1309 Grant Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.idealerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4153914129x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30 PM - 10:30 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:30 PM - 11:00 PM, Sunday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Maurizio Bruschi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact us for more information.
- Special Events: We will open for large parties at lunch. Please contact us for details.
A word from Ideale
"For an authentic Roman holiday without the airfare, this undiscovered North Beach gem is worth seeking out."Continued
A bright, colorful Italian restaurant, Ideale is the modern version of a traditional Roman trattoria. It is "festive and boisterous...la vera cucina italiana." Ideale has been bringing a slice of Rome to North Beach for over 20 years with it's highly acclaimed chef, Maurizio Bruschi. Maurizio hails from four generations of Roman chefs, lovingly taught by his grandma, la Nonna Serafina. The pastas and breads are all homemade and the ingredients are hand-picked daily. The 2011 Zagat guide gave Ideale a 24 for food and wrote that the "Italian fare is the real deal...one of the few no tourist eateries in North Beach..excellent pasta and pizza..the service makes you feel like a friend..a delightful experience." Ideale has won numerous awards, including being listed in Zagat's "Best Italian Restaurants in America" and The Chronicle's "Best Pasta in North Beach."
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ideale reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (69)fit for foodies (48)notable wine list (24)special occasion (20)good for groups (20)romantic (18)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- cameronDined on 10/22/2014Very good Roman style dishes at reasonable prices with a reliable wine list. Just a couple blocks off Columbus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as usualcgfoodieDined on 10/18/2014I've been to Ideale several times and have never had a bad experience. A great selection of Italian wines, and the food is always good. I had the Proscuitto wrapped pears, and the Parpadelle with Lamb Ragu...both were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not memorableTexasDinerDined on 10/18/2014Good, authentic Italian cuisine, but not a "lick the plate clean" quality. Very noisy and felt a bit rushed when taking our order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic as usualSFlocalDined on 10/14/2014I've been going to Ideale for years and it is always great. The service, the wine list, the food always reliable. It is my favorite place to take friends from out of town. It always impressed them. Thanks to Fabio and Marizio for another great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fussydinerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Ideale has an authentic Italian atmosphere, great food and attentive service. Loved to hear Italian spoken in the background. Exceptional selection of wine. Zuppa di Pesce was delicious and I look forward to try other dishes.Special Features:
- Great homely ItalianAussiegirlDined on 10/9/2014A Classic Italian. If you want great pasta this is your place. The pasta and sauces are all homemade and delicious. There is a great selection of starters as well as meat main dishes too. And the Affogato for desert was fabulous. The restaurant is casual and cosy - it's all about good food rather than a place to be seen. It's tucked away off a main street and worth looking for. It's not fine dining just great food.Special Features:
- Disappointed This TimeMiketheGreatAuditorDined on 10/8/2014Been here 3-4 other times. Service was bad this time - even though I told staff it was my girlfriend's birthday. No offer of cracked pepper (that always irritates me, esp. in an Italian restaurant), no offer of more bread and more drinks (although waiter did recommend a very nice bottle of wine). Food even seemed to be a bit blander this time. Just all around a blah experience when I had better times before. Will probably try another place in a few months when I am back in town; do not want to risk another experience like this one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Joyous Return to an Old FavoriteJMLinPNSVIPDined on 10/7/2014My husband and I ate two to three times a week at Ideale when we lived on Telegraph Hill 15 years ago...since moved to NW FL. I returned with friends this past week and was so delighted, first to see wonderful Maurizio and then to experience another perfect Roman italian meal. The fish, as always, was sublime...I had the roasted Bronzino...simple and delicious...fettuccine with porcini and truffles (generous large shavings!) with olive oil and garlic..wonderful starters, including endive with prosciutto (some of the best ever) and balsamic, and a cloud light Tiramisu....great wine recommendation...It was perfect. My friends said it was one of the best meals they'd ever eaten. Entertaining is never more successful than that!Special Features:
- Excellent real Italian foodJswaxDined on 10/5/2014Saltimbocca, pastas, seafood, and wine list all excellent. Can't wait to try more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North Beach GemscottcDined on 10/4/2014I have been seeking great Italian food in San Francisco for years... The best Italian food in North Beach!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 9/30/2014Hadn't been to Ideale for a couple years, but remembered having a great meal there. Our dinner last night lived up to our memory about this authentic Italian restaurant. The gnocchi with meat sauce is to die for! Our meal was fantastic, and the tiramisu dessert was an oustandingly delicious ending. And, we love the fact that the chef and staff are Italian. So nice to hear the language of my ancestors spoken. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A trip to Italy in North Beach!BarbVIPDined on 9/29/2014I love this place! It's not at all touristy. It's a great Italian restaurant with Italian staff that offers wonderful service. Our group never made it past the appetizers, pizza and pasta, so no one had an entree. But I would recommend the pears wrapped in proscuitto, house or Caesar salad and almost any pasta. I had the vongole. The clams were the smallest, sweetest ones I'd ever seen. So good! My husband had the mixed seafood pasta and loved that. We had two orders of the veal stuffed ravioli, and that was also a big hit. For dessert, the pana cotta is perfection. Good tiramisu also. Mangia!Special Features:
- PatLDined on 9/27/2014We live in Wisconsin, and we only get to San Francisco every couple of years, but we ALWAYS go to Ideale! It's a wonderful place with great food and friendly service. Now, if we could only import it to Wisconsin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in North BeachSHOPPER1VIPDined on 9/20/2014Freshly made pasta... a rarity... great location.. NOT ON COLUMBUS!!... real Italian servers/owners....a plus... and simply great food at a great price.Special Features:
- needs another bathroomOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014The only thing I can knock them for, is that there was a line 3 people deep for the bathroom all night. I don't want to wait 10 minutes for bathroom while i'm at dinner. Other than that, overall great experience. Service and food was outstanding!Special Features:
- Disappointing THIS timeUncertainDined on 9/6/2014I have been a fan of this place, recommending it to others and going regularly, always pleased with the result. But this past Saturday was different. We will be back, as no one bats 1,000, but the ball is now in Ideale's court--to please and not disappoint again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time impressions were great!CallMeTubaDined on 9/6/2014We made a reservation here on Open Table and based out choice off the menu. It was very easy to get to and a beautiful space. We each ordered an appetizers (Burrata & Zucchini E Truffle). The Zucchini E Truffle was amazing. For dinner my boyfriend ordered the Gnocchi Alia Ricotta. I ordered the Spaghetti Alia Carbonara. We shared bites but we each loved out dish. For desert we tried the tiramisu and Gelato. Bother were excellent. We loved out meals and would definitely recommend going back again to try new dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CrappyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Food was poor and didn't eat the sea Bass. very expensive!!
- Ok at bestJustokDined on 9/5/2014Restaurant was dead yet servers were unattentive, there was a dead fly on my bread plate, foot was just ok, nothing impressive, was looking for a place close to Beach Blanket Babylon show which it was but wasn't worth convenience
- Good, not greatLPinFLVIPDined on 9/3/2014We were looking for a restaurant convenient to Beach Blanket Babylon, and someone recommended Ideale. It was okay. If you're headed here, you won't have a bad meal, it's just that none of us were wow-ed. It's fine; I'm sure we could have done better or worse.
