Ichiban Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar – Minneapolis
1333 Nicollet Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55403Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Ichiban Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar – Minneapolis
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ichiban.ca/
- Phone: 6123390540x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm. Reservations are for teppanyaki dining only.
Our regular menu is not available for VALENTINES dinner. Ichiban will be offering a fantastic set menu dinner cooked teppanyaki style for Valentines. The dinner includes filet mignon, lobster and teriyaki chicken with a shrimp appetizer, clear chicken broth vegetable soup, and a cucumber salad with kani-kama. Fried rice is included. White chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream will be served for dessert. All this for only $50 + tax + 18% gratuity per person. We hope to see you for VALENTINES!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steakhouse, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Tatsuki Yamamoto
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sushi platter are available on request.
- Private Party Facilities: Ichiban's upstairs dining room can be reserved for groups of 100 or less. Please call for information.
- Private Party Contact: Jim Reynolds 612-339-0540x
- Entertainment: Ichiban is the Best Tasting Show in Town because the chef prepares the meal right at your table!
- Special Events: Our regular menu is not available for Valentine's Evening. That night we offer a set menu dinner cooked teppanyaki style for $60 ++ tax ++ 18% gratuity. The dinner features our clear chicken broth vegetable soup, cucumber salad with crabmeat, shrimp appetizer, steamed or fried rice, and steamed vegetables. The entree is a combination of filet mignon, lobster and teriyaki chicken. For dessert we will be serving white chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream. A vegetarian dinner is available for $40. Childrens' dinners are $30. This is a night you won't want to miss!
- Cross Street: Grant (Between 13th & 14th)
- Public Transit: The light rail stops between 4th and 5th on Nicollet. We are at 1333 Nicollet.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We do not offer validated parking. There is a public ramp for the Hyatt Hotel directly across the street from our entrance and a ramp available to the public for the Millenium Hotel next door to our restaurant. Both ramps charge $7 for the evening after 4pm.
A word from Ichiban Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar – Minneapolis
Ichiban features the 5000 year old method of Japanese cooking where chefs skillfully prepare the dinner at your table. "Iron cooking" or Teppanyaki is the heart of our cuisine. Our Teppanyaki chefs are wizards of the knife, each with their own style and showmanship. Ichiban also features an all you can eat for one hour sushi bar every night of the week. A full bar is available with beer, wine, liquor and sake. The main floor is handicap accessible, so please request if needed. Happy hour specials are available Monday thru Friday in the bar. Enjoy specials on beer, wine, sake and several appetizers and types of sushi in a quiet atmosphere. We also have Early Bird specials, including a discount on the sushi bar every day of the week and discounts on Teppanyaki meals Sunday through Friday. Early Bird is from 4:30 to 6:00pm.Continued
Reservations are only for teppanyaki and are not available in the sushi bar.
Reservations are only for teppanyaki and are not available in the sushi bar.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Ichiban Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar – Minneapolis - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Ichiban Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar – Minneapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (52)good for groups (49)kid-friendly (18)fit for foodies (7)romantic (6)hot spot (5)neighborhood gem (5)great for lunch (4)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014We had a fun family celebration at Ichiban. The food was good and we had excellent service. We look forward to going again.Special Features:
- Not EmpressedUNEmpressedEmpressDined on 8/27/2014This was my first & last time at Ichibans. I am glad that I tried this place but I will not go there again. It needs major updating- its almost kind of dirty...the chairs were extremely uncomfortable, the water at the table was warm. The Bartender wasn't very friendly, and when I asked about drinks/specials he was very nonchalant, took forever to come to back and see if I had even decided on a drink. The server was great. I could tell she had been there for years. Our chef was good as far as entertaining & friendly. The food was a combination of salty and not seasoned at all- unsure if this was because of the chef or the type of seasoning that was used. Not a fan of their soup or salad.Special Features:
- Less than expected at IchibanOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014First, I have eaten at many Japanese restaurants. Nick, the chef at our table was by far the best Teppanyaki chef I have ever experienced...which is saying a lot for a young, tattooed, white guy. And that's about all the good I have to say about Ichiban. We arrived at 6:45pm for a 7:00pm dinner reservation. We were told we couldn't be seated until 7:00pm. We were finally seated at 7:35pm. Our chef, Nick, didn't come to the table until 8:00pm. I ordered the Filet Mignon and Scallop combination. The meat was a piece of steak...but it was not Filet Mignon. It was tough and it had a lot of grizzle.
