il Caminetto di Umberto
4242 Village Stroll
Whistler, BC V0N 1B0Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
il Caminetto di Umberto
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hotelvilladelia.com/restaurant_ilcaminetto.cfm
- Phone: 6049324442
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Piano Player- Doc Fingers
A word from il Caminetto di Umberto
Since it's 1981 debut, this restaurant remains King of the Mountain. Located in the heart of Whistler Village, Umberto Menghi's Il Caminetto expresses warmth and hospitality. Offering fine Tuscan cuisine at its very best accompanied by a large selection of international wines with the emphasis on Italian. Come for fun, relaxation, or romance to this cozy dining room, rich with colour and Italian charm. In the summer Il Caminetto's patio is the perfect place to "see and be seen" along Village Stroll. RESERVATIONS ON LINE FOR GROUPS UP TO 12 GUESTS ARE AVAILABLE. FOR LARGER GROUPS PLEASE CALL THE RESTAURANTContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
il Caminetto di Umberto reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
romantic (10)fit for foodies (8)great for outdoor dining (8)special occasion (7)notable wine list (6)scenic view (3)hot spot (3)good for groups (3)neighborhood gem (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Italian RestaurantFoodloverDined on 8/5/2014You can't go wrong with Umberto's and this restaurant is no exception. The outside dining in the summer was lovely as was the food. The price is a little high and the menu could be a bit more diverse. Overall, no complaints but didn't "wow me" given the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Umberto'swillgoagainDined on 7/30/2014Was very enjoyable, and the food was fabulous. Sitting outdoors this time - last time we had dinner inside. Both experiences were lovely.Special Features:
- Super food/experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Super experience - great night out. The food was simply amazing, fresh and delivered in great fashion.Special Features:
- RomanceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014This lovely resturant is romantic, cozy, and serves great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBrunchVIPDined on 6/30/2014We were expecting the great Umberto experience we have had over the years in his Vancouver location. We were very disappointed by the lack lustre service: long wait for drinks, no bread before our appetizer arrived, we had to ask for our wine to be served, distracted waiter etc. Won't be rushing back.
- A+Markkk604Dined on 6/20/2014Great food and great service! We will definitely be going back for dinner etc again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always returnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014Every time my husband and I are in Whistler we look forward to eating at Umberto. Just this last week I had five girlfriends visiting me in Whistler we enjoyed two nights at Umberto. Foods wonderful.Special Features:
- The following 252 reviews are from the il Caminetto di Umberto reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/17/2014We are glad we booked ahead. Very popular restaurant with warm and romantic decor. The service was fine, the food was good although salty. Pricing- high end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsmoonieDined on 4/12/2014We LOVE Umberto's and this visit was not disappointing. My husband and I took our daughter and her boyfriend. We started with cocktails, then moved onto wine, apps and dinner. The caribou was fantastic, as was the beet and bufalla mozzarella.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Signature dish disappointsFoodieDined on 4/5/2014Osso bucco with saffron risotto should have been the star performer on the menu but sadly the risotto was cooked to the point of a mush, was drowned in butter and the saffron flavour was absent. The gremolata was skimpy and the usually complex flavour combination was ultimately disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptional food and servicePaulineDined on 4/5/2014What an amazing place to dine. I have come to this restaurant in the past and it only gets better. Umberto was sitting behind us and made the effort to say HI and check up on our table. What a class act. The service, food and wine is exceptional. Nice to know the price point on wine is not ridiculous and the suggestions made by our waiter was bang on. Great sense of humour. I would highly recommend this restaurant as it is truly special and consistent over the years. I may even make a point to book the cooking school in Italy after this experience. Thank You.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Venerable Restaurant DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/1/2014We had eaten here in years past when we visited Whistler and at another Umbertos in Vancouver and had great memories but on this visit the quality of the food was just plain bad. A calamari salad had large slabs of meet which was tender but completely tasteless. My lasagne was inedible because the pasta was gummy. My husbands short ribs were plentiful but dry in a dish that should be very moist. Our waiter was good and immediately took the pasta off the bill. With Araxi, Rim Rock Cafe and the Red Door Bistro as competition, you would think Umberto 's would make more of an effort. There are so many excellent dining options at Whistler that no one should waste their money eating there.
