Il Capriccio - NJ
633 Route 10 East
Whippany, NJ 07981Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Il Capriccio - NJ
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ilcapriccio.com/
- Phone: 9738849175
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Antonio & Natale Grande
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We are able to accommodate large parties from 35 to 100 guests during the week, in either private or semi private rooms (Saturdays Large parties for lunch only). Please call for further details.
- Private Party Contact: Salvatore LeRose 9738849176
- Entertainment: Live Piano Wednesday – Saturday.
Live Jazz trio every 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month.
- Special Events: Private & group cooking lessons are available with executive chef, Antonio Grande upon request. Please call for information.
A word from Il Capriccio - NJ
The whole experience is paramount, when you dine at Il Capriccio, you feel right at home. Fresh flowers, gentile romantic lighting, chairs you can sink into and live pianists make for an unforgettable dining experience. Knowledgeable and attentive staff further compliment the impeccably prepared fair and carefully selected wines from all over the world. Enjoy Il Capriccio's most recent addition, (weather permitting) the Tuscan inspired courtyard thatseats up to 35 guests and makes for a truly "Al Fresco" dining experience.Continued
The dress code is Elegant Casual, as jackets are preferred for gentlemen but not required.
The dress code is Elegant Casual, as jackets are preferred for gentlemen but not required.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Il Capriccio - NJ - Best Restaurants in Whippany ›
Il Capriccio - NJ reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (44)romantic (37)fit for foodies (29)notable wine list (24)neighborhood gem (17)good for groups (12)great for lunch (6)great for outdoor dining (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014We had a thoroughly enjoyable dinner. The food was excellently prepared, large portions and beautifully presented. Service was excellent. Room was a bit noisy but beautifully decorated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- globaltravelerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/15/2014The presentation of the food and the taste were amazing! The service was excellent, too. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- You Cannot MissLogisticianVIPDined on 9/5/2014Once again, we are welcomed as members of the family. and treated warmly as soon as we enter. The service seems to continually improve as does the quality of the food. For a perfect night out whether it be for a special treat, or simply a dinner for no reason, THIS is the place to come to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014Waiter service was attentive and friendly. Host and bar were also friendly and attentuve.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/13/2014Did not go in. We did not know you could not wear shorts at lunch time. I was not wearing a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops. I had a colored dress polar shirt, dress kaki shorts and styled sandals.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/1/2014Pretty setting plus light piano tunes....professional service...interesting menu...everything we ordered was nicely presented and tasty...wine service good...on the expensive side...Unfortunately the table next to us had an infant and a toddler [noisy]which we didn't find appropriate & is why we gave a lower rating to ambiance.Special Features:
- love this placeTriMomDined on 7/30/2014I have been coming here for the last few years and the food is always terrific as well as great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmetVIPDined on 7/29/2014One complaint - very small pours on wine. When the glasses are so expensive you would expect the small carafe it comes in to be full - ours was 2/3 fullSpecial Features:
- A+RichieP1Dined on 7/25/2014Il Capriccio's staff, food and romantic atmosphere offers an evening filled with the vibes of Italy. A+ RichardSpecial Features:
- PennyDined on 7/23/2014Service and food were impeccable! A little on the expensive side but well worth it! My boss picked up the tab! LOL!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in NJ!!SlinkyPinkDined on 7/19/2014Top notch dining experience!! The food was fantastic (especially the bread). Our server was excellent. I'm so glad we celebrated a special birthday here!!!Special Features:
- FishVIPDined on 7/17/2014Excellent food in a magnificent environment . Impeccable service.Special Features:
- ON THE TOP OF THE N.J. BEST LISTRudyVIPDined on 7/17/2014From the minute you walk into Il Capriccio you are treated as a special guest in their house. The Maitre'D.-Sal is "the Man!" and the Wait Staff are all cordial and at your beckoned call. The most difficult part of an Il Capriccio experience is choosing your food from the array of specials and standard menu items. The salads are plentiful and delicious and dressed to perfection. My favorite entree is the Chilean Sea Bass, whether for lunch or dinner it is prepared and tastes amazing. But on your visit you can't go wrong with any of the many entree choices. Save room for Cappuccino and sumptuous desserts and as extra added treat a plate of biscotti. Enjoy!!Special Features:
- will keep going backraygunVIPDined on 7/16/2014We have been to Il Capriccio over 100 times over the last 5 years. It rarely dips below outstanding. The food and atmosphere are great. I have said this before in an earlier review but I have to mention again their main pianist Mark who has the most outstanding repertoire of any lounge/restaurant pianist I have ever heard. Over our many visits, he has become a friend. This last visit we were treated to all of our favorite songs (which he recalls and plays for us) but we got a Led Zeppelin medley. He is the most adventurous restaurant pianist I have ever heard. But that's hardly the point. Come check out the food, service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestLiketoeatDined on 7/15/2014Have been going here for years and still is outstanding place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experience.CantwaittoreturnDined on 7/11/2014We had a wonderful lunch at Il Capriccio. The service was truly outstanding and the wait staff was attentive without smothering you. The appetizer selection was excellent and next time we will just order them. Our entrees were good but paled in comparison to the appetizers we had. It was a $200 lunch but it was our anniversary and totally worth it. I can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Te 2nd time around.........OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/3/2014We arrived one evening when the electrical power had just been interrupted by a summer storm. The hosts were so apologetic and gracious that we returned a few nights later for dinner. Pretty room, excellent, warm & gracious service. Very good cuisine. Wines on the high side. Pianist for background music. Very pleasant evening.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!SuzyCreamCheeseDined on 7/1/2014Food is always consistent. Great variety of specials. Staff is professional and knowledgeable on recommendations for food and wine paring. Bravo Il Capriccio!! you've done a fantastic job once again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014This restaurant is expensive but worth it for a special evening. It was my fiftieth birthday and the staff was attentive to all of our needs. The piano player added ambiance to the already beautiful setting. The staff could not have been more helpful or attentive, and the meal was superb.Special Features:
- Great appetizers...Food4thoughtDined on 6/23/2014The apps were the best. Prosciutto with figs and gorgonzola. Awesome! But the main courses left a lot to be desired. We had the veal milanese, which seemed like veal francaise, and the roasted chicken, which had too much rosemary. The dessert was a raspberry crumb cobbler because they were out of apple - strange...not a lot of people there, so why would they be out? The dessert was good, but the apps were amazing. Not sure we'll go back but, if we do, we'll have apps and dessert.
- Great for special occasionsJoe12Dined on 6/20/2014Went here for dinner and was more than surprised. It was great food service and the setting was niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joyous dinnerWilliamDined on 5/30/2014Went for my birthday on Friday night. Had not been here in years. Alex was our waiter. A real professional. Service was great. Had the pasta bolognese for appetizer. Make my own, this was sublime. Rich tasting with perfectly cooked noodles. Our main courses were veal osso buco, melts in your mouth, and Bronzino , one of my favorites fishes. Understated deliciousness. Going back this Tuesday for a business meeting and Friday with friends. Love itSpecial Features:
- kathysDined on 5/24/2014Our server Louie was very informative since this was our first time going there. I would highly recommend. Enjoyed everything!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 232 reviews are from the Il Capriccio - NJ reviews archive.