- EntertainingctryjbDined on 8/23/2014Plenty of food and entertaining for everybody of all ages.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/13/2014While our OUS guests enjoyed the dinner very much, the experience fell well below my expectations. I was disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm and showmanship by the chefs.
- way better than benihanajojoDined on 8/8/2014Food was delicious theveuce is to die for I live this place way Better than benihana. Benihana has gon too commericial. Ichibans is authentic Hibachi cusineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014We were in town for a convention and the restaurant was recommended by a local. The food and service were great. Our group had a variety of things from the menu and there were no disappointments. The lobster and filet melted in my mouth! The chef and servers were prompt and fun.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014If you want the best in Japanese Cuisine I highly recommend Ichiban Japanese steakhouse and sushi bar, the teppanyaki and sushi bar are both delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KelliDined on 8/1/2014We had a great cook and very fun time, our server was great with the kids and explained everything ver wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeFirsttimerDined on 7/28/2014It was my first time and I thought the food and service were awesome. It was a Monday night and the restaurant was quiet.Special Features:
- Family OccasionBrianDined on 7/26/2014Dined with three of my granddaughters over from England. They were very impressed, me too. Food was excellent and the chef very entertaining. Will certainly go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time and food!FoodMama612Dined on 7/25/2014My husband and I had a wonderful time. We liked the ambiance of the restaurant and the attentive staff. Our chef was hilarious! Ichiban's is great for couples or groups!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as AlwaysndfoodieDined on 7/23/2014This was our 5th visit and we always enjoy the experience. We love the Silverlight Steak Surf and Turf meal. The Lobster and Steak are cooked to perfection and the flavors are spot on. It is always fun to get to know different chefs, new people, and overall have the dining experience we desire. This last trip we had a table with 3 families and each had a birthday so it was a really great show and fun celebration for all. The chef made a heart out of the vegetables and spelled out Happy Birthday in salt in the middle - we all got to take pictures of it and the little girl it was originally done for was tickled pink. This is always a great time and we make sure we eat here every time we come to Minneapolis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to beThomasDined on 7/13/2014Our Japanese cook, (Mike from Woodbury) should not pretend to be Japanese. It was almost insulting. The food was good, but definitely not as good as it used to be.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014Food was very average. Quality of sushi was sub par. Better sushi in the wilds of Montana by far.Special Features:
- Not the samecfeik2457Dined on 7/5/2014We love coming to Icheban for special occasions. Usually we can count on great food and a fun evening but our experience this time was just not the same. Our vegetables weren't cooked through, and most of the other items weren't very flavorful. Fortunately our server was entertaining as we're our table mates.Special Features:
- Preparer wasn't very energeticLynnwood85Dined on 7/3/2014I have been here several times and was always a good time. Our preparer wasn't very energetic and didn't do many trucks just cooked which is the fun part of going. Food was good. There was a very obnoxious child at the table that ruined this experience. Me being a parent I understand some disruption but this was beyond annoying. Paying over 100 dollars for two people I expected better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plenty of FoodHappycustomerDined on 6/28/2014We received good portion sizes and enjoyed our experience. We had a newer chef and he was not as entertaining as some we have had in the past or others that were around us, but he still put on a good show and had fun with us. Always a good spot!Special Features:
- Food was less than desirable.Foodie0810Dined on 6/28/2014The restaurant was lovely, the service was great, but the food was not good at all. My family enjoys these types of restaurants where the chef cooks in front of you. This restaurant's food, was by far the worst we have had. The shrimp was rubbery, the lobster wasn't much better, and the filet didn't seem to taste like a filet. We were very, very disappointed.