- A Whistler favorite of minepogginsDined on 3/29/2014Our group of friends goes to Whistler annually, and many times we've eaten here or at the Trattoria di Umberto. While the scene at the Caminetto doesn't have the buzz of Araxi, we always have very good meals here, and we can hear each other. (The Tratt seems a little bit louder.) If you're a die-hard foodie this may not be the place for you; you won't find much in the way of experimentation nor way out-there delicacies. It's very good Italian food, though, and the service is also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best everOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/27/2014This was our best meal of the week. We all cleaned our plates. Wine was delicious. Server was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014Used to be my favourite restaurant in Whistler. Food not up to par. Will give it one more try before giving up on it.
- Refined dining in relaxedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014Refined dining in relaxed atmosphere. Dietary restrictions met immediately. Wine list superb. Osso bucco to die for, halibut special was exquisite - melted in your mouth. Portions perfectly sized to leave room for simply delicious lemon tart. Service was extremely attentive - not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply deliciousHungrywomanDined on 3/23/2014This restaurant is not a cheap option, but you do get what you pay for: excellent food, very good service, a great atmosphere, and overall an evening to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The table we were given, forOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014The table we were given, for three was not good enough. It was too small and placed right by the kitchen door. Waiters brushing passed my chair every few seconds. Actual collisions with my chair was about twelve. We had booked in advanced, another table was offered in the lounge, but that's not we came for. They just squeezed another table in with out any thought for their customers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The good things in life are not freOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014You can count on a great dining experience. With wine and tip, it's difficult not to spend less than $100 which is par for the course. I prefer the lounge where you can listen to the piano player twinkling the ivories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebrationLuigiDined on 3/11/2014We were there to celebrate a birthday, food was great. Service a little slow but very good. Some of the best food to have in Whistler.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/11/2014Although a little on the pricey side the food was exquisite , service was great and a moderately quiet atmosphere.Special Features:
- TheMOBOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/9/2014This one my favorite restaurants in Whistler. Great food, service and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great Food - Arrogant WaiterVictoriafoodieDined on 3/7/2014Six of us had dinner here on our last night at Whistler. March 6th, 7:00PM reservation. The food was excellent. The room was nice with good atmosphere. The server on the other hand was very full of himself and not attentive at all. Dirty dishes sat until we asked to have them removed. When the bill came (and it was pushing 1K) one of our group noticed an extra coffee on the bill. She politely mentioned it to the server who promptly pulled out a Toonie and said "this should cover it". We were shocked and offended. Time for HR to do some customer relation training.Special Features:
- We went to Umberto's for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/3/2014We went to Umberto's for dinner on our 30th Anniversary. Our first date for a drink had been at an Umberto's in Seattle that has been gone for many years. The waitstaff was friendly, helpful and very knowledgable. Service was excellent, the food was great. No had the Osso Bucco with saffron risotto which was perfect after a hard day skiing. My spouse had beef short ribs with polenta. Both were delicious. Great dinner on a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/28/2014We had a delightful experience and highly recommend this restaurant! It's been over a week and we are still talking about our meal. We were initially seated at an uncomfortable table and we were graciously moved to a much more pleasant spot.
- Money pitJebfromPortlandDined on 2/21/2014Some places exist so that people can just throw money around to make them feel like they're living life to the fullest. Il Caminetto is such a place. Perhaps the rent forces the owners to inflate the prices. Whatever the reason, this place is a waste of time And money. The food is not bad but given the other options available to diners in whistler, I would simply recommend going elsewhere. Alta Bistro or Elements are better priced and tastier on all fronts. Leave over priced, puffy chested, fine dining Italian to those who don't care.
