1309 Grant Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.idealerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (415) 391-4129
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30 PM - 10:30 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:30 PM - 11:00 PM, Sunday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Maurizio Bruschi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact us for more information.
- Special Events: We will open for large parties at lunch. Please contact us for details.
A word from Ideale
"For an authentic Roman holiday without the airfare, this undiscovered North Beach gem is worth seeking out."Continued
A bright, colorful Italian restaurant, Ideale is the modern version of a traditional Roman trattoria. It is "festive and boisterous...la vera cucina italiana." Ideale has been bringing a slice of Rome to North Beach for over 20 years with it's highly acclaimed chef, Maurizio Bruschi. Maurizio hails from four generations of Roman chefs, lovingly taught by his grandma, la Nonna Serafina. The pastas and breads are all homemade and the ingredients are hand-picked daily. The 2011 Zagat guide gave Ideale a 24 for food and wrote that the "Italian fare is the real deal...one of the few no tourist eateries in North Beach..excellent pasta and pizza..the service makes you feel like a friend..a delightful experience." Ideale has won numerous awards, including being listed in Zagat's "Best Italian Restaurants in America" and The Chronicle's "Best Pasta in North Beach."
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ideale reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (70)fit for foodies (51)notable wine list (26)special occasion (24)romantic (23)good for groups (20)late-night find (8)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- like being in Italylive4foodVIPDined on 11/25/2014Always a favorite neighborhood Italian with Italian heard spoken amongst the staff, giving it the feel of being in Italy. Great home baked bread. Fabio has been there forever and we always ask to sit where he serves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the best!AntonioDined on 11/21/2014We discovered Ideale almost 12 years ago. We will occasionally try other Italian restaurants in North Beach just to keep things in perspective. The food quality at Ideale is always excellent. Great wine list & waiters. Ideale maintains a good health department rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experinceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/21/2014Although we had good food at Ideale, we were ignored by the service staff throughout the visit. Ordering a second glass of wine for my husband was a challenge. The service seemed to be better for regular customers. It was a birthday dinner for my husband and it was a disappointing experience.Special Features:
- Roman HolidayOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 11/13/2014These guys have been making great dishes since day one. Great service, friendly family atmosphere. Soul satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ideale - YEsNasturtiumDined on 11/11/2014We had a very pleasant experience. The food was beautifully and simply presented, and the flavors on each dish were distinct, with nice complexity balanced with lots of subtlety. The staff was sweet, attentive without being intrusive. The room was small enough to feel intimate, with charming aesthetic and an artistic feel. I especially liked the tile incorporated into the decor. Definitely worth the trip to the city to have dinner here.Special Features:
- Expected good, got great!RushedVIPDined on 11/8/2014Had the best grilled calamari I've ever eaten. Homemade tortellini with veal was terrific. It was more of a popular neighborhood place than a SF tourist spot. We will come back.Special Features:
- Food QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 11/8/2014The service and ambiance were good but the Italian food was just average. I got the lasagna. Would not return.
- perfect North Beach Italian dining!LisaDined on 11/5/2014Intimate yet friendly and the food is authentic. We had 3 waiters (all Italian) serving our table of two. Food was delicious and served hot and on time. Right on Grant St. in North Beach and many of the stores stay open late. Fun to walk around after dinner. Make sure to burn off the pasta with a hike up to Coit Tower. Best views of the City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- micko8doctoreDined on 11/4/2014pleasant north beach restaurant with a family feeling. we were welcomed at the door and seated right away. I judge the food at a good Italian restaurant by the way the cook the linguini and clams. This one was to dry and needed additional spice to cheer it up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad checkItalianDined on 11/1/2014Food mediocre. Service bad. Wine on the lower end. Ravioli did not seem to be fresh. Risotto not well cooked. Finally we got a check from the table next to us 50% over ours. Tiramisu was good but vanila filled dough not.