- Yummyr2boyzDined on 6/26/2014Based on a Yelp Review, I took my daughter's volleyball team to Ichiban's for a celebratory dinner. Much to my surprise, it was a very delicious meal, while at the same time very entertaining. We are from California, and there are many teppanyaki's - and I have to admit, by far, Ichiban's food was much better! The girls all admittedly were in awe of the food and never held back with their compliments. The shrimp appetizer was their favorite, as well as the fried rice. Since I was traveling with a lot of cash, I paid with Visa gift cards - a big pain. The manager was super nice and accommodating, when he could have easily turned them down, and asked for another form of payment. Thank you, Ichiban for a scrumptious meal!Special Features:
- Special Occasion SpotAvgJoeDined on 6/21/2014Went for a special occasion and Ichiban delivered! Great food and fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with a ShowCarinaDined on 6/21/2014I had never been to a Japanese steakhouse before, but sort of knew what to expect. The food was good, and the process was entertaining. It was a little strange to interact with restaurant staff nearly the entire meal, but it was a fun change of pace. In today's dining climate where many diners seek out local food and independent restaurants, it seems there is a shrinking demand for such a gimmicky--though delicious--experience.Special Features:
- Hit the MarkHappy2havedinedDined on 6/8/2014As soon as we hit the pavement outside the front door, the compliments flowed! Best meal ever. Better than Fogo. Even the vegetables tasted good. I'd have to agree with all these comments. The meal started with a tasty chicken broth vegetable soup and the cucumber salad was sweet and refreshing. I had the Superior dinner and all five samples of the entrees - filet mignon, lobster, shrimp, scallops and teriyaki chicken were delicious. The fried rice was oh so buttery. And then the green tea ice cream for dessert provided the proper ending to it all. By the way - my son had the Sterling Silver beef that is on special and we all tried it - unbelievable! Compliments go out to the whole staff for an unforgettable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Tasty ExperiencelovedoveDined on 6/6/2014The food and and overall experience was great. Our service from both the wait staff and chef was impeccable! The sushi was phenomenal. Our only concerns were: 1) the restaurant was extemely slow for a Friday evening, which minimized the ambiance. Also, we we're disappointed with portion sizes of the seafood and protein items, particularly in comparison to price paid. Overall, we strongly recommend Ichiban's and will be dining again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightful!LauraDined on 5/31/2014A bit pricy, but you get tons of food and they basically put a show! Worth every penny for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatLovegr8foodDined on 5/29/2014Waitress was wonderful as well as the food. Would go back again. They have an early bird special for those of you who want to so save some money!Special Features:
- TerribleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014Seemingly run down. Left before ordering our food.
- Fun place but not on training dayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/10/2014We visited in celebration of my daughters 13th birthday and her first hibachi experience. The food was very tasty. However, it was on a day where there was a new chef being trained in. He was very competent in his job but he did not have the showmanship skills in his cooking as other more experienced chefs would have. I was disappointed as I have been to this location before and the previous chefs were outstanding. We also experienced a mix-up with the orders as he was serving and my son ended up not receiving his correct order. The server did correct it by removing a portion of the food charge from our bill. It was just an ok experience. I wish it had been a more excitingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014food was very good. Ou chef, Alex put on a very good show and made the evening enjoyable.Special Features:
- A little chaoticOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2014It is always a fun place to go to, but this time, it seemed a bit unorganized. Our chef did our appetizers at various times, meaning mine came at the end of the meal. My dad has his steak served first, then rec'd some rice, then, his appetizer, etc. Just very confusing, and some of our party did not receive their food because of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 781 reviews are from the Ichiban Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar – Minneapolis reviews archive.
