (50)romantic (38)fit for foodies (34)notable wine list (29)good for groups (11)neighborhood gem (10)great for lunch (6)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- ImpeccableSteveDVIPDined on 11/20/2014We have been to Il Capriccio several times and we have NEVER been disappointed in any aspect of the evening. The warmth of the staff, their attentiveness, the quality and flavor of the food, the atmosphere - they are all memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant with wonder food.CaralinaDined on 11/19/2014i used to frequent restaurant when I was working and had the pleasure of taking customers to lunch and dinner. I had not been to the restaurant for several years and was pleased to see it was just as good, if not better. I always enjoyed dinning at Il Capriccio and will be back again soon. Five star food, and service, wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IlixDined on 11/17/2014Outstanding for a special evening, event or holiday dining. Outstanding selection on the dinner menu as well a wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Fine food but expensive. Small portions. Excellent atmosphere. Good for occasionsSpecial Features:
- HartOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Went to celebrate a friends birthday. Was a very special evening. The service was excellent, attentive but plenty of time . Completely relaxed dining experience. Food was very good. Menu had a nice variety. A very enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TonyDined on 11/4/2014Il Capriccio is a true gem. The food is outstanding and the service is impeccable. We went on a Tuesday this time, so there was no piano player, but it was still a truly great experience.Special Features:
- Fancy!ajubjubDined on 11/3/2014Beautiful fancy dinner with plenty of fancy silverware. Definitely a glamorous affair with plenty of good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- njpeteDined on 11/1/2014My first time at Il Capriccio. Heard many good things about it. I was not disappointed. Excellent food and service. Great for a special night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014The wait staff was very attentive but neglected to sweep crumbs from the table. The bread, although nicely wrapped in a napkin, was not heated. Also disappointed to find you were out of biscotti. I mentioned that both my husband and I were celebrating our birthdays when making our reservation, but nothing came of that.
- Always PleasingLogisticianVIPDined on 10/18/2014Il Capriccio NEVER fails to please. This in a simple fact Tony benevolently oversees the establishment to ensure that the dining experience is always top of the line and never misses the mark. The food and service is excellent. The staff takes pride in their work and it shows in their demeanor. Salvatore will assist is selecting the perfect wine to accompany your meal, your taste, and your price range. This is the perfect place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- Lovely birthday dinnerFoureyesVIPDined on 10/17/2014The service was outstanding. My husband enjoyed his dinner immensely. I ordered the risotto which was more like rice pilaf. The portion sizes were very good. Evidently this is the place to go in Whippany, if one is celebrating a birthday. There were five the evening we were there. Yes, we can recommend Il Capriccio and will probably return.Special Features:
- Wonderful nightSpecialniteDined on 10/16/2014We went for our Anniversary and what a lovely experience. The staff was very attentive and the food was out of this world! It was a very special night for our very special occasion. We shared the "flying meatballs" and boy were they good. This was followed by a crisp salad with walnuts and goat cheese that we loved. For the main course, I had a pasta with shrimp and my husband had chicken with a glaze on it that melted in his mouth. Then we just had to have dessert. I had the tirimisu and he had coconut ice cream. Never heard of that but it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine diningJulanDined on 10/16/2014It's hard to find a fine dining experience Nice. This is it. The wait staff are really good. The food is wonderful. All in all, a true dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Top 25 Restaurants in NJSterikson2000VIPDined on 10/11/2014Il Capriccio is one of the best 25 restaurants in NJ. Great food and Service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High expectations met.MidamaskDined on 10/1/2014Business dinner for 3. Service was professional. Food was outstanding; portion size, presentation, taste/quality all perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Had a special birthday dinner and it was really wonderful. The service was outstanding. Extremely attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentBrucoVIPDined on 9/23/2014Although we have been to Il Capriccio many times for dinner, we've never been there for lunch. I am pleased to report that it is every bit as wonderful a place to dine for either meal. The service is excellent, and the changing menu always has something for every palate. The acoustics are perfect, so, while one can hear background sounds, one can't hear conversations at other tables. The homemade pastas are exemplary, and the selection of entrees makes it difficult to choose just one. Even the bread is difficult to resist. A must if you haven't been, and a a place to return to if you have. The owner has just started a take-out/catering establishment, THE FLYING MEATBALLS, about one mile east on Rte. 10. Yummy and beyond!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & serviceSteveDined on 9/17/2014We had a thoroughly enjoyable dinner. The food was excellently prepared, large portions and beautifully presented. Service was excellent. Room was a bit noisy but beautifully decorated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- globaltravelerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/15/2014The presentation of the food and the taste were amazing! The service was excellent, too. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- You Cannot MissLogisticianVIPDined on 9/5/2014Once again, we are welcomed as members of the family. and treated warmly as soon as we enter. The service seems to continually improve as does the quality of the food. For a perfect night out whether it be for a special treat, or simply a dinner for no reason, THIS is the place to come to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014Waiter service was attentive and friendly. Host and bar were also friendly and attentuve.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/13/2014Did not go in. We did not know you could not wear shorts at lunch time. I was not wearing a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops. I had a colored dress polar shirt, dress kaki shorts and styled sandals.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/1/2014Pretty setting plus light piano tunes....professional service...interesting menu...everything we ordered was nicely presented and tasty...wine service good...on the expensive side...Unfortunately the table next to us had an infant and a toddler [noisy]which we didn't find appropriate & is why we gave a lower rating to ambiance.Special Features:
- love this placeTriMomDined on 7/30/2014I have been coming here for the last few years and the food is always terrific as well as great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmetVIPDined on 7/29/2014One complaint - very small pours on wine. When the glasses are so expensive you would expect the small carafe it comes in to be full - ours was 2/3 fullSpecial Features:
- The following 248 reviews are from the Il Capriccio - NJ reviews archive.