- Our favorite Italian spotDusty30Dined on 9/2/2014My girlfriend and I absolutely love Ideale. Everytime we go the good is impeccable and the service is top notch. This last time we went we ordered our usual two salads; the shaved fennel and zucchini salads, a bottle of persecco and the ravioli with squash. All the ingredients fresh, flavorful and never over salted or too greasy, it's perfect! Nearing the end of the meal, cleared our plates and just brought us dessert. It was very kind and a perfect cap to the time at Ideale! We will be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KathyVIPDined on 9/2/2014Had a wonderful meal at Ideale with friends - excellent service and food. The chef/owner came to talk to us (with Italian accent) - these guys are the "real deal" - (homemade) pasta and sauce were excellent. Also I had eggplant parmesan and it was delicious! In the heart of North Beach on Grant Street - good location and comfortable seating/service (not rushed). I highly recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ideale always consistangPauloVIPDined on 9/1/2014This neighborhood restaurant features authentic Italian food with all Italian servers. All dishes are consistent and reasonably priced. Great service as well.Special Features:
- Outstanding!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/31/2014One of the best italian restaurants I have ever been too. The food was simply amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinerVIPDined on 8/31/2014Large selection of pasta dishes with a great variety of sauces. Generous portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated!HopeDined on 8/30/2014My Husband and I attempted to celebrate our both birthdays at this over rated restaurant. We had reservations and I even specified that we were celebrating our both birthdays. We had to wait for our table and then they seated us in a corner of the restaurant. We had to squeeze in to the spot. It was so warm that my husband began sweating. Food was subpar. My veal was very very tough. And the portion was tiny. I would never recommend this place to anyone. Service was fine, nothing out of the ordinary. There was absolutely no celebration offered for our birthday. I do not recommend this place to anyone. There are far better dining establishments in the area such as "The House."
- Excellent Grilled CalamariOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014I will never be able to enjoy fried calamari again now that I have had the fresh grilled item on arugula and lemon. Also, some great Italian wines available in an affordable range.Special Features:
- Don't miss the homemade pastaevamarieVIPDined on 8/25/2014This is a real find in the North Beach neighborhood. The pasta is all homemade, as is the bread. The lasagne is not to be missed.Special Features:
- One of the few really ItalianxfrankyDined on 8/19/2014One of the very few Italian restaurants which actually serves real Italian food instead of the objectionable Italian-American dishes which every other restaurant cooks but that do not actually exist in Italy. The Insalata di Mare and Gnocchi alla Ricotta really felt like at home. Service was acceptable but not stellar, somehow "Italian" (I'm Italian and I know it...). Reserved through Opentable but the waiter couldn't find the reservation (no idea whose fault it was).
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Great pasta - close to the food I've had in rome. Service was great, not stuffy and funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014Comfortable spot. Pleasant people. Good food. We will be going backSpecial Features:
- DeliciousParastooVIPDined on 8/15/2014Our food was really great. I had the spaghetti with clams and I enjoyed every bite. The service is great too. We arrived 30 min early and they sat us right away.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return!FoodeesfDined on 8/15/2014Great food, servers, bartender provided wonderful service. We had to wait for our reservation but the bartender kept us happy! Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable and consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/14/2014Consistently good after many many years. A great place to enjoy good Italian food and be able to talk to your guests. Just a bit off the beaten track so it doesn't feel over run with tourists.
- Favorite restaurant in North BeachaodiciccoDined on 8/13/2014Year after year Ideale continues to be my favorite restaurant in North Beach! The cuisine is authentic and the atmosphere is exactly how you want it to be; energetic, welcoming and very Italian!Special Features:
- Fresh Italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/13/2014We had a wonderful meal at Ideale last week, all four entrees were excellent.My friend accused us of making her fat (!) by taking her to such good places to dine in San Francisco. We will definitely come back when we're in town again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authentic and freshnovice1Dined on 8/11/2014as visiting out-of-towners, stumbling on this place was a great find !Special Features:
- This place should be on your "list"MichaelVIPDined on 8/11/2014Our entry into the restaurant was not an "easy ride" however once we got past the miserable person who "welcomed" diners we were treated with incredible care and kindness to let us relax into an wonderful meal and experience. I wish I knew the name of the gentleman who took over and care of us as he was phenomenally welcoming/accomodating. My wife and I will certainly return.Special Features:
- Always GreatFabioVIPDined on 8/11/2014Maurizio and his crew are simply the Best. They are friendly, fun and they serve what I know is authentic Italian food.Special Features:
- You've been to Italy?OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/8/2014If you've been to Italy, Ideale will give you that same experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.