- DisappointedFoodie99Dined on 5/1/2014Was looking forward to nice show and dinner. I knew it was down hill when they served veg soup to start. They put LOTS of sauce on all the food. And It seems as one sauce fits all dish cooking. Show??... What show.
- Fun night with friendsVivaDineDined on 4/26/2014Went over to Ichiban's after a Volleyball tournament at the Minneapolis Convention Center. Always a fun night out if looking for something with some energy. Adults were able to eat at one end of the prep table and teenagers on the opposite. Food is always good and what you expect.Special Features:
- feedbackOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014The food was great. The hostesses at the entrance were rude. We had a chef in training which made the experience less exciting, but he did okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday spotStasiaJGDined on 4/25/2014My first time here. I took my boyfriend for his birthday. All I will say is this place is way better then Benihana's food and especially show wise. If you've never been make this your next stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SavvydinerDined on 4/23/2014I was surprised to see at 445 when we arrived that we were the only people in the restaurant. (They have a great early bird special.) Our server was ok. Not very welcoming, but ok. Chef was not good ( he had a hickey on his neck and wasn't very presentable. Food was not good. When we left at 610 it was clear to me why the place was still empty. (As we were leaving, there was finally 1 other group arriving.) After all the additional add-ons, pay to park, ok service, not great chef or food, we will stick with Osaka! Much better bang for your buck. Unfortunately Ichibans has been a go-to place for our family for years. But I'm really not sure we'll be back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Great server crummy chefDoyourjobDined on 4/17/2014Our server was very good with our kids, 2 1/2 & 5yrs old! She was speedy, polite & really on the ball. Our chef was paying more attn to her trainee than us. She missed the first lighting of the onion & couldn't crack with egg on the spatula, I was embarrassed for her. Nevertheless the food tasted wonderful & was cooked very well. Even the trainee, cooked the chicken well. However, it's the entertainment that we were hoping for. This was my kids first experience with Teppanyaki. With your reputation, I expected a fun show. Instead, we overpaid for good food. We chose to tip since the server was good & the food was prepared well. At this point, I will not visit Ichibans again. After all, it's the show that I pay extra for.Special Features:
- Fun two hoursDaveVIPDined on 4/11/2014By far the best teppanyaki experience in the Twin Cities. The chef was a riot and constantly playing with our six year old and two four year olds (As well as the two other families at our 12 top table). They were all mesmerized by his knife skills and tricks as well. Great value for a two hour dining experience. Everybody went home with a doggy bag.Special Features:
- Great food, less entertainmentcazzimaDined on 4/8/2014This was like the 6 or 7th time I have been to Ichibans. I love the food, I really like the atmosphere. My favorite part though is being entertained by the chef. Since the my first time experience, it seems like the 8 table around the chef ambiance has changed. The chef's are not as (for lack of a better word) "entertaining" as they once were. But high marks on their skill and the restaurant's delicious food and drinks. Oh, one other thing, I am not a fan of liver, so I usually decline their chicken liver. I took the substitute appetizer. What happened to their chicken wings? I don't recall them being "spiced" before. Oh well, I could be wrong. Overall, I had a great time.Special Features:
- Takes Some TimeDCis4DiningDined on 4/5/2014Good food and a great experience, but be sure you have plenty of time and don't arrive on a super-empty belly. You'll get plenty of food and have a good time watching them prepare it, but it takes about 45 minutes to get any food in your belly and about 1 1/2 hours for the full experience from arrival to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun experienceLitoDined on 4/5/2014Ichiban is a fun experience. Our Teppanyaki chef was quite entertaining. The decor of the restaurant is fine, though a bit dated and tired. We were seated upstairs which was smokey and didn't offer much in terms of atmosphere. The entrees were great...delicious shrimp, scallops, steak and chicken. We were perplexed as to why they chose a liver appetizer to be included with the meal. Seems like a lot of people don't like liver. We weren't offered the tea which was included with the meal. Dessert of green tea ice cream was good. Overall, it was a fun and good experience....but I'm not sure it seemed worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.