1309 Grant Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.idealerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4153914129x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30 PM - 10:30 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:30 PM - 11:00 PM, Sunday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Maurizio Bruschi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact us for more information.
- Special Events: We will open for large parties at lunch. Please contact us for details.
A word from Ideale
"For an authentic Roman holiday without the airfare, this undiscovered North Beach gem is worth seeking out."Continued
A bright, colorful Italian restaurant, Ideale is the modern version of a traditional Roman trattoria. It is "festive and boisterous...la vera cucina italiana." Ideale has been bringing a slice of Rome to North Beach for over 20 years with it's highly acclaimed chef, Maurizio Bruschi. Maurizio hails from four generations of Roman chefs, lovingly taught by his grandma, la Nonna Serafina. The pastas and breads are all homemade and the ingredients are hand-picked daily. The 2011 Zagat guide gave Ideale a 24 for food and wrote that the "Italian fare is the real deal...one of the few no tourist eateries in North Beach..excellent pasta and pizza..the service makes you feel like a friend..a delightful experience." Ideale has won numerous awards, including being listed in Zagat's "Best Italian Restaurants in America" and The Chronicle's "Best Pasta in North Beach."
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ideale reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (60)fit for foodies (43)notable wine list (22)special occasion (20)good for groups (18)romantic (17)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- dinerVIPDined on 8/31/2014Large selection of pasta dishes with a great variety of sauces. Generous portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated!HopeDined on 8/30/2014My Husband and I attempted to celebrate our both birthdays at this over rated restaurant. We had reservations and I even specified that we were celebrating our both birthdays. We had to wait for our table and then they seated us in a corner of the restaurant. We had to squeeze in to the spot. It was so warm that my husband began sweating. Food was subpar. My veal was very very tough. And the portion was tiny. I would never recommend this place to anyone. Service was fine, nothing out of the ordinary. There was absolutely no celebration offered for our birthday. I do not recommend this place to anyone. There are far better dining establishments in the area such as "The House."
- Excellent Grilled CalamariOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014I will never be able to enjoy fried calamari again now that I have had the fresh grilled item on arugula and lemon. Also, some great Italian wines available in an affordable range.Special Features:
- Don't miss the homemade pastaevamarieVIPDined on 8/25/2014This is a real find in the North Beach neighborhood. The pasta is all homemade, as is the bread. The lasagne is not to be missed.Special Features:
- One of the few really ItalianxfrankyDined on 8/19/2014One of the very few Italian restaurants which actually serves real Italian food instead of the objectionable Italian-American dishes which every other restaurant cooks but that do not actually exist in Italy. The Insalata di Mare and Gnocchi alla Ricotta really felt like at home. Service was acceptable but not stellar, somehow "Italian" (I'm Italian and I know it...). Reserved through Opentable but the waiter couldn't find the reservation (no idea whose fault it was).
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Great pasta - close to the food I've had in rome. Service was great, not stuffy and funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014Comfortable spot. Pleasant people. Good food. We will be going backSpecial Features:
- DeliciousParastooVIPDined on 8/15/2014Our food was really great. I had the spaghetti with clams and I enjoyed every bite. The service is great too. We arrived 30 min early and they sat us right away.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return!FoodeesfDined on 8/15/2014Great food, servers, bartender provided wonderful service. We had to wait for our reservation but the bartender kept us happy! Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable and consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/14/2014Consistently good after many many years. A great place to enjoy good Italian food and be able to talk to your guests. Just a bit off the beaten track so it doesn't feel over run with tourists.
