500 Fell Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://ilborgosf.com/index.html
- Phone: 4152559108
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine
A word from Il Borgo
Il Borgo is a small gem located in Hayes Valley, with one of the best Chef’s, he comes from Milano and makes homemade pasta and bread from scratch. If you really want to go to Italy but don’t want to travel that far, stop by Il Borgo’s cozy & charming Italian restaurant where Chef Sergio Frigero will make you some of the best Italian cuisine in the entire city.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Il Borgo reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)romantic (11)good for groups (10)kid-friendly (8)fit for foodies (7)special occasion (5)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Better than North BeachCarlVIPDined on 10/18/2014Be sure to reserve using OpenTable; otherwise you'll have to wait to get into this small (~50 tightly packed seats) and charming place. Compared to the well-known North Beach restaurant we had visited the night before, this was so much better. Good, fresh bread. Unusual menu items (try the lasagnetta--rolled lasagna filled w/ prosciutto & mozzarella) plus all the classics. Friendly service. Bustling atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Time at Il BirgioOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014What a superior restsurant! From the monent we entered this cozy and charming place, we were quickly seated by a friendly person, and from then on, the servie was outstanding, from answering questions on the memu, caring that we not order anything that could bring on one of our allergies, ringing thre food -- all with great friendliness and professionalism. And the food! We shared a delicious anchovie -cheese pizza; I had a most extraordinary pasta bolognese. A superior espresso topped it off, and we were off to Davies Hall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 10/7/2014We have driven by many times and said I wonder if this place is any good? Well we finally went there and it was fabulous. Delicious everything. Fresh baked bread, homemade pasta dishes cooked perfectly. We will return for sure. Our new neighborhood Italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick before theatre mealluv2dineDined on 9/19/2014This restaurant was a last minute find and we were happy to find it! Try their red sauce with hot Italian sausage - yum. The restaurant is a quaint neighborhood gem. The service was good. The only negative was finding a place to park. Despite the parking difficulty we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PastadijoedVIPDined on 9/19/2014Love their gnocchi and their bruschetta. Delicious Italian food! I will go there again and again for reliable and authentic Italian food.Special Features:
- Good PlaceRosieDined on 9/13/2014The service was great. The salad and other appetizers were great. My entree was ok. Vegetables tasted watery and gravy was too thick. Friends entree was superb.Special Features:
- Lovely place to enjoy Italian foodLadyLovesMusicDined on 8/25/2014If offered on the menu I always try the gnocchi - my favorite pasta. Il Borgo's gnocchi was perfect. Light, melt in your mouth puffs of potato. Brava!! Hostess and chef were charming and I plan to return many times in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonable Italian in Hayes ValleywinkstoyouDined on 8/23/2014Cozy restaurant with amiable staff. Started with the capaccio. No had this raw beef appetizer before. It was perfect starter. Then we had the rolled lasagna, so talked about had to try. It was,delicious. Enjoyed the artichoke ravioli and the fettucine bolognase, all very good. Suggestion on beverages...offer ice for water. Do offer a wider wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisyForQuietDiningDined on 8/22/2014We came here based on Open Table ratings. The food was ok but nothing special. The major problem was the noise. The restaurant filled up with an under 40 crowd and the noise became uncomfortable. If you don't mind a lot of noise, the food is ok and reasonably priced.
- Charming and DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/31/2014The service was great, very attentive! The place was quite charming and the lasagna rolls were excellent. Definately a cute little neighborhood gem in Hayes Valley. I would go back again!