- Our favorite restaurant in WhistlerNewcastlegirlDined on 2/21/2014We love our annual ski trip to Whistler and always make sure we visit il Caminetto di Umberto when we are in town. The food is great! Our party of 12 (3 families with kids) all thoroughly enjoyed our meals and evening. Not cheap, but so worth it. Our server, Doug, was awesome and helped to make our dining experience very fun and special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/17/2014It turned out to be a great place for introducing my out of town guests to Whistler dining out. It was a great success here and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing, amazing, amazing!MikeyZNYCDined on 2/15/2014Ate here on Feb 15th. First off, it was by far our best meal in Whistler. When we arrived at 8pm we were promptly seated (although 3 of us at a small table for two). Our server was knowledgable & attentive. We shared the calamari salad appetizer & spaghetti carbonara & both were delicious. I had the caribou special which was so lean & deliciously prepared! My sisters had the ahi tuna & halibut which were large portions & both cooked to perfection. We ended with the lemon custard tart and tiramisu which were elegantly prepared (although certainly not worth $14.95 each. We shared a nice bottle of Italian wine (great list) and were never rushed which was nice for a crowded Friday in Whistler. Highly recommend when you are in town!Special Features:
- Whistler's finestnosherDined on 2/15/2014This is one of the finest reataurants anywhere. We've been going to Whistler for over thirty years to ski and have visited Il Caminetto every single time and have never been disappointed. Prices are on the high end, but the food quality and level of service completely justify it. Waiters are extraordinarily well trained, knowledgeable, good looking and very attentive without hovering. Over the years the menu has changed as, no doubt have the chefs, but has been consistently varied and immaginative. Take your wife, a date, a group of friends or your whole family (though it's a little pricey for kids who'd rather be earing hot dogs). Every visit to Umberto's feels like a special occasion and you will want to return as often as we have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whatever's on the menu is good!SushifreakDined on 2/14/2014We were there on Valentine's day as 2 couples. This allowed us to try different things, including rabbit, deer, Atlantic char (available only 2 months out of the year), and foie gras. They were all wonderful, but portions could be larger. We did get full, though. The mussels were also amazingly plump and juicy! We selected a $40 wine which satisfied us all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, get a new sommelierbillpetersDined on 2/14/2014Great food, an excellent choice for a nice meal in Whistler. The wine department could use some work. While the wine list is impressive, the execution is a bit off. First, the sommelier that was working when we were there is a strange person. If you are not a Whistler local he is not interested in any small talk with you. He was more interested in spending time chatting with his friends at other tables than actually providing any sort of service. Secondly, he came and poured a relatively expensive bottle without presenting the bottle or allowing anyone to taste. Once the bottle was fully poured and sitting empty on the table did we notice that the vintage was the wrong year than what we ordered.Special Features:
- Lovely Dining ExperienceDj522VIPDined on 2/11/2014We were lucky to be here mid week during the winter as it wasn't particularly busy. The service was attentive and friendly. The food was excellent. We shared a salad, which was very crash (and plenty for 2). My husband had the carbonara which is a favorite of his. I had the pasta with shellfish and cherry tomatoes from their seasonal menu, which may well have been the best seafood pasta dish I've ever had! Unfortunately, no room for dessert. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, Great food...FoodandVinoLoverDined on 2/9/2014We went to Umberto's with friends and once again we were not disappointed :) We had a very attentive waiter who was very knowledgable about the menu and wine list. I had the Risoto which was delicious and the other pasta dishes were also great. The lobster bisque was amazing and everyone had a great time and excellent meal. I have never had a poor dining experience at this restaurant. It's a bit pricier than other restaurants but the service and food is well worth it :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seated in the BarSteveTDined on 2/8/2014The food was outstanding, the service was outstanding, but we were seated in the bar and for at least the first half of our meal, we had to practically yell across the table to talk due to the noise level. I made reservations over a month in advance and expected better.Special Features:
- Truly one of the best in Whistler!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/25/2014We would definitely return and try to il Caminetto every year. Although there are two Umberto restaurants in Whistler, il Caminetto is our favourite. It has an extensive wine offering and a great Italian menu with many options. The osso bucco with saffron risotto was amazing. Four of us shared two orders of this and the kitchen kindly plated individual servings. Everyone agreed it was delicious. The salad of buffala mozarella over sliced beets...delicious! One of our guests commented that the Tirimisu dessert was best ever. The service is usually very good. Staff were attentive upon arrival, but our server became a little overwhelmed upon the arrival of several large parties. It is still an excellent restaurant and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2014One of the best restaurants anywhere for quality of atmosphere and ambiance. Food and service always exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious! The tendered calamariFitForFoodVIPDined on 1/16/2014Delicious! The tendered calamari salad melted in our mouths. Entrees of sablefish and cannelloni were perfectly prepared and presented, as were the desserts. Great food and attentive service in a beautiful room.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special requestsWhisfoodieDined on 1/15/2014I had made a special dietary request and the team took such care to provide me just as an exciting and delectable meal as my fellow diners.Special Features:
- ExcellentAndyDined on 1/9/2014Very good food and service. One of the best restaurants in Whislter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.