- A+RichieP1Dined on 7/25/2014Il Capriccio's staff, food and romantic atmosphere offers an evening filled with the vibes of Italy. A+ RichardSpecial Features:
- PennyDined on 7/23/2014Service and food were impeccable! A little on the expensive side but well worth it! My boss picked up the tab! LOL!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in NJ!!SlinkyPinkDined on 7/19/2014Top notch dining experience!! The food was fantastic (especially the bread). Our server was excellent. I'm so glad we celebrated a special birthday here!!!Special Features:
- FishVIPDined on 7/17/2014Excellent food in a magnificent environment . Impeccable service.Special Features:
- ON THE TOP OF THE N.J. BEST LISTRudyVIPDined on 7/17/2014From the minute you walk into Il Capriccio you are treated as a special guest in their house. The Maitre'D.-Sal is "the Man!" and the Wait Staff are all cordial and at your beckoned call. The most difficult part of an Il Capriccio experience is choosing your food from the array of specials and standard menu items. The salads are plentiful and delicious and dressed to perfection. My favorite entree is the Chilean Sea Bass, whether for lunch or dinner it is prepared and tastes amazing. But on your visit you can't go wrong with any of the many entree choices. Save room for Cappuccino and sumptuous desserts and as extra added treat a plate of biscotti. Enjoy!!Special Features:
- will keep going backraygunVIPDined on 7/16/2014We have been to Il Capriccio over 100 times over the last 5 years. It rarely dips below outstanding. The food and atmosphere are great. I have said this before in an earlier review but I have to mention again their main pianist Mark who has the most outstanding repertoire of any lounge/restaurant pianist I have ever heard. Over our many visits, he has become a friend. This last visit we were treated to all of our favorite songs (which he recalls and plays for us) but we got a Led Zeppelin medley. He is the most adventurous restaurant pianist I have ever heard. But that's hardly the point. Come check out the food, service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestLiketoeatDined on 7/15/2014Have been going here for years and still is outstanding place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experience.CantwaittoreturnDined on 7/11/2014We had a wonderful lunch at Il Capriccio. The service was truly outstanding and the wait staff was attentive without smothering you. The appetizer selection was excellent and next time we will just order them. Our entrees were good but paled in comparison to the appetizers we had. It was a $200 lunch but it was our anniversary and totally worth it. I can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Te 2nd time around.........OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/3/2014We arrived one evening when the electrical power had just been interrupted by a summer storm. The hosts were so apologetic and gracious that we returned a few nights later for dinner. Pretty room, excellent, warm & gracious service. Very good cuisine. Wines on the high side. Pianist for background music. Very pleasant evening.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!SuzyCreamCheeseDined on 7/1/2014Food is always consistent. Great variety of specials. Staff is professional and knowledgeable on recommendations for food and wine paring. Bravo Il Capriccio!! you've done a fantastic job once again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014This restaurant is expensive but worth it for a special evening. It was my fiftieth birthday and the staff was attentive to all of our needs. The piano player added ambiance to the already beautiful setting. The staff could not have been more helpful or attentive, and the meal was superb.Special Features:
- Great appetizers...Food4thoughtDined on 6/23/2014The apps were the best. Prosciutto with figs and gorgonzola. Awesome! But the main courses left a lot to be desired. We had the veal milanese, which seemed like veal francaise, and the roasted chicken, which had too much rosemary. The dessert was a raspberry crumb cobbler because they were out of apple - strange...not a lot of people there, so why would they be out? The dessert was good, but the apps were amazing. Not sure we'll go back but, if we do, we'll have apps and dessert.
- Great for special occasionsJoe12Dined on 6/20/2014Went here for dinner and was more than surprised. It was great food service and the setting was niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joyous dinnerWilliamDined on 5/30/2014Went for my birthday on Friday night. Had not been here in years. Alex was our waiter. A real professional. Service was great. Had the pasta bolognese for appetizer. Make my own, this was sublime. Rich tasting with perfectly cooked noodles. Our main courses were veal osso buco, melts in your mouth, and Bronzino , one of my favorites fishes. Understated deliciousness. Going back this Tuesday for a business meeting and Friday with friends. Love itSpecial Features:
- kathysDined on 5/24/2014Our server Louie was very informative since this was our first time going there. I would highly recommend. Enjoyed everything!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.