- Always Great!SJKbDined on 7/25/2014My husband & I have eaten here many times - sometimes just the two of us and sometimes with friends. The staff is always welcoming and the food delicious and authentic - we love the thin crust pizzas!Special Features:
- myeatsDined on 7/25/2014This Northern Italian Restaurant serves homemade bread hot out of the oven and homemade fettuccine pasta, both are very delicious, perfectly cooked. The primavera sauce was creamy and not overpowering. The stuffed lasagne with homemade pasta was very good. The Teramisu dessert was the best I have ever had. Chianti reserve wine was also very good. Excellent service.Special Features:
- Bring cashAlmaDined on 7/24/2014They don't accept (like?) credit cards. Otherwise an ok place with ok pasta and pizzas. Reasonable prized.Special Features:
- Honest food in a quiet placeHuby40Dined on 7/19/2014Authentic Italian recipe, few choices but all we had was perfect. Not so many wine and mostly italians. Could have local CA wines in addition. Warm service and good quality/price ratio.Special Features:
- Charming neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/16/2014Nothing amazing or overly fancy, but cozy, warm, and always delicious. A perfect mid-week date night spot. The food is consistently good, and the lovely Italian waitress is always really friendly.Special Features:
- Delizioso!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/16/2014We really enjoyed our meal and experience at Il Borgo! Very friendly hostess/waitress, great service, excellent food. We loved the casual, authentic atmosphere for a mid-week meal. The pastas were fresh and house-made; we had the artichoke raviolis and rolled lasagne - so good! The tomatoes in caprese salad tasted like they were just picked from the garden. Only miss was there was no panna cotta on the menu for dessert, but we'll still come back again :)Special Features:
- Great Little Neighborhood PlacerustyMLSDined on 7/2/2014I discovered this restaurant through Open Table when looking for an inexpensive place for dinner before attending a concert at Davies. It's almost exactly what you expect of a small, neighborhood Italian restaurant, right down to the Chianti bottles with candle wax dripping down the sides. The food was great--generous portions and very tasty. I'd go back for the broccoli side alone. The server, upon learning we had about an hour to eat, got our orders in right away and the food out quickly. It's about a ten-minute walk from Davies/the Opera House--close enough to be convenient yet distant enough to not be overrun with other ticket holders. It wasn't very busy, but it's on the small side--a reservation won't hurt. We'll definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find for half the priceSouthbayFoodieDined on 6/28/2014I'm so glad we found this little gem through Opentable.com. The food was outstanding, and their prices are half of what other neighborhood restaurants charge.Special Features:
- renoVIPDined on 6/28/2014Great pasta, great value. Great people-watching. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good location and yummyMsMjDined on 6/26/2014This homey restaurant doesn't have curb appeal. but once inside it is charming. The tables, the walls, the overall ambience was a throw back to the 60's italian places. The food, however, is clearly 21st century. I had a roasted chicken breast stuffed with porcini mushrooms and mozzarella covered with a rich mushroom sauce. The potatoes were crispy outside tender and tasty inside. This came with a very reasonable portion of cooked just right, slightly garlic flavored, bright green broccoli. My friend had the saltimboca, which she enjoyed. This is a pocket neighborhood of shops and restaurants. I saw two open biergartens, one Smitten ice cream "portable" bar, a juice truck and many shops. An adventure for someone from the burbs.Special Features:
- The following 44 reviews are from the Il Borgo reviews archive.
- A great place for pre-concert dineHurricaneDined on 6/13/2014I love this place for great food for a reasonable price. It is great for walking distance to concerts in the Hayes Valley area. SF Jazz, Opera House, Davies Hall.Special Features:
- Good familyhoneeNmeeDined on 6/3/2014I have been passing Il Borgio for years, thinking it looked family but not sure if it would be family I would like, or family that I'd rather avoid. I finally organized a group of friends to go and try it. It was just what I was hoping, good family. Not super friendly, but nice. Not fancy, but homey. The kind of place my parents would take us to when i was a kid. I ordered the bolognese. The homemade pasta is great, and the sauce was authentic and yummy! My husband ordered a sausage ziti, also yum. We did not care for green the salad. Bitter radicchio not our thing. My friends loved the gelato. The serving is very large. I thought the tiramisu was delightful. The wine is good. It's a good place. Not fancy. My husband and I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation Plus +DaveVIPDined on 5/24/2014We arrived at Il Borgo only to find a graduation party of about 20 people in festive mode. We thought this is going to be an impossible situation because there are only about 12-14 tables. We were immediately seated and the service was good. The bruschetta starter was the best I've had (garlic so strong it singed the tongue) The fusilli/eggplant with thick tomato sauce was very good. My partner's artichoke ravioli was very tasty but had too much red pepper for us. The Italian wines were fairly priced. Everyone seemed to take an interest in the graduate and we personally congratulated her as we left the restaurant; and our dining time was perfect. Great neighborhood restaurant!Special Features:
- Pleasant relaxed dinnerMusicianDined on 5/17/2014I arrived earlier than my reserved time. I was made to feel welcome. Service was professional and efficient. I did feel like I was in Italy! I loved my ravioli. Ambiance was tranquil.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TurkishTomDined on 5/3/2014The food was very good & our party of 6 enjoyed the experience. The service was rushed in the beginning & then toward the end of the meal we had to ask another server for more water, asked someone else if we could order dessert. It then took awhile to get the check. I would however go back. The food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great simple foodFearyourselfDined on 4/25/2014Small little restaurant that gave really good food like you would find in Italy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old fashionednhubermanDined on 4/12/2014This is an old fashioned Italian restaurant. Nothing wrong with it, just nothing really special about it either. Water glass was a bit murky. Sent it back and got a clear one. Not expensive. Food was adequate.
- Ballet night meaiOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/11/2014We had 6:30 reservations prior to an evening at the ballet (8:00) curtain. We were seated promptly and our orders were taken promptly too. Finished dinner in plenty of time. I had the lasagnette - the dish was smothered in a cream sauce which is not very Italian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to Civic CenterTomBDined on 4/11/2014We were able to get reservations before a symphony date We ordered bruschetta as an appetizer, and it was loaded with fresh red ripe tomatoes, and fresh basil. My wife ordered spaghetti carbonara. It was served plain with bits of pancetta. My wife liked it, but noted it was slightly dry. I ordered the veal piccata, and it was great. The sauce was wonderful, but the meat was slightly tough and slightly dry. We shared homemade pistachio gelato. It was wonderful with a creamy texture. The service was friendly and attentive, without being too much! This is a very small place, with a capacity of maybe 15 or 20 patrons. It is easy to find, and is a 10 minute walk from Davies Symphony Hall. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud Music Adds to IndigestionSFCAVIPDined on 4/3/2014We were put off by the loud music, which sounded like it was Latin which did not match the fun Italian decor & food. I go to restaurants to enjoy the food & be with my friends and not listen to loud music - that is what a bar or disco is for. I got the impression that the music was for the kitchen staff. My dining companion asked the waitress to lower the volume, which she did. The food? I though it was odd that my friend's pasta had the same sauce as my ravioli. His pasta was presented as if it had been dropped into boiling water and not stirred, and the paste was in coiled tightly on the plate. If one does not have great expectations they will probably be happy to eat at Il Borgo.
- fun spotAMD115Dined on 3/22/2014Nice neighborhood spot...food was good with Lasagneta being exceptionally good. Service is spotty...they're delightful and friendly but a bit overwhelmed...certainly recommend this place with reasonable expectations on service.Special Features:
- Eh...at bestAndrewVIPDined on 3/15/2014The food was mediocre at best and the service was subpar. We started with caprese and never even got bread. Our silverware arrived after our food. For entrees, we had the bolognese with "fresh" pasta (not sure if it was fresh even though the menu said it was) and the penne funghi (only one type of mushroom by the way). Neither were anything to write home about.
- Fast trip to ItalyJoyskiVIPDined on 3/15/2014Excellent and large portion of gnocchi in creamy rich pesto sauce. Others had rich and well prepared pasta dishes. Salads very good and fresh. Will return at a later dining time, as 6 pm on Saturday seemed to stretch the staff--service was quite good, but a little rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cook's night off?FrugalFoodieVIPDined on 3/12/2014We love Italian food and eat a lot of it. Maybe Il Borgo's cook was having a bad day, but our two pastas were pretty uninspiring. The tomato sauce was bland, the chicken pieces, while generous in quantity, were undercooked. Some grated Parmesan cheese might have helped but didn't seem to be available. The service was friendly but very slow; the one server was energetic but seemed badly over worked. On the positive side, prices for food and wine were OK, the bread was good, and the place has a comfortable neighborhood feel.
- Disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/12/2014The evening started fine. We explained to the waitress that we needed to leave the restaurant to make a show by a certain time. Food came in plenty of time. Once we got the bill, it took too long for her to pick it up. We were past the time we needed to leave. When she did pick it up, she said "We don't take American Express." and walked away instead of waiting for me to give her another card. We then got up and took the bill and new card to her. She said, "Don't you have cash? This will take awhile." I was stunned and felt as though I was being held up over credit card fees. A bad ending to what could have been a nice dinner experience. I could not recommend this restaurant. I hate to say that, but I just couldn't after this experience.
- A nice little neighborhood spotb4showDined on 3/11/2014We enjoyed a casual dinner here before the symphony. It's a friendly welcoming place, and the food is hearty and good. The service was a little slow, due to understaffing (there was a Help Wanted sign in the window and one person was waiting all the tables) so allow enough time if you have a deadline.Special Features:
- Molto BeneAmyDDined on 3/6/2014I came here with my husband about 12 years ago... pregnant. We had a fabulous meal and have not forgotten it. Our honeymoon was in Italy, so I have an appreciation of good Italian food. I had not been back as I do not live in the area, but came back recently with my girlfriends. We had a wonderful dinner. I had the Veal Saltimbocca. Girlfriends had the vegetarian lasagne, lobster ravioli and something else... Most of their pasta is hand made there. The service was exceptional. I wish I lived closer.Special Features:
- It was a fantastic experience.Easy2PleaseDined on 2/28/2014It was a fantastic experience. The food was exceptionally delicious and we are still raving about it 3 days later. The service was spot on...friendly and helpful with perfect timing. The atmosphere was charming, cozy and energetic. We left with happy hearts and bellies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming family owned andLMinHayesvalleyDined on 2/25/2014Charming family owned and operated in Hayes valley. Always comfortable and relaxingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I felt as if I was back inOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/25/2014I felt as if I was back in Italy where my family used to live. Their Tiramisu was exactly the same wonderful dessert I remember from my visits in Italy; It was a wonderful experience chatting in Italian with the owner and enjoying a great dinner before the ballet . We will certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.