- Delicious original Italian foodNicksfoodreviewDined on 5/21/2014You can see right from the menu, that they cook original Italian dishes from various regions, that you don't find in a lot of Italian restaurants in America.We started with home made pasta with ox tail - very tenderly cooked meat, the structure and taste of the pasta was Italian level (good), cooked "al dente" - this is how it should be. As a main dish we had lamb racks (I know this is not purely Italian :-)), medium rare, fresh spinach leaves - you cannot prepare this any better - highly recommended. Accompanied by an excellent bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon (Penfold Bin 707, Australia, $50). Restaurant highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/20/2014The service was very friendly and knowledgeable and the food was AMAZING!!!!Special Features:
- Great meal & ServiceRichDined on 5/17/2014Had an excellent meal with friends on Saturday night. The oyster appetizer was delicious as was the Osso Buco.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinner for twoGabrielleDined on 5/16/2014Il Capriccio is just the place for a romantic dinner for two. The ambiance is lovely and the service just perfect. We enjoyed the live music. It made the evening extra special. Dessert made table side was a great way to close the evening. We won't wait for a birthday to go back. A wonderful date night restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ItalianRobertDined on 5/13/2014Best fish I've had in awhile was one comment; excellent osso uco special; attentive service from an experienced waiter without being overbearing; everything about the place wa first rate.Special Features:
- Elegant,Outstanding Saucing,&PriceyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2014Step back in time to a white-tablecloth dining room with classic Italian-American feel, good service, and a wine list and sauces that are outstanding. A menu that is inventive and varied, with some wonderful choices. Some ingredients on a Saturday night could have been fresher, the waiter a little too quick to drain our bottle of wine but minor issues, really. Considering it was a Saturday night and it was sold out, it hit a benchmark of excellence that few suburban places do on their busiest nights. Look for the Flying Meatballs on this menu. And then the storefront a little further east on 10 that they also own, along with La Familglia in Mendham.Special Features:
- Excellent Night OutLogisticianVIPDined on 5/9/2014As is always the case l Capriccio never fails to satisfy no matter what the event or day of the week. The Pasta primi was a delight to the senses and the steak and Rabbit for the main course was a feast that pleased us both. Salvatore helped us make a wise decision with a wonderful Borolo. All in all it is a delightful restaurant that pleases on a consistent basis. The staff is extremely professional.Special Features:
- Special place, special treatmentRepastDined on 5/8/2014Dining at Il Capriccio is a consistently excellent, high-end experience. The staff is solicitous and attentive. The ambience and food are excellent. Lunch for four with entrees for all, two cocktails, two appetizers, and two desserts came to about $200.00.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion PerfectionAnSamDined on 5/6/2014Wonderful, attentive staff from valet through service. Very accomodating, polite and professional. Staff new menu well and had excellent suggestions for large table "family style" appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HollisterDined on 4/30/2014Food was good and the ambience was nice. The service was slow and the dinner took about 3 hours. It took a while for the drinks, placing our order and the two courses. We waited for our check for awhile and finally flagged down the waiter to recieve it. I have heard great things about the restaurant and i would expect our experience may be an anamoly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- would do it againgr8placeDined on 4/26/2014I took my wife here for our wedding anniversary, reserving a table was very easy, I did it on their website. The place itself is very nice, our waiter was Dennis who was very professional and knowledgeable. The food was outstanding, as were the desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occassionLovetodineoutVIPDined on 4/26/2014this was our first visit to this restaurant. I was disappointed we were put in the far back room where two large groups were placed. There were only two smaller tables and my husband and I were one of them. That being said, the server did a good job at accommodating everyone. We ordered seafood salad and beet salad to start. Both were delicious. For our main meal we had tuna and octopus. Both were also very good. We would go back here again.Special Features:
- Great evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2014Alex was a great waiter. Service was great as well as the food. Always a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Superb !CJMCVIPDined on 4/24/2014Everything was terrific, food was gourmet Italian with the best ingredients. Service was very attentive, but not overbearing... can't ask for better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!DisappointedDined on 4/22/2014From the moment we arrived until coffee and dessert, the experience was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2014We went to Il Capriccio for my daughter's 20th birthday since she is fond of Italian food. I would have rated this restaurant 5 stars if it had not been for the fact that they did not have some of the specials. The service was courteous. Wine list was excellent - plenty of choices for all price ranges. The seafood salad was great, so was the prosciutto appetizer. My wife ordered the branzino which was deboned and filleted before us. Rack of lamb was perfectly done although I really wanted the special which was not available. Beware that this is a quite an expensive restaurant - most entrees are $35. Not suitable for casual dining but great for special occasions. Will definitely go back though not in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful OverallWayneDined on 4/12/2014Great food, piano player, excellent service - a very comfortable and dependable place for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.