- Ideals was ideal!LipsmackerDined on 10/27/2014I agree with the other 5 star comments. Seafood salad and homemade pasta were divine. Desserts were outstanding. Wine list excellent. Most of all appreciated discussion with staff on source of cheeses. So fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Evening !!TravelingDiner22Dined on 10/26/2014You know it's a great place when other industry people show up there to eat after they finish working somewhere else. The food was wonderful, service was great and very helpful in selecting our wince choice, and the atmosphere was vibrant while still allowing room for conversation. We cannot wait to go back !! We sat at the bar and had a great time chatting with the server / bartender. Ask about the caramel flavored after dinner drink that they make themselves ;)Special Features:
- MattOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014Perfect homemade pasta. We will be back ASAP! We tried several dishes, split them and can't wait to return to try more. Great spaghetti and clams and Zuchini/ truffle appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cameronDined on 10/22/2014Very good Roman style dishes at reasonable prices with a reliable wine list. Just a couple blocks off Columbus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trovare un Magnificiant!ManeroDined on 10/20/2014This is an amazing find in Little Italy. What a gem! Authentic food, outstanding service, and provides you the feel of being in Italy! We loved it, and recommended it to several people that were part of the conference I was attending in San Francisco. I didn't want to say "Ciao!"Special Features:
- Outstanding as usualcgfoodieDined on 10/18/2014I've been to Ideale several times and have never had a bad experience. A great selection of Italian wines, and the food is always good. I had the Proscuitto wrapped pears, and the Parpadelle with Lamb Ragu...both were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not memorableTexasDinerDined on 10/18/2014Good, authentic Italian cuisine, but not a "lick the plate clean" quality. Very noisy and felt a bit rushed when taking our order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic as usualSFlocalDined on 10/14/2014I've been going to Ideale for years and it is always great. The service, the wine list, the food always reliable. It is my favorite place to take friends from out of town. It always impressed them. Thanks to Fabio and Marizio for another great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fussydinerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Ideale has an authentic Italian atmosphere, great food and attentive service. Loved to hear Italian spoken in the background. Exceptional selection of wine. Zuppa di Pesce was delicious and I look forward to try other dishes.Special Features:
- Great homely ItalianAussiegirlDined on 10/9/2014A Classic Italian. If you want great pasta this is your place. The pasta and sauces are all homemade and delicious. There is a great selection of starters as well as meat main dishes too. And the Affogato for desert was fabulous. The restaurant is casual and cosy - it's all about good food rather than a place to be seen. It's tucked away off a main street and worth looking for. It's not fine dining just great food.Special Features:
- Disappointed This TimeMiketheGreatAuditorDined on 10/8/2014Been here 3-4 other times. Service was bad this time - even though I told staff it was my girlfriend's birthday. No offer of cracked pepper (that always irritates me, esp. in an Italian restaurant), no offer of more bread and more drinks (although waiter did recommend a very nice bottle of wine). Food even seemed to be a bit blander this time. Just all around a blah experience when I had better times before. Will probably try another place in a few months when I am back in town; do not want to risk another experience like this one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Joyous Return to an Old FavoriteJMLinPNSVIPDined on 10/7/2014My husband and I ate two to three times a week at Ideale when we lived on Telegraph Hill 15 years ago...since moved to NW FL. I returned with friends this past week and was so delighted, first to see wonderful Maurizio and then to experience another perfect Roman italian meal. The fish, as always, was sublime...I had the roasted Bronzino...simple and delicious...fettuccine with porcini and truffles (generous large shavings!) with olive oil and garlic..wonderful starters, including endive with prosciutto (some of the best ever) and balsamic, and a cloud light Tiramisu....great wine recommendation...It was perfect. My friends said it was one of the best meals they'd ever eaten. Entertaining is never more successful than that!Special Features:
- Excellent real Italian foodJswaxDined on 10/5/2014Saltimbocca, pastas, seafood, and wine list all excellent. Can't wait to try more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North Beach GemscottcDined on 10/4/2014I have been seeking great Italian food in San Francisco for years... The best Italian food in North Beach!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 9/30/2014Hadn't been to Ideale for a couple years, but remembered having a great meal there. Our dinner last night lived up to our memory about this authentic Italian restaurant. The gnocchi with meat sauce is to die for! Our meal was fantastic, and the tiramisu dessert was an oustandingly delicious ending. And, we love the fact that the chef and staff are Italian. So nice to hear the language of my ancestors spoken. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A trip to Italy in North Beach!BarbVIPDined on 9/29/2014I love this place! It's not at all touristy. It's a great Italian restaurant with Italian staff that offers wonderful service. Our group never made it past the appetizers, pizza and pasta, so no one had an entree. But I would recommend the pears wrapped in proscuitto, house or Caesar salad and almost any pasta. I had the vongole. The clams were the smallest, sweetest ones I'd ever seen. So good! My husband had the mixed seafood pasta and loved that. We had two orders of the veal stuffed ravioli, and that was also a big hit. For dessert, the pana cotta is perfection. Good tiramisu also. Mangia!Special Features:
- PatLDined on 9/27/2014We live in Wisconsin, and we only get to San Francisco every couple of years, but we ALWAYS go to Ideale! It's a wonderful place with great food and friendly service. Now, if we could only import it to Wisconsin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in North BeachSHOPPER1VIPDined on 9/20/2014Freshly made pasta... a rarity... great location.. NOT ON COLUMBUS!!... real Italian servers/owners....a plus... and simply great food at a great price.Special Features:
- needs another bathroomOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014The only thing I can knock them for, is that there was a line 3 people deep for the bathroom all night. I don't want to wait 10 minutes for bathroom while i'm at dinner. Other than that, overall great experience. Service and food was outstanding!Special Features:
- Disappointing THIS timeUncertainDined on 9/6/2014I have been a fan of this place, recommending it to others and going regularly, always pleased with the result. But this past Saturday was different. We will be back, as no one bats 1,000, but the ball is now in Ideale's court--to please and not disappoint again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time impressions were great!CallMeTubaDined on 9/6/2014We made a reservation here on Open Table and based out choice off the menu. It was very easy to get to and a beautiful space. We each ordered an appetizers (Burrata & Zucchini E Truffle). The Zucchini E Truffle was amazing. For dinner my boyfriend ordered the Gnocchi Alia Ricotta. I ordered the Spaghetti Alia Carbonara. We shared bites but we each loved out dish. For desert we tried the tiramisu and Gelato. Bother were excellent. We loved out meals and would definitely recommend going back again to try new dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CrappyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Food was poor and didn't eat the sea Bass. very expensive!!
- Ok at bestJustokDined on 9/5/2014Restaurant was dead yet servers were unattentive, there was a dead fly on my bread plate, foot was just ok, nothing impressive, was looking for a place close to Beach Blanket Babylon show which it was but wasn't worth convenience
- Good, not greatLPinFLVIPDined on 9/3/2014We were looking for a restaurant convenient to Beach Blanket Babylon, and someone recommended Ideale. It was okay. If you're headed here, you won't have a bad meal, it's just that none of us were wow-ed. It's fine; I'm sure we could have done better or worse.
- Our favorite Italian spotDusty30Dined on 9/2/2014My girlfriend and I absolutely love Ideale. Everytime we go the good is impeccable and the service is top notch. This last time we went we ordered our usual two salads; the shaved fennel and zucchini salads, a bottle of persecco and the ravioli with squash. All the ingredients fresh, flavorful and never over salted or too greasy, it's perfect! Nearing the end of the meal, cleared our plates and just brought us dessert. It was very kind and a perfect cap to the time at Ideale! We will be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KathyVIPDined on 9/2/2014Had a wonderful meal at Ideale with friends - excellent service and food. The chef/owner came to talk to us (with Italian accent) - these guys are the "real deal" - (homemade) pasta and sauce were excellent. Also I had eggplant parmesan and it was delicious! In the heart of North Beach on Grant Street - good location and comfortable seating/service (not rushed). I highly recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ideale always consistangPauloVIPDined on 9/1/2014This neighborhood restaurant features authentic Italian food with all Italian servers. All dishes are consistent and reasonably priced. Great service as well.Special Features:
- Outstanding!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/31/2014One of the best italian restaurants I have ever been too. The food was simply amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinerVIPDined on 8/31/2014Large selection of pasta dishes with a great variety of sauces. Generous portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated!HopeDined on 8/30/2014My Husband and I attempted to celebrate our both birthdays at this over rated restaurant. We had reservations and I even specified that we were celebrating our both birthdays. We had to wait for our table and then they seated us in a corner of the restaurant. We had to squeeze in to the spot. It was so warm that my husband began sweating. Food was subpar. My veal was very very tough. And the portion was tiny. I would never recommend this place to anyone. Service was fine, nothing out of the ordinary. There was absolutely no celebration offered for our birthday. I do not recommend this place to anyone. There are far better dining establishments in the area such as "The House."