- Favorite restaurant in North BeachaodiciccoDined on 8/13/2014Year after year Ideale continues to be my favorite restaurant in North Beach! The cuisine is authentic and the atmosphere is exactly how you want it to be; energetic, welcoming and very Italian!Special Features:
- Fresh Italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/13/2014We had a wonderful meal at Ideale last week, all four entrees were excellent.My friend accused us of making her fat (!) by taking her to such good places to dine in San Francisco. We will definitely come back when we're in town again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authentic and freshnovice1Dined on 8/11/2014as visiting out-of-towners, stumbling on this place was a great find !Special Features:
- This place should be on your "list"MichaelVIPDined on 8/11/2014Our entry into the restaurant was not an "easy ride" however once we got past the miserable person who "welcomed" diners we were treated with incredible care and kindness to let us relax into an wonderful meal and experience. I wish I knew the name of the gentleman who took over and care of us as he was phenomenally welcoming/accomodating. My wife and I will certainly return.Special Features:
- Always GreatFabioVIPDined on 8/11/2014Maurizio and his crew are simply the Best. They are friendly, fun and they serve what I know is authentic Italian food.Special Features:
- You've been to Italy?OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/8/2014If you've been to Italy, Ideale will give you that same experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian made from scratchJayP80Dined on 8/8/2014We were seated immediately upon arrival. The food was delicious and made from scratch. Our server was friendly, and our portions were moderate. We felt that we got good value for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible experienceLove2eatDined on 8/8/2014We were crammed next to the 3 other tables with guests. We immediately asked for a larger table, but were denied. The waiter was not able to service any table without bumping into the person or other table. The tiny, tiny two top was so small the bread had to be removed to serve the appetizer. The food was was horrible and served warm. By the time we left, only one other table had been set, so they could have easily made their diners comfortable. We were so disappointed as we were told the owners were from Italy. We were hoping to enjoy food that we had experienced in Rome.
- great house-made pastaOrchestraLoverDined on 8/8/2014I went on the recommendation of a friend. Lots of seafood options, including grilled calamari - yummy. The ricotta gnocchi were light, fluffy little pillows in a flavorful beef ragu. The waitstaff was attentive and service was quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodDaveDined on 7/28/2014Real italian cousine in San Francisco. Friendly staff and good meals. I loved the gnocchi, even the "cotoletta" is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came well recommendedCCHMDined on 7/28/2014Good food, great staff and a full on a Monday night. Did not live up to the several recommendations , so perhaps I need to give it a second try. I had the whole fish special, tender but rather bland. The dinning room noise level is high, very loud.Special Features:
- IdealeAndyDined on 7/27/2014Ideale is a good choice if you are in North Beach and want to avoid the touristic restaurants on Columbus Street. Ideale is located a block over on Grant Street which tends to be more quiet. The waiters at Ideale are Italian and speak Italian which is nice. They were polite and service was good. The food is good but not the very best Italian cuisine I've had. Portions of some dishes (e.g., ravioli) could be larger for sure. The ambience is nice and the noise level moderate. They have an extensive wine list. I would eat at Ideale again as their prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- desireeVIPDined on 7/25/2014The restaurant had suffered from a power outage, so the staff was a bit stressed. That may be the reason they did not register the Open Table reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth Repeat VisitsMayyaVIPDined on 7/19/2014If you are looking for authentic Italian food that doesnt get caught up in the gimmick of North Beach you have found it. Please don't pass on the tortellini. It is simply amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best of ItalyzbuilderDined on 7/19/2014Having read favorable reviews, we were eagerly anticipating a memorable experience at Chef Maurizio's cozy location in the heart of North Beach. Sadly, it was not to be. The two of us were crammed into a tiny table in the corner. While the spaghetti carbonara had freshly made pasta, its pancetta was fatty and parmesan was dry, seemingly just sprinkled from a jar. They shouldn't offer this signature dish until they can re-create the way it's served in Rome. The pasta in the lamb papardelle was mushy, with thick tomato sauce smothering the other ingredients. At least the grilled calamari salad and the lemon gelato were delightful. But our dinner simply doesn't compare with what we enjoyed in Italy.Special Features:
- CarmelOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014fantastic food very authentic felt like we were in ItalySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing and rewardingSFfanDined on 7/18/2014Our waiter was personable; with a strong Italian accent. I asked him to slow down a bit on the specials and he did so graciously. The food items were all beautifully prepared and presented, spiced so well. For instance: the zucchini julienne in olive oil and truffles transformed ordinarily very "ordinary" zucchini into a marvel. The same for all else; ambience is classy and relaxing; a place to return to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighboprhood Gemhle415VIPDined on 7/16/2014Once in a while you discover a little neighborhood gem. This is one of them.Special Features:
- Classic Italian menu, great pastaMixedUpBurgerDined on 7/13/2014Appetizers, pizza and pasta were outstanding. Very reasonably priced, and good selection of wine. Small neighborhood place, can get very snug and a little noisy depending on your seat. Decent service. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal here and recommend it to anyone looking for traditional Italian fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but not greatsundinDined on 7/13/2014Nice neighborhood restaurant in North Beach and a solid dining experience. We were a party of four who arrived early for our reservation. The host was friendly and seated us right away. The wait staff was attentive and the atmosphere was nice. Not your typical white table cloth Italian restaurant. Instead, petty colors and interesting art adorn the walls. The food was good but nothing to write home about. Solid but no "oo's or aah's". A nice, cozier alternative to other Italian places in North Beach.Special Features:
- Authentic Italian FareLydiaFanDined on 7/13/2014Every time we travel to San Francisco, we make it a point to stop in for dinner at Ideale. The chef's authentic Italian fare never disappoints. On this occasion we enjoyed fresh local calamari, grilled with organic arugula; thinly sliced beef carpaccio with arugula, capers and parmigiano; bucatini with homemade pancetta and pecorino cheese in a fresh tomato sauce; and a special preparation of homemade fettuccine in a light cream sauce with a generous shaving of fresh black truffles! Delizioso! The reasonably-priced wine list (by bottle, half bottle and glass) and cocktails complimented the meal nicely. Too bad we didn't have room for the profiteroles for dessert! Keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant but nothing specialsfmotherVIPDined on 7/11/2014Branzino was over-cooked, grilled vegetable entree insufficient quantity for a meal, and none of the dishes were hot enough. Place feels past its prime.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesLbarchitectDined on 6/28/2014We have been dining at Ideale for many years, but hadn't dined there for several. Were quite glad that they were still in business and were just as delicious. Enjoyed the burrata and the carpaccio for appetizers and loved the delicious lamp chops.Special Features:
- Best Italian in North BeachCandaceDined on 6/26/2014Great place, excellent food-everyone cleaned their plates. Service is excellent, all the waiters are Italian!!! Beautiful salads, pasta is a MUST, excellent entrees. Save room for dessert, the panna cotta is the best. The atmosphere is welcoming, outstanding food and service. Ideale has it all....and handsome waiters too!!!!Special Features:
- Service and Noise LevelLeeGeeDined on 6/26/2014For the food, I can highly recommend Ideale! However, the service fell short and the noise level was excessive. The staff was not attentive. Despite having made a reservation, when we entered the restaurant we waited for someone to notice us even though it was early and few tables were full. As the restaurant filled, the noise level rose significantly. (It had previously been noisy due to the staff. Perhaps they raised the bar for noise.) By the time we ordered dessert, our order was very nearly "thrown" on the table. It was off putting and left me feeling that I would not return, even though the food was well prepared. For me, the price did not fit the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect spot for any occasionwinesnob88Dined on 6/23/2014This was a great find. It was recommended to me from my bosses that had been going there for years. The ambience is quaint, and even though the tables are close together, you still felt you could talk to others at your table without straining. The wine list was superb, and the staff was very attentive. The best part about this restaurant was the price point for the quality/quantity of food that we received. Most of the dishes were under $25 and healthy portion size. I cannot wait to go back on my next visit to SF.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/23/2014Our waiter was charming and very accommodating, the food was extremely fresh and delicious. wonderful figs with prosciutto, zucchini, and tomato and buratta appetizers were wonderful pasta and mixed grilled fish also delicious...........very authentic Italian and delicious.Special Features:
- Solid Italian foodyumhoundVIPDined on 6/21/2014I first had dinner at Ideale around 20 years ago when I went with a native Italian who pronounced it very good. It's a solid mainstay in North Beach, serving food a cut above the tourist-heavy pasta houses on Columbus. It's not perfect -- the service can feel a bit rushed and some of their dishes are just OK -- but it's good. Things I've had that I've liked: antipasti plate; grilled calamari salad; pastas; saltimbocca. One thing I did not care for was the special squash blossom pizza -- the combination of delicate squash blossoms and very strong anchovies didn't really work. But they get points for using squash blossoms. This is a good choice in North Beach.Special Features:
- Great PlaceIWANTICECREAMDined on 6/20/2014Recently had dinner at Cafe Ideale, and I was very impressed. The ambiance is great, the server was friendly and welcoming, and the food was perfect.Special Features:
- True Italian cuisineDrMangoVIPDined on 6/15/2014We love this place. It is small and charming. When you are there you could easily pretend you are in Italy. The food is as good or better than most Italian restaurants we visited in Rome and Tuscany. Have the Ravioli Di Zucca you will not be disappointed